NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How long would you wait on the waitlist?

Forever until I die
49
35%
Until a few days before classes start somewhere else
27
19%
A few weeks
23
17%
I wouldn't wait on the waitlist because I can't take waiting anymore
30
22%
I didn't even apply
10
7%
 
Total votes: 139

User avatar
Po$eidon

Bronze
Posts: 274
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:03 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Po$eidon » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:50 pm

lawlzschool wrote:
Po$eidon wrote:Just give me a decision.


literally... like if you cant decide isnt that the point of the wl? at this point it just seems like their playing an elaborate game of survivor but the survivors are supposed to eliminate themselves out of frustration


#itworks

Keilz

Gold
Posts: 2319
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:35 am

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Keilz » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:01 pm

what's NYU's deposit deadline? wish it was April 15th...

User avatar
airwrecka

Silver
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby airwrecka » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:02 pm

Keilz wrote:what's NYU's deposit deadline? wish it was April 15th...


May 1, but in order to accept a scholarship it is 4/21...

User avatar
SybillAnnDorsett

Gold
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:59 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:03 pm

airwrecka wrote:
Keilz wrote:what's NYU's deposit deadline? wish it was April 15th...


May 1, but in order to accept a scholarship it is 4/21...


wonder if everyone has the same deadline for scholarship acceptance though.

User avatar
airwrecka

Silver
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby airwrecka » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:04 pm

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
Keilz wrote:what's NYU's deposit deadline? wish it was April 15th...


May 1, but in order to accept a scholarship it is 4/21...


wonder if everyone has the same deadline for scholarship acceptance though.


That's a good question. My scholarship changed and the deadline to accept did not, however.

Keilz

Gold
Posts: 2319
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:35 am

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Keilz » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:05 pm

airwrecka wrote:
SybillAnnDorsett wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
Keilz wrote:what's NYU's deposit deadline? wish it was April 15th...


May 1, but in order to accept a scholarship it is 4/21...


wonder if everyone has the same deadline for scholarship acceptance though.


That's a good question. My scholarship changed and the deadline to accept did not, however.


thanks. of course they have one of the latest ones lol...I would assume your scholarship deadline has not changed.

I'm currently freaking out because I didn't realize most of these schools have deadlines at the end of this week and next week and I haven't visited all of them :(

latetothis

Bronze
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:38 am

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby latetothis » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:03 pm

.
Last edited by latetothis on Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redrobin

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:39 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby redrobin » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:45 pm

Stephylynette wrote:
haley12 wrote:Any date changers wanna share stats?

Below 25th for LSAT and between 25th and 50th for GPA. AA URM


I desperately hope this means there will be one last wave of admits. My date finally changed on 4/8 and now 4/10.
LSAT = median, GPA > 75th

User avatar
dietcoke1

Silver
Posts: 1326
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby dietcoke1 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:48 pm

with absolutely no info, I'm going to guess that NYU does not have a big admit day from this point forward. I think a huge amount of people will get WL'd and after the first seat deposit they will fill remaining spots slowly

User avatar
SybillAnnDorsett

Gold
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:59 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:56 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:with absolutely no info, I'm going to guess that NYU does not have a big admit day from this point forward. I think a huge amount of people will get WL'd and after the first seat deposit they will fill remaining spots slowly


Probably no shot for low LSAT peeps right

User avatar
dietcoke1

Silver
Posts: 1326
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby dietcoke1 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:00 pm

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:with absolutely no info, I'm going to guess that NYU does not have a big admit day from this point forward. I think a huge amount of people will get WL'd and after the first seat deposit they will fill remaining spots slowly


Probably no shot for low LSAT peeps right


I think it would depend on how many people with high GPAs commit during the 1st deadline

User avatar
34iplaw

Gold
Posts: 3379
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 2:55 am

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby 34iplaw » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:06 pm

Anyone sit in on any class and recommend it? Gonna go over tomorrow.

User avatar
SybillAnnDorsett

Gold
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:59 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:15 pm

34iplaw wrote:Anyone sit in on any class and recommend it? Gonna go over tomorrow.


Did weiler's int'l law class when I went; loved it. Wish Amy Adler's was open to visitors. It's my dream to take her art law class.

I just love NYU, bye.

Sisyphus9

New
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:22 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Sisyphus9 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:18 pm

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:
34iplaw wrote:Anyone sit in on any class and recommend it? Gonna go over tomorrow.


Did weiler's int'l law class when I went; loved it. Wish Amy Adler's was open to visitors. It's my dream to take her art law class.

I just love NYU, bye.


She's on sabbatical this semester (also v in love with her)!

User avatar
Instrumental

Silver
Posts: 1393
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:08 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Instrumental » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:28 pm

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:
34iplaw wrote:Anyone sit in on any class and recommend it? Gonna go over tomorrow.


Did weiler's int'l law class when I went; loved it.

Would appreciate it if you shared some details of the class. I'm jelly.

User avatar
SybillAnnDorsett

Gold
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:59 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:41 pm

Instrumental wrote:
SybillAnnDorsett wrote:
34iplaw wrote:Anyone sit in on any class and recommend it? Gonna go over tomorrow.


Did weiler's int'l law class when I went; loved it.

Would appreciate it if you shared some details of the class. I'm jelly.


Definition of "icon". Old-school dude with dark side who scares the living shit out of you yet, you love the man and he is your grandpa before class ends. But really, he is so well-respected/renowned, which I think generates a great deal of intimidation/tension in the classroom. Pro-participation to a limited extent, in other words, not a lot of Socratic Style learning happening in that classroom. He's there to train you, and he's not shy about that.

2017JDtobe

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:27 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby 2017JDtobe » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:47 pm

Question for those of you waiting: would you go at sticker? I got a much lower scholarship offer from NYU than from others, so I'm curious what makes you all want to go here regardless of cost, if yes.

(Apologies if the above is annoying/insensitive, I'm genuinely curious!)

User avatar
SybillAnnDorsett

Gold
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:59 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:56 pm

2017JDtobe wrote:Question for those of you waiting: would you go at sticker? I got a much lower scholarship offer from NYU than from others, so I'm curious what makes you all want to go here regardless of cost, if yes.

(Apologies if the above is annoying/insensitive, I'm genuinely curious!)


I would go at sticker, I'd pay them to accept me. Location is pretty high on my list. I not only want to be in this area for the rest of my adult life, but also have family reasons for wanting to stay. As far as NYU specifically, unmatched public interest resources/placement - as someone with ACLU staff position/fellowship as short term goal after law school, this matters big time. Having worked a lot in the public interest world (and at the ACLU), I know now that elitism is rampant even in this arena. This is where NYU's reputation comes in. And even if people say Columbia is well-established in PI, NYU still has a slight edge for me. and with criminal justice reform as my #1 area of interest I can't imagine loving anywhere more than the place where Bryan Stevenson is lol.

International Law is my second area of interest and as anyone on TLS will tell you it is well-regarded for this also.

But if you can't come up with reasons on your own I certainly won't encourage you to choose it. Especially if the money isn't right. (Hope that doesn't sound mean, as I'm not trying to be.)

User avatar
proteinshake

Gold
Posts: 4644
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby proteinshake » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:15 pm

.
Last edited by proteinshake on Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
34iplaw

Gold
Posts: 3379
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 2:55 am

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby 34iplaw » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:47 pm

It all depends the person. If you are a splitter, you may have nuked your chances for sizable money. In that case, it may make sense.

User avatar
proteinshake

Gold
Posts: 4644
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby proteinshake » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:50 pm

34iplaw wrote:It all depends the person. If you are a splitter, you may have nuked your chances for sizable money. In that case, it may make sense.

+1 and this.

User avatar
jessmeesh

Bronze
Posts: 443
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:14 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby jessmeesh » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:54 pm

34iplaw wrote:It all depends the person. If you are a splitter, you may have nuked your chances for sizable money. In that case, it may make sense.


I'm in a mild splitter I guess. I would do NYU at sticker because of how it compares to my other options. If I had another solid option with money, then I may not be so certain.

2000andBeyond

Silver
Posts: 604
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:52 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby 2000andBeyond » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:44 am

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:
2017JDtobe wrote:Question for those of you waiting: would you go at sticker? I got a much lower scholarship offer from NYU than from others, so I'm curious what makes you all want to go here regardless of cost, if yes.

(Apologies if the above is annoying/insensitive, I'm genuinely curious!)


I would go at sticker, I'd pay them to accept me. Location is pretty high on my list. I not only want to be in this area for the rest of my adult life, but also have family reasons for wanting to stay. As far as NYU specifically, unmatched public interest resources/placement - as someone with ACLU staff position/fellowship as short term goal after law school, this matters big time. Having worked a lot in the public interest world (and at the ACLU), I know now that elitism is rampant even in this arena. This is where NYU's reputation comes in. And even if people say Columbia is well-established in PI, NYU still has a slight edge for me. and with criminal justice reform as my #1 area of interest I can't imagine loving anywhere more than the place where Bryan Stevenson is lol.

International Law is my second area of interest and as anyone on TLS will tell you it is well-regarded for this also.

But if you can't come up with reasons on your own I certainly won't encourage you to choose it. Especially if the money isn't right. (Hope that doesn't sound mean, as I'm not trying to be.)


C'mon NYU...just accept her already!!!! Can't you see how much she loves you??? :x

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Mikey » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:58 am

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:I just love NYU, bye.

same bb, same

User avatar
jjcorvino

Silver
Posts: 1456
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:49 am

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby jjcorvino » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:05 am

April 11th and seems like a ton of people have no decisions yet. I think this is very inconsiderate of NYU. Lower ranked schools usually have 4/1 deadlines and even some of the T14 have deadlines in the middle of the month. What does NYU gain by waiting? I would think that waiting can only hurt their matriculation rates because people they offer admission to may have already made different plans without withdrawing.

I know that I am probably barking up the wrong tree, but law school admissions should be more standardized. There should be a LSAC deadline for rendering a decision and then all deposit deadlines should be a month after that first decision deadline (giving students adequate time to weight their options). Of course this will never happen, because schools use deadlines to push students into depositing without all the information they need (like scholarships) for their own profits.



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 13 guests