TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

dasq5511

Bronze

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby dasq5511 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:52 am

warmcherrysoda wrote:
speedofthought wrote:
dasq5511 wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
dasq5511 wrote:
Obviously kinda intimidated because I've never spent that much time on my own before, especially in foreign countries, but also super psyched. Definitely didn't want to let this time go considering the next time I can just take 2 months to travel is not likely to be anytime soon. I'm fairly social as is but I'm also hoping this forces me to be more outgoing and ballsy since the alternative is not speaking to anyone.

I did something like this in undergrad. It is a really good way to meet people, but also don't dismiss the concept of not speaking to anyone. Most of my time I spent talking with locals and other hostel-ites, but I also spent two days alone in the alps not speaking to anyone, it was pretty awesome.

Yeah agreed, planning on taking a well stocked kindle for my alone time. Anyone been to Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, or Laos before/have tips?

I've been to Vietnam. I'm not sure how much travel you are planning to do in country, but the train from Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi (or vice-versa) is by no means high speed. A lot of my friends chose to fly instead, and I don't think it was significantly more expensive. You should plan to bring a back-lit e-reader if you opt for the train. Also, Hue is beautiful, and so is Halong Bay. However, at least on the boat service through Halong Bay that I took, the guides insist on keeping your passport overnight in case the boat is stopped by the police/coast guard. That's probably a real concern, but I didn't feel very comfortable with it.

The train takes about 36-40 hours (two nights). However, it offers an absolutely beautiful view of the coast. If you take it, I recommend going southwards, from Hanoi to HCMC so that you pass the most beautiful part of the coast during the daytime. I've also been to the other countries you mentioned, as well as Malaysia and Singapore during the same trip. I can send you my itinerary if you'd like (PM me).

I was pretty strongly considering the train but I think I'm going to just fly from Da Nang to HCMC so that I can save time for different parts of the regions that I want to make it to.

Nightwing

Bronze

Postby Nightwing » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:59 am

My safeties have now all officially waitlisted me in addition to my targets. I don't understand what's happening.

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:28 am

Nightwing wrote:My safeties have now all officially waitlisted me in addition to my targets. I don't understand what's happening.

I'm sorry to hear this...where do you have left to hear back from?

Nightwing

Bronze

Postby Nightwing » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:34 am

Keilz wrote:
Nightwing wrote:My safeties have now all officially waitlisted me in addition to my targets. I don't understand what's happening.

Michigan, UVA, UPenn, NYU, Columbia, Chicago

Calling it now based on MyLSN and cycle so far... all waitlists with maybe a rejection or two. :(

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:36 am

brinicolec wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:
I don't trust anyone that consistently deletes their posts. If you feel the need to delete what you say, you probably shouldn't be saying it in the first place.

My favorite thing is that they deleted their posts but like all of their posts were quoted by other people so it's still all in the thread :lol: :lol: :lol:

The only post that she hasn't deleted in her hundreds of posts was the one where she told me to "stop hating because it's getting so old" even though I had never talked to her before and had no idea who she is :lol: honestly though kind of creeped out that someone has so much spite and anger towards me for absolutely no reason.

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:40 am

Nightwing wrote:
Keilz wrote:

Calling it now based on MyLSN and cycle so far... all waitlists with maybe a rejection or two. :(

Don't give up yet- you have so many schools left to hear back from! If you haven't already, you can definitely write Michigan and penn's optional essays and submit them to the schools now.

potterotter

Bronze

Postby potterotter » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:47 am

---
Last edited by potterotter on Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:57 am

Shakawkaw wrote:I would love to travel alone, but haven't done it yet because I feel like it's hard navigating that as a petite female. :oops:

I've traveled alone as a petite female a few times. If you're really interested, there is a lot of info out there in the best/safest places for women to travel solo. There's some good blogs out there too.

You do have to be more careful but it's definitely doable. I did NYC/Miami with just normal precautions (don't walk alone at 3am down a dark alley, etc). went to Cancun by myself because it's all touristy or you go places with guides anyway. Places like that are pretty easy. I didn't go alone, but Iceland and Costa Rica are really safe for traveling alone too.

Definitely do some research, you won't regret it! Traveling alone (especially when I was single) was a really formative experience for me.

Bronze

Postby 88234 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:12 am

potterotter wrote:
Keilz wrote:
The only post that she hasn't deleted in her hundreds of posts was the one where she told me to "stop hating because it's getting so old" even though I had never talked to her before and had no idea who she is :lol: honestly though kind of creeped out that someone has so much spite and anger towards me for absolutely no reason.

Deleting that one would mean unquoting your negative comment about Yale's curriculum :wink: can't have that. My issues with your posts have been very specific and discussed at length, but think what you want.

Also, as a note, knowing which post out of hundreds has been kept up means that you actually went through twelve pages of my previous blank posts. So much work! Don't worry, Im not creeped out.

Here on TLS, we choose our battles well.

tuesdayninja

Bronze

Postby tuesdayninja » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:22 am

Headed back to Europe for two weeks with my girlfriend. Gonna be hopping around hostels.

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:26 am

potterotter wrote:
Keilz wrote:

Deleting that one would mean unquoting your negative comment about Yale's curriculum :wink: can't have that. My issues with your posts have been very specific and discussed at length, but think what you want.

Also, as a note, knowing which post out of hundreds has been kept up means that you actually went through twelve pages of my previous blank posts. So much work! Don't worry, Im not creeped out.

Lol ok
Last edited by Keilz on Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:29 am

I'll be going on my honeymoon this summer :-). Bali, Gili Islands and Jogjakarta.

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:30 am

jjcorvino wrote:I'll be going on my honeymoon this summer :-). Bali, Gili Islands and Jogjakarta.

congrats!! That sounds awesome

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:55 am

Nightwing wrote:
Keilz wrote:

Naw you'll get into one of these schools bro. I have faith in you.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:57 am

jjcorvino wrote:I'll be going on my honeymoon this summer :-). Bali, Gili Islands and Jogjakarta.

Congratulations! I hope you guys enjoy!

Bronze

Postby 88234 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:58 am

Mr_Chukes wrote:
Nightwing wrote:
Keilz wrote:

While all you fancy people will be taking vacations before law school, Nightwing and I will be stressing about waitlists and (possibly in their case, definitely in mine) studying for the June LSAT.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:01 am

88234 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
Nightwing wrote:
Keilz wrote:

While all you fancy people will be taking vacations before law school, Nightwing and I will be stressing about waitlists and (possibly in their case, definitely in mine) studying for the June LSAT.

Good luck to y'all. I might be going to Cabo.

theothercat

Bronze

Postby theothercat » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:04 am

As soon as I quit my job in June, I'm going on my first international trip. My best friend moved to Spain last year, so I'm going to meet her in her town, and then we're going to Madrid, Rome, Prague, Athens, Granada, Lagos, Amsterdam, and Dublin!

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:09 am

My husband and I are going to Paris in May. Flights were super cheap so we jumped on them :D I wish we could do something longer/more exotic, but since he has a full-time job and needs to support us during LS, that isn't going to work. :(

For those of you who mentioned they're going to Spain: PLEASE please please go to Sevilla. I studied abroad there for six months, and it was my favorite European city by far (and I have been to quite a few). You will get a much more "Spanish" experience than if you only go to Madrid/Barcelona. Also, the weather there is better than Madrid or Barcelona ;) (and if you're a GoT fan, some of the scenes from the show were filmed there)

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:18 am

theothercat wrote:As soon as I quit my job in June, I'm going on my first international trip. My best friend moved to Spain last year, so I'm going to meet her in her town, and then we're going to Madrid, Rome, Prague, Athens, Granada, Lagos, Amsterdam, and Dublin!

This sounds amazing. None of my friends have money so I've never been able to take a proper girls trip.

Thelaw23

Silver

Postby Thelaw23 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:21 am

I'm spending my last months before law school paying off the balance on my car lease and my credit card debt. Might take a trip to Canada though and Detroit later on for a festival.

Although to be honest, I'm just excited as hell for spring/summer to hit NY because this weather has been absolute crap here.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:22 am

oh and I actually should make a trip to NYC. only times I've been there, I was really young.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:26 am

theothercat wrote:As soon as I quit my job in June, I'm going on my first international trip. My best friend moved to Spain last year, so I'm going to meet her in her town, and then we're going to Madrid, Rome, Prague, Athens, Granada, Lagos, Amsterdam, and Dublin!

Wait Lagos Nigeria, you're awesome!

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:36 am

Mr_Chukes wrote:

I have a feeling she means Lagos, Portugal :? (which is amazing as well--but can't speak to Lagos, Nigeria!)

theothercat

Bronze

Postby theothercat » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:38 am

airwrecka wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:

I have a feeling she means Lagos, Portugal :? (which is amazing as well--but can't speak to Lagos, Nigeria!)

Haha, yes, I meant Portugal. I actually didn't know there was a Lagos, Nigeria. Though to be fair, I didn't know there was a Lagos, Portugal until my friend told me we were going there...

I am not a cultured woman.
Last edited by theothercat on Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?