TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

chichi1992

Bronze

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby chichi1992 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:11 am

Rigo wrote:
HennessyVSOP wrote:
Rigo wrote:
HennessyVSOP wrote:IBR and PAYE and PSLF aren't going anywhere

Think this that all you want but I don't want to let this just sit here unchecked. PSLF can be gutted anytime, and nearly all school LRAPs are dependent on federal programs.

you're right
however the current admin has no plans to gut any student loan programs
altho their whims could change on a dime

even so

life sux, take out debt. drink more hennessy. if i can't pay my loans maybe i'll move to thailand.

jk i'm not stupid - anything more than $140k of debt is scary.

Good news is that once you sign that promissory note, I think you're golden.

PSLF as a program may not be going anywhere, but the Dept of Ed can change what qualifies as "public service" at any point. If that happens, it can force individuals to make retroactive payments...even if their employers were explicitly approved as "public service entities" in the past.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/20/your ... .html?_r=0

It might not happen often, but it does happen. And that was under Obama. I am with Rigo--everyone should be cautious about PSLF.
Last edited by chichi1992 on Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thelaw23

Silver

Postby Thelaw23 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:20 am

So the first three weeks I was excited about getting in, but now my excitement turned into fear of loans. It really is scary, but you got to do what you got to do lol.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:25 am

Thelaw23 wrote:So the first three weeks I was excited about getting in, but now my excitement turned into fear of loans. It really is scary, but you got to do what you got to do lol.

Yup just gotta work hard in school so those loans take you where you want to go lol.

Stylnator

Silver

Postby Stylnator » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:34 am

chichi1992 wrote:
Rigo wrote:
HennessyVSOP wrote:
Rigo wrote:
HennessyVSOP wrote:IBR and PAYE and PSLF aren't going anywhere

Think this that all you want but I don't want to let this just sit here unchecked. PSLF can be gutted anytime, and nearly all school LRAPs are dependent on federal programs.

you're right
however the current admin has no plans to gut any student loan programs
altho their whims could change on a dime

even so

life sux, take out debt. drink more hennessy. if i can't pay my loans maybe i'll move to thailand.

jk i'm not stupid - anything more than $140k of debt is scary.

Good news is that once you sign that promissory note, I think you're golden.

PSLF as a program may not be going anywhere, but the Dept of Ed can change what qualifies as "public service" at any point. If that happens, it can force individuals to make retroactive payments...even if their employers were explicitly approved as "public service entities" in the past.

https://www.americanbar.org/news/abanew ... uitag.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/20/your ... .html?_r=0

It might not happen often, but it does happen. And that was under Obama. I am with Rigo--everyone should be cautious about PSLF.

I think PSLF cap or gutted entirely is much more realistic than retroactive payments. I really think the benefits of the program were never meant to be a failsafe option for those going into school - just something that could help those already with debt. Has there been any news on whether anyone's debt has actually been forgiven yet? This is the first year people are eligible for forgiveness and I'm very interested in finding out if PSLF actually works for anyone

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:24 am

Thelaw23 wrote:So the first three weeks I was excited about getting in, but now my excitement turned into fear of loans. It really is scary, but you got to do what you got to do lol.

I'm with ya! The closer we get, the more real it gets, the more my excitement turns to anxiety/fear. Im a very type A person who grew up without a lot of money so I'm not typically a risk taker when it comes to financials. This is the biggest financial risk I've ever taken and will probably ever take in my life.

What I'm trying to say is that console myself with alcohol a lot sometimes.

Thelaw23

Silver

Postby Thelaw23 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:42 am

ashrice13 wrote:

I'm with ya! The closer we get, the more real it gets, the more my excitement turns to anxiety/fear. Im a very type A person who grew up without a lot of money so I'm not typically a risk taker when it comes to financials. This is the biggest financial risk I've ever taken and will probably ever take in my life.

It's just, my whole life since about 14/15 I have worked. I worked through undergrad full time, came out without any debt. It just seems crazy to me to NOT work for the most part of three years and be living all on loans. Not used to it lol, not sure how I'll take care of all the expenses here in NYC.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:58 am

I can't wait for my cycle to be over lol.

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:03 am

Thelaw23 wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:

It's just, my whole life since about 14/15 I have worked. I worked through undergrad full time, came out without any debt. It just seems crazy to me to NOT work for the most part of three years and be living all on loans. Not used to it lol, not sure how I'll take care of all the expenses here in NYC.

Same here!! ive worked since the same age, worked Full time during UG, etc. I did get some debt from UG but very minimal (think: the price of a car or less). The idea of not working is crazy to me! Especially since my PI interests will probably lead to me taking unpaid internships in the summer.

Torres1893

Bronze

Postby Torres1893 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:15 am

+1

I was real stressed out about taking out loans last week, and I've come to accept it (or just pushed it to the back of my mind).

jstans

Bronze

Postby jstans » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:58 am

I'm not going to think about loans today *fingers crossed*

S.Picquery

Silver

Postby S.Picquery » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:01 pm

Torres1893 wrote:

+1

I was real stressed out about taking out loans last week, and I've come to accept it (or just pushed it to the back of my mind).

This. If money weren't a factor I 100% know where I'd go. I'd be there in a heartbeat. Now I'm stressed and have had six people in the past two days tell me I look sad all the time. Hahahaha, can't help it, fam. That's just my face now.

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:50 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
Torres1893 wrote:

+1

This. If money weren't a factor I 100% know where I'd go. I'd be there in a heartbeat. Now I'm stressed and have had six people in the past two days tell me I look sad all the time. Hahahaha, can't help it, fam. That's just my face now.

+1

My current life is a cycle of "everything is going to be alright!" followed by "holy fuck am I making a mistake and how do I calm my anxiety before I pass it on to my spouse, my family, my cats,?!! etc.". Then I get that small burst of calm, and repeat.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:44 pm

jjcorvino wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
proteinshake wrote:lol at the NYU thread rn

I can't decide if it's anxiety -> assholeness or just pure pettiness. With the profile mocking, I'm gonna lead towards the latter. It's unfortunate too because I'm all for amusing pettiness but that person was just being annoyingly petty.

Oh well. The cycle will be over soon enough lol.

I thought NYU was the kinder, gentler version of Columbia?!

Well, they ain't going to NYU

I don't trust anyone that consistently deletes their posts. If you feel the need to delete what you say, you probably shouldn't be saying it in the first place.

My favorite thing is that they deleted their posts but like all of their posts were quoted by other people so it's still all in the thread :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:47 pm

jjcorvino wrote:I don't trust anyone that consistently deletes their posts. If you feel the need to delete what you say, you probably shouldn't be saying it in the first place.

Thank your lucky stars you weren't a waiter last year then with the post deleter script.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:47 pm

Torres1893 wrote:

+1

I've actually gotten LESS stressed about debt, surprisingly lol. After doing some introspection, I realized I'd prefer to go to a better school with national reach and better odds of getting the kind of job I want than going to a regional school that might pin me down in an area that I'm unsure I like with ~ just okay ~ odds of getting the kind of job I want, even if it's gonna kill my salary for nearly a decade. I'm also a URM so if I can represent for my people in a top 10 school, that's even better!

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:49 pm

ashrice13 wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:

Same here!! ive worked since the same age, worked Full time during UG, etc. I did get some debt from UG but very minimal (think: the price of a car or less). The idea of not working is crazy to me! Especially since my PI interests will probably lead to me taking unpaid internships in the summer.

I think most schools have a way of funding PI folks during the summer though, if that makes you feel any better lol.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:59 pm

Gym shorts/sweat pants for Skype interview, right?

Pozzo

Gold

Postby Pozzo » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:02 pm

Rigo wrote:Gym shorts/sweat pants for Skype interview, right?

Only if you're feeling fancy.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:03 pm

Pozzo wrote:
Rigo wrote:Gym shorts/sweat pants for Skype interview, right?

Only if you're feeling fancy.

:lol:

RParadela

Silver

Postby RParadela » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Which schools are you guys deciding between? Interested to see how other people pick and choose.

LSRAT

Bronze

Postby LSRAT » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:07 pm

RParadela wrote:Which schools are you guys deciding between? Interested to see how other people pick and choose.

+1.

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:07 pm

RParadela wrote:Which schools are you guys deciding between? Interested to see how other people pick and choose.

NYU, Mich, and Berkeley at this point, but NYU is looking more likely every day.

But if I get into HYS (still pending on all three), that might change things :shock:

LSRAT

Bronze

Postby LSRAT » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:10 pm

airwrecka wrote:

NYU, Mich, and Berkeley at this point, but NYU is looking more likely every day.

But if I get into HYS (still pending on all three), that might change things :shock:

Same. I'm in at all the T14 I applied to outside of HYS (still waiting too). It would be nice to hear back from them, but I also don't understand how anyone is expected to make a decision without knowing financial aid info from all the schools they are considering.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:17 pm

Northwestern, Michigan, maybe Georgetown.

Leaning heavily towards Northwestern.

potterotter

Bronze

Postby potterotter » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:18 pm

---
Last edited by potterotter on Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?