NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How long would you wait on the waitlist?

Forever until I die
49
36%
Until a few days before classes start somewhere else
26
19%
A few weeks
23
17%
I wouldn't wait on the waitlist because I can't take waiting anymore
30
22%
I didn't even apply
10
7%
 
Total votes: 138

User avatar
Slytherpuff

Platinum
Posts: 5401
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Slytherpuff » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:17 pm

proteinshake wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:Current 3L here, feel free to PM me if you have questions about the school! I love the community and overall vibe here, and am super happy with my school decision.

what do the rent prices look like?

I might not be the best person to ask since I lived on campus my first two years here! Basically it varies a lot by neighborhood and how many roommates you have. For two bedrooms you're probably looking $1500-$1900 each, for a studio it'll be more like $2000-2400 but you might get lucky and find one around $1800. It's definitely doable to live around school or in the East Village, but if you want something really cheap you'll probably want to look outside of Manhattan or pretty far north.

I would recommend checking out Craigslist, Padmapper, and Streeteasy for more ideas of what the rent is like by neighborhood and what you can get for your money.

HaveMercy

New
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 5:47 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby HaveMercy » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:17 pm

Application question here: I have a diversity statement, but I would not necessarily call myself an Underrepresented Group (Cuban). Should I mark "This section does not apply to me" for the Underrepresented Group tab and upload a diversity statement as in the Additional Information tab? Thanks.

User avatar
Thelaw23

Silver
Posts: 790
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Thelaw23 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:42 am

Guys! By accident in the employment section, although it says that I worked 45 hours a week in my job throughout the same time period as I was in school, I by accident picked "no" for if employment was during the academic year.

The status check says that my app is under review. What do I do?

Edit: My PS also states that I worked during the academic year

User avatar
beckett

New
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:28 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby beckett » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:00 am

Thelaw23 wrote:Guys! By accident in the employment section, although it says that I worked 45 hours a week in my job throughout the same time period as I was in school, I by accident picked "no" for if employment was during the academic year.

The status check says that my app is under review. What do I do?

Edit: My PS also states that I worked during the academic year


Go ahead an email admissions stating you need to amend that section. I flubbed on something also and did this and they were very nice about updating my application for me. I figured it was better to have it amended in my file than for admissions to catch it later on.

User avatar
Thelaw23

Silver
Posts: 790
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Thelaw23 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:18 am

beckett wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:Guys! By accident in the employment section, although it says that I worked 45 hours a week in my job throughout the same time period as I was in school, I by accident picked "no" for if employment was during the academic year.

The status check says that my app is under review. What do I do?

Edit: My PS also states that I worked during the academic year


Go ahead an email admissions stating you need to amend that section. I flubbed on something also and did this and they were very nice about updating my application for me. I figured it was better to have it amended in my file than for admissions to catch it later on.


Yeah, that's what I just did. It's the same people amending the files that will be reviewing the app though, right?

User avatar
dietcoke1

Silver
Posts: 1326
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby dietcoke1 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:16 pm

in case anyone needs this info:

I called NYU about the underrepresented group section and if you address the underrepresented parts of you in the personal statement then there is no need to provide a statement in the optional attachment section. They said you might want to make a brief note of it in the optional attachment tho if that is the case.

mathaddict

New
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:10 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby mathaddict » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:20 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:in case anyone needs this info:

I called NYU about the underrepresented group section and if you address the underrepresented parts of you in the personal statement then there is no need to provide a statement in the optional attachment section. They said you might want to make a brief note of it in the optional attachment tho if that is the case.


Thanks for this info!

smartmoon

New
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:39 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby smartmoon » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:39 am

-
Last edited by smartmoon on Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Why???

New
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:34 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Why??? » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:12 am

smartmoon wrote:UR 2 on 10/11. Anyone else?

+1

ZVBXRPL

Silver
Posts: 581
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ZVBXRPL » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:46 am

What LSAT is needed for RTK? Lsn RTKers have like 172-179. A couple URMs have 160s. One guy has mid 160s. Am I out of running below 170?

User avatar
taxman14

Bronze
Posts: 498
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:04 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby taxman14 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:59 am

Why??? wrote:
smartmoon wrote:UR 2 on 10/11. Anyone else?

+1


+2

xnsch

Bronze
Posts: 160
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:31 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby xnsch » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:32 pm

taxman14 wrote:
Why??? wrote:
smartmoon wrote:UR 2 on 10/11. Anyone else?

+1


+2


UR2 on 10/12 for me!

User avatar
hamburg

New
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:44 am

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby hamburg » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:13 pm

.
Last edited by hamburg on Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

playersball

Bronze
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:58 am

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby playersball » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:04 pm

hamburg wrote:The C&F portion asks if you have ever "been charged with or found to have committed any offense (whether or not defined as a crime)". Does anyone know if we should include minor traffic violations in this? Most other applications specifically exclude them, but this doesn't and the wording seems pretty broad...


I included minor traffic violations since it did not exclude them like other schools do. It won't hurt you and it is better to be inclusive.

User avatar
studyingeveryday

Silver
Posts: 545
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:19 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby studyingeveryday » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:58 pm

So, NYU doesn't have a "why NYU" essay. Do you guys think it's okay if I write a page as an addendum about why NYU is one of my top choices?

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby brinicolec » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:42 am

studyingeveryday wrote:So, NYU doesn't have a "why NYU" essay. Do you guys think it's okay if I write a page as an addendum about why NYU is one of my top choices?


I've called and asked them about this. It's allowed lol.

User avatar
PDX4343

Silver
Posts: 558
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:59 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby PDX4343 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:44 pm

Does anybody here know if NYU grants need-based fee waiver requests for applicants who haven't served in the military, the Peace Corps, or TFA? Some schools, like Cornell, have a form you can fill out and send in, but I haven't seen anything like that for NYU. I'll probably email the admissions department, but just thought I'd check here as well.

User avatar
ashrice13

Gold
Posts: 1792
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:30 am

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ashrice13 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:38 am

Checking in!

NorthDragon

New
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:25 am

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby NorthDragon » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:56 pm

Quick question: for NYU, do we need to write a detailed description of our college and post-college activities as the Yale app requires? thanks!

User avatar
Kaziende

Bronze
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:10 am

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Kaziende » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:53 pm

NorthDragon wrote:Quick question: for NYU, do we need to write a detailed description of our college and post-college activities as the Yale app requires? thanks!

Yale is the only school that asks for this.

NorthDragon

New
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:25 am

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby NorthDragon » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:41 pm

Kaziende wrote:
NorthDragon wrote:Quick question: for NYU, do we need to write a detailed description of our college and post-college activities as the Yale app requires? thanks!

Yale is the only school that asks for this.


Thanks!

zeglo

Silver
Posts: 664
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:42 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby zeglo » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:17 pm

.
Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
proteinshake

Gold
Posts: 4637
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby proteinshake » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:21 pm

zeglo wrote:Does anyone else find it odd how easy it seems to get in at NYU given its percentage of acceptances and numbers? How is NYU ranked sixth?

perception of the schools is a bigger driver of the rankings than numbers.

zeglo

Silver
Posts: 664
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:42 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby zeglo » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:24 pm

.
Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
proteinshake

Gold
Posts: 4637
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby proteinshake » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:40 pm

zeglo wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
zeglo wrote:Does anyone else find it odd how easy it seems to get in at NYU given its percentage of acceptances and numbers? How is NYU ranked sixth?

perception of the schools is a bigger driver of the rankings than numbers.


So does that mean NYU is overrated, or underrated? I am so confused about the school. The employment numbers do seem okay.

I mean I think it's properly ranked. the more important thing is that NYU has better employment stats than the T14 schools below it.



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests