TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

S.Picquery

Silver

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby S.Picquery » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:35 am

jjcorvino wrote:
Keilz wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:While we're discussing Magic school admissions, if you're not an auto admit than how is that process determined? Harry got GMU level spammed to attend and he didn't take a test or even do anything except trap his cousin in a zoo exhibit. Do children have to exhibit some magical aptitude unwittingly? Seeing as how frowned upon that is the second they enroll you would think they would have a better process.

Harry is the famous admit, he wasn't particularly good at anything related to magic.

Hogwarts=Harvard?

You are usually an auto-admit based on location with certain exceptions made for magical children whose folks went elsewhere, or who know the Headmasters (see: the Malfoys in GoF -- although you could argue that it's because Lucius preferred the Ethos of Durmstrang). Yes, you have to display unwitting magical aptitude (see: Neville bouncing out a fourth floor window when his uncle dropped him). Most people do prefer their "home" school, but there are cases of exchange students (Bill Weasley was going to do one at Castelobruxo, but then the Weasleys didn't have the money, so Bill's pen pal at the school sent him a hexed hat that made his ears shrivelup).

Harry was good at magic, just look at his Defense Against the Dark Arts results. Also when he took the OWLs, his scores were pretty good if not Hermione-levels of great in all but History of Magic, which he basically failed. But he also had weird Voldy-related visions during that exam so *shrug*

Hogwarts is more like UChicago imo. A little more internal power struggle than a school with no grading system would likely incur lol

AAAAND now I'm done... for now.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:45 am

MikeSpivey wrote:Hi everyone,

I've been swamped with life stuff and work stuff and thus backed up some. I'll try to be more present here starting late next week. I did want to let everyone know that based on what I am seeing with the data and hearing in conversations with colleagues of mine, I really think this is going to be a wild waitlist summer with substantial movement.

Mike

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:46 am

Rigo wrote:

I've been swamped with life stuff and work stuff and thus backed up some. I'll try to be more present here starting late next week. I did want to let everyone know that based on what I am seeing with the data and hearing in conversations with colleagues of mine, I really think this is going to be a wild waitlist summer with substantial movement.

Mike

LORDT. LORDTTTTTTT!!!!

TexasENG

Silver

Postby TexasENG » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:53 am

Rigo wrote:

Mike

I guess this is what happens when no one knows what the hell is going on with LSAT scores lol.

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:56 am

TexasENG wrote:
Rigo wrote:

Mike

I guess this is what happens when no one knows what the hell is going on with LSAT scores lol.

I hope Harvard is included in that waitlist craziness.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:57 am

jjcorvino wrote:
TexasENG wrote:
Rigo wrote:

Mike

I hope Harvard is included in that waitlist craziness.

Yeah it's the only WL Im staying on so crossing fingers.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:58 am

It's fun to fantasize
OooOoOoOoo OOooooOoOoo
I'm falling
So I'm taking my time on my waitlist riddddeeeee

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:07 am

I hope all of y'all get off the H waitlist so that NYU will have no choice but to take poor, lil ole me.

~ let the rain fall down
and wake my dreams
let it wash away
the little sanity I have left ~

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:13 am

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:~ let the rain fall down
and wake my dreams
let it wash away
the little sanity I have left ~

:wink:

Hennessy

Gold

Postby Hennessy » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:42 am

can someone explain to us TTTrashfire matriculants why this is such a weird cycle for t14 waitlists? what's going on with H?

theothercat

Bronze

Postby theothercat » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:47 am

Withdrawing from my state school undergrad's law school rn and it hurts my heart. :(

thatblondegirl

Bronze

Postby thatblondegirl » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:14 pm

Leliana wrote:S.Picquery, your HP knowledge is commendable. This discussion is making my morning :D

+1. Spent my first half hour at work catching up on the HP discussions while sipping my coffee. Best work morning ever!

TexasENG

Silver

Postby TexasENG » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:21 pm

theothercat wrote:Withdrawing from my state school undergrad's law school rn and it hurts my heart. :(

Felt bad about withdrawing from WUSTL since they were my first scholarship.

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:23 pm

TexasENG wrote:
theothercat wrote:Withdrawing from my state school undergrad's law school rn and it hurts my heart. :(

Same. They were so nice and generous :/

TexasENG

Silver

Postby TexasENG » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:28 pm

HennessyVSOP wrote:can someone explain to us TTTrashfire matriculants why this is such a weird cycle for t14 waitlists? what's going on with H?

From what I gather, the cycle has been pretty slow overall. A lot of this has been due to dramatic decreases in the top bands of the LSAT. 171 + is down huge percentage points, and schools were waiting in the cycle to see if it stabilized.

This has potentially played out in some of the T14 being more cautious about admitting people that they think HSY / CCN will have to reach to in order to maintain their medians. As a result there has been speculation that people that would normally have been auto admits to some lower T14 are getting waitlisted while schools wait to see what HSY and others do.

Edit: This is highly speculative based off what I've seen / read / anecdotes from on here.

theothercat

Bronze

Postby theothercat » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:30 pm

Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
TexasENG wrote:

Same! I also had a very pleasant interview with them. It started my cycle off on a great note. I made sure to thank them for that.

Hennessy

Gold

Postby Hennessy » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:31 pm

TexasENG wrote:
HennessyVSOP wrote:can someone explain to us TTTrashfire matriculants why this is such a weird cycle for t14 waitlists? what's going on with H?

From what I gather, the cycle has been pretty slow overall. A lot of this has been due to dramatic decreases in the top bands of the LSAT. 171 + is down huge percentage points, and schools were waiting in the cycle to see if it stabilized.

This has potentially played out in some of the T14 being more cautious about admitting people that they think HSY / CCN will have to reach to in order to maintain their medians. As a result there has been speculation that people that would normally have been auto admits to some lower T14 are getting waitlisted while schools wait to see what HSY and others do.

Edit: This is highly speculative based off what I've seen / read / anecdotes from on here.

oh damn that's rough.

Haven't LSAT medians been consistently dropping for years?

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:32 pm

theothercat wrote:
TexasENG wrote:

Same! I also had a very pleasant interview with them. It started my cycle off on a great note. I made sure to thank them for that.

same but Alabama. What an incredible admissions office. I loved all 3 of the people I had semi-substantial conversations with.

Stylnator

Silver

Postby Stylnator » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:38 pm

guybourdin wrote:
theothercat wrote:
TexasENG wrote:

same but Alabama. What an incredible admissions office. I loved all 3 of the people I had semi-substantial conversations with.

all of these sound like a sad breakup. 'it's not you it's me'

TexasENG

Silver

Postby TexasENG » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:39 pm

HennessyVSOP wrote:
TexasENG wrote:

oh damn that's rough.

Haven't LSAT medians been consistently dropping for years?

Yeah, but the top schools been trying to keep them up as much as possible. I think its part of the reason you see such drops in the 25ths. Schools gaming as much as possible by filling with splitters / reverse splitters and letting the 25th drop and then competing to buy the handful of people over both 75th.

I find the whole process / industry pretty interesting, but not sure how helpful it actually is for the field...

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:42 pm

Stylnator wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
theothercat wrote:
TexasENG wrote:

all of these sound like a sad breakup. 'it's not you it's me'

I felt bad about sending in my letter to Chapman because they winded and dined me for three days. Then I thought who cares they do this for all their top students lol. They did seriously try to recruit me though. They had certain Ambassadors sit next to me and talk with me. Then the Dean tried to talk to me for 40 minutes about coming here and how it was the best for me.

Lawschool305

Bronze

Postby Lawschool305 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:47 pm

theothercat wrote:
TexasENG wrote:

Out of every school I applied to I feel WUSTL had the best admissions group. They were much more engaging and friendly than the T-14s in my opinion. It definitely was tough to withdraw. I wish other schools would learn from them (in my opinion)

Hennessy

Gold

Postby Hennessy » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:56 pm

my undergrads law school gave me a full-ride, and will probably be where I attend - however, if I get off this WL and hear back about $ from another school, I will be in the same situation. it'll be bittersweet to say no to the school/campus i spent the final years of adolescence at.

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:56 pm

Lawschool305 wrote:
theothercat wrote:
TexasENG wrote:

Out of every school I applied to I feel WUSTL had the best admissions group. They were much more engaging and friendly than the T-14s in my opinion. It definitely was tough to withdraw. I wish other schools would learn from them (in my opinion)

WUSTL had the best admissions people I have spoken to yet. Incredibly friendly. A quarter of my interview was just chatting about the city and blues vs Blackhawks

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:57 pm

HennessyVSOP wrote:

my undergrads law school gave me a full-ride, and will probably be where I attend - however, if I get off this WL and hear back about $ from another school, I will be in the same situation. it'll be bittersweet to say no to the school/campus i spent the final years of adolescence at.

I definitely didn't apply to my UG law school. I don't even think university of Dayton is ranked?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?