TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

Dodocogon

Silver

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (flexin pole)

Postby Dodocogon » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:28 am

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
RParadela wrote:One of my good friends tells everyone that we talk to that I'm going to UVA law when he gets drunk lol. Talking to a random dude on the bar while getting drinks? "This kid over here is going to UVA law"

"Haaaaaaaaaaave you met RParadela??"

"RParadela, law student"

Gotta get your business cards made up for the first day of class, guys.

pretzeltime

Gold

Postby pretzeltime » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:28 am

Baby Gaga wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:tbh i'm not a fan of LS flexing but on the other hand, i feel like you should be able to flex as much about going to a great law school as all of the assholes who flex about their engagement, marriage, babies, anniversaries.

i also happen to think that i should be entitled to a gift registry for my accomplishments

I really should set up a gift registry and use it for textbooks. Amazon does registries right?

that would be kinda nice actually.

gosh, capitalism is so sad

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:30 am

ashrice13 wrote:
RParadela wrote:One of my good friends tells everyone that we talk to that I'm going to UVA law when he gets drunk lol. Talking to a random dude on the bar while getting drinks? "This kid over here is going to UVA law"

I hate this. I went to a family part with my SO recently and shortly after we walked in he was like "So...are you going to tell everyone your good news?" and everyone stared at me...it was super awkward. I said where I was going and he followed me up with "she got xxx scholarship too!!" I was so embarrassed. I couldn't be mad because it was from a good place but just...come on.

Idk about you guys but I would revel in that. It's not bragging and everyone's genuinely excited for you! Also it's in person with family rather than everyone you know from middle school online :)

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:30 am

thinking I might need to "subtle announcement" just to add it to my tinder prof.

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:32 am

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:

This is a real problem. When people ask me what my plans are (since I am currently unemployed) I tell them I am going to law school after my wedding. Then they inevitably ask where. It is hard not to sound pretentious when you are naming a few top school options you are deciding between. :lol:

It was always super awkward when I still had a bunch outstanding and they would ask where I had applied. I didn't even say the top ones I knew would be a WL.

Now I can just matter-of-factly say Duke and let them make whatever assumptions they want

I did this...everytime people asked where I applied I left out HLS because I knew it was a crazy long shot and I didn't want to make it sound that that was remotely on par with my actual abilities.

Of course...again, if I was with my SO he would almost always go "and you applied to HLS" and I'd have to rush to say "yeah, but that doesn't count" and then quickly change the subject before the person had time to ask any questions about it.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:32 am

someone needs to make an extravagant post when they post their school decision in the Destinations thread

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:34 am

Keilz wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:

I hate this. I went to a family part with my SO recently and shortly after we walked in he was like "So...are you going to tell everyone your good news?" and everyone stared at me...it was super awkward. I said where I was going and he followed me up with "she got xxx scholarship too!!" I was so embarrassed. I couldn't be mad because it was from a good place but just...come on.

Idk about you guys but I would revel in that. It's not bragging and everyone's genuinely excited for you! Also it's in person with family rather than everyone you know from middle school online :)

It's definitely sweet...just being on the spot like that AND discussing money both make me a little uncomfortable.

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:34 am

pretzeltime wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:tbh i'm not a fan of LS flexing but on the other hand, i feel like you should be able to flex as much about going to a great law school as all of the assholes who flex about their engagement, marriage, babies, anniversaries.

i also happen to think that i should be entitled to a gift registry for my accomplishments

Register at office depot

no!!!!!! I want an ice cream maker and a one thousand dollar vaccuum, k thanks!!!!!!!!!

My wedding registry is massive. The vacuum was on of the most important things on there, because ours right now sucks and my dog sheds like crazy :lol:

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:35 am

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:

my roommates did this with my LSAT score. went to hofbrauhaus and was dancing on a table and one of them took a snapchat and captioned it my lsat score. thanks friends.

This is amazing :lol:

Hennessy

Gold

Postby Hennessy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:36 am

Keilz wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:

when i got a full scholarship to my first acceptance (also my UG school) I texted my mom

She called me that evening, I picked up thinking she was just excited to talk about it, I said "Hello?" and then heard "1...2...3...congratulations!!!" from like 20 voices, she had invited over all my siblings and my grandfolks and the neighbors to have dinner.

i wasn't even there, i live six states away. same thing as with my dad and that e-mail, my mom wasn't even really involved in the LS application process. she was just excited and wanted to celebrate.

i miss the south.
Last edited by Hennessy on Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:37 am

pretzeltime wrote:
Baby Gaga wrote:

I really should set up a gift registry and use it for textbooks. Amazon does registries right?

that would be kinda nice actually.

gosh, capitalism is so sad

Ugh. 180

Edit: also, anyone started thinking about how they're gonna handle birthday's, christmas, etc going forward? Is it wierd/tacky if I tell everyone not to buy me stuff and instead say I need gift cards for places where I can buy books or professional clothes? I'll be poor and these are the things I'll actually need. Not sure if I'm the only odd one who thinks about this.
Last edited by ashrice13 on Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:37 am

ashrice13 wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:

This is a real problem. When people ask me what my plans are (since I am currently unemployed) I tell them I am going to law school after my wedding. Then they inevitably ask where. It is hard not to sound pretentious when you are naming a few top school options you are deciding between. :lol:

It was always super awkward when I still had a bunch outstanding and they would ask where I had applied. I didn't even say the top ones I knew would be a WL.

Now I can just matter-of-factly say Duke and let them make whatever assumptions they want

I did this...everytime people asked where I applied I left out HLS because I knew it was a crazy long shot and I didn't want to make it sound that that was remotely on par with my actual abilities.

Of course...again, if I was with my SO he would almost always go "and you applied to HLS" and I'd have to rush to say "yeah, but that doesn't count" and then quickly change the subject before the person had time to ask any questions about it.

haha yeah my husband would do this too. I would usually just say "I applied to a lot of places but my top choices are X, Y, and Z" to keep it short. :P it was always awkward if someone (who knows nothing about LS) would then ask, "so are those really good schools?" ....like, yes, they are, but I wasn't going to go out of my way to brag about it...

tbh, I've had more people who were impressed by my acceptance to GULC than anywhere else :lol:

Dodocogon

Silver

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby Dodocogon » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:41 am

proteinshake wrote:however I do approve of bragging via snapchat story

Best policy. You can be as pretentious as you want as

a) it's a more curated group
b) gonna be gone in 24 hours so why not

twiix

Silver

Postby twiix » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:42 am

jjcorvino wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:

Register at office depot

no!!!!!! I want an ice cream maker and a one thousand dollar vaccuum, k thanks!!!!!!!!!

My wedding registry is massive. The vacuum was on of the most important things on there, because ours right now sucks and my dog sheds like crazy :lol:

wait for it....

isn't that the point of a vacuum?

Now, if it blows. Then you have a real problem. and a real mess.
Last edited by twiix on Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:42 am

ashrice13 wrote:
Anon.y.mousse. wrote:

my roommates did this with my LSAT score. went to hofbrauhaus and was dancing on a table and one of them took a snapchat and captioned it my lsat score. thanks friends.

This is amazing :lol:

i thought it was really funny when they filled me in on what was going on and was too intoxicated to care at the time but was embarrassed thinking about it later because not something I would ever broadcast IRL. whatevs at least it was like a 5 second thing.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:43 am

Keilz wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:

The money part would make me feel uncomfortable, but otherwise I do enjoy discussing my plans with family. Of course my parents know all my scholarships, but in a public announcement I would not want to talk scholarship.

Sometimes my dad talks about me having a scholarship but at least isn't quoting $, and considering they are helping me pay for this I will never hold it against them to be happy to have costs defrayed
Last edited by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash on Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:44 am

I had a friend who would post pics of himself studying for the LSAT in a Harvard t-shirt and constantly saying "IM GOING TO HARVARD THIS IS WHY I DO IT" (before even taking the LSAT). he then scored a 15x twice and decided not to go to LS.

Kopetz

Bronze

Postby Kopetz » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:45 am

paging dr. freud:

[+] Spoiler

thatlawlkid

Gold

Postby thatlawlkid » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:45 am

I was considering a National Signing Day-esq commit video via FB live. Have the hats for my top schools laid out on a table, "I, , Defensive Tackle/JD candidate, will be taking my talents to "insert law school" in the Fall of 2017"

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:45 am

TWiiX wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:

Register at office depot

wait for it....

isn't that the point of a vacuum?

Now, if it blows. Then you have a real problem. and a real mess.

booooo

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:48 am

Keilz wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:

The money part would make me feel uncomfortable, but otherwise I do enjoy discussing my plans with family. Of course my parent know all my scholarships, but in a public announcement I would not want to talk scholarship.

Sometimes my dad talks about me having a scholarship but at least isn't quoting $, and considering they are helping me pay for this I will never hold it against them to be happy to have costs defrayed

re: talking about it with family - one of my favorite parts of this last holiday season was showing my grandpa my first two acceptance letters and him starting to cry because he was so happy for me/proud. that type of stuff is really fun to share with people who love you most.

forum_user

Silver

Postby forum_user » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:48 am

Kopetz wrote:paging dr. freud:

[+] Spoiler

tbh the best thing about this is your MS paint handwriting :lol:

Stylnator

Silver

Postby Stylnator » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:50 am

Keilz wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:

The money part would make me feel uncomfortable, but otherwise I do enjoy discussing my plans with family. Of course my parent know all my scholarships, but in a public announcement I would not want to talk scholarship.

My parents have been trying to keep me going to ls a secret because they're pretty ashamed of where I'm going/upset I'm not going somewhere more prestigious. For those whose loved ones are bragging proudly, embrace it!!

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:51 am

thatlawlkid wrote:I was considering a National Signing Day-esq commit video via FB live. Have the hats for my top schools laid out on a table, "I, , Defensive Tackle/JD candidate, will be taking my talents to "insert law school" in the Fall of 2017"

Everyone's dream lol

RParadela

Silver

Postby RParadela » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:51 am

Has anyone subtly mentioned where they are going to law school with someone they are trying to pick someone up at the bar or elsewhere?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?