NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How long would you wait on the waitlist?

Forever until I die
35%
Until a few days before classes start somewhere else
19%
A few weeks
17%
I wouldn't wait on the waitlist because I can't take waiting anymore
22%
I didn't even apply
7%

Total votes: 139

zeglo

Silver

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby zeglo » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:13 am

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:10 am

---
Last edited by SybillAnnDorsett on Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:19 am

zeglo wrote:1. Do LSAT and gpa affect the special scholarships programs? Or are they irrelevant once you get in?

Pretty sure they still play a big part.

badgalriri9

New

Postby badgalriri9 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:11 pm

!
Last edited by badgalriri9 on Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:13 pm

badgalriri9 wrote:So.......I thought it was useless to write "Why/interest" essays for HYSCCN because they already know how amazing they are. Multiple sources informed me that these essays wouldn't make a huge difference in acceptance chances to the top 6.

That being said, NYU is one of my top choices and upon reading that other TLSers submitted Why NYU essays, I'm feeling kind of worried. Should I be? I submitted a couple weeks ago so I don't think it'd look great to submit one now as an addendum though...

I heard from various consultants that there are bunch of top ranked law schools that actually prefers applicants NOT to send Why X essays....NYU is one of them.

I'm saving my Why NYU essay for if I'm waitlisted :?

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:15 pm

---
Last edited by SybillAnnDorsett on Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomgirl

New

Postby tomgirl » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:20 pm

mm2368 wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
badgalriri9 wrote:So.......I thought it was useless to write "Why/interest" essays for HYSCCN because they already know how amazing they are. Multiple sources informed me that these essays wouldn't make a huge difference in acceptance chances to the top 6.

That being said, NYU is one of my top choices and upon reading that other TLSers submitted Why NYU essays, I'm feeling kind of worried. Should I be? I submitted a couple weeks ago so I don't think it'd look great to submit one now as an addendum though...

I heard from various consultants that there are bunch of top ranked law schools that actually prefers applicants NOT to send Why X essays....NYU is one of them.

+1000000 seriously, do not send it unless waitlisted. they know why they're great - they need to know why YOU are.

That being said, I wrote a Why NYU essay and got in last week. From my anecdotal experience, you're not going to be rejected because you showed extra interest.

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:23 pm

---

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:23 pm

I wrote a why NYU but it was pretty specific, it wasn't like "you're a great school" but really indicated concrete reasons why it's my top choice

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:24 pm

tomgirl wrote:
mm2368 wrote:

+1000000 seriously, do not send it unless waitlisted. they know why they're great - they need to know why YOU are.

That being said, I wrote a Why NYU essay and got in last week. From my anecdotal experience, you're not going to be rejected because you showed extra interest.

Ahh Congrats!!!

Well obviously it's not going to be the difference between accept/reject but I just think it's not something you should fret too much over.

I think OP said it precisely by saying NYU is ONE of his/her top choices...everyone will list NYU as ONE of their top choices - and NYU is aware of this. If it was your absolute top choice, I'm sure an ED application alone would sufficiently demonstrate that!

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:26 pm

Keilz wrote:I wrote a why NYU but it was pretty specific, it wasn't like "you're a great school" but really indicated concrete reasons why it's my top choice

I would hope that's what your Why NYU essay would say haha :D

Don't know what's even the point of anyone writing a "you're a great school" essay...I personally think it's better to just not write one for T6 if you can't find concrete reasons why you want to go there IMO.

potterotter

Bronze

Postby potterotter » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:31 pm

---
Last edited by potterotter on Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:32 pm

potterotter wrote:
Keilz wrote:I wrote a why NYU but it was pretty specific, it wasn't like "you're a great school" but really indicated concrete reasons why it's my top choice

Don't know what's even the point of anyone writing a "you're a great school" essay...I personally think it's better to just not write one for T6 if you can't find concrete reasons why you want to go there IMO.

+1 I didnt write a Why essay for any T7. In my interviews with CC I was able to elaborate on why specifically I wanted that school and it sounded much better than a Why essay would have. But again, NYU doesn't have interviews, so maybe its a little different.

Very true. I also feel like in the end, your numbers will do (almost) all the talking anyway - unfortunately.

ad34964n

Bronze

Postby ad34964n » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:34 pm

potterotter wrote:

+1 I didnt write a Why essay for any T7. In my interviews with CC I was able to elaborate on why specifically I wanted that school and it sounded much better than a Why essay would have. But again, NYU doesn't have interviews, so maybe its a little different.

Very true. I also feel like in the end, your numbers will do (almost) all the talking anyway - unfortunately.

If the school fires you up, that will come through in an essay and can't hurt. Doesn't matter what rank.

potterotter

Bronze

Postby potterotter » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:37 pm

---

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:40 pm

potterotter wrote:
potterotter wrote:

Can't say I agree with that...Obviously you need numbers that are high enough so that you won't be immediately dismissed, but I think once you're given the chance to interview your numbers mean less. If I get into CC (trust me) it will not be because of my numbers. My scholarship at UVA is definitely not because of my numbers. I don't think numbers matter as much as people say they do. High numbers help, low numbers hurt, but if you're not too low you can work yourself in.

I actually really needed to hear that because I'm slightly below medians at almost all the T6s :( :( Hoping that you're right and that at least one of them sees behind the numbers!

Best of luck to you, and I hope you get into CC to prove me wrong!

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:41 pm

Also, I don't know what the deal is with NYU but they keep sending me emails to my secondary email address rather than my primary. They did this last year as well (I'm a reapplicant). :? :? confused lolol

potterotter

Bronze

Postby potterotter » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:42 pm

---

Silver

Postby AvatarMeelo » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:45 pm

What's the consensus on writing "Why NYU" if you're a super splitter?

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:46 pm

potterotter wrote:
potterotter wrote:
potterotter wrote:

Can't say I agree with that...Obviously you need numbers that are high enough so that you won't be immediately dismissed, but I think once you're given the chance to interview your numbers mean less. If I get into CC (trust me) it will not be because of my numbers. My scholarship at UVA is definitely not because of my numbers. I don't think numbers matter as much as people say they do. High numbers help, low numbers hurt, but if you're not too low you can work yourself in.

I actually really needed to hear that because I'm slightly below medians at almost all the T6s :( :( Hoping that you're right and that at least one of them sees behind the numbers!

Best of luck to you, and I hope you get into CC to prove me wrong!

Im well below median and I remain hopeful. If I do, you'll be the first to know :)

Ahh you're the Rocky Balboa of TLS. The People's Champ!

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:48 pm

---
Last edited by SybillAnnDorsett on Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:57 pm

mm2368 wrote:
clueless801 wrote:What's the consensus on writing "Why NYU" if you're a super splitter?

no clue about consensus but I'd say make sure you explain the GPA (you're a traditional splitter right? if you're reverse, explain the LSAT). as far as a Why NYU, we're all saying that it can't hurt - but whether it helps, we don't know for sure. Go for it if you feel passionately about it and won't write a forced essay about how it's a top school where you'll get a good education. everyone knows that :D

+1

ood

New

Postby ood » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:04 pm

Can I apply to AnnBryce, after I send my application?

pandaaa

New

Postby pandaaa » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:08 am

Admitted! And the Dean wrote me a handwritten note :')

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:43 am

tomgirl wrote:
mm2368 wrote:

Ahh Congrats!!!

Well obviously it's not going to be the difference between accept/reject but I just think it's not something you should fret too much over.

I think OP said it precisely by saying NYU is ONE of his/her top choices...everyone will list NYU as ONE of their top choices - and NYU is aware of this. If it was your absolute top choice, I'm sure an ED application alone would sufficiently demonstrate that!

Idk. I think NYU can be someone's top choice but still not be an ED app. For instance: NYU is my top choice but after looking at stats I saw 1) ED applicants fared either the same or worse regarding acceptance and 2) I know that ED makes scholarship money harder to get. I wrote a Why NYU to express that it's my top choice and to express why it's my top choice (which wasn't like "Oh, you have great numbers and you're located in Manhattan," it had an anecdotal element). I also didn't really touch on why I wanted to be a lawyer in my PS so I thought it would be useful to give some more context. I think this is just one of those personal preference things. But, I know for a fact that it's not something they tell you not to do because I called admissions like months ago and asked :lol:
Last edited by brinicolec on Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?