NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How long would you wait on the waitlist?

Forever until I die
36%
Until a few days before classes start somewhere else
19%
A few weeks
17%
I wouldn't wait on the waitlist because I can't take waiting anymore
22%
I didn't even apply
7%

Total votes: 138

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:13 pm

brinicolec wrote:
sittykitty wrote:
fall17law wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
Kaylasvi wrote:Anyone seen an average wait time between ur2 and decision?

no

^ not. at. all. :cry: lol

I think they're putting out decisions based on where people fall on their stats, tbh.

Then explain my >both 75ths and no news since UR1 10/11

Yield protection

^ not that hard to explain :lol:

I think the idea that the 5th ranked school YPs is kind of silly, and I think talk of YP in general is completely overblown. Yeah, maybe at UVA and sounds like Cornell this year. But what does NYU really have to gain from waitlisting those people, who would be candidates for scholarship money that would draw them away from the others.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:36 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
sittykitty wrote:
fall17law wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
Kaylasvi wrote:Anyone seen an average wait time between ur2 and decision?

no

^ not. at. all. :cry: lol

I think they're putting out decisions based on where people fall on their stats, tbh.

Yield protection

I think the idea that the 5th ranked school YPs is kind of silly, and I think talk of YP in general is completely overblown. Yeah, maybe at UVA and sounds like Cornell this year. But what does NYU really have to gain from waitlisting those people, who would be candidates for scholarship money that would draw them away from the others.

Not offering them money so they have money that they can offer to people who are good candidates, but not so good that they suspect they'd go elsewhere.

Also, Cornell didn't YP. They just slaughtered the applicant pool.

And I thought NYU is 6th, not 5th..,.

sittykitty

Bronze

Postby sittykitty » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:57 pm

brinicolec wrote:
Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
sittykitty wrote:
fall17law wrote:

Yield protection

Not offering them money so they have money that they can offer to people who are good candidates, but not so good that they suspect they'd go elsewhere.

NYU's yield rate (23%) is low compared to the handful of schools that rank above it -- Columbia at 31%, Stanford at 44%, Harvard at 62%, Yale at 78%. Anyhow, I wasn't trying to say that yield protection is THE explanation, but it's a fairly easy one to settle on.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:09 pm

sittykitty wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
sittykitty wrote:
fall17law wrote:

Yield protection

NYU's yield rate (23%) is low compared to the handful of schools that rank above it -- Columbia at 31%, Stanford at 44%, Harvard at 62%, Yale at 78%. Anyhow, I wasn't trying to say that yield protection is THE explanation, but it's a fairly easy one to settle on.

Agreed. There could be other reasons. But YP is an easy one. Another option would be they might not know if they think the applicant would be a good fit or something I guess.

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:01 pm

https://www.law.umich.edu/connection/a2 ... aspx?ID=11

Basically, the notion that they would not accept an applicant with high numbers who seems like an otherwise great fit because they fear they might go elsewhere just sounds dumb. I think YP is thrown around a lot on TLS to make people feel better about not getting into a place they thought they would get into when there are a whole host of other reasons - not being a good fit/the particular admissions person who read your file not being super excited about you being chief among them - that can lead to that outcome.

sittykitty

Bronze

Postby sittykitty » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:28 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:https://www.law.umich.edu/connection/a2z/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=11

Basically, the notion that they would not accept an applicant with high numbers who seems like an otherwise great fit because they fear they might go elsewhere just sounds dumb. I think YP is thrown around a lot on TLS to make people feel better about not getting into a place they thought they would get into when there are a whole host of other reasons - not being a good fit/the particular admissions person who read your file not being super excited about you being chief among them - that can lead to that outcome.

I mean, ignoring the part where Mich and NYU are completely different schools, I don't know why you would encourage someone to believe that there are flaws in their application that would cause a ding rather than letting them believe that they are an excellent candidate who may be overqualified for a school. I didn't suggest YP for self-soothing purposes, but I don't see how making someone feel better is a bad thing. We're all anxious enough as it is.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

01panm

New

Postby 01panm » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:44 pm

Alexandros wrote:
sittykitty wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
sittykitty wrote:
fall17law wrote:

Yield protection

Wait - Didn't think NYU even did YP? Look at their LSN graphs vs. UVA or Penn, for example. Very green in the upper-hand corner.
(Unless they've decided to start... :| )

I've heard that T6 doesn't YP but instead just throws full scholarships to candidates they think might go to HYS.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:45 pm

sittykitty wrote:
Anon.y.mousse. wrote:https://www.law.umich.edu/connection/a2z/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=11

I mean, ignoring the part where Mich and NYU are completely different schools, I don't know why you would encourage someone to believe that there are flaws in their application that would cause a ding rather than letting them believe that they are an excellent candidate who may be overqualified for a school. I didn't suggest YP for self-soothing purposes, but I don't see how making someone feel better is a bad thing. We're all anxious enough as it is.

Yeah, I'm not getting the argumentative nature this conversation has taken, lol. I guess tensions are just high because people are feeling anxious?! :shock:

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:46 pm

Alexandros wrote:
sittykitty wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
sittykitty wrote:
fall17law wrote:

Yield protection

Wait - Didn't think NYU even did YP? Look at their LSN graphs vs. UVA or Penn, for example. Very green in the upper-hand corner.
(Unless they've decided to start... :| )

Based on the way this cycle is going, anything seems to be possible. Unfortunately. Lol.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:53 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jonofalltrades

New

Postby jonofalltrades » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:05 pm

+1

I manage a lot of volunteers, interns, and new hires at my job, and some people knock it out of the park: their resumes, their cover letters, how they present their application, how they interview. And sometimes we still don't take that person because it doesn't feel like the right fit. Like, "they're really qualified, but not here."

Jobs are, of course, WAY different than law school admissions, but I'm sure there is an X-factor component. Does he seem cocky from the way his professors write about him, even though his professors say good things? Despite a kickass resume, does she still not stand out from the other kickass resumes? Even though his personal statement was A+, did he write about his study abroad like everyone else? Who knows.

There's also a self-selection bias. The majority of candidates applying are probably really, really great, and could do well at NYU law. How do you choose among a bunch of really great candidates whose LSAT scores all put them in the top 5% of scorers? Gotta be something else there, I think.

SJ1211

New

Postby SJ1211 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:23 pm

Hi all --

I was thrilled to get accepted yesterday! Since I spent some time anxiously going through this forum for info, I thought I'd repay the favor:

GPA ~ 50, LSAT > 75. Strong softs.
I submitted late December and never went UR2. Hope that is reassuring to anyone who's worried that they're still at UR1!

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:12 pm

brinicolec wrote:
sittykitty wrote:

Yeah, I'm not getting the argumentative nature this conversation has taken, lol. I guess tensions are just high because people are feeling anxious?! :shock:

wasn't trying to be argumentative in the least! just was saying at some point in the rankings, YP logically should stop being an explanation and it comes down to luck of who reads your file/intangibles/a number of other things. i happen to think it's overused and that we should be totally fine with saying, hey sometimes shit happens and you don't get in even though your numbers suggest you had a great shot. wasn't calling out anyone/targeting them in particular in making that observation.

to the kitty: yes thank you for defining the obvious that michigan and nyu are different schools, just was using that post from an admissions officer with years of experience to make a broader point.

armc808

Bronze

Postby armc808 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:41 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:wasn't trying to be argumentative in the least! just was saying at some point in the rankings, YP logically should stop being an explanation and it comes down to luck of who reads your file/intangibles/a number of other things. i happen to think it's overused and that we should be totally fine with saying, hey sometimes shit happens and you don't get in even though your numbers suggest you had a great shot. wasn't calling out anyone/targeting them in particular in making that observation.

+1

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:44 pm

armc808 wrote:
Anon.y.mousse. wrote:wasn't trying to be argumentative in the least! just was saying at some point in the rankings, YP logically should stop being an explanation and it comes down to luck of who reads your file/intangibles/a number of other things. i happen to think it's overused and that we should be totally fine with saying, hey sometimes shit happens and you don't get in even though your numbers suggest you had a great shot. wasn't calling out anyone/targeting them in particular in making that observation.

+1

hellohalo

Silver

Postby hellohalo » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:20 pm

It's not YP, not #, not luck. It's all the magical destiny.

RParadela

Silver

Postby RParadela » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:23 am

jonofalltrades wrote:

+1

I manage a lot of volunteers, interns, and new hires at my job, and some people knock it out of the park: their resumes, their cover letters, how they present their application, how they interview. And sometimes we still don't take that person because it doesn't feel like the right fit. Like, "they're really qualified, but not here."

Jobs are, of course, WAY different than law school admissions, but I'm sure there is an X-factor component. Does he seem cocky from the way his professors write about him, even though his professors say good things? Despite a kickass resume, does she still not stand out from the other kickass resumes? Even though his personal statement was A+, did he write about his study abroad like everyone else? Who knows.

There's also a self-selection bias. The majority of candidates applying are probably really, really great, and could do well at NYU law. How do you choose among a bunch of really great candidates whose LSAT scores all put them in the top 5% of scorers? Gotta be something else there, I think.

Comparing law school and the job market isn't the best comparison. This website vastly overestimates the importance of factors that aren't LSAT and GPA. At the end of the day, law school is a numbers game

jonofalltrades

New

Postby jonofalltrades » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:50 am

RParadela wrote:
jonofalltrades wrote:

+1

Comparing law school and the job market isn't the best comparison. This website vastly overestimates the importance of factors that aren't LSAT and GPA. At the end of the day, law school is a numbers game

Yeah, and I agree 98%. It is a numbers game. I'm under no illusion that schools don't butter their admissions websites to make it seem more attainable than it is. What I'm saying is that there are plenty of candidates with the same or worse numbers as me who got into NYU while I'm waiting, and plenty of candidates with same or better numbers than me who didn't get into the schools I did. It's another option besides YP to explain why the numbers game doesn't always work.

Pozzo

Gold

Postby Pozzo » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:59 am

UR1 today, looks like I have a long wait ahead of me.

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:28 am

RParadela wrote:
jonofalltrades wrote:

+1

I believe that the other soft factors do make a difference. Often on LSN I'll check out a dot that seems surpinsgly WL or rejected, and often they were WL/dinged at every school to which their numbers suggest they should've gotten it. It's pretty noticeable. I've even seen ppl on here with similar numbers to me who have been WL to many schools to which it's suggested they will get in.

For me, my softs and applications may not get me into columbia, but it'll give me a better shot at the other schools to which I've applied.

ad34964n

Bronze

Postby ad34964n » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:34 am

Please GOD let there be something today

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:37 am

Motion to rename softs "hards"

"what r ur hards, guys??"
"stats? good hards?"
"stellar LOCI and WE here; top notch hards also"

I'm laughing harder than I should be. I'm 24, I swear!

forum_user

Silver

Postby forum_user » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:38 am

mm2368 wrote:Motion to rename softs "hards"

"stats? good hards?"

Average hards :(

Smc1994

Silver

Postby Smc1994 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:38 am

mm2368 wrote:Motion to rename softs "hards"

"stats? good hards?"

Frankly, I only have average hards. It's nothing of which one should feel ashamed; I believe it's the way in which one uses his hards that counts. Really. My average hards have satisfied quite a few AdComms.
Last edited by Smc1994 on Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?