TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

Kopetz

Bronze

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Post by Kopetz » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:19 pm

Nightwing wrote:
haley12 wrote:Not sure if there is a better forum for this, but-- has anyone used Spivey consulting and had a good or bad result they would like to share?
On the topic of Spivey consulting, anyone know how much they cost?
I believe it varies depending on the type and extent of services you need. Don't be afraid to get in touch with them to ask. I had a call with one of their consultants, decided not to retain them, and they were totally alright with that - no hard sell or anything.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:27 pm

Nightwing wrote:
haley12 wrote:Not sure if there is a better forum for this, but-- has anyone used Spivey consulting and had a good or bad result they would like to share?
I think I got quoted 1200 when I first started looking. The sell was really convincing but ultimately I decided against it because I thought I could get what I wanted on my own. I did better than last time( I had your cycle two years ago) and am happy with my cycle but honestly if I was hell bent on a T6 I would have/ should have used them.

tuesdayninja

Bronze

Post by tuesdayninja » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:00 pm

Sarastro wrote:Well since I'm gonna drop my deposit in a few hours, I can finally wrap my head around it:

My girlfriend and I have been friends since middle school, but just started dating after college a couple years ago. The last 12 months, though, she's been at Michigan State getting her PhD- 9 hours away. Our relationship is still solid, but it definitely hasn't been fun having to drive almost 20 hours in a weekend to see one another. But in two shorts months I'll be headed up to University of Michigan- just ONE hour away! Just another thing to look forward to with this big change.
Go blueeee! And now you guys have another thing you can share, sports rivalry!

thatblondegirl

Bronze

Post by thatblondegirl » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:04 pm

RParadela wrote:Maybe I'm just way more selfish than others here, but I'd drop my SO in a heartbeat if the other option was to be constrained by her rather than pursing my life goals. Way too many fish in the sea for me to be held back by one person
Lol, this is exactly what I'm doing. Tbh, my relationship is probably over as soon as I make a seat deposit. Everyone's situation is different; but age, strength of relationship and priorities are major factors.

govlife

Bronze

Post by govlife » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:13 pm

jjcorvino wrote:
Stylnator wrote:To those who have tough decisions coming up, how is everyone deciding their options? Pro/con lists? Family/friends?

I'm so torn I literally don't know how to even begin to approach deciding on a school.
Once I get all decisions, I am going to put together all of the information, and sit down and talk it out with the soon to be wife. I do wish at times that I had the freedom that a lot of people have (no significant other that they have to consider). It makes it a bit more difficult when my fiancee has to apply and find a job in four different cities while I am trying to decide :lol: . Luckily she is a teacher and it isn't difficult for her to get a job, but getting one in a good school that she will like is hard.
Literally in this exact situation. It does make the decision more complicated, but I would also have no idea how to choose otherwise. My husband is a teacher so we have flexibility, but QOL for teachers varies a lot. We have it narrowed down to the 2 top contenders at this point, and both have lots of school districts close. I feel so bad though that he has to scramble and apply for jobs once we choose a place. We have kids, so we're also trying to choose between somewhere that will allow us to ditch our cars most of the time or somewhere with a house and backyard.

And absolutely yes to the pro con list. We have a google spreadsheet, and it has helped narrow things down more quickly.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

haley12

Silver

Post by haley12 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:21 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
Nightwing wrote:
I think I got quoted 1200 when I first started looking. The sell was really convincing but ultimately I decided against it because I thought I could get what I wanted on my own. I did better than last time( I had your cycle two years ago) and am happy with my cycle but honestly if I was hell bent on a T6 I would have/ should have used them.
Good to know. Not horrifying considering how much I/my parents shelled out for LSAT tutoring (worth it).

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:46 pm

Finally waitlisted and withdrawing soon at HLS, so would like to say my cycle is over.

Unfortunately, I am still UR at Berkeley with no promise of a decision until the beginning of June.

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:54 pm

Thank you! You guys are the absolute best
Last edited by ashrice13 on Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nimbus cloud

Silver

Post by nimbus cloud » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:56 pm

Between B and probably a good amount at H, I'd take the latter.
Last edited by nimbus cloud on Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NotAGolfer

Silver

Post by NotAGolfer » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:57 pm

She said don't quote.

Monday

Silver

Post by Monday » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:58 pm

Last edited by Monday on Thu May 11, 2017 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Post by Assasindowntheavenue » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:58 pm

ashrice13 wrote:
What makes you think you'd get a good amount at the other school? Unless you're hell bent on it, I'd say go to the full ride and don't look back.

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:00 pm

Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
What makes you think you'd get a good amount at the other school? Unless you're hell bent on it, I'd say go to the full ride and don't look back.
Yeah...good amount is definitely not the best phrase. I don't have a lot of money and Have no parental info to include so I have an idea in my head of what I might get but it's all speculation. Good amount is also relative.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RParadela

Silver

Post by RParadela » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:05 pm

I'd definitely ride out Harvard waitlist. If you anticipate getting any kind of money from Harvard, I think it's a much better choice than BU even on a full ride

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Post by Assasindowntheavenue » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:06 pm

ashrice13 wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
Yeah...good amount is definitely not the best phrase. I don't have a lot of money and Have no parental info to include so I have an idea in my head of what I might get but it's all speculation. Good amount is also relative.

I mean more power to you if you don't have to include parental information and (relatively) you don't have much $. That could help, but I'm just of the notion that unless you're like dirt poor or you have unicorn numbers/background for that school, you shouldn't expect much $. With a full ride, being in the location you want, and doing well in your class, you have a great shot of doing major things, even if you're not a grad from the other school. As they say, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Just my two cents though!

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:10 pm

ashrice13 wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:

I mean more power to you if you don't have to include parental information and (relatively) you don't have much $. That could help, but I'm just of the notion that unless you're like dirt poor or you have unicorn numbers/background for that school, you shouldn't expect much $. With a full ride, being in the location you want, and doing well in your class, you have a great shot of doing major things, even if you're not a grad from the other school. As they say, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Just my two cents though!
They do say how they calculate the aid you'll receive so you can attempt to make some predictions (though I have no experience how well these predictions play out in reality). And just under 50% do receive grant aid, with the median being something like 22k, so it's not unreasonable to predict that you'll receive some $ based on your financial situation.

Ashrice, agree with the others - would ride out the WL. And you'll have a great outcome either way, so congratulations.

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:15 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys!! Most people in my life would tell me in crazy to ride out the WL so I'm glad to have people pushing on the other end.

Reddit's gonna be so pissed you're not all being meaner

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nimbus cloud

Silver

Post by nimbus cloud » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:16 pm

NotAGolfer wrote:She said don't quote.
I am sorry, ashrice13. Edited.

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:17 pm

ashrice13 wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:

Yeah...that's exactly the way I've been thinking about it. I just have to sit down and really make a choice

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:17 pm

nimbus cloud wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:She said don't quote.
I am sorry, ashrice13. Edited.
No problem fam!! :D

gwillygecko

Bronze

Post by gwillygecko » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:18 pm

ashrice13 wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
im in a similar situation and am going to ride it fwiw

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

studyingeveryday

Silver

Post by studyingeveryday » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:18 pm

ashrice13 wrote:Thanks for all the advice guys!!

Ride out the waitlist! You'll always wonder whether you could have gotten off of it!

RParadela

Silver

Post by RParadela » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:35 pm

Harvard employment outcomes are just so much better than any T30. Someone from the top 1-2% at a T30 is probably about level with someone at median at Harvard

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:08 am

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/ed ... ?tid=sm_fb

Guys, we can't let Sarah Larimer find us. She's savage

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:04 am

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/ed ... ?tid=sm_fb

Guys, we can't let Sarah Larimer find us. She's savage
Omg haha. I totally used CC. I applied ED to my undergrad and knew exactly when my letter would arrive. I went back once and actually found my posts.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”