TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

dasq5511

Bronze

Re: Real Housewives of TLS - c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby dasq5511 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:53 pm

proteinshake wrote:
dasq5511 wrote:I was a huge fan of the student body at Duke and definitely prefer the school to NU, but the whole living in NC thing is really holding me back. UChi kids also live up to their reputation of awkwardness.

do you have to live in a big city or is it something else? for me the lower COL makes it worth not being in a big city, but I also like college towns (though Durham really isn't one, but close enough). that being said, I definitely want to live in a big city after law school.

I lived in a college town the last few years and really hated it honestly, its not a complete dealbreaker but I'd rather avoid somewhere that's not a major city.

curry1

Silver

Postby curry1 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:54 pm

dasq5511 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
dasq5511 wrote:I was a huge fan of the student body at Duke and definitely prefer the school to NU, but the whole living in NC thing is really holding me back. UChi kids also live up to their reputation of awkwardness.

do you have to live in a big city or is it something else? for me the lower COL makes it worth not being in a big city, but I also like college towns (though Durham really isn't one, but close enough). that being said, I definitely want to live in a big city after law school.

I lived in a college town the last few years and really hated it honestly, its not a complete dealbreaker but I'd rather avoid somewhere that's not a major city.

This was one of my favorite parts of the weekend. I think I might actually fit in for once.

dasq5511

Bronze

Postby dasq5511 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:21 pm

curry1 wrote:
dasq5511 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:

This was one of my favorite parts of the weekend. I think I might actually fit in for once.

HAHA idk it kinda worried me to be honest but I spoke to a student I'm friends with and she said it's 80% awkward kids, 20% normal/chill

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:26 pm

I lived in a college town for UG and a big city for the last two years.

I love life in a big city but it is so not conducive to studying. I hate having to rely on public transport if I need to study all night or something, there's so much noise and distraction, and it's so expensive.

For the next three years where law school is #1 i would prefer to be in a college town.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:36 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:I lived in a college town for UG and a big city for the last two years.

I love life in a big city but it is so not conducive to studying. I hate having to rely on public transport if I need to study all night or something, there's so much noise and distraction, and it's so expensive.

For the next three years where law school is #1 i would prefer to be in a college town.

and traffic is near nonexistent.

Stephylynette

Bronze

Postby Stephylynette » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:44 pm

proteinshake wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:I lived in a college town for UG and a big city for the last two years.

This!!!! It was so easy to get everywhere in Durham. Even downtown was a breeze. Loved it.

dasq5511

Bronze

Postby dasq5511 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:01 pm

Stephylynette wrote:
proteinshake wrote:

This!!!! It was so easy to get everywhere in Durham. Even downtown was a breeze. Loved it.

Yeah this is fair too, though Hyde Park is pretty walkable and also is pretty easy to keep a car if you're willing to spend the money. I'd love to keep my car but I don't think I can justify the expense.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:31 pm

I feel like Michigan is getting a lot of interest this year. It seems super trendy.

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:55 pm

Rigo wrote:I feel like Michigan is getting a lot of interest this year. It seems super trendy.

I think they upped their scholarship game

curry1

Silver

Postby curry1 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:29 pm

dasq5511 wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:
proteinshake wrote:

Yeah this is fair too, though Hyde Park is pretty walkable and also is pretty easy to keep a car if you're willing to spend the money. I'd love to keep my car but I don't think I can justify the expense.

Given the high monthly parking fees in Hyde Park (at least at the popular student housing) + insurance +gas/maintenance costs, it seems that it would actually be more cost effective to just uber places even if you already owned a car.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:18 pm

dasq5511 wrote:
curry1 wrote:
dasq5511 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:

HAHA idk it kinda worried me to be honest but I spoke to a student I'm friends with and she said it's 80% awkward kids, 20% normal/chill

Damn, I'll pray for your social life fam.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:18 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
dasq5511 wrote:
curry1 wrote:
dasq5511 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:

Damn, I'll pray for your social life fam.

:lol:

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:51 pm

I actually liked the people at UChicago even though I wasn't expecting to. I also didn't expect to like the campus so much. Now I'm wondering if it might actually be worth the extra cost

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:52 pm

chargers21 wrote:I actually liked the people at UChicago even though I wasn't expecting to. I also didn't expect to like the campus so much. Now I'm wondering if it might actually be worth the extra cost

How is it on the inside. I know a lot of people don't like the look of the outside of the building?

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:06 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
chargers21 wrote:I actually liked the people at UChicago even though I wasn't expecting to. I also didn't expect to like the campus so much. Now I'm wondering if it might actually be worth the extra cost

How is it on the inside. I know a lot of people don't like the look of the outside of the building?

I liked the inside. Basically the same as most top schools. The outside is meh like many law schools that look way newer than the rest of the campuses they are on

dasq5511

Bronze

Postby dasq5511 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:12 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:

I thought the facilities were on the nicer end of the schools I've seen. NU does have an Xbox and ping pong table in the student lounge in the basement though, and there were a ton of people drinking and chilling there before the play on Friday.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:55 pm

chargers21 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:

I liked the inside. Basically the same as most top schools. The outside is meh like many law schools that look way newer than the rest of the campuses they are on

Fashow. See you this week at the USC event lol.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:13 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:

Fashow. See you this week at the USC event lol.

It's gonna be lit

Stylnator

Silver

Postby Stylnator » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:44 am

If you had a sizable wedding fund would you, barring the option of investing it elsewhere, spend it on law school?

asking for a friend

chandhi

Gold

Postby chandhi » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:40 am

Stylnator wrote:If you had a sizable wedding fund would you, barring the option of investing it elsewhere, spend it on law school?

asking for a friend

And thus begins the next round of TLS drama lol

But hell yes I would spend a sizable wedding fund on law school if it was necessary to avoid loans.

Weddings (not to be confused with marriage) are temporary, JD is forever.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:46 am

chandhi wrote:
Stylnator wrote:If you had a sizable wedding fund would you, barring the option of investing it elsewhere, spend it on law school?

asking for a friend

But hell yes I would spend a sizable wedding fund on law school if it was necessary to avoid loans.

TCR
I wish I had one of these mythical savings accounts with money earmarked for something relatively unnecessary to put towards law school. Tell your "friend" that I say spend it now on LS, start saving again once the big checks start rolling in

Hennessy

Gold

Postby Hennessy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:57 am

Just got 105k from Emory. My tiny blackened heart is disintegrating.

Forget what I said about TTT acceptances, I am now in at a top 30 school with a two-thirds scholarship!

This is some shit i would never have expected, going into the application cycle. I feel like I've been given a second chance at academia.

Edit: I still might attend my local TTT on full scholly.
Last edited by Hennessy on Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:12 am

HennessyVSOP wrote:.

Congrats either way!! That's awesome.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:12 am

Congrats Henny!

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:13 am

chargers21 wrote:
chandhi wrote:

asking for a friend

TCR
I wish I had one of these mythical savings accounts with money earmarked for something relatively unnecessary to put towards law school. Tell your "friend" that I say spend it now on LS, start saving again once the big checks start rolling in

Just stopping by to say I agree with all of the above.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?