TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

pretzeltime

Gold

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby pretzeltime » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:34 pm

So this has probably been debated/explained 9000 times on TLS, let's make it 9001....

Do I include all of my retail jobs and inconsequential internships on my apps resume? Or can I leave them off?

Do my retail jobs show my ~work ethic~

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:07 pm

From viewtopic.php?f=43&t=197451

KarenButtenbaum wrote:It's hard for me to say what should stay and what should go on a resume without actually seeing what's on it. It is something that we help our clients with all the time, but it is pretty individualized. For example, a job at a retail shop in the summer may be worthwhile to keep on your resume if you don't have much other work experience, but it might be something that doesn't add much relative to the other work that you've had...

Cheers,
KB

pretzeltime

Gold

Postby pretzeltime » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:31 pm

ashrice13 wrote:From viewtopic.php?f=43&t=197451

KarenButtenbaum wrote:It's hard for me to say what should stay and what should go on a resume without actually seeing what's on it. It is something that we help our clients with all the time, but it is pretty individualized. For example, a job at a retail shop in the summer may be worthwhile to keep on your resume if you don't have much other work experience, but it might be something that doesn't add much relative to the other work that you've had...

Cheers,
KB

thx bb!

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:39 pm

Ok so I seriously need to buckle down with my PS. Next week (long weekend ahead of me) I will perform the infamous Meer PS method and share with you all my ending results of how it went. I think I want to start brainstorming again some ideas before I pick one and do this method and start writing. We will see y'all.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:16 pm

TheMikey wrote:Ok so I seriously need to buckle down with my PS. Next week (long weekend ahead of me) I will perform the infamous Meer PS method and share with you all my ending results of how it went. I think I want to start brainstorming again some ideas before I pick one and do this method and start writing. We will see y'all.

Hey man...I'm sure you've already seen this, but just in case, MS9 posted up this example of a super-solid PS. Hope it helps.

==error==/homerun-law-school-personal-statement/

ayylmao

Silver

Postby ayylmao » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:18 pm

TheMikey wrote:Ok so I seriously need to buckle down with my PS. Next week (long weekend ahead of me) I will perform the infamous Meer PS method and share with you all my ending results of how it went. I think I want to start brainstorming again some ideas before I pick one and do this method and start writing. We will see y'all.

LOL what's the meer method.

Also, one nice thing about applying this cycle is that I get to stress with all my June homies in these threads again. :D

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:27 pm

ayylmao wrote:

Also, one nice thing about applying this cycle is that I get to stress with all my June homies in these threads again. :D

Step 1: get tipsy
Step 2: brainstorm ideas
Step 3: continue drinking
Step 4: write up a draft of your PS while drinking
Step 5: end with a bomb ass PS
Step 6: continue drinking
Step 7: refer back to step 3 and 6

ayylmao

Silver

Postby ayylmao » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:33 pm

TheMikey wrote:
ayylmao wrote:

LMFAO this makes the second part of my previous post all the more true.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:36 pm

ayylmao wrote:
TheMikey wrote:
ayylmao wrote:

LMFAO this makes the second part of my previous post all the more true.

Jeeves performed this amazing method and said he was successful with doing well on his PS. Meer is a good yet bad influence on poor Jeeves.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:41 pm

ayylmao wrote:

What's up dude...good to see you around these parts. 8)

I see Mikey's taken care of your boozy-essayist training. As I see it, if it worked for Hunter S. Thompson, Jack Kerouac, William S. Burroughs, and Truman Capote who the fuck am I to mess with a winning combination.

The key is to blunt your frontal lobe's meddling with your creativity. Just let that primal limbic system do the writing for you.

Basically science... :lol:

BlackCanary

Bronze

Postby BlackCanary » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:34 am

Checking in!

Just finished reworking my resume ... now for that PS.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:59 am

got invited to join a leadership honors society at my undergrad. not sure if i want to join it or not.. there is a one-time fee and an orientation next month. it has its benefits and i have the potential of getting grad scholarships, networking, etc.

what do y'all think?

rationalhound

New

Postby rationalhound » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:51 pm

TheMikey wrote:got invited to join a leadership honors society at my undergrad. not sure if i want to join it or not.. there is a one-time fee and an orientation next month. it has its benefits and i have the potential of getting grad scholarships, networking, etc.

what do y'all think?

Might as well, if you've got the time to go to a few meetings and maybe a weekend service event. Well worth it for another "I'm smart" line on your resume.

R. Jeeves

Gold

Postby R. Jeeves » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:23 pm

Last edited by R. Jeeves on Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:47 pm

rationalhound wrote:Might as well, if you've got the time to go to a few meetings and maybe a weekend service event. Well worth it for another "I'm smart" line on your resume.

That's what I was thinking. I barely have crap on my resume, and I figured even though it won't matter for admissions, it would still be nice to have something like this on my resume.

R. Jeeves wrote:Aren't they all kinda useless/scams? Except for like phi beta kappa and phi kappa phi. Tau beta pi for engineers. Maybe 1 or 2 others idk

Probably, haha. I think I might just do it because of the fact that it will just add something extra to my poor looking resume that I am striving to make more focused on the academics side since I don't really have WE. Also, apparently it's rare to get this invite at my school since there are only slightly more than 100 students are my school who have been invited to it, and i go to a VERY large city college. so idunno what to do

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:52 pm

dont think i'll be joining that shit. did some research on it and it's just a little ehh.. it's a legit society or whatever, and my school has a chapter, but they require a bunch of shit from you and i'm too lazy so fuck that :)

alpha kenny body

Gold

Postby alpha kenny body » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:55 pm

I was waitlisted at 12 schools this cycle, and didn't hear a single response from one of them. So, needless to say, I'm checking in.
FWIW, I applied in January, and didn't interview anywhere. This time, I'll be applying in a couple of weeks and interviewing at all of them. I'm considering a retake as well.

RictusErectus

Bronze

Postby RictusErectus » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:49 pm

Hello! I've been prowling these forums for a while but have finally registered under this handle. I took the June LSAT and will be applying to the T14 this cycle.

zeglo

Silver

Postby zeglo » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:14 pm

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UltimateSplitter

Bronze

Postby UltimateSplitter » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:49 pm

It's great to see all of the June LSAT buddies again. I've been pounding away at my PS's for the past few months and will agree that starting the first draft buzzed (drunk is even better) is the best way. Did anyone submit to WUSTL early? I noticed an email saying they'd roll it over if you submitted a few weeks ago. I didn't feel good enough about my why washu statement then to give it a go.

Cheers to Class of 2020 apps!

patttt

Silver

Postby patttt » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:46 am

Soo why are there so few c/o 2020 applicant threads? Bystander effect?

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:37 am

patttt wrote:Soo why are there so few c/o 2020 applicant threads? Bystander effect?

It seems like people are waiting until something happens to make one. I would expect more school threads to open when Fee Waivers go out for each school

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:59 am

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
patttt wrote:Soo why are there so few c/o 2020 applicant threads? Bystander effect?

It seems like people are waiting until something happens to make one. I would expect more school threads to open when Fee Waivers go out for each school

There's still tons of schools that need OP's to step up.

Once apps open up they will most likely be made and will be popping 8)

R. Jeeves

Gold

Postby R. Jeeves » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:20 pm

are applicants/lsat takers down this cycle? june lsat thread had relatively few posts compared to previous waiters threads i think. this thread is also not very active compared to other applicants threads.

R. Jeeves

Gold

Postby R. Jeeves » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:23 pm

where my hiphop heads at? help me build my summer playlist before the season's gone.

also, just got tickets to see kanyeezy on labor day weekend. pretty excited for that.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?