NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How long would you wait on the waitlist?

Forever until I die
36%
Until a few days before classes start somewhere else
19%
A few weeks
17%
I wouldn't wait on the waitlist because I can't take waiting anymore
22%
I didn't even apply
7%

Total votes: 138

brinicolec

Gold

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby brinicolec » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:46 pm

appind wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
appind wrote:
Pozzo wrote:
Rigo wrote:Late app in.

Welcome to the dark side.

how late is it to apply to T6 if one is a borderline chances to begin with?

don't want to wait till next cycle but don't want to waste an app either.

According to MS9, it's a pretty good year to apply late. I don't think we ever confirmed it was a counter cycle but even if it's not beneficial to apply late, I have to imagine that given the signs of a counter cycle are there, the relative consequences to applying late are at least diminished.

That being said, I'd definitely apply soon...but I'm under the impression that applying now isn't too late at all.

i don't know how seriously to believe that applying now wouldn't dent chances drastically. i saw that post by MS9 but it looks like it was motivated by a suggestion from a 0L and i don't really know what counter cycle means, like what it is.

how does this actually work that applying late one can get in when they may not have gotten in applying early? it seems counter intuitive to me.

Yeah, I'm not sure what counter-cycle means either. It's confusing lol.

Edit: but I asked about it in the MS9 thread and this was the response (not from MS9 himself, but from someone who works with him. Danielle I think).

My actual question: (was quoting another's) "I'm curious about this as well. Since the decisions are coming slower this cycle, that means they're holding on to apps longer, so how does that factor into the counter-cycle, "later might actually be better" climate?"

The response: "My assumption is that we will see a lot of schools that are slower until their application deadlines pass so that they have a better sense of their whole pool."

Based on that response, I didn't get a later might be better vibe. I got a "Everyone should expect to wait longer" vibe and maybe the idea is that applying later won't necessarily hurt you as much as it normally would because they're holding on to applications to get a better idea of their applicant pool lol. But, based on that response, I don't see anything that points to later submissions having better odds.

appind

Gold

Postby appind » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:46 pm

brinicolec wrote:
appind wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
appind wrote:
Pozzo wrote:

According to MS9, it's a pretty good year to apply late. I don't think we ever confirmed it was a counter cycle but even if it's not beneficial to apply late, I have to imagine that given the signs of a counter cycle are there, the relative consequences to applying late are at least diminished.

That being said, I'd definitely apply soon...but I'm under the impression that applying now isn't too late at all.

i don't know how seriously to believe that applying now wouldn't dent chances drastically. i saw that post by MS9 but it looks like it was motivated by a suggestion from a 0L and i don't really know what counter cycle means, like what it is.

how does this actually work that applying late one can get in when they may not have gotten in applying early? it seems counter intuitive to me.

Edit: but I asked about it in the MS9 thread and this was the response (not from MS9 himself, but from someone who works with him. Danielle I think).

My actual question: (was quoting another's) "I'm curious about this as well. Since the decisions are coming slower this cycle, that means they're holding on to apps longer, so how does that factor into the counter-cycle, "later might actually be better" climate?"

The response: "My assumption is that we will see a lot of schools that are slower until their application deadlines pass so that they have a better sense of their whole pool."

Based on that response, I didn't get a later might be better vibe. I got a "Everyone should expect to wait longer" vibe and maybe the idea is that applying later won't necessarily hurt you as much as it normally would because they're holding on to applications to get a better idea of their applicant pool lol. But, based on that response, I don't see anything that points to later submissions having better odds.

i think it's possible that it may not hurt as much to apply this late, but i think it'd hurt one's chances compared to applying early anyway.
i saw the post by MS9 about "better sense of their whole pool" but is there any clear evidence that top schools are much slower this time around?

i was wondering if there's a way to know the %age of admits that go to people who apply after Jan 20 vs who apply earlier (after normalizing for their difference in # of applications between these groups). i mean, is their a way to know selectivity rate after a certain date vs before?

LSN usually has useful data, but not sure if it records the date of the application.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:17 pm

appind wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
appind wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
appind wrote:
Pozzo wrote:

i think it's possible that it may not hurt as much to apply this late, but i think it'd hurt one's chances compared to applying early anyway.
i saw the post by MS9 about "better sense of their whole pool" but is there any clear evidence that top schools are much slower this time around?

i was wondering if there's a way to know the %age of admits that go to people who apply after Jan 20 vs who apply earlier (after normalizing for their difference in # of applications between these groups). i mean, is their a way to know selectivity rate after a certain date vs before?

LSN usually has useful data, but not sure if it records the date of the application.

I think LSN has the information you might be looking for but you'd have to record/calculate it yourself by looking at data from the cycles (unfortunately, I don't think there's a way to download a spreadsheet of it or something). It's possible that you can look to see when first major waves went out, and when they seemed to start admitting folks from the less appealing part of the applicant pool (such as people like me with low GPAs). I know CLS seems to be right on schedule.

blossomisaloaf

New

Postby blossomisaloaf » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:30 am

Hey y'all! Long time lurker first time poster. Figured it might be time to share some info.

I've been looking for some posts from Latinx Rights Scholarship applicants from the last few years but I still haven't seen anything. So hello to all future/current LRS applicants who might come across this post!

LSAT: >25%
GPA: 50%

URM
Very strong softs especially relevant to this scholarship

Submitted: 1/1
UR1: 1/4
UR2: 1/20

Not too certain how things will turn out. My stats are pretty weak compared to a lot of y'all but I'm still hopeful!

Instrumental

Silver

Postby Instrumental » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:39 am

blossomisaloaf wrote:Hey y'all! Long time lurker first time poster. Figured it might be time to share some info.

I've been looking for some posts from Latinx Rights Scholarship applicants from the last few years but I still haven't seen anything. So hello to all future/current LRS applicants who might come across this post!

URM

Not too certain how things will turn out. My stats are pretty weak compared to a lot of y'all but I'm still hopeful!

Best of luck and welcome! =)

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:51 am

Does anyone have info on the Law & Business Leadership scholly?

I'm confused. Is it for people who want to end up partners in BL or people that just want a law bgd???? lol

jonofalltrades

New

Postby jonofalltrades » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:37 pm

blossomisaloaf wrote:Hey y'all! Long time lurker first time poster. Figured it might be time to share some info.

URM

I applied to LRS! Not feeling good about being admitted, and even if I do get admitted, not feeling great about the scholly. The (informal, unrepresentative) survey on TLS showing just a handful of apps to LRS is giving me some hope, though

jonofalltrades

New

Postby jonofalltrades » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:40 pm

appind wrote:

Is this what you're looking for? http://mylsn.info/r/pre-law/timeline/chart/

appind

Gold

Postby appind » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:01 pm

jonofalltrades wrote:
appind wrote:

this is very useful, it seems to show the month of the app sent and result stats for that.

chances already look bad for apps sent in January, not to mention ones after Jan 20th. assume there is no way to get to that granularity?

also, it seems like the pool of applicants who apply earlier may already have strong numbers than those who apply late in late Jan. so one can't go strictly by the % of acceptance for each month. it needs to be corrected for pool strength. any way to access that using these website?

hellohalo

Silver

Postby hellohalo » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:59 pm

appind wrote:
jonofalltrades wrote:
appind wrote:

this is very useful, it seems to show the month of the app sent and result stats for that.

chances already look bad for apps sent in January, not to mention ones after Jan 20th. assume there is no way to get to that granularity?

also, it seems like the pool of applicants who apply earlier may already have strong numbers than those who apply late in late Jan. so one can't go strictly by the % of acceptance for each month. it needs to be corrected for pool strength. any way to access that using these website?

http://mylsn.info/r/pre-law/admissions/search/

You can adjust the strength of the app by setting the numbers. And compare the timeline difference by picking "submitted between".

and-peggy

New

Postby and-peggy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:45 pm

Hi, everyone! Was there ever any consensus about whether it's a bad idea to apply for merit-based aid only? Considering I'll have to be reporting two doctors' info (dad and step-mom) along with my mother's, I'm fairly certain I wouldn't be eligible for any need-based aid. I'd rather not have to gather and send all of that in if it's not going to do me any good.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:06 pm

and-peggy wrote:Hi, everyone! Was there ever any consensus about whether it's a bad idea to apply for merit-based aid only? Considering I'll have to be reporting two doctors' info (dad and step-mom) along with my mother's, I'm fairly certain I wouldn't be eligible for any need-based aid. I'd rather not have to gather and send all of that in if it's not going to do me any good.

Don't you still need to do the FAFSA if youre taking out gov't loans at all? Or are you not taking out loans period?

and-peggy

New

Postby and-peggy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:34 pm

Rigo wrote:
and-peggy wrote:Hi, everyone! Was there ever any consensus about whether it's a bad idea to apply for merit-based aid only? Considering I'll have to be reporting two doctors' info (dad and step-mom) along with my mother's, I'm fairly certain I wouldn't be eligible for any need-based aid. I'd rather not have to gather and send all of that in if it's not going to do me any good.

Don't you still need to do the FAFSA if youre taking out gov't loans at all? Or are you not taking out loans period?

I'll be doing the FAFSA for federal loans, but everything I've seen has said you don't need parent info for that (for government purposes, at least). You just need it for whatever internal application the individual law schools are using, like the CSS form. That could be wrong, but that's what the financial aid people at the forums have been saying.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:36 pm

and-peggy wrote:
Rigo wrote:

I'll be doing the FAFSA for federal loans, but everything I've seen has said you don't need parent info for that (for government purposes, at least). You just need it for whatever internal application the individual law schools are using, like the CSS form. That could be wrong, but that's what the financial aid people at the forums have been saying.

Oh no you're probably right I just haven't done any of it yet and don't know what to do, so thank you for clarifying.

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:25 am

and-peggy wrote:
Rigo wrote:

When I completed my FAFSA the first step was they asked me a few questions to determine if I needed to include parental info. Things like age, marital status, if I have dependent, etc. I thought you had to include parental info in some cases (22. Single, lives at home, etc). I could be wrong though.

But no...if you know for sure they won't give you need based then it probably doesn't hurt to apply for merit based only. However, personally, i'd go through the annoyance and gather all info an apply for need based too. You just never know...and I would want every option I could have in front of me.

zeglo

Silver

Postby zeglo » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:30 am

Last edited by zeglo on Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:07 am

zeglo wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
and-peggy wrote:
Rigo wrote:

When I completed my FAFSA the first step was they asked me a few questions to determine if I needed to include parental info. Things like age, marital status, if I have dependent, etc. I thought you had to include parental info in some cases (22. Single, lives at home, etc). I could be wrong though.

But no...if you know for sure they won't give you need based then it probably doesn't hurt to apply for merit based only. However, personally, i'd go through the annoyance and gather all info an apply for need based too. You just never know...and I would want every option I could have in front of me.

Just apply for both regardless.

I think for certain people it is possible that it might hurt them to apply for both. If they see someone that has a lot of money (or parents), they might be able to give them less and still have them attend. It might factor into the merit consideration.

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:26 am

jjcorvino wrote:
zeglo wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
and-peggy wrote:
Rigo wrote:

Just apply for both regardless.

I think for certain people it is possible that it might hurt them to apply for both. If they see someone that has a lot of money (or parents), they might be able to give them less and still have them attend. It might factor into the merit consideration.

This is what I am afraid of!! I am in the same boat as and-peggy, essentially (very certain I will not qualify for need-based aid). I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do, but the school I am most worried about the answer to this question is Columbia, which theoretically/apparently doesn't offer any merit-based aid other than Butlers and Hamiltons (half and full scholarships given with acceptance). I've already been accepted but didn't receive one of those awards, so I don't want to give up on the hope of a scholarship, so I'm not sure if I should bite the bullet and just apply for the need-based aid anyway....I'm also waiting for a (hopefully) significantly better LSAT score to come in, and I want to use that to help me out.

patttt

Silver

Postby patttt » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:03 pm

Anybody else been UR1 since early december?

armc808

Bronze

Postby armc808 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:10 pm

patttt wrote:Anybody else been UR1 since early december?

UR1 since 12/12 :|

TudoBem

Bronze

Postby TudoBem » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:18 pm

+1

sigree

Bronze

Postby sigree » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:20 pm

TudoBem wrote:

+1

Since 12/28 - I feel forgotten.

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:22 pm

sigree wrote:
TudoBem wrote:

+1

Since 12/28 - I feel forgotten.

UR2 10/31

TudoBem

Bronze

Postby TudoBem » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:23 pm

I read NYU last year's thread and I saw people UR2 for 5 months...Since Oct and only got decision end of March...the wait is real!

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:25 pm

TudoBem wrote:I read NYU last year's thread and I saw people UR2 for 5 months...Since Oct and only got decision end of March...the wait is real!

Okay um... Did any of those people get an acceptance? That's the thing that I really care about. If people can sit UR for 5 months and still be accepted, my faith will be restored in not having to worry TOO much lol

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?