NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How long would you wait on the waitlist?

Forever until I die
35%
Until a few days before classes start somewhere else
19%
A few weeks
17%
I wouldn't wait on the waitlist because I can't take waiting anymore
22%
I didn't even apply
7%

Total votes: 139

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:23 pm

Mackgal wrote:is it a bad sign if you haven't gone UR2? I submitted in mid September and my status checker hasn't been updated since mid October

Did you apply for a named scholarship? I submitted in November and I'm still UR1 but my hypothesis is that they're going through people who applied for named scholarships first.

TexasENG

Silver

Postby TexasENG » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:26 pm

Last edited by TexasENG on Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baby Gaga

Bronze

Postby Baby Gaga » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:28 pm

TexasENG wrote:Has anyone who applied for the Anbryce scholars program been accepted yet?

nope. I think they announce their finalists around the end of february

Mackgal

Bronze

Postby Mackgal » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:31 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
Mackgal wrote:is it a bad sign if you haven't gone UR2? I submitted in mid September and my status checker hasn't been updated since mid October

Did you apply for a named scholarship? I submitted in November and I'm still UR1 but my hypothesis is that they're going through people who applied for named scholarships first.

I selected on my application that I was interested in the Ann Bryce one and the Furman scholarship

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:35 pm

Baby Gaga wrote:
TexasENG wrote:Has anyone who applied for the Anbryce scholars program been accepted yet?

I haven't either! Still at UR2 and getting nervous that I won't get an acceptance in time for the finalist consideration.

It's a little comforting knowing other Anbryce applicants are also waiting. Especially 2 people I'm pretty positive have better stats than me.

jessmeesh

Bronze

Postby jessmeesh » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:48 pm

ashrice13 wrote:
Baby Gaga wrote:

I haven't either! Still at UR2 and getting nervous that I won't get an acceptance in time for the finalist consideration.

It's a little comforting knowing other Anbryce applicants are also waiting. Especially 2 people I'm pretty positive have better stats than me.

I'm at UR1 as of 1/5. I'm getting really nervous that AnBryce is not going to be a thing for me either.

dmc1275

New

Postby dmc1275 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:34 pm

So potentially dumb question here, but I applied for the RTK and decided that my personal statement was public interest-focused enough not to write another one. However, I had to write a longer public service essay for another school, and I think it's pretty good, so I am wondering if I should submit it by email now to NYU since I'm already admitted. Anyone have thoughts? I'm not sure how far RTK would be in the process of reviewing applicants, but I know some schools have been really positive about submitting additional materials and some are more annoyed by it.

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:43 pm

dmc1275 wrote:So potentially dumb question here, but I applied for the RTK and decided that my personal statement was public interest-focused enough not to write another one. However, I had to write a longer public service essay for another school, and I think it's pretty good, so I am wondering if I should submit it by email now to NYU since I'm already admitted. Anyone have thoughts? I'm not sure how far RTK would be in the process of reviewing applicants, but I know some schools have been really positive about submitting additional materials and some are more annoyed by it.

Well, I know that they have NOT started reviewing RTK apps yet, but they will be starting very soon, so if you're going to send in another essay, do it now!

Since the process of evaluating RTK apps is different than the normal app process, it's hard to know how they will feel about additional materials because it could be different than the general admissions dept. However, based on everything I've heard about the program, they will be very accommodating if you send in new info. I would be shocked if they looked down on you for it. So my advice--send it!

kkdk

Bronze

Postby kkdk » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:38 pm

minkbrigade wrote:Good to know--I will try to tamp down my expectations a bit. :) Also, does GPA/LSAT or academic history play a role at all in determining who gets an interview? Thank you, again, for answering all of our questions--I really appreciate it!!

It does, but a very small role. Great grades/rigorous curriculum can play a greater role when 1) you're K-JD and your classes matter more, as compared to someone 2-5 years out whose narrative has changed since then; and 2) as a compensating factor.

Because you will have been admitted when you reach our eyes, it's our view that the exceedingly capable Admissions Office makes the determination whether you're ready for law school (for the cynical amongst you: whether it wishes to remain a T6 on the USNWR rankings) based on your grades. Our job isn't to second guess that. If you say you want to be a crim justice advocate and you barely passed all of your undergrad classes that had anything to do with that topic, that might raise an eyebrow or two. Especially if you're K-JD and that's one of our strongest indicators of your interest in that field. But let's say you didn't have a great GPA but you had 2 solid years interning with Fed Defenders, or a diversion/reintegration NGO. Your grades will be an afterthought to us in that situation. I was a splitter (<25 GPA, >75 LSAT) and got the Root. I know of 2-3 other splitters that are Roots. We all had post-grad experience (I had 2 years, the longest was 7).

The LSAT VERY VERY rarely has any impact, and grades rarely have an impact. That being said, it just so happens that many Roots did well academically, but I think that is more a function of passion/interest than being picked for grades. HTH

kkdk

Bronze

Postby kkdk » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:43 pm

airwrecka wrote:
dmc1275 wrote:So potentially dumb question here, but I applied for the RTK and decided that my personal statement was public interest-focused enough not to write another one. However, I had to write a longer public service essay for another school, and I think it's pretty good, so I am wondering if I should submit it by email now to NYU since I'm already admitted. Anyone have thoughts? I'm not sure how far RTK would be in the process of reviewing applicants, but I know some schools have been really positive about submitting additional materials and some are more annoyed by it.

Well, I know that they have NOT started reviewing RTK apps yet, but they will be starting very soon, so if you're going to send in another essay, do it now!

Since the process of evaluating RTK apps is different than the normal app process, it's hard to know how they will feel about additional materials because it could be different than the general admissions dept. However, based on everything I've heard about the program, they will be very accommodating if you send in new info. I would be shocked if they looked down on you for it. So my advice--send it!

dmc, SEND IT. We will read it. 100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in.

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Postby 20171lhopeful » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:49 pm

zeglo wrote:Email from NYU about ASD:

In order to help defray some of the expense of attending an Admitted Students Days Program, we do provide subsidies for admitted students with financial need. You may request a need-based travel subsidy to attend one of the three scheduled Admitted Students Day programs (March 2-3, March 30-31, or April 20-21).

In order to complete your request please let us know whether you will be traveling to and receiving a travel subsidy from any other school. Next, you will need to complete institutional financial aid application, if you have not already done so.

Most students requesting a travel subsidy will be notified of a decision shortly after we receive the requisite materials. Students selected to receive a subsidy will receive further instructions on documenting their travel expenses and requesting reimbursement. Please note that if qualified, the travel subsidy only extends to the student, and not guests.
As for overnight accommodations, we have a few current student hosts that have are willing to assist with organizing housing for ASD weekends. Let me know if you are interested in staying with a student host as space is limited. If so, we will reach out to the hosts and ask that one contact you in the coming weeks to confirm arrangements.
Feel free to contact us again should you have additional questions or concerns.

Which department is this from? I got an email from a student group saying they provide travel subsidy? This process is such a pain. I haven't filled out my financial aid forms and I want to purchase tickets for the March one before the flight price increases.

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:51 pm

kkdk: any chance if I send in an essay now, I could ask to be reviewed as an RTK candidate even though I haven't been admitted yet? I know the deadline was technically Jan 1st, but the rest of my application including the letter of rec I would want used with my RTK information has been in since November.

zeglo

Silver

Postby zeglo » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:18 pm

Last edited by zeglo on Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monday

Silver

Postby Monday » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:53 pm

Last edited by Monday on Wed May 10, 2017 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

asuddenarborealstop

New

Postby asuddenarborealstop » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:12 pm

Monday wrote:Anyone attending the LA Annual Alumni (plus Accepted Students) Reception with Dean Morrison? It's on a Tuesday...

Planning on attending

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Postby 20171lhopeful » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:23 pm

zeglo wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:

In order to help defray some of the expense of attending an Admitted Students Days Program, we do provide subsidies for admitted students with financial need. You may request a need-based travel subsidy to attend one of the three scheduled Admitted Students Day programs (March 2-3, March 30-31, or April 20-21).

In order to complete your request please let us know whether you will be traveling to and receiving a travel subsidy from any other school. Next, you will need to complete institutional financial aid application, if you have not already done so.

Most students requesting a travel subsidy will be notified of a decision shortly after we receive the requisite materials. Students selected to receive a subsidy will receive further instructions on documenting their travel expenses and requesting reimbursement. Please note that if qualified, the travel subsidy only extends to the student, and not guests.
As for overnight accommodations, we have a few current student hosts that have are willing to assist with organizing housing for ASD weekends. Let me know if you are interested in staying with a student host as space is limited. If so, we will reach out to the hosts and ask that one contact you in the coming weeks to confirm arrangements.

Which department is this from? I got an email from a student group saying they provide travel subsidy? This process is such a pain. I haven't filled out my financial aid forms and I want to purchase tickets for the March one before the flight price increases.

NYULaw-Admits@nyu.edu. I emailed them previously, and they kindly responded to the same thread.

Are you visiting Columbia by chance? I'm coming from abroad and If both schools give me the average stipend amount of $300 then it will basically the cover the cost of my flight ticket. But I'm worried if they hear I'm attending Columbia they won't give me as much.

zeglo

Silver

Postby zeglo » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:25 pm

Last edited by zeglo on Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:31 pm

20171lhopeful wrote:
zeglo wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:

NYULaw-Admits@nyu.edu. I emailed them previously, and they kindly responded to the same thread.

Are you visiting Columbia by chance? I'm coming from abroad and If both schools give me the average stipend amount of $300 then it will basically the cover the cost of my flight ticket. But I'm worried if they hear I'm attending Columbia they won't give me as much.

Just as an FYI, when filling out the Columbia request it asks if you are visiting other schools and says that if you are, they expect the other school to split the cost with them.

speedofthought

New

Postby speedofthought » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:36 pm

ashrice13 wrote:
Baby Gaga wrote:

I have the same question, but for the Mitchell Jacobson Leadership program. Any admits while I'm still waiting at UR2?

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Postby 20171lhopeful » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:42 pm

jjcorvino wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:
zeglo wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:

Just as an FYI, when filling out the Columbia request it asks if you are visiting other schools and says that if you are, they expect the other school to split the cost with them.

So if my total cost is 600, would that mean 300 each. Or would that mean half of the 300 they usually provide to students?

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Postby 20171lhopeful » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:43 pm

zeglo wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:
zeglo wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:

Well, they haven't even interviewed me yet, so probably not! :lol: And how would they know your whereabouts?

I'm scared to lie. And since I'm interviewing for a scholarship I don't want anything to diminish my chances. :(

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:01 am

20171lhopeful wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:
zeglo wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:

So if my total cost is 600, would that mean 300 each. Or would that mean half of the 300 they usually provide to students?

My understanding is that Columbia will not provide any additional money over $300. So if NYU gives you 300, they would give you nothing.

rated_char

New

Postby rated_char » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:03 am

Last edited by rated_char on Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

dmc1275

New

Postby dmc1275 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:10 am

kkdk wrote:
airwrecka wrote:

dmc, SEND IT. We will read it. 100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in.

Awesome, will send it today! Thank you!

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:18 am

Not sure why I check the status checker every day when I know it will only change on Tuesday (or...apparently, Monday night).

Le Sigh.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?