TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

brinicolec

Gold

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (flexin pole)

Postby brinicolec » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:41 pm

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:this conversation is going to go nowhere good fast.

keep going.

lol I replied then was like, "Actially, I don't wanna talk about this because they're not gonna see it the same way regardless."

Oh well, guess I stirred the pot for someone else.

I've already hit super status flair-wise so I'm good without continuing this convo :lol:

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:42 pm

RParadela wrote:To stir the pot a little again.. For those of you who were railing against taxation, how do you reconcile the fact that people born into money have huge amounts of advantages that kids born in poor family simply do not have. Advantages that rich kids never worked for a day in their life and haven't earned on merit.

people with good looks also have huge advantages over ugly people. I don't think the state should be involved in that though.

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:42 pm

omfg protein has me on the floor rn

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:44 pm

brinicolec wrote:

keep going.

lol I replied then was like, "Actially, I don't wanna talk about this because they're not gonna see it the same way regardless."

I've already hit super status flair-wise so I'm good without continuing this convo :lol:

Girl you brought race into it and my screaming "YASSS" was interrupted by the realization that somebody would ruin it all with ''not everything has to do with race" so my ass is gonna sit in this corner and focus instead on NYU hating me.

amta

Platinum

Postby amta » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:44 pm

proteinshake wrote:
RParadela wrote:To stir the pot a little again.. For those of you who were railing against taxation, how do you reconcile the fact that people born into money have huge amounts of advantages that kids born in poor family simply do not have. Advantages that rich kids never worked for a day in their life and haven't earned on merit.

people with good looks also have huge advantages over ugly people. I don't think the state should be involved in that though.

8)

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:44 pm

chargers21 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
chargers21 wrote:

Ehh, I was born poor. And I see rich families as having had someone work hard or have a great idea sometime in the past to earn them that lifestyle. Long term family financial stability incentives great ideas, in my opinion.

Wait, so rich kids somehow "earned" their advantage because one of their ancestors got filthy rich? Fucking weird logic, mate.

Come on, Alex, don't put words in my mouth. I'm saying the rich kids' ancestors earned the right to have their descendants be well off.

But some ppl literally got rich off of the labor of others... some ppl literally weren't able to become rich because of the racism in the country.

We're not an equal opportunity country, even if ppl want to pretend we are, so this argument is kinda strange to me.

Okay not saying anything else! Lol

RParadela

Silver

Postby RParadela » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:45 pm

CPA-->JD wrote:

Simple. Life is not fair. Your job is to make the most of your unique situation and circumstances.

"Life isn't fair" can be used to shrug off any negative thing you can think of. Get raped and tortured? Life isn't fair, make the best of it.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:46 pm

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

keep going.

Girl you brought race into it and my screaming "YASSS" was interrupted by the realization that somebody would ruin it all with ''not everything has to do with race" so my ass is gonna sit in this corner and focus instead on NYU hating me.

:lol: I just kinda get baffled by people sometimes. But oh well. I've found avoiding convos to be a lot less irritating

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:47 pm

proteinshake wrote:

Technically, if someone is denied a job because of that explicitly, they can sue because it's discriminatory.... so are you saying you don't have an issue with discrimination?

Monday

Silver

Postby Monday » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:48 pm

Last edited by Monday on Thu May 11, 2017 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

RParadela

Silver

Postby RParadela » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:50 pm

proteinshake wrote:

Cmon, that's not even remotely the same thing

Stephylynette

Bronze

Postby Stephylynette » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:52 pm

brinicolec wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:
Monday wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:I made a New Years Resolution to stop arguing or debating with people over the internet so I couldn't even participate in today's discussion. It's really messing with shitpoasting abilities :roll:

Good for you sticking to your NYR post-February. You should treat yo' self.

My thoughts exactly!!! Although I've already had 3 cupcakes today so I've probably treated myself enough for one day :lol: also, A+ Parks & Rec reference

Girl you ain't ever gon get your post count up with those limitations! Lol

I knowwww. This NYR in conjunction with my refusal to enter the lounge is really dooming me. Lol

Stephylynette

Bronze

Postby Stephylynette » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:53 pm

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:omfg protein has me on the floor rn

azaleafire

Bronze

Postby azaleafire » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:54 pm

Stephylynette wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:
Monday wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:I made a New Years Resolution to stop arguing or debating with people over the internet so I couldn't even participate in today's discussion. It's really messing with shitpoasting abilities :roll:

My thoughts exactly!!! Although I've already had 3 cupcakes today so I've probably treated myself enough for one day :lol: also, A+ Parks & Rec reference

I knowwww. This NYR in conjunction with my refusal to enter the lounge is really dooming me. Lol

I am with you, although its mostly so that I can maintain my blood pressure at a decent level. No stress = best.

Stephylynette

Bronze

Postby Stephylynette » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:59 pm

azaleafire wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:
Monday wrote:

I am with you, although its mostly so that I can maintain my blood pressure at a decent level. No stress = best.

That's exactly why I had to tell myself to stop!! The Facebook debates were getting out of control. I would get too emotionally involved and it genuinely messed with blood pressure and gave me migraines. Like talking about these issues, especially over the flawed medium of the internet, is terrible. I had to chill. It's done wonders for my peace of mind. Don't even let myself get involved anymore. Lol

Monday

Silver

Postby Monday » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:04 pm

Last edited by Monday on Thu May 11, 2017 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:05 pm

RParadela wrote:
proteinshake wrote:

Cmon, that's not even remotely the same thing

I actually think it is. regardless, I do think it's an unearned advantage. but I also don't think it's something that has moral status. saying "it's immoral for someone to have advantages because they were born rich" is like saying "it's immoral for someone to have advantages because they were born with blue eyes." so if you're trying to justify wealth transfer on the basis of morality, I don't think it works. I don't think you're trying to justify wealth transfer on the basis of consequentialism since you're referring to the fact that they are "advantages that rich kids never worked for a day in their life and haven't earned on merit."
Last edited by proteinshake on Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CPA-->JD

Bronze

Postby CPA-->JD » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:05 pm

RParadela wrote:
CPA-->JD wrote:

Simple. Life is not fair. Your job is to make the most of your unique situation and circumstances.

"Life isn't fair" can be used to shrug off any negative thing you can think of. Get raped and tortured? Life isn't fair, make the best of it.

I think in the context of using taxation to leglistate a level playing field, it is apropos.

As an aside, if you do chose to apply that principle a little more broadly, I do think it will lead to a happier and, ultimately, a more successful life than choosing to dwell on the myriad of inequalities that exist in all facets of our society.

In the words of Colin Cowherd, "Don't resent success." :)

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:06 pm

Stephylynette wrote:
SybillAnnDorsett wrote:omfg protein has me on the floor rn

me

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:06 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

waldorf

Gold

Postby waldorf » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:09 pm

proteinshake wrote:

#humbled #blessed

Monday

Silver

Postby Monday » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:10 pm

Last edited by Monday on Thu May 11, 2017 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:10 pm

Monday wrote:
bwaldorf wrote:
proteinshake wrote:

#humbled #blessed

Now you kinda have to PW.

or ya could just join the fb group ya dummy

waldorf

Gold

Postby waldorf » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:11 pm

CPA-->JD wrote:

+1.

Also, yes, they have a lot of advantages. But are you going to tell people that they can't work so their children can have a better life? One reason (actually, probably the biggest) I want to do well for myself is to give my children advantages that I didn't have. What is wrong with that?

Stephylynette

Bronze

Postby Stephylynette » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:12 pm

Monday wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:
Monday wrote:

Why avoid the Lounge? Come objectify men with us or haughtily judge every TV show as trash.

Honestly, I really would love to. But there are some insufferable people in the lounge that suck literally all the fun out of it, especially for newcomers. Might join in on the objectifying men though. I'm always down for that. It's really become a past time of mine on twitter

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?