TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:34 pm

HennessyVSOP wrote:
Dear Hennessy,

Don’t get us wrong, we’re proud to have risen in the U.S. News rankings for three consecutive years. But, let's face it, you go to law school to pass the bar and become a lawyer.

Outcomes are what matter most.

St. John’s Law ranks in the top 40 in the US (and 4th in New York) for employment. Whether you want to work in private practice, serve the public interest, or use your law degree for something else, St. John’s will help you get there...

shitty humlebrags about rankings have begun

Got that one too, who is the person aware rankings dropped this week but not suspicious of a school still soliciting applications in March?

Kopetz

Bronze

Postby Kopetz » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:49 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:Due to positive news in the rankings we have extended our application deadline to April 1, and invite you to submit your application to start this fall. We hope you will consider Wake Forest Law for your legal education. As a student here at Wake Forest Law, you can be sure you will experience more than you thought you ever would!

Schools taking these rankings to the next level lol.

just saw this in my spam folder (thanks google) and imo the bolded phrase is deeply concerning

edited to add: "experience more" is a hyperlink to a page titled "what we're into." dead.

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:03 pm

Does anyone know how schools decide what order to view applications in?

charles117

Bronze

Postby charles117 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:07 pm

somedeadman wrote:Does anyone know how schools decide what order to view applications in?

Completely random

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:44 pm

charles117 wrote:
somedeadman wrote:Does anyone know how schools decide what order to view applications in?

Completely random

Seriously? Why are people encouraged to apply early then?

Pozzo

Gold

Postby Pozzo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:45 pm

somedeadman wrote:
charles117 wrote:

Completely random

Seriously? Why are people encouraged to apply early then?

No, not seriously. :roll:

Most read in order received, but prioritize stronger numbers to some degree or another.

shotgunheist

Bronze

Postby shotgunheist » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:37 am

4 more schools to hear back from and this cycle from the top 13 circles of hell will be over

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:45 am

shotgunheist wrote:4 more schools to hear back from and this cycle from the top 13 circles of hell will be over

Poor Georgetown. Not even Hell wants them.

dasq5511

Bronze

Postby dasq5511 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:31 pm

Rigo wrote:
shotgunheist wrote:4 more schools to hear back from and this cycle from the top 13 circles of hell will be over

In all seriousness, when did Georgetown's reputation get so bad? Obviously they only lost their T14 spot this year, but their employment outcomes have been much worse than the rest for years. Was there a point when they were equivalent/stronger than other T14 schools in terms of employment? What happened?

goldenbear2020

Silver

Postby goldenbear2020 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:40 pm

dasq5511 wrote:
Rigo wrote:

In all seriousness, when did Georgetown's reputation get so bad? Obviously they only lost their T14 spot this year, but their employment outcomes have been much worse than the rest for years. Was there a point when they were equivalent/stronger than other T14 schools in terms of employment? What happened?

GULC had a 170 median as recently as 2011, but since then the downturn in applicants and their low endowment meant they couldn't cut class size or offer enough scholarship money to keep their numbers and employment rates from dropping relative to the T13.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:57 pm

goldenbear2020 wrote:
dasq5511 wrote:
Rigo wrote:

GULC had a 170 median as recently as 2011, but since then the downturn in applicants and their low endowment meant they couldn't cut class size or offer enough scholarship money to keep their numbers and employment rates from dropping relative to the T13.

Also it gets by on a lot of lay preftige and I think the obsession comes from pretty borderline applicants generally.

When I first joined TLS there were definitely haters, but also a lot more people REALLY wanting Georgetown. I haven't seen as much enthusiasm recently. I don't think it's yet had any real effect on their class profile, but I've noticed the tides shifting.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:00 pm

Rigo wrote:
goldenbear2020 wrote:
dasq5511 wrote:
Rigo wrote:

Also it gets by on a lot of lay preftige and I think the obsession comes from pretty borderline applicants generally.

When I first joined TLS there were definitely haters, but also a lot more people REALLY wanting Georgetown. I haven't seen as much enthusiasm recently. I don't think it's yet had any real effect on their class profile, but I've noticed the tides shifting.

I think the class size is a huge turn-off (and the subsequent employment #s).

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:04 pm

brinicolec wrote:I think the class size is a huge turn-off (and the subsequent employment #s).

Yeah. It gets a lot of buzz simply because a lot of people want to live and work in DC too.
Plus the facilities are pretty nice. Georgetown people love to rave about their gym!

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:07 pm

Rigo wrote:
brinicolec wrote:I think the class size is a huge turn-off (and the subsequent employment #s).

Yeah. It gets a lot of buzz simply because a lot of people want to live and work in DC too.
Plus the facilities are pretty nice. Georgetown people love to rave about their gym!

Yeah, I love DC and would've loved to go to Georgetown if they didn't have such a strange employment rating.

sorence

Bronze

Postby sorence » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:09 pm

brinicolec wrote:
Rigo wrote:

Yeah, I love DC and would've loved to go to Georgetown if they didn't have such a strange employment rating.

+1 on the class size as well. It's ridiculously large.

dasq5511

Bronze

Postby dasq5511 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:11 pm

Rigo wrote:

Agreed, at least for me you can't reasonably compare a school with 600 students to one with 200 students(I guess Harvard gets a pass on this).

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:14 pm

sorence wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Rigo wrote:

+1 on the class size as well. It's ridiculously large.

Yeah, they have HELLA sections lol

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:25 pm

I see tons of people ED GULC and I always find that craaaazzy

Rubbishdump

Bronze

Postby Rubbishdump » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:33 am

proteinshake wrote:but is Case Western going to send me an email saying "today's the last day!!" 50 times again.

I applied there early in the cycle and they kept sending me letters in the mail telling me to submit an application until I withdrew. Like wtf.

Stylnator

Silver

Postby Stylnator » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:39 am

Would you go to an unaccredited school if your company paid in full for it?

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:44 am

Stylnator wrote:Would you go to an unaccredited school if your company paid in full for it?

Nope.

Stylnator

Silver

Postby Stylnator » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:47 am

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
Stylnator wrote:Would you go to an unaccredited school if your company paid in full for it?

Nope.

My coworkers keep telling me 'oh but we know so many people with guaranteed jobs after!' I wish I could tell them how wrong they are without sounding like a snob.

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:50 am

Stylnator wrote:
Anon.y.mousse. wrote:

Nope.

My coworkers keep telling me 'oh but we know so many people with guaranteed jobs after!' I wish I could tell them how wrong they are without sounding like a snob.

That's how I feel regarding talking to pretty much anybody outside TLS about law school but yeah, that's tough. Based on my brief Google research you can only sit the CA bar from a non-ABA school and then MAYBE be able to practice in a different state after practicing in CA for a number of years or if someone vouches for you or if you pass a different state's bar after passing the CA bar and that sounds like a nightmare. Saying you have a guaranteed job after graduation at a certain company is, to me, akin to the computer science people I know who have great jobs right now without a college degree and think they'll never need one down the road because they have a great job now. You never know what will happen/how your circumstances will change and that's way too risky for me.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:01 am

I wouldn't even let my company pay for me to go to a T14. I'd rather owe Uncle Sam than them

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:27 am

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:I wouldn't even let my company pay for me to go to a T14. I'd rather owe Uncle Sam than them

This exactly. My friend got his job to pay for his masters. He said it was the worst decision ever. They basically own him for the next few years. They have been giving him shit work and they know that he cannot move on because if he does he takes on the debt load.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?