TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

pretzeltime

Gold

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby pretzeltime » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:32 am

R. Jeeves wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:I keep pussing out of OPing but hey today might be the day. Not doing H because it's too high maintenance

Yail

only 4 u bb

R. Jeeves

Gold

Postby R. Jeeves » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:36 am

pretzeltime wrote:
R. Jeeves wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:I keep pussing out of OPing but hey today might be the day. Not doing H because it's too high maintenance

Yail

only 4 u bb

<3

pretzeltime

Gold

Postby pretzeltime » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:40 am

R. Jeeves wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:
R. Jeeves wrote:

Yail

only 4 u bb

<3

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=268289

R. Jeeves

Gold

Postby R. Jeeves » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:41 am

pretzeltime wrote:
R. Jeeves wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:
R. Jeeves wrote:

Yail

only 4 u bb

<3

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=268289

danke

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:49 pm

So, I like, kinda forgot apps are like, now.

Go me

Trying to fill out the range of schools I want to apply to, idk how much I should go for reaches.

alpha kenny body

Gold

Postby alpha kenny body » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:00 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:So, I like, kinda forgot apps are like, now.

Go me

Trying to fill out the range of schools I want to apply to, idk how much I should go for reaches.

I wasted a year this cycle because I was waitlisted everywhere and didn't apply to any safeties. Apply to safeties.

TexasENG

Silver

Postby TexasENG » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:59 am

I'm trying to write some "Why X" essays for schools, but have no idea where to even start on them. Anyone have any tips?

pretzeltime

Gold

Postby pretzeltime » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:24 am

TexasENG wrote:I'm trying to write some "Why X" essays for schools, but have no idea where to even start on them. Anyone have any tips?

No tips but definitely commiserating. I do the standard lurk/deep dive into their website, look at stuff alumni are doing, etc etc.

I am able to think of a few unique angles for a few but there is one school where I browsed their website and just honestly can't find anything to write about, or can't force myself to put in the effort. I'm like shit maybe I'd better not apply here... and thus the Why X essay effectively screens once in a while!

There are a few places where there are specific profs that align with my legal interests, I've read their books, etc. I might focus a few essays on that. It's sort of a kiss ass move but then again all Why X's must be a bit kiss ass.......

Baby Gaga

Bronze

Postby Baby Gaga » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:36 am

TexasENG wrote:I'm trying to write some "Why X" essays for schools, but have no idea where to even start on them. Anyone have any tips?

I have a very specific area of law that I'm interested in so I talk about how good the school is in that area, and I namedrop any clinics/ student groups even close to it. It's still tough though I'm not done yet

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:21 am

Is there a certain area of law that interests you that a certain school has beyond the usual courses offered in it? What about the area of the school, what do you like about its location? Any clinics that the school has that you are interested in? Maybe even mention some student organizations that you plan on joining if admitted.

That's all I can think of.

sluggla

Bronze

Postby sluggla » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:31 am

Is it appropriate to discuss features of the school outside of the typical academic offerings in a Why X essay? For instance, is there any merit in discussing the professional/relaxed atmosphere or the location of the school?

Please forgive my naiveté and thanks in advance!

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:55 am

sluggla wrote:Is it appropriate to discuss features of the school outside of the typical academic offerings in a Why X essay? For instance, is there any merit in discussing the professional/relaxed atmosphere or the location of the school?

I don't think it will hurt an applicant if they only BRIEFLY mention the location of the school and it's not one of their only reasons for going to a school.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:59 am

sluggla wrote:Is it appropriate to discuss features of the school outside of the typical academic offerings in a Why X essay? For instance, is there any merit in discussing the professional/relaxed atmosphere or the location of the school?

My perspective is to focus on the academic/professional aspects of the school and avoid talking about its proximity to a "bangin' club scene". I kid, I kid. But seriously, adcomms are people too and they like to take pride in their work. If you are recognizing certain aspects of their "pride and joy" school that they've been developing, it'll make them feel good and feel good about you by extension.

Talking about the great surfing you can do down the road from UCLA isn't going to trigger the same reaction.

Edit (more thoughts): on second thought, you could frame a location comment thusly: "My spouse is employed in LA and our professional responsibilities have forced us to live geo-seperated for the last 2 years. Admission to UCLA will allow me to pursue a world-class legal education while bringing our family back together."

This would be a good way of making a location appeal that wouldn't "turn off" anyone. It works for the same reason as above though: it makes the adcomms feel good about themselves. They are bringing a family back together. So, to put a bow on this, put yourself in the adcomm's shoes and if something would make you feel better about an applicant, use that. Cheers.

TexasENG

Silver

Postby TexasENG » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:24 pm

Alright fam. Got off work early, got my terrible beer, ready to knock out some essays.
[+] Spoiler

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:00 pm

TexasENG wrote:Alright fam. Got off work early, got my terrible beer, ready to knock out some essays. [/spoiler]

There you go! That's how to do it. 8)

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:21 pm

fips tedora wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:So, I like, kinda forgot apps are like, now.

Go me

I wasted a year this cycle because I was waitlisted everywhere and didn't apply to any safeties. Apply to safeties.

Dang, that's a unique form of hell dude.

Im applying to safeties, Im just wondering about how many reach schools i should spend time on.

TexasENG

Silver

Postby TexasENG » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:00 pm

FYI For anyone who hasn't checked yet, Vanderbilt's app has been open since 8/23.

TexasENG

Silver

Postby TexasENG » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:18 pm

Last edited by TexasENG on Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:45 pm

TexasENG wrote:In the course of trying to research some schools for my "Why" essays I have come to the conclusion that certain law schools have absolutely fucking horrible websites. FFS guys your students are paying 60k each per year, hire a web developer...

MICHIGAN

pretzeltime

Gold

Postby pretzeltime » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:54 pm

Last edited by pretzeltime on Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:59 pm

proteinshake wrote:
TexasENG wrote:In the course of trying to research some schools for my "Why" essays I have come to the conclusion that certain law schools have absolutely fucking horrible websites. FFS guys your students are paying 60k each per year, hire a web developer...

MICHIGAN

Michigan's website looks like a blog and so unprofessional, lmao.

KMart

Gold

Postby KMart » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:09 pm

TheMikey wrote:
proteinshake wrote:

MICHIGAN

You'll come to love their status checker and adcomms, however

zeglo

Silver

Postby zeglo » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:30 pm

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TexasENG

Silver

Postby TexasENG » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:31 pm

KMart wrote:
TheMikey wrote:
proteinshake wrote:

MICHIGAN

TBH I wasn't even talking about Michigan. Like it isn't nearly the worst I've seen.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:49 pm

zeglo wrote:
KMart wrote:
TheMikey wrote:
proteinshake wrote:

MICHIGAN

Complaining about a school's website makes you look so arrogant. Do you even know how to make websites? Besides, Michigan has the most castle-looking campus, so they kinda win on the non-Internet part.

try going on their website on a mobile device. I can't even read anything.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?