NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How long would you wait on the waitlist?

Forever until I die
36%
Until a few days before classes start somewhere else
19%
A few weeks
17%
I wouldn't wait on the waitlist because I can't take waiting anymore
22%
I didn't even apply
7%

Total votes: 138

futuregingerlawyer

New

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby futuregingerlawyer » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:50 pm

Hey everyone, quick question about visiting NYU after being admitted. Will NYU pay for a plane/train ticket and/or hotel room for me? What about for my girlfriend or parents? Can I just email the admissions team and ask, or is that in bad taste? Anyone have any experience with this? I was admitted back in early November, if that matters.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:51 pm

futuregingerlawyer wrote:Hey everyone, quick question about visiting NYU after being admitted. Will NYU pay for a plane/train ticket and/or hotel room for me? What about for my girlfriend or parents? Can I just email the admissions team and ask, or is that in bad taste? Anyone have any experience with this? I was admitted back in early November, if that matters.

Some schools give traveling stipends, idk if NYU does. No to the parents/girlfriend. You can ask. Just inquire about whether or not they provide stipends for admitted students who want to visit.

notorious_mig

Bronze

Postby notorious_mig » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:36 pm

Someone wanna tell me why I went UR2 today (1/1/17) after being UR1 since 10/25/16???????

I'm Latina with a 3.67/170 and a Fulbright and applied for the Latino Rights Scholarship if that's relevant at all

(I would have looked up what my stats are in relation to the 25/50/75 but I'm currently on a plane that's about to take off and am 2 lazy 2 look that up wh00ps)

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:01 am

notorious_mig wrote:Someone wanna tell me why I went UR2 today (1/1/17) after being UR1 since 10/25/16???????

I'm Latina with a 3.67/170 and a Fulbright and applied for the Latino Rights Scholarship if that's relevant at all

(I would have looked up what my stats are in relation to the 25/50/75 but I'm currently on a plane that's about to take off and am 2 lazy 2 look that up wh00ps)

There's really no rhyme or reason to it lol.

armc808

Bronze

Postby armc808 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:23 am

brinicolec wrote:
notorious_mig wrote:Someone wanna tell me why I went UR2 today (1/1/17) after being UR1 since 10/25/16???????

A bit peculiar given it's a Sunday and a holiday, no? Either way seems like welcome news to me haha.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:45 am

armc808 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

A bit peculiar given it's a Sunday and a holiday, no? Either way seems like welcome news to me haha.

Eh, who knows. Adcomm seem to be doing weird things right now, probably because of the holiday. Like I said, I wouldn't think much of it. A lot of people have said that they've gon UR2 at NYU and nothing else so far.

01panm

New

Postby 01panm » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:03 am

Yep, UR1 10/27, UR2 1/1.

GPA < 25, LSAT > 75, Non-URM.

Who knows.

notorious_mig

Bronze

Postby notorious_mig » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:18 am

brinicolec wrote:
armc808 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

Eh, who knows. Adcomm seem to be doing weird things right now, probably because of the holiday. Like I said, I wouldn't think much of it. A lot of people have said that they've gon UR2 at NYU and nothing else so far.

Damn #damn ok I'll keep holding on to the shreds of hope I've maintained in spite of the entire shitshow of a year that was 2016

notorious_mig

Bronze

Postby notorious_mig » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:18 am

01panm wrote:Yep, UR1 10/27, UR2 1/1.

Who knows.

Did you apply for a scholarship?

01panm

New

Postby 01panm » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:38 am

notorious_mig wrote:

Who knows.

Nah - does that make turnaround time faster or slower?

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Postby pleasesendhelp » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:08 am

Is URM2 a necessary or a sufficient?

I missed the day everyone was taught what all that meant

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:17 am

pleasesendhelp wrote:Is URM2 a necessary or a sufficient?

I missed the day everyone was taught what all that meant

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18478

A generally beneficial thread. UR2 is not sufficient though I believe it is necessary for NYU. The 1st post of each thread should tell you the application review expectations also this thread has most of them:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=272153

E: looks like it's not necessary either for NYU

notorious_mig

Bronze

Postby notorious_mig » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:14 pm

01panm wrote:
notorious_mig wrote:

Who knows.

Nah - does that make turnaround time faster or slower?

I don't think so, I'm just livin la vida neurotic and trying to look for trends that probs don't exist

kkdk

Bronze

Postby kkdk » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:56 pm

Hey folks. Happy 2017. NYU 3L RTK here. Happy to answer any questions on NYU, if that's helpful!

fall17law

New

Postby fall17law » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:05 pm

kkdk wrote:Hey folks. Happy 2017. NYU 3L RTK here. Happy to answer any questions on NYU, if that's helpful!

Thanks for doing this! Happy New Year -- how has being an RTK had an impact on your experience at the law school (other than, obviously, the monetary component)?

tomgirl

New

Postby tomgirl » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:52 pm

kkdk wrote:Hey folks. Happy 2017. NYU 3L RTK here. Happy to answer any questions on NYU, if that's helpful!

Do you feel like getting the RTK is a Herculean task?

zeglo

Silver

Postby zeglo » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:54 pm

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

kkdk

Bronze

Postby kkdk » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:25 am

Hey guys, I'll respond to all the questions here.

1) Impact on my experience.

This is a really interesting question, haven't really been asked point blank before. I feel like the answer has to be a yes, but it isn't clear to me what parts of my experience were directly attributable to RTK, the PI community writ large, my personality, or other smaller factors. I gave this one a bit of thought, and I think there are at least two unique ways in which being a Root has moulded my experience here. First, is that being a Root alerts you pretty quickly to just how little the 'law' has to do with 'justice'. I imagine there are a great many of you who roll your eyes at that revelation and say, "Well obviously that's true." Fair. Maybe I was just naive. But there's a sense in which the public interest community, especially the niche elite cohort RTK scholars, can lead you to believe that law school and law itself will allow us to rectify inequalities around society. Law school does not provide much evidence that that's true. Roots are by their very nature, bleeding heart types with pretty radical views (with a few noted exceptions). So that conflict, the idea that law school is not structured (either academically or otherwise) to address 'justice' as a concept, is something that we have to confront on a daily basis. The impact of that confrontation is mixed. Some find law school isolating and cold. Others find solidarity in other Roots (we have monthly dinners and other events that create space for that). But theory classes can be tough. Professors say shit. Students say worse shit. For my part, understanding this has taught me not to rely on law school for evidence that the law as a profession can be used for progressive work, and to find evidence of that elsewhere. Internships have been very helpful in that respect.

The second thing that has been impacted is my social life. You find out that there are many, many more people than the 20 or so awardees who are committed to similar ideas and goals. And often times, they become better friends than your fellow Roots. I wouldn't claim to be very close with my Root class (again, with maybe 2-3 noted exceptions). On the other side of that coin, I think the RTK program might have unwittingly created a great community at the risk of members of that community not welcoming deviating viewpoints. Most people at NYU are left anyways, so that's probably not a big deal. But if you think about the profession writ large, it is a big deal. I think many folks can go through law school as Roots and silo themselves very easily. I'm just not that type of person, but for a large part of 1L I did act that way because the program makes that easy for you.

I will say that being a Root has been an absolute honor. Everyone in the program is an incredible person, and will go on to do great things. But the program is not, and should not, be the defining cornerstone of one's law school experience. It is and will be a healthy part of it, but I adivse any future or aspiring Roots not to let that be a burdensome label that draws you away from who you are coming in.

Sorry if this is long-winded. After five semesters, you have a lot to say I guess.

I'll have more replies to other questions soon! Keep 'em coming.

kkdk

Bronze

Postby kkdk » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:17 am

tomgirl wrote:

Do you feel like getting the RTK is a Herculean task?

Not really. Somewhere on this forum I posted a massive Interview Prep thing for RTK interviewees. Search my posts for it, if you like.

I think the "Herculean" part of the RTK is a moot point, because it's what you've done upto this point that will count. So if you're RTK material, 80-90% of that effort is already in your past and in your resume/PS/transcript.

I think what is tough is establishing 'fit', but that's true of anything. Sometimes, your interests will just make you a great candidate. For example, RTK almost always has one environmental person. Rarely more than one. So if you're that one person who happened to dedicate their whole life to that cause, you tick a special x-factor box simply by virtue of that interest. Distinguishing amongst the dime-a-dozen direct services or public defender types is harder. That's where things like diversity come into play, interesting stories, compelling personal narratives.

I think we review about 200 applications, and interview around 60 students, and award 20. The first set of cuts are massive, but after that, it's literally a coin-flip situation. I've done two cycles of evaluations now, and I can safely say that when we call you for an interview, it's because we think you can get the RTK. The 20 that get it weren't more qualified. They just had that x-factor, which is really an element of luck. My own example: We saw Bryan Stevenson speak and he made an interesting point, the day before my interview (it was during ASW). The next day I quoted him twice (I was genuinely moved by his speech), and it so happened that one of my faculty interviewers was a huge fan of his work. I won her over. Similarly, the representative from the sponsoring organization that covers part of my scholarship happened to have the same engineering major as me. He asked me about my science background, and we clicked. Things like that. Impossible to prepare for. But I can tell you we do assign interviewees to panels we think will best judge their abilities. So every interviewee has a chance to make those connections during the interview.

kkdk

Bronze

Postby kkdk » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:42 am

zeglo wrote:

Thanks!

1. Do people generally get what they want in terms of jobs? Hard to get a handle on how much of various statistics are due to self-selection versus something else.

2. Do you think NYU is on the rise, declining, or staying the same?

No problem!

1. More or less, yes. I'll go over different categories:

a) Roots tend to know what they want to do (with few noted exceptions) and how to get there. They got the Root because they amassed experience in their chosen fields already (e.g. the women's right advocate wants to work on abortion rights impact lit, so she/he has the requisite background). So when they apply, they have at least a couple of years of experience that makes them qualified. Also, the Root has a lot of cachet in the public service community. More so than any other public service scholarship (Toll, Georgetown PILS, Epstein Program at UCLA). If you are a Root, people treat your application differently. So that helps. The only NYU people to get Skaddens this year are both Roots.

b) Non-scholar PI folks probably find it a teeny bit harder, but not really. NYU is a great school which helps a lot. But many jobs require you to self-fund through fellowships, and those are hard to get. You're competing with HYS kids that eat up a lot of the EJW/Skadden opportunities. Sometimes PI folks will need to cast wider nets because jobs are just harder to come by, but I think most do get at least their field, if not their field and their 1st choice city.

c) Non-PI folks, well, if you did EIW, liked your firm, and got an offer after 2L SA, you're pretty much set. Again, NYU's brand helps a great deal. Nearly everyone in my class got callbacks from 'good' firms. I do know a couple that got no-offered, but those were likely issues of personality, or the firm itself had a major restructuring.

d) Honors/Clerkship folks are a special case. That can be extremely competitive. The ones that are getting those are Top 10% anyway, and would have gotten whatever they wanted anyway. Many NYU students who apply for these positions don't get them, either because they aren't good enough academically, or just can't beat out the HYS kids. But a select few do. A LOT of my class got clerkships. Like 1/5, which is a lot considering how competitive districts are these days.

2. I think NYU is probably on the rise. Medians did take a bit of a dip on the LSAT side I believe, but went up on GPA. That's one metric. The school has a knack for having good leadership. John Sexton was a controversial character, but Ricky Revesz was beloved and did an incredible job as Dean. Dean Morrison has a different approach but is also doing some great things for the school. The school poaches really, really well (to the chagrin of students who feel baiting profs with 4.2 million dollar condos in the Village isn't the best use of their debt-financed tuition money. Sounds like a fair point.) and so we have some great teachers here. The clinic offerings are great, and the DC program is very unique. Space is an issue, and I think transparency can be an issue as well. But those are issues that all schools have and will continue to have. I think the law school can be better about dealing with students who react negatively to school decisions (see, e.g., Harold Koh). I also think student groups can do better about dealing with each other (See, e.g., ATL covering the Israel-Palestine shitshows on our class forum). And the school can do MILES better on diversity. We had a massive drop-off in racial diversity with the incoming class of 2019, from what I heard. Recruitment for diverse students needs to be better. But overall, I think NYU is better than when I entered in 2014, and as long as there are committed profs and spaces for conversations to be had respectfully and critically, the old purple palace will be alright.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:54 am

Thanks for answering questions!

Would you say that NYU is a good school to go to for those interested in entertainment law? (based on resources, internship opps, placement that you know of)

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:43 am

Thanks for all the answers you've already posted! I'm a current RTK applicant hoping to make it to the interviews, so I was really excited to read about some of your experiences (also, side note: Bryan Stevenson spoke at my UG institution a few years ago and really moved me when he spoke as well. I read his book a few months ago, which only deepened my admiration, and then I freaked out when I found out he teaches at NYU. Not really sure what the point of this comment is other than to say I'm a fan too ;) )

What has been the hardest thing about an RTK scholar? And conversely, what--for you personally--is the best part of being RTK?

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:32 am

UR2 finally! is there a correlation between UR2 and when you hear back? or is it possible that I can be UR2 for a very long time?

edit: nvm, looks like there's no correlation. also, submitted mid November.

addie1412

Silver

Postby addie1412 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:48 am

proteinshake wrote:UR2 finally! is there a correlation between UR2 and when you hear back? or is it possible that I can be UR2 for a very long time?

edit: nvm, looks like there's no correlation. also, submitted mid November.

I submitted mid-late November and have been UR2 since 12/5. :( I know others have been UR2 much, much longer.

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:53 am

Still in UR1 hell over here.

Not sure if it's worse to be stuck in UR1 forever or UR2 forever.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?