NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How long would you wait on the waitlist?

Forever until I die
35%
Until a few days before classes start somewhere else
21%
A few weeks
16%
I wouldn't wait on the waitlist because I can't take waiting anymore
21%
I didn't even apply
7%

Total votes: 141

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:15 pm

airwrecka wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
mm2368 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
mm2368 wrote:Interesting that they're encouraging those who did not already apply for scholarships to apply. Maybe that means that they haven't seen sufficient interest as of yet - and sending those emails now makes sense what with the scholarship review period for RTK and AnBryce fast approaching.

Must be a good sign for those of you admitted; perhaps competition is not as fierce this year for the big money

Wait, where'd you see that?!
I'll try to edit my original post, as I meant "encouraging those accepted* who did not already apply for scholarships to apply. But according to the poster above this happened last year. I don't know what to make of it.

Sucks as an applicant in waiting who did originally apply for several named schollys and the general root.

I didn't think I'd have the numbers/experience to get any schollys, wondering if I should've tried applying anyway though.
from what I've heard from current Roots, numbers have very little to do with who gets the RTKS. it's a lot more about commitment to PI/your field of interest and demonstrated prior involvement and ability to self yourself to the committee. if you think your interests are aligned with any named schollys, I'd email admissions now and see if you can submit the additional materials (usually an essay and LOR I think) now! no harm in trying :)
you don't make it to the table for discussion without the numbers, though.
without admission, the review board never gets to learn about your PI commitment or prior involvement.

that said, agreed that if you didn't already apply, totally take advantage of NYU's offer to submit before the 30th! and I know from personally calling after having applied that they do allow you to submit additional materials so long as a decision has not yet been rendered on your file.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:33 pm

mm2368 wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
mm2368 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
mm2368 wrote:Interesting that they're encouraging those who did not already apply for scholarships to apply. Maybe that means that they haven't seen sufficient interest as of yet - and sending those emails now makes sense what with the scholarship review period for RTK and AnBryce fast approaching.

Must be a good sign for those of you admitted; perhaps competition is not as fierce this year for the big money

Wait, where'd you see that?!
I'll try to edit my original post, as I meant "encouraging those accepted* who did not already apply for scholarships to apply. But according to the poster above this happened last year. I don't know what to make of it.

Sucks as an applicant in waiting who did originally apply for several named schollys and the general root.

I didn't think I'd have the numbers/experience to get any schollys, wondering if I should've tried applying anyway though.
from what I've heard from current Roots, numbers have very little to do with who gets the RTKS. it's a lot more about commitment to PI/your field of interest and demonstrated prior involvement and ability to self yourself to the committee. if you think your interests are aligned with any named schollys, I'd email admissions now and see if you can submit the additional materials (usually an essay and LOR I think) now! no harm in trying :)
you don't make it to the table for discussion without the numbers, though.
without admission, the review board never gets to learn about your PI commitment or prior involvement.

that said, agreed that if you didn't already apply, totally take advantage of NYU's offer to submit before the 30th! and I know from personally calling after having applied that they do allow you to submit additional materials so long as a decision has not yet been rendered on your file.

I think if anything I'd be interested in the Law & Business one, which seems to be a little less experience-focused. Maybe I'll work on the supplemental material tonight and see how I feel about it lol. In UG, I didn't really do anything that I thought would help me in law school because I wasn't sure I wanted to go. I was doing PR-related stuff :lol:

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:35 pm

just got the email from NYU about applying for scholarships! nothing too exciting, other than this means we're finally getting closer to receiving the schollys :D

QUESTION: I know without a doubt that my parents' income/assets excludes me from any need-based aid if I have to disclose their info. At NYU (and most other schools), if I want to apply for need-based $$$, I have to disclose their financial info. Which makes me think I should only apply for merit aid everywhere. Is there a downside to this?? is there any chance schools will see my parents financial info (if I were to apply for need-based) but also realize that I'm independent from them (and married) so I can't/won't count on their contributions?

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:51 pm

airwrecka wrote:just got the email from NYU about applying for scholarships! nothing too exciting, other than this means we're finally getting closer to receiving the schollys :D

QUESTION: I know without a doubt that my parents' income/assets excludes me from any need-based aid if I have to disclose their info. At NYU (and most other schools), if I want to apply for need-based $$$, I have to disclose their financial info. Which makes me think I should only apply for merit aid everywhere. Is there a downside to this?? is there any chance schools will see my parents financial info (if I were to apply for need-based) but also realize that I'm independent from them (and married) so I can't/won't count on their contributions?
I'm in a similar boat. At schools that offer the option, I applied for merit aid only, but some (NYU, Columbia) require parental info before ANY sort of aid is given out. So you/I will have to disclose parental info which is a pain. I believe (haven't filled it out yet) on the CSS profile there's a section for expected parental contribution, though, and they'll see that you're married from your FAFSA/other forms.

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:57 pm

Leliana wrote:
airwrecka wrote:just got the email from NYU about applying for scholarships! nothing too exciting, other than this means we're finally getting closer to receiving the schollys :D

I'm in a similar boat. At schools that offer the option, I applied for merit aid only, but some (NYU, Columbia) require parental info before ANY sort of aid is given out. So you/I will have to disclose parental info which is a pain. I believe (haven't filled it out yet) on the CSS profile there's a section for expected parental contribution, though, and they'll see that you're married from your FAFSA/other forms.
NYU does give the option of merit-only and then you don't need to give your parents' info out....

Well, it's possible my parents will refuse to give me their info anyway and then I won't have any option except to do merit-only. (My parents are SUPER secretive with me & my brother about their financials and almost get angry when we ask about stuff)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:02 pm

Are you Meadow Soprano?

ad34964n

Bronze

Post by ad34964n » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:04 pm

Rigo wrote:Are you Meadow Soprano?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:04 pm

airwrecka wrote:NYU does give the option of merit-only and then you don't need to give your parents' info out....

Well, it's possible my parents will refuse to give me their info anyway and then I won't have any option except to do merit-only. (My parents are SUPER secretive with me & my brother about their financials and almost get angry when we ask about stuff)
Oh hm I guess it's not totally clear either way. Their website says that all students who want to be considered for schollys have to complete their financial aid application (and says that if you're older than 29, parental information is not required, which I read as implying it's required otherwise) but AFAIK their application has not been released yet so I don't know what it entails. Hopefully there will be the option to select merit-based only.

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:09 pm

Leliana wrote:
airwrecka wrote:NYU does give the option of merit-only and then you don't need to give your parents' info out....

Oh hm I guess it's not totally clear either way. Their website says that all students who want to be considered for schollys have to complete their financial aid application (and says that if you're older than 29, parental information is not required, which I read as implying it's required otherwise) but AFAIK their application has not been released yet so I don't know what it entails. Hopefully there will be the option to select merit-based only.
ah, gotcha. well, I just got the email with the financial aid application an hour ago, and there is definitely a merit-only option :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:11 pm

airwrecka wrote:ah, gotcha. well, I just got the email with the financial aid application an hour ago, and there is definitely a merit-only option :)
Oh good! Disregard me then as you're a step ahead of me :P

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:25 pm

one day, this thread report some news of people with median LSAT scores getting accepted.

Has anyone else noticed this? no one with a 169 has been admitted.

Dreadhead168

New

Post by Dreadhead168 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:28 pm

Last edited by Dreadhead168 on Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:36 pm

Dreadhead168 wrote:
Keilz wrote:one day, this thread report some news of people with median LSAT scores getting accepted.

I was admitted with a 169.
do you have a high GPA or are a URM? I don't think they've accepted anyone with a 169 without having at least one of those.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:39 pm

Dreadhead168 wrote:
Keilz wrote:one day, this thread report some news of people with median LSAT scores getting accepted.

I was admitted with a 169.
I knew someone was going come back with this. The vast majority of ppl I've seen have not, and none on lsn.

hammy393

Bronze

Post by hammy393 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:41 pm

just got the NYU financial aid insturctions email. This is a bit unrelated, but for the CSS profile, do you have only one opportunity to list every school you'd like it sent to? That's what someone told me but not sure how accurate that is

NotAGolfer

Silver

Post by NotAGolfer » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:44 pm

hammy393 wrote:just got the NYU financial aid insturctions email. This is a bit unrelated, but for the CSS profile, do you have only one opportunity to list every school you'd like it sent to? That's what someone told me but not sure how accurate that is
No, I've added schools after submitting it.

VA2lawschool

Bronze

Post by VA2lawschool » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:46 pm

hammy393 wrote:just got the NYU financial aid insturctions email. This is a bit unrelated, but for the CSS profile, do you have only one opportunity to list every school you'd like it sent to? That's what someone told me but not sure how accurate that is
Definitely not. I completed it for Duke, but have since then sent to several other schools.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hammy393

Bronze

Post by hammy393 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:52 pm

VA2lawschool wrote:
Definitely not. I completed it for Duke, but have since then sent to several other schools.
Thanks guys! Figured. Still waiting on my W2s for FAFSA...

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:54 pm

hammy393 wrote:
VA2lawschool wrote:
It's my understanding that you can use your 2015 tax returns for FAFSA and don't need info from 2016.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:34 pm

airwrecka wrote:
hammy393 wrote:
VA2lawschool wrote:
It's my understanding that you can use your 2015 tax returns for FAFSA and don't need info from 2016.
Really? I was also waiting for my W2 to get started. I really just need things to keep me busy at this point.

I was trying to plan on what schools to visit and in what order, but it's pretty hard to do without knowing where I'm actually getting accepted.

I just need decisions to hurry up and be released so I can move on to the difficult task of DECIDING (although NYU is my first pick, I can't imagine going with NO money.. but am not sure I'd get any money either).

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:39 pm

brinicolec wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
hammy393 wrote:
VA2lawschool wrote:
Really? I was also waiting for my W2 to get started. I really just need things to keep me busy at this point.

I was trying to plan on what schools to visit and in what order, but it's pretty hard to do without knowing where I'm actually getting accepted.

I just need decisions to hurry up and be released so I can move on to the difficult task of DECIDING (although NYU is my first pick, I can't imagine going with NO money.. but am not sure I'd get any money either).
just submitted my FAFSA earlier this week...they only want 2015 info. You can do it now!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jonofalltrades

New

Post by jonofalltrades » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:18 pm

Leliana wrote:

Can I get a shout out from my fellow 29+ers?! :D

'Course, we have to get IN first for it to matter...

Baby Gaga

Bronze

Post by Baby Gaga » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:47 pm

jonofalltrades wrote:
Leliana wrote:

Can I get a shout out from my fellow 29+ers?! :D

'Course, we have to get IN first for it to matter...
HOLLA!! This will make this scholarship application 95% less stressful

gypsyroselily

New

Post by gypsyroselily » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:56 pm

My poor application must be so cold and lonely. No one has looked at it since Halloween. It's just sitting there gathering dust.

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:44 pm

ashrice13 wrote:
appind wrote:
Pozzo wrote:
Rigo wrote:Late app in.
Welcome to the dark side.
how late is it to apply to T6 if one is a borderline chances to begin with?

don't want to wait till next cycle but don't want to waste an app either.
According to spivey, it's a pretty good year to apply late. I don't think we ever confirmed it was a counter cycle but even if it's not beneficial to apply late, I have to imagine that given the signs of a counter cycle are there, the relative consequences to applying late are at least diminished.

That being said, I'd definitely apply soon...but I'm under the impression that applying now isn't too late at all.
i don't know how seriously to believe that applying now wouldn't dent chances drastically. i saw that post by spivey but it looks like it was motivated by a suggestion from a 0L and i don't really know what counter cycle means, like what it is.

how does this actually work that applying late one can get in when they may not have gotten in applying early? it seems counter intuitive to me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”