TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

tncats

Bronze

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (flexin pole)

Postby tncats » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:15 am

Keilz wrote:Thanks all for the consensus. I definitely need to get a fun colored blazer because I only have black. I'm wearing dress pants, flats, a shell top, and a cardigan :)

I felt weird going to an interview type thing and it wearing formal clothes lol

Perfect!

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:26 am

Can someone point me to the "all TV is trash" threads in the lounge?

Looking to get these last 30 posts today lol
Last edited by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash on Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

shotgunheist

Bronze

Postby shotgunheist » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:26 am

Entertainment Industry Studies lol

waldorf

Gold

Postby waldorf » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:33 am

airwrecka wrote:I wish everyone in this discussion would post their undergrad major when commenting :lol: I'm curious to see the correlation between different world views and what you studied in college!

For example, I studied global studies (where sometimes class discussions came close to saying capitalism is terrible and communism isn't that bad) and nonprofit/public management (which was housed in our business school--and let's be real, the business classes had a MUCH different opinion about capitalism). A lot of the time, I would have professors spouting completely contradictory ideologies at me in the same semester. My husband graduated with a business degree. When he would read my global studies papers for me, he was always flabergasted by some of the ideas contained therein.

Not trying to say that if you majored in a particular subject, you are bound to think/believe a certain way, but I do think that there is probably some correlation.

Political Science, Psychology, and Business. Minored in Finance and Multicultural studies.

I didn't contribute all that much but I'm very fiscally conservative, socially liberal/libertarian (very pro gun, left on most other 'social' issues), and lean left on foreign policy.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:43 am

Last edited by chargers21 on Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:52 am

Rant Time:

I hate how the left approaches gun control (and the debate in general). Maybe it's where I grew up, but I honestly think the nation as a whole is pretty much in agreement on where we should move on gun violence.

People should be responsible with guns, and there should be some level of background check when trying to purchase guns. This is the sentiment that 90% of this nation agrees with. This is what we should be aiming for, and the majority of politicians all over the nation are striving for that. Our system is broken, making sure the regulations we have in place actually work would do so much to help the public health crisis the left sees, while staying true to the liberties the right want to defend. Instead we turn gun control into a wedge issue, we have the loudest voices advocating for some insane gun control policy (when the battlefield is the ACLU vs. the left + the no fly list, you know something is wrong).

These advocates give the far right and real man to attack, which makes it all the more difficult for normal left and normal right to have a conversation on anything.

I just wish I could say "x politician doesn't want to take your guns" and there not be any doubt about the statement. Cleaning up our current system and increasing mental health spending would go so far in helping this issue, but we can't take the first step because someone's always talking about pistol grips or no fly lists. It's infuriating.
Last edited by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash on Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kopetz

Bronze

Postby Kopetz » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:52 am

Yes, Duke, I do "wish be remain" on your waitlist for 2017

RParadela

Silver

Postby RParadela » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:54 am

Meh, I'm in favor of a total gun ban other than hunting rifles (like England or Australia) but I'm not politically stupid and I understand that to get there (which we won't, admittedly) you have to take baby steps.

waldorf

Gold

Postby waldorf » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:56 am

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:Rant Time:

I hate how the left approaches gun control (and the debate in general). Maybe it's where I grew up, but I honestly think the nation as a whole is pretty much in agreement on where we should move on gun violence.

People should be responsible with guns, and there should be some level of background check when trying to purchase guns. This is the sentiment that 90% of this nation agrees with. This is what we should be aiming for, and the majority of politicians all over the nation are striving for that. Our system is broken, making sure the regulations we have in place actually work would do so much to help the public health crisis the left sees, while staying true to the liberties the right want to defend. Instead we turn gun control into a wedge issue, we have the loudest voices advocating for some insane gun control policy (when the battlefield is the ACLU vs. the left + the no fly list, you know something is wrong).

These advocates give the far right and real man to attack, which makes it all the more difficult for normal left and normal right to have a conversation on anything.

I just wish I could say "x politician doesn't want to take your guns" and there not be any doubt about the statement. Cleaning up our current system and increasing mental health spending would go so far in helping this issue, but we can't take the first step because someone's always talking about pistol grips or no fly lists. It's infuriating.

I think it's a symptom of a bigger problem where BOTH SIDES (the right and left) have gotten out of control and so crazy that they are easy to attack in general when much of the population is fairly moderate on a large majority of issues and probably could come to a consensus. I agree with everything you said on guns, but I think that we could get a majority of Americans on board with a moderate compromise on a lot of issues.

waldorf

Gold

Postby waldorf » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:58 am

RParadela wrote:Meh, I'm in favor of a total gun ban other than hunting rifles (like England or Australia) but I'm not politically stupid and I understand that to get there (which we won't, admittedly) you have to take baby steps.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:58 am

here we go again :lol:

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:58 am

Nothing sensible is ever going to happen on guns so it's such a moot trap debate unfortunately.

thatlawlkid

Gold

Postby thatlawlkid » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:00 am

Don't feel like reading the last 10 pages, anything important happen? did we create a new social media form to flex on?

RParadela

Silver

Postby RParadela » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:01 am

bwaldorf wrote:
RParadela wrote:Meh, I'm in favor of a total gun ban other than hunting rifles (like England or Australia) but I'm not politically stupid and I understand that to get there (which we won't, admittedly) you have to take baby steps.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Hahaha sorry bwaldorf! We are on pretty opposites of the political spectrum

chandhi

Gold

Postby chandhi » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:02 am

High key know a lot about gun policy and have found myself struggling with it. There are some major racial components (see: no-fly list, stop-and-frisk type targeting) that I can't ignore. That being said, I've done a lot of work for gun violence prevention. Also usually have a policy of discussing this issue in person only after some pretty scary incidents.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:04 am

bwaldorf wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:Rant Time:

I think it's a symptom of a bigger problem where BOTH SIDES (the right and left) have gotten out of control and so crazy that they are easy to attack in general when much of the population is fairly moderate on a large majority of issues and probably could come to a consensus. I agree with everything you said on guns, but I think that we could get a majority of Americans on board with a moderate compromise on a lot of issues.

That's true, I think it's a symptom of a larger problem. It just seems with gun control it's so much of a wedge issues that it pisses me off. Just anecdotally I know so many people who would be hard core Dems if they just didn't feel so demonized for liking guns. Even people who might not agree with some of the more liberal ideals are at least ok with the fringe thinking and recognizing that there will always be spectrums in big tent parties. With guns it's just different.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:04 am

proteinshake wrote:here we go again :lol:

Ehh seems to be at least a political consensus on the issue this time

waldorf

Gold

Postby waldorf » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:05 am

chandhi wrote:Also usually have a policy of discussing this issue in person only after some pretty scary incidents.

I'm the same way but probably on the other side (I became a lot more pro CC after I was assaulted myself and left with a two foot long scar on my arm to remind me of it :shock:). So I'll let y'all battle it out :P

chandhi

Gold

Postby chandhi » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:12 am

bwaldorf wrote:
chandhi wrote:Also usually have a policy of discussing this issue in person only after some pretty scary incidents.

I'm the same way but probably on the other side (I became a lot more pro CC after I was assaulted myself and left with a two foot long scar on my arm to remind me of it :shock:). So I'll let y'all battle it out :P

I am so, so sorry to hear that. That's unbelievable.

On a lighter note, I'm taking a seat on this issue. There's an open chair directly across the aisle from me that you're welcome to take. We can hang and gossip about other TLSers.

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:13 am

Oh no, not the gun debate.

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:17 am

Lol I'm in the same boat. I cannot wrap my head around ever desiring to own a gun for any reason whatsoever (including hunting, but I know I'm essentially alone in that viewpoint :lol:) and I think the right to own one is ridiculous, BUT I also realize my viewpoints are very extreme, and I don't actually think laws should be adopted to force everyone to conform to my beliefs :P haha

Oh, and I'm from the Midwest, everyone I know owns a gun (essentially), and my father-in-law's gun collection could very well be the most valuable of his assets. My husband completely disagrees with me about guns :P

waldorf

Gold

Postby waldorf » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:20 am

chandhi wrote:
bwaldorf wrote:

I am so, so sorry to hear that. That's unbelievable.

On a lighter note, I'm taking a seat on this issue. There's an open chair directly across the aisle from me that you're welcome to take. We can hang and gossip about other TLSers.

I'll bring the wine!!

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:21 am

jjcorvino wrote:Oh no, not the gun debate.

I'm not even trying to have the gun debate, just discussing the political expediency of how it is approached currently which to be fair, most everybody is continuing to discuss

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:23 am

Warned ya'll I was gonna start some shit to farm those posts :wink:

chandhi

Gold

Postby chandhi » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:25 am

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:Warned ya'll I was gonna start some shit to farm those posts :wink:

LOL someone saw my LinkedIn...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?