TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

Stephylynette

Bronze

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (flexin pole)

Postby Stephylynette » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:32 am

HennessyVSOP wrote:
airwrecka wrote:I wish everyone in this discussion would post their undergrad major when commenting :lol: I'm curious to see the correlation between different world views and what you studied in college!

For example, I studied global studies (where sometimes class discussions came close to saying capitalism is terrible and communism isn't that bad) and nonprofit/public management (which was housed in our business school--and let's be real, the business classes had a MUCH different opinion about capitalism). A lot of the time, I would have professors spouting completely contradictory ideologies at me in the same semester. My husband graduated with a business degree. When he would read my global studies papers for me, he was always flabergasted by some of the ideas contained therein.

Not trying to say that if you majored in a particular subject, you are bound to think/believe a certain way, but I do think that there is probably some correlation.

African-American Studies and Politics

I majored in Political science and minored in women's studies and African American studies! Fully committed to the liberal agenda

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:32 am

Last edited by chargers21 on Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:18 am

Keilz wrote:Hey sry to talk about law skool but if anyone who attended the Duke open house in addition to Cornell and/or michigan, and wouldn't mind sharing their thoughts on how Duke compares to either of the two, it would be super helpful!! I went to C and M but not D

I didn't go the duke open house so I can't help but wanted you to know that the bolded have me a nice laugh on a dreary Tuesday morning.

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:22 am

ashrice13 wrote:
Keilz wrote:Hey sry to talk about law skool but if anyone who attended the Duke open house in addition to Cornell and/or michigan, and wouldn't mind sharing their thoughts on how Duke compares to either of the two, it would be super helpful!! I went to C and M but not D

I didn't go the duke open house so I can't help but wanted you to know that the bolded have me a nice laugh on a dreary Tuesday morning.

Lol :mrgreen: happy Tuesday! I took off work :P

Kopetz

Bronze

Postby Kopetz » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:33 am

airwrecka wrote:I wish everyone in this discussion would post their undergrad major when commenting :lol: I'm curious to see the correlation between different world views and what you studied in college!

For example, I studied global studies (where sometimes class discussions came close to saying capitalism is terrible and communism isn't that bad) and nonprofit/public management (which was housed in our business school--and let's be real, the business classes had a MUCH different opinion about capitalism). A lot of the time, I would have professors spouting completely contradictory ideologies at me in the same semester. My husband graduated with a business degree. When he would read my global studies papers for me, he was always flabergasted by some of the ideas contained therein.

Not trying to say that if you majored in a particular subject, you are bound to think/believe a certain way, but I do think that there is probably some correlation.

theology

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:43 am

I studied international relations and economics, but no one in my classes ever said that communism wasn't that bad. We actually discussed the flaws of communism in the Soviet Union, and it was regarded as kind of a retired ideology that had no bearing on current affairs. We didn't discuss capitalism but my professors were definitely pro free trade. They discussed the negatives but some downplayed them as inevitable and unavoidable.

meeseeks

Silver

Postby meeseeks » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:03 am

Mechanical Engineering and Economics

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:06 am

Keilz wrote:I studied international relations and economics, but no one in my classes ever said that communism wasn't that bad. We actually discussed the flaws of communism in the Soviet Union, and it was regarded as kind of a retired ideology that had no bearing on current affairs. We didn't discuss capitalism but my professors were definitely pro free trade. They discussed the negatives but some downplayed them as inevitable and unavoidable.

we are twins. I was political science (with a focus on international relations) and economics. holla.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:08 am

philosophy, political science, philosophy/politics/economics (don't quote)

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:12 am

I had the PPE minor too!
Last edited by Anon.y.mousse. on Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

jstans

Bronze

Postby jstans » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:13 am

Financial Management & Investment, Economics

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:16 am

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:.

honestly one of the best decisions I've ever made! such a great program! (at least at my UG)

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:17 am

Do I see a new Facebook poll forming?

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:36 am

HennessyVSOP wrote:

African-American Studies and Politics

Political Science- Focus on Political Philosophy/theory and a minor in Economics​.

I feel like reading philosophy and figuring out that some of the things being debated today have been debated for centuries, made me more conservative.

govlife

Bronze

Postby govlife » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:42 am

Economics and political science, here.

haley12

Silver

Postby haley12 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:46 am

International political economy w/ a minor in spanish... Idk why I chose such a long major it's so annoying to have to tell people :lol:

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:00 am

Sos what does a girl wear when meeting someone about a volunteer position? It's a nonprofit immigration center

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:01 am

Thank you for responding to my question everyone! :D Keilz, I think a poll on the fb group would be great haha!

I will say, matching viewpoints to majors seems to be meshing with what I would have expected.

Fun fact: one of my professors (I think he was in the political science department but his ideology was definitely not the "norm" for poli sci at my university) was obsessed with Cuba, thought Fidel Castro was a great guy, and really loved Marx and Engels. While I certainly don't agree with him on a lot of things, I'm really glad I had that perspective in order to form more balanced opinions. I had a social sciences teacher in high school who was as far right-wing as they come (and at the time, I didn't even realized how ridiculously biased he was because my hometown was so conservative it was essentially the norm), and POUNDED into our heads that communism was the root of all evil and literally nothing was worse than communism. Funny enough, he never once had us read a single thing by Marx (I'm talking not even one paragraph) and actually didn't tell us what communism WAS, as an ideology, at all. He just said over and over how bad/terrible communist rulers have been (Stalin, Mao, etc--which they have been). However, I think it's important to realize that the ideology itself is not the same as how people have interpreted it and carried it over into authoritarian rule (I'm not trying to say communism is great, either, just that it's interesting to actually READ what it's all about instead of just accepting for fact that it's evil without knowing what it actually is).

OK, that's my rant of the morning :P hahaha maybe I should go and actually do some work (for my job) now :lol:

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:02 am

Keilz wrote:Sos what does a girl wear when meeting someone about a volunteer position? It's a nonprofit immigration center

At the two immigration nonprofits I've worked at, the offices have been very casual. One of them had attorneys on staff, so it was a *little* more formal (business casual), but the other people just wore jeans and a semi-decent top. I'd say you're safe with business casual!

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:05 am

airwrecka wrote:
Keilz wrote:Sos what does a girl wear when meeting someone about a volunteer position? It's a nonprofit immigration center

At the two immigration nonprofits I've worked at, the offices have been very casual. One of them had attorneys on staff, so it was a *little* more formal (business casual), but the other people just wore jeans and a semi-decent top. I'd say you're safe with business casual!

Ok great thanks! I'm meeting one paralegal in between classes that she teaches. I'm going to wear black slacks with black flats and a shell like top

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:05 am

Probably B-caz. maybe a little more. I wouldn't go full OCI attire, but out of respect for the org I would wear something above casual.

I'm a guy so I have no idea on specifics but I think my girlfriends outfit of choice would be like a blouse or shirt (not an overly professional one just normal cotton) a simple skirt, and like a coral blazer with flats.

No need for a power suit or anything

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:06 am

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:

Probably B-caz. maybe a little more. I wouldn't go full OCI attire, but out of respect for the org I would wear something above casual.

I'm a guy so I have no idea on specifics but I think my girlfriends outfit of choice would be like a blouse or shirt (not an overly professional one just normal cotton) a simple skirt, and like a coral blazer with flats.

I very much appreciate that you were able to describe a woman's outfit simply based on observing your girlfriend. Pretty sure my husband couldn't do that to save his life :lol:

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:07 am

airwrecka wrote:

I very much appreciate that you were able to describe a woman's outfit simply based on observing your girlfriend. Pretty sure my husband couldn't do that to save his life :lol:

I mean, it helps that she worked for an international non-profit so I just tried to remember what she usually wore when she came home from a meeting or something (i.e. one step up from the day to day)

tncats

Bronze

Postby tncats » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:09 am

I second Dr. Degrees about business casual. If you don't have a blazer, a cardigan would be fine too. I would probably wear slacks or a pencil skirt with some sort of simple blouse, colorful cardigan, and flats.

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:11 am

Thanks all for the consensus. I definitely need to get a fun colored blazer because I only have black. I'm wearing dress pants, flats, a shell top, and a cardigan :)

I felt weird going to an interview type thing and not wearing formal clothes lol
Last edited by Keilz on Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?