NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How long would you wait on the waitlist?

Forever until I die
49
35%
Until a few days before classes start somewhere else
27
19%
A few weeks
23
17%
I wouldn't wait on the waitlist because I can't take waiting anymore
30
22%
I didn't even apply
10
7%
 
Total votes: 139

User avatar
galeatus

Silver
Posts: 958
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:53 am

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby galeatus » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:54 pm

appind wrote:
galeatus wrote:
hellohalo wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:
hellohalo wrote:Only 5 GPA wasn't counted (only 5 international undergrads went to NYU?)

Not great news to me.


Oh damn, is that what that means? International as well, and it seems like all the internationals I've seen have LSATS above the median.


I guess so. If your GPA is evaluated as A/B/C/D by LSAC. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.


How International evaluation is used in apps is kind of a black box. I think the general consensus is that if your eval is Above Average, then your grades will be treated as median (though probably not true for HYS), Superior will give you a boost, while Average will hurt your app a bit.

I have seen internationals get into schools with below median LSATs though, albeit only 1 point below.


if an international gpa is 2.9 with Superior evaluation, how would it be treated at t6?
would it be seen as 4.0?


That's an interesting one. I feel that they will lean more on your Superior eval than the 2.9. If they don't have a large applicant pool from your school (which is likely the case for most international schools) they don't really have much of a clue wrt whether there is any grade inflation/deflation, so they have to rely on your LSAC report.

User avatar
appind

Gold
Posts: 2258
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:07 am

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby appind » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:15 pm

galeatus wrote:
appind wrote:
galeatus wrote:
hellohalo wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:
hellohalo wrote:Only 5 GPA wasn't counted (only 5 international undergrads went to NYU?)

Not great news to me.


Oh damn, is that what that means? International as well, and it seems like all the internationals I've seen have LSATS above the median.


I guess so. If your GPA is evaluated as A/B/C/D by LSAC. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.


How International evaluation is used in apps is kind of a black box. I think the general consensus is that if your eval is Above Average, then your grades will be treated as median (though probably not true for HYS), Superior will give you a boost, while Average will hurt your app a bit.

I have seen internationals get into schools with below median LSATs though, albeit only 1 point below.


if an international gpa is 2.9 with Superior evaluation, how would it be treated at t6?
would it be seen as 4.0?


That's an interesting one. I feel that they will lean more on your Superior eval than the 2.9. If they don't have a large applicant pool from your school (which is likely the case for most international schools) they don't really have much of a clue wrt whether there is any grade inflation/deflation, so they have to rely on your LSAC report.


what if they have to compare say 2.9/superior with 3.7/above-average rating?

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4479
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby brinicolec » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:29 pm

Keilz wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
Kaylasvi wrote:So do we think regular admissions are done until after the holidays or are non-ED people still hearing back?


big wave 12/22/15. I am still (kind of) hopeful (kind of).


I'm hopeful too


I'll pretend to be hopeful because it'd be nice to get a decision lol

User avatar
galeatus

Silver
Posts: 958
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:53 am

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby galeatus » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:40 pm

appind wrote:
galeatus wrote:
appind wrote:
galeatus wrote:
hellohalo wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:
hellohalo wrote:Only 5 GPA wasn't counted (only 5 international undergrads went to NYU?)

Not great news to me.


Oh damn, is that what that means? International as well, and it seems like all the internationals I've seen have LSATS above the median.


I guess so. If your GPA is evaluated as A/B/C/D by LSAC. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.


How International evaluation is used in apps is kind of a black box. I think the general consensus is that if your eval is Above Average, then your grades will be treated as median (though probably not true for HYS), Superior will give you a boost, while Average will hurt your app a bit.

I have seen internationals get into schools with below median LSATs though, albeit only 1 point below.


if an international gpa is 2.9 with Superior evaluation, how would it be treated at t6?
would it be seen as 4.0?


That's an interesting one. I feel that they will lean more on your Superior eval than the 2.9. If they don't have a large applicant pool from your school (which is likely the case for most international schools) they don't really have much of a clue wrt whether there is any grade inflation/deflation, so they have to rely on your LSAC report.


what if they have to compare say 2.9/superior with 3.7/above-average rating?


(!Wild Speculation Alert!) I would still SPECULATE that they treat the Superior more favourably. Like I said, since they don't have reliable data on the grades at a particular school, they can only trust the external evaluators that LSAC uses to evaluate these transcripts, who probably would have done some research on the school and have a better range of applicant data than the adcomms, and the adcomms may just assume that the evaluators know something that they don't. The discrepancy between the GPA and the rating would definitely raise a few eyebrows tho, and they may ask some related questions in interviews.

That said, it is entirely possible that these two are viewed to be roughly equal, or that a school may take only the actual GPA into account and ignore the evaluation completely.

User avatar
hellohalo

Silver
Posts: 516
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:53 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby hellohalo » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:28 am

Do you have your hope up? :mrgreen:

User avatar
Thelaw23

Silver
Posts: 793
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Thelaw23 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:33 am

Anybody whose UR2 end of October, I don't even know how to feel about this. Like do I call them and try to remind them of my app :lol: :lol:

User avatar
SybillAnnDorsett

Gold
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:59 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:43 am

---
Last edited by SybillAnnDorsett on Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

20170826

New
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:06 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby 20170826 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:28 am

.
Last edited by 20170826 on Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fall17law

New
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:51 am

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby fall17law » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:38 am

Snowjon wrote:
mm2368 wrote:I'm sure they didn't forget! Lots of people hang out at UR2 from October into February and still get in!

Thelaw23 wrote:Anybody whose UR2 end of October, I don't even know how to feel about this. Like do I call them and try to remind them of my app :lol: :lol:


What about UR1 since October? (Above both 75ths for what its worth)


Actually same. I'm sure we're fine.

ad34964n

Bronze
Posts: 248
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:11 am

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ad34964n » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:40 am

UR2!!!!!! Went UR1 on 11/26. NYU is my absolute #1 choice. Sincerely hoping to hear back soon.

User avatar
SybillAnnDorsett

Gold
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:59 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:45 am

---
Last edited by SybillAnnDorsett on Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Keilz

Gold
Posts: 2318
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:35 am

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Keilz » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:50 am

guess no wave today. time to get back to work but cautiously watch Twitter for other schools ;) though NYU is my #1

User avatar
studyingeveryday

Silver
Posts: 545
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:19 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby studyingeveryday » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:56 am

ad34964n wrote:UR2!!!!!! Went UR1 on 11/26. NYU is my absolute #1 choice. Sincerely hoping to hear back soon.


omg, i'm also UR2 :shock: I don't have the stats to get in, but I'm hoping this means maybe a move toward waitlist (I would be so happy honestly) since my file wasn't just tossed?

ad34964n

Bronze
Posts: 248
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:11 am

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ad34964n » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:57 am

studyingeveryday wrote:
ad34964n wrote:UR2!!!!!! Went UR1 on 11/26. NYU is my absolute #1 choice. Sincerely hoping to hear back soon.


omg, i'm also UR2 :shock: I don't have the stats to get in, but I'm hoping this means maybe a move toward waitlist (I would be so happy honestly) since my file wasn't just tossed?


You never know!!!

User avatar
texteach

Bronze
Posts: 161
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:49 am

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby texteach » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:53 pm

UR1 11/11; UR2 12/19 - Fingers crossed for some good news soon!

User avatar
appind

Gold
Posts: 2258
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:07 am

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby appind » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:44 pm

galeatus wrote:
appind wrote:
galeatus wrote:
appind wrote:
galeatus wrote:
hellohalo wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:Oh damn, is that what that means? International as well, and it seems like all the internationals I've seen have LSATS above the median.


I guess so. If your GPA is evaluated as A/B/C/D by LSAC. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.


How International evaluation is used in apps is kind of a black box. I think the general consensus is that if your eval is Above Average, then your grades will be treated as median (though probably not true for HYS), Superior will give you a boost, while Average will hurt your app a bit.

I have seen internationals get into schools with below median LSATs though, albeit only 1 point below.


if an international gpa is 2.9 with Superior evaluation, how would it be treated at t6?
would it be seen as 4.0?


That's an interesting one. I feel that they will lean more on your Superior eval than the 2.9. If they don't have a large applicant pool from your school (which is likely the case for most international schools) they don't really have much of a clue wrt whether there is any grade inflation/deflation, so they have to rely on your LSAC report.


what if they have to compare say 2.9/superior with 3.7/above-average rating?


(!Wild Speculation Alert!) I would still SPECULATE that they treat the Superior more favourably. Like I said, since they don't have reliable data on the grades at a particular school, they can only trust the external evaluators that LSAC uses to evaluate these transcripts, who probably would have done some research on the school and have a better range of applicant data than the adcomms, and the adcomms may just assume that the evaluators know something that they don't. The discrepancy between the GPA and the rating would definitely raise a few eyebrows tho, and they may ask some related questions in interviews.

That said, it is entirely possible that these two are viewed to be roughly equal, or that a school may take only the actual GPA into account and ignore the evaluation completely.


i am not sure but it may be hard for adcom to simply go by evaluation rating when comparing a transcript mostly filled with Bs/superior rating with another transcript that's mostly As/above-average rating. considering how adcomms don't distinguish between GPAs from various majors or schools, it seems they shouldn't compare numerical values of GPA for internationals and should go strictly based on evaluation rating. but not sure how much data there is to support that.

there seems to be a huge lack of info about how t6 treat lsac evaluation/grades for international ug.

ad34964n

Bronze
Posts: 248
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:11 am

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ad34964n » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:04 pm

Looks like there was a mass batch of decisions on Tuesday of this week before Christmas (the 22nd) last year.

Perhaps we see something tomorrow!

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4479
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby brinicolec » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:38 pm

ad34964n wrote:Looks like there was a mass batch of decisions on Tuesday of this week before Christmas (the 22nd) last year.

Perhaps we see something tomorrow!


*fingers crossed, but only if it's an acceptance* :lol:

User avatar
appind

Gold
Posts: 2258
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:07 am

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby appind » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:22 pm

galeatus wrote:
appind wrote:
galeatus wrote:
appind wrote:
galeatus wrote:
hellohalo wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:Oh damn, is that what that means? International as well, and it seems like all the internationals I've seen have LSATS above the median.


I guess so. If your GPA is evaluated as A/B/C/D by LSAC. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.


How International evaluation is used in apps is kind of a black box. I think the general consensus is that if your eval is Above Average, then your grades will be treated as median (though probably not true for HYS), Superior will give you a boost, while Average will hurt your app a bit.

I have seen internationals get into schools with below median LSATs though, albeit only 1 point below.


if an international gpa is 2.9 with Superior evaluation, how would it be treated at t6?
would it be seen as 4.0?


That's an interesting one. I feel that they will lean more on your Superior eval than the 2.9. If they don't have a large applicant pool from your school (which is likely the case for most international schools) they don't really have much of a clue wrt whether there is any grade inflation/deflation, so they have to rely on your LSAC report.


what if they have to compare say 2.9/superior with 3.7/above-average rating?


(!Wild Speculation Alert!) I would still SPECULATE that they treat the Superior more favourably. Like I said, since they don't have reliable data on the grades at a particular school, they can only trust the external evaluators that LSAC uses to evaluate these transcripts, who probably would have done some research on the school and have a better range of applicant data than the adcomms, and the adcomms may just assume that the evaluators know something that they don't. The discrepancy between the GPA and the rating would definitely raise a few eyebrows tho, and they may ask some related questions in interviews.

That said, it is entirely possible that these two are viewed to be roughly equal, or that a school may take only the actual GPA into account and ignore the evaluation completely.


there is a spreadsheet for international applicants from a previous cycle at this link

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=233438&p=8214776&hilit=spreadsheet#p8214726

zeglo

Silver
Posts: 664
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:42 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby zeglo » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:26 pm

.
Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

tlee13

New
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:08 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby tlee13 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:39 am

Just went DLS! Happened within the past 10 minutes!

potterotter

Bronze
Posts: 352
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby potterotter » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:42 am

---
Last edited by potterotter on Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

mcvizz

New
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:13 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby mcvizz » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:42 am

So I missed a call from a 646 number at 8:30am. It only rang about 3 times so I didn't get to answer it and there was no message. Status checker still says under review. Is this just a coincidence? (I live in the midwest and never get calls from New York).

tlee13

New
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:08 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby tlee13 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:44 am

mcvizz wrote:So I missed a call from a 646 number at 8:30am. It only rang about 3 times so I didn't get to answer it and there was no message. Status checker still says under review. Is this just a coincidence? (I live in the midwest and never get calls from New York).


I'm going to say a coincidence...they typically don't call that early and I don't think I've heard of anyone getting a call before DLS

mcvizz

New
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:13 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby mcvizz » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:51 am

tlee13 wrote:
mcvizz wrote:So I missed a call from a 646 number at 8:30am. It only rang about 3 times so I didn't get to answer it and there was no message. Status checker still says under review. Is this just a coincidence? (I live in the midwest and never get calls from New York).


I'm going to say a coincidence...they typically don't call that early and I don't think I've heard of anyone getting a call before DLS


Whoever made that call is now my least favorite person.



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], joycool9567, Majestic-12 [Bot] and 5 guests