TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

us3rnam3

Bronze

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby us3rnam3 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:41 pm

tncats wrote:
charles117 wrote:what does everyone think of these barbiri law school prep courses that barbiri keeps emailing me about? is it worth it or just a waste of money?

Waste of money. Just an opportunistic way to profit from people's law school anxieties.

I assume its a waste of money because their marketing is so spammy.

thatlawlkid

Gold

Postby thatlawlkid » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:47 pm

In my experience, wealth offers a huge leg up in regards to success.
Personally, I was raised by a single mother who had never graduated high school. Most of her family were in a similar boat, giving me pretty much no one who could offer me even the slightest realistic suggestions about college/law school/ life in general. In addition to that, the cushion wealth can offer as an undergraduate, as many of my peers had no other worries but swiping a credit card that they didnt pay the bill for while I was working 2 different jobs during the semester to pay rent. I honestly can't imagine what I could've done with the free time that not working 30+ hours a week could offer me. While I'm not making an excuse, as my GPA is what it is, I would be in a much better position if i was capable of focusing more on my studies instead of making sure I had a place to sleep.

I self studied to a low-17x, taking the LSAT 4 times (and trust me I felt the pain of paying for it each time my scores weren't high enough for my goals), and then got to send out applications, something that especially as a splitter rang up a good price tag. Once responses come back, while someone from a wealthy family could throw around multiple seat deposits and not worry about footing the bill, while I'm planning and negotiating with schools just to make sure I can comfortably submit a single deposit.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but damn coming from money must at least take some of the weight off. Regardless, I'm thankful that I found TLS early like I did instead of going to Widener like every idiot boomer in my area suggests.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:09 pm

thatlawlkid wrote:In my experience, wealth offers a huge leg up in regards to success.
Personally, I was raised by a single mother who had never graduated high school. Most of her family were in a similar boat, giving me pretty much no one who could offer me even the slightest realistic suggestions about college/law school/ life in general. In addition to that, the cushion wealth can offer as an undergraduate, as many of my peers had no other worries but swiping a credit card that they didnt pay the bill for while I was working 2 different jobs during the semester to pay rent. I honestly can't imagine what I could've done with the free time that not working 30+ hours a week could offer me. While I'm not making an excuse, as my GPA is what it is, I would be in a much better position if i was capable of focusing more on my studies instead of making sure I had a place to sleep.

I self studied to a low-17x, taking the LSAT 4 times (and trust me I felt the pain of paying for it each time my scores weren't high enough for my goals), and then got to send out applications, something that especially as a splitter rang up a good price tag. Once responses come back, while someone from a wealthy family could throw around multiple seat deposits and not worry about footing the bill, while I'm planning and negotiating with schools just to make sure I can comfortably submit a single deposit.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but damn coming from money must at least take some of the weight off. Regardless, I'm thankful that I found TLS early like I did instead of going to Widener like every idiot boomer in my area suggests.

I feel this so much.

JC2017

New

Postby JC2017 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:33 pm

Very interesting podcast from Malcolm Gladwell to help give some perspective on the topic of meritocracy, class, and education in America:

http://revisionisthistory.com/episodes/ ... t-remember

potterotter

Bronze

Postby potterotter » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:49 pm

---
Last edited by potterotter on Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:50 pm

potterotter wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
thatlawlkid wrote:In my experience, wealth offers a huge leg up in regards to success.

I feel this so much.

+180

govlife

Bronze

Postby govlife » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:15 pm

Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
potterotter wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:

I feel this so much.

+180

1000x this. Thank you for saying what I wasn't brave enough to.

thatlawlkid

Gold

Postby thatlawlkid » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:23 pm

govlife wrote:
potterotter wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:

I feel this so much.

+180

To be honest i wasn't expecting this many people to agree, hot damn.
Glad to know I'm not alone here, anyone that ever wants to talk or complain, feel free to PM me. This site has offered me so much, and has set me up to live a life that i never would've dreamed of 10 years ago.

It's so hard to explain exactly what we've overcome, or the odds that werre against us to family and friends, which is why i spend so much time here. Try to explain to my mother that I was offered a scholarship to a T10 law school while all she can complain about is the fact that I'll be moving far away, while my older siblings havent even left our county yet has been so frustrating.

Most of my friends are electricians, diesel mechanics, or just working random desk jobs with no real goals or long term plans. It's overwhelming to say the least, and a lot of the time I dont even know how to process any of it. I'm mature enough to say that at the age of 24 I'm scared. But I also cant wait.

Hennessy

Gold

Postby Hennessy » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:31 pm

Like most standardized tests, the LSAT is in no way an class-equalizing factor in admissions.

RParadela

Silver

Postby RParadela » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:37 pm

To offer the other perspective of someone who grew up with money, coming from the family I do is a pretty big advantage over people who come from working class families. My parents paid for whatever LSAT prep I needed, I didn't have to worry about application fees, I have 0 debt from graduation atr UG, and I never had to work because of money issues. But most importantly, even though I have a small scholarship at a T13, I'll graduate law school completely debt free because of my parents. Those are huge advantages that I'm really lucky to have and anyone coming from a similar position as me would be incredibly stupid not to realize.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:43 pm

thatlawlkid wrote:
govlife wrote:
potterotter wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:

I feel this so much.

+180

To be honest i wasn't expecting this many people to agree, hot damn.
Glad to know I'm not alone here, anyone that ever wants to talk or complain, feel free to PM me. This site has offered me so much, and has set me up to live a life that i never would've dreamed of 10 years ago.

It's so hard to explain exactly what we've overcome, or the odds that werre against us to family and friends, which is why i spend so much time here. Try to explain to my mother that I was offered a scholarship to a T10 law school while all she can complain about is the fact that I'll be moving far away, while my older siblings havent even left our county yet has been so frustrating.

Most of my friends are electricians, diesel mechanics, or just working random desk jobs with no real goals or long term plans. It's overwhelming to say the least, and a lot of the time I dont even know how to process any of it. I'm mature enough to say that at the age of 24 I'm scared. But I also cant wait.

BRO! low-key your thoughts echo my thoughts. I'm 24 as well and have the same experience with friends. I'm trying to tell my friends they can do it. They can reach for their dreams. That they can be something bigger and they potential.

Hennessy

Gold

Postby Hennessy » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:16 pm

RParadela wrote:To offer the other perspective of someone who grew up with money, coming from the family I do is a pretty big advantage over people who come from working class families. My parents paid for whatever LSAT prep I needed, I didn't have to worry about application fees, I have 0 debt from graduation atr UG, and I never had to work because of money issues. But most importantly, even though I have a small scholarship at a T13, I'll graduate law school completely debt free because of my parents. Those are huge advantages that I'm really lucky to have and anyone coming from a similar position as me would be incredibly stupid not to realize.

middle-class checking in with third perspective

i paid my way through college and for LSAT prep
i have a modest amount of debt from UG (<$30k)

but i always knew that i could rely on my parents for:
a place to live temporarily
monetary advice
to pay a bill here or there if I was strapped
to instill in me at a young age the importance of logic and critical thinking, etc.

I think that last one is such a valuable experience that many more impoverished folks do not get the benefit of, because of lack of generational academic experience. Being raised in an environment that values not only schooling but academia is a huge leg-up on the LSAT.

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:21 pm

HennessyVSOP wrote:
RParadela wrote:To offer the other perspective of someone who grew up with money, coming from the family I do is a pretty big advantage over people who come from working class families. My parents paid for whatever LSAT prep I needed, I didn't have to worry about application fees, I have 0 debt from graduation atr UG, and I never had to work because of money issues. But most importantly, even though I have a small scholarship at a T13, I'll graduate law school completely debt free because of my parents. Those are huge advantages that I'm really lucky to have and anyone coming from a similar position as me would be incredibly stupid not to realize.

middle-class checking in with third perspective

i paid my way through college and for LSAT prep
i have a modest amount of debt from UG (<$30k)

but i always knew that i could rely on my parents for:
a place to live temporarily
monetary advice
to pay a bill here or there if I was strapped
to instill in me at a young age the importance of logic and critical thinking, etc.

I think that last one is such a valuable experience that many more impoverished folks do not get the benefit of, because of lack of generational academic experience. Being raised in an environment that values not only schooling but academia is a huge leg-up on the LSAT.

I agree with this response, and am somewhat in the same boat.

dasq5511

Bronze

Postby dasq5511 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:28 pm

Is double depositing generally good practice if you haven't had time to fully negotiate all your offers?

Monday

Silver

Postby Monday » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:48 pm

Last edited by Monday on Thu May 11, 2017 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:56 pm

Monday wrote:
dasq5511 wrote:Is double depositing generally good practice if you haven't had time to fully negotiate all your offers?

No, double depositing is never a good practice, regardless of the conditions.

I disagree.

TexasENG

Silver

Postby TexasENG » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:59 pm

Monday wrote:
dasq5511 wrote:Is double depositing generally good practice if you haven't had time to fully negotiate all your offers?

No, double depositing is never a good practice, regardless of the conditions.

I think you should only double deposit if you absolutely have to. Also make sure if you are double depositing that it is within the agreements of whatever schools you are depositing schools. For some schools they will explicitly say that by depositing you are saying you are matriculating / withdrawing from other schools. I have no idea how binding these agreements are but I wouldn't want to push it...

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:01 pm

I'm not saying it's a GOOD practice, but it's not never a good practice.
Friends have double deposited and negotiated successfully because of it.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:04 pm

Idk if my parents could ask me if I'm going to continue working while in school any more than they currently do. Not sure how many times I can say 100% no, I won't be allowed to and wouldn't if I could. I am not giving them anything less than an absolute no every time, but it keeps coming up. Anyone else?

TexasENG

Silver

Postby TexasENG » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:07 pm

Rigo wrote:I'm not saying it's a GOOD practice, but it's not never a good practice.
Friends have double deposited and negotiated successfully because of it.

If you have the money (you will obviously lose your deposit at one of the schools) and think you have a decent position to negotiate and aren't violating either school(s) deposit rules go for it.

TexasENG

Silver

Postby TexasENG » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:09 pm

guybourdin wrote:Idk if my parents could ask me if I'm going to continue working while in school any more than they currently do. Not sure how many times I can say 100% no, I won't be allowed to and wouldn't if I could. I am not giving them anything less than an absolute no every time, but it keeps coming up. Anyone else?

I've been trying to figure out how I can keep working while I'm in school lol. Going away from a salary to debt / loans is terrifying

CPA-->JD

Bronze

Postby CPA-->JD » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:10 pm

guybourdin wrote:Idk if my parents could ask me if I'm going to continue working while in school any more than they currently do. Not sure how many times I can say 100% no, I won't be allowed to and wouldn't if I could. I am not giving them anything less than an absolute no every time, but it keeps coming up. Anyone else?

Lol my grandmother asks me this every time I call her.

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:11 pm

If I get into a NYC school my parents keep asking if I will commute. (Live about an hour away)

100000% no

thatblondegirl

Bronze

Postby thatblondegirl » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:12 pm

I'm being forced into a double deposit situation since the school never responded to my deposit extension request. I'm having to beg my parents for a small loan because I don't actually have to ability to casually eat a few hundred dollars, but I'm stuck. I need to buy myself more time while I wait to hear back about aid from other schools.

I'd say do what you have to do.

TexasENG

Silver

Postby TexasENG » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:13 pm

Keilz wrote:

If I get into a NYC school my parents keep asking if I will commute. (Live about an hour away)

100000% no

Hour long commute would be brutal 1L (plus parents...)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?