TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

10
10
83%
9
0
No votes
8
1
8%
7
0
No votes
6
0
No votes
5
0
No votes
4
0
No votes
3
1
8%
2
0
No votes
1
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 12

Hennessy

Gold
Posts: 2516
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:54 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (flexin pole)

Postby Hennessy » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:59 pm

Scurvy Cur wrote:Probably because communal decision making doesn't deal with human nature very well, any government that gets in a protracted land war with market forces ends up losing it, and because nobody actually likes paying taxes (esp. those folks with $200k in loans who see the tax bill on their $180k salary).


Image

User avatar
amta

Platinum
Posts: 9459
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:40 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (flexin pole)

Postby amta » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:59 pm

bwaldorf wrote:wanna get married (I believe 2.5/3 of these things)


taxation may be theft, but monogamy is droll.

User avatar
waldorf

Gold
Posts: 2376
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:28 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (flexin pole)

Postby waldorf » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:00 pm

amta wrote:
bwaldorf wrote:wanna get married (I believe 2.5/3 of these things)


taxation may be theft, but monogamy is droll.


wanna have sex then

User avatar
Gitaroo_Dude

Silver
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:06 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (flexin pole)

Postby Gitaroo_Dude » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:00 pm

Scurvy Cur wrote:Most of my views have grown a little more moderate, or at least indifferent to how other people would prefer to do things, so long as they leave room for me to approach my life as I see fit, as I've gotten older. That said, I was still a little surprised to see how heavily the quiz labeled me a centrist on a number of issues, although that may also be because a lot of the questions felt a little poorly worded, or left insufficient room for nuance.


I'm basically in that camp too, in that I don't really care what other people choose to do for the most part. Like, I'm not sure I think healthcare is a right, but I'm not opposed to it either if we choose to codify it as such.

The one thing I've really shifted on is that I've grown a lot more supportive of an assertive foreign policy and have come to accept the loss of civil liberties in the digital age, which takes me out of the libertarian camp and probably puts me in with the neocons. :lol:

User avatar
amta

Platinum
Posts: 9459
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:40 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (flexin pole)

Postby amta » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:01 pm

bwaldorf wrote:wanna have sex then


depends on how you feel about the UN....

User avatar
proteinshake

Gold
Posts: 4644
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (flexin pole)

Postby proteinshake » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:02 pm

bwaldorf wrote:
amta wrote:
HennessyVSOP wrote:wow, the closer i get to 30, the more i'm wondering why we aren't all living in a commune, and why our state refuses to afford healthcare to its people, and why college-graduate peers continue to complain about their taxes


because communism is evil, healthcare is not a right, and taxation is theft.



wanna get married (I believe 2.5/3 of these things)

same lol

User avatar
waldorf

Gold
Posts: 2376
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:28 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (flexin pole)

Postby waldorf » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:02 pm

amta wrote:
bwaldorf wrote:wanna have sex then


depends on how you feel about the UN....


abolish

User avatar
amta

Platinum
Posts: 9459
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:40 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (flexin pole)

Postby amta » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:02 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:The one thing I've really shifted on is that I've grown a lot more supportive of an assertive foreign policy and have come to accept the loss of civil liberties in the digital age, which takes me out of the libertarian camp and probably puts me in with the neocons. :lol:


slow your roll. we could get rid of the NSA and i would not bat an eye.

User avatar
waldorf

Gold
Posts: 2376
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:28 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (flexin pole)

Postby waldorf » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:02 pm

proteinshake wrote:
bwaldorf wrote:
amta wrote:
HennessyVSOP wrote:wow, the closer i get to 30, the more i'm wondering why we aren't all living in a commune, and why our state refuses to afford healthcare to its people, and why college-graduate peers continue to complain about their taxes


because communism is evil, healthcare is not a right, and taxation is theft.



wanna get married (I believe 2.5/3 of these things)

same lol


xoxoxoxo

User avatar
amta

Platinum
Posts: 9459
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:40 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (flexin pole)

Postby amta » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:03 pm

bwaldorf wrote:abolish


yes yes yes. damn you sure know how to flirt.

User avatar
proteinshake

Gold
Posts: 4644
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (flexin pole)

Postby proteinshake » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:06 pm

bwaldorf wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
bwaldorf wrote:
amta wrote:
HennessyVSOP wrote:wow, the closer i get to 30, the more i'm wondering why we aren't all living in a commune, and why our state refuses to afford healthcare to its people, and why college-graduate peers continue to complain about their taxes


because communism is evil, healthcare is not a right, and taxation is theft.



wanna get married (I believe 2.5/3 of these things)

same lol


xoxoxoxo

:lol:

I'm guessing taxation is the .5?

Scurvy Cur

New
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:02 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (flexin pole)

Postby Scurvy Cur » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:08 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
Scurvy Cur wrote:Most of my views have grown a little more moderate, or at least indifferent to how other people would prefer to do things, so long as they leave room for me to approach my life as I see fit, as I've gotten older. That said, I was still a little surprised to see how heavily the quiz labeled me a centrist on a number of issues, although that may also be because a lot of the questions felt a little poorly worded, or left insufficient room for nuance.


I'm basically in that camp too, in that I don't really care what other people choose to do for the most part. Like, I'm not sure I think healthcare is a right, but I'm not opposed to it either if we choose to codify it as such.

The one thing I've really shifted on is that I've grown a lot more supportive of an assertive foreign policy and have come to accept the loss of civil liberties in the digital age, which takes me out of the libertarian camp and probably puts me in with the neocons. :lol:


I wound up here, for reference: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=44.9&d=59.6&g=73.7&s=65.8. Which probably puts me far to the capitalist side of most people here, though not so far that I become a bwaldorf-style second coming of Friedrich Hayek.

A lot of the questions were strange though.

User avatar
amta

Platinum
Posts: 9459
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:40 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (flexin pole)

Postby amta » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:09 pm

Scurvy Cur wrote:I wound up here, for reference: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=44.9&d=59.6&g=73.7&s=65.8. Which probably puts me far to the capitalist side of most people here, though not so far that I become a bwaldorf-style second coming of Friedrich Hayek.

A lot of the questions were strange though.


8)

User avatar
waldorf

Gold
Posts: 2376
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:28 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (flexin pole)

Postby waldorf » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:16 pm

amta wrote:
bwaldorf wrote:abolish


yes yes yes. damn you sure know how to flirt.


8)

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver
Posts: 1296
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:27 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (flexin pole)

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:17 pm

Would love to hear if any of you guys believe taxation is theft. Have never heard a reasonable support for that

User avatar
waldorf

Gold
Posts: 2376
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:28 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (flexin pole)

Postby waldorf » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:17 pm

proteinshake wrote:
bwaldorf wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
bwaldorf wrote:
amta wrote:
HennessyVSOP wrote:wow, the closer i get to 30, the more i'm wondering why we aren't all living in a commune, and why our state refuses to afford healthcare to its people, and why college-graduate peers continue to complain about their taxes


because communism is evil, healthcare is not a right, and taxation is theft.



wanna get married (I believe 2.5/3 of these things)

same lol


xoxoxoxo

:lol:

I'm guessing taxation is the .5?


Nah, healthcare. I don't think it's a right persay but we also cannot have a civilized society where people die in the streets

User avatar
amta

Platinum
Posts: 9459
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:40 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (flexin pole)

Postby amta » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:19 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:Would love to hear if any of you guys believe taxation is theft. Have never heard a reasonable support for that


its mandatory separation from labor

User avatar
waldorf

Gold
Posts: 2376
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:28 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (flexin pole)

Postby waldorf » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:20 pm

My boyfriend lives on the East Coast and hasn't had Shake Shack. I'm pretty sure this means he's a communist.

User avatar
ashrice13

Gold
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:30 am

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (flexin pole)

Postby ashrice13 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:21 pm

While everyone here is having thoughtful discussions on important political and economical topics I'm busy trying (and failing) not to scratch my itchy hives. like...I may be almost 30 but don't even let that fool you. I have no self control.

Oven mit hands it is.

User avatar
chandhi

Gold
Posts: 1899
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:29 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (flexin pole)

Postby chandhi » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:22 pm

bwaldorf wrote:My boyfriend lives on the East Coast and hasn't had Shake Shack. I'm pretty sure this means he's a communist.

As a comrade who has not eaten at Shake Shack, I can confirm that this is true. They make us take vows against it.

User avatar
amta

Platinum
Posts: 9459
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:40 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (flexin pole)

Postby amta » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:23 pm

bwaldorf wrote:My boyfriend lives on the East Coast and hasn't had Shake Shack. I'm pretty sure this means he's a communist.


does he think the UN serves a purpose? what about the legitimacy of the ICJ?

Alexandros

Platinum
Posts: 6478
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (flexin pole)

Postby Alexandros » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:23 pm

HennessyVSOP wrote:
Scurvy Cur wrote:Probably because communal decision making doesn't deal with human nature very well, any government that gets in a protracted land war with market forces ends up losing it, and because nobody actually likes paying taxes (esp. those folks with $200k in loans who see the tax bill on their $180k salary).


Image

User avatar
proteinshake

Gold
Posts: 4644
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (flexin pole)

Postby proteinshake » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:28 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:Would love to hear if any of you guys believe taxation is theft. Have never heard a reasonable support for that

good article on it by one of my favorite philosophers https://www.cato-unbound.org/2013/03/04 ... -authority

the book is also fantastic

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver
Posts: 1296
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:27 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (flexin pole)

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:30 pm

amta wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:Would love to hear if any of you guys believe taxation is theft. Have never heard a reasonable support for that


its mandatory separation from labor


A) it's in exchange for services already rendered throughout the year.

B) theft has a definite requirement and governments compelling their citizenry does not satisfy

Scurvy Cur

New
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:02 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (flexin pole)

Postby Scurvy Cur » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:38 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:Would love to hear if any of you guys believe taxation is theft. Have never heard a reasonable support for that


The argument usually goes something like this:

"People are entitled to keep what they make/earn. When we separate people from the products of their labor by coercive means, it's theft. Taxation only works because the government has given itself license to use force against its citizens; if you elect not to pay taxes, the government employs force to punish you/make you comply. It then goes on to spend the money it took from you on things you may not like or might even actively disagree with. Thus, taxation is theft."

I'm oversimplifying, but that's the substance of it. Of course, I've always found it runs into the problematic question of "how the hell else is the government going to pay for things it actually ought to be doing?". It runs into practical implementation problems completely unrelated to how much you may agree/disagree with it.

For my part, I'm pretty willing to chalk taxation up as an unpleasant but ultimately necessary part of living around other people, that is for the most part worth it, even if I have reservations about some of what my taxes end up paying for.



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ConLawEnthusiast and 24 guests