TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

10
10
83%
9
0
No votes
8
1
8%
7
0
No votes
6
0
No votes
5
0
No votes
4
0
No votes
3
1
8%
2
0
No votes
1
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 12

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver
Posts: 1297
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:27 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:17 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote:
caitlinrw wrote:Hey guys, just wanted to get some opinions. I'm a Florida native, and know for sure that I want to stay here to practice after school. Should I include schools outside of Florida on my app list? Right now, FSU is my top choice, and I'm sure I can get some scholly money if I apply early enough as planned. Thanks for the future advice, let me know if you need my stats to answer this.


EDIT: Biglaw is not a must for me, just to throw that in there, lol


Hey...welcome to the thread! About FL (anecdote alert): Mrs. Meerkat graduated from one of Duke, Penn, Virginia this last year. One of her close friends was top-25ish% after 1L year and grew up/graduated high school in Florida. This person received multiple V15 offers in NYC (definitely an accomplished individual) but, despite 3 callbacks at FL biglaw firms, couldn't land an offer to get back home.

So, I'd suggest you seriously consider the TLS-standard advice that FL is VERY uniquely ties sensitive. If you're dead set on practicing in FL, seems to me FSU might be a solid option (especially if you're looking at a significant scholarship). Good luck!


Shit for real? Where did they go for UG? I was born and raised in FL and went to FSU for undergrad. I am looking at one of Penn, Duke, or UVA for law but always thought I would have the ability to go back home after if that's what I wanted to do. I also like to think I am pretty well tied in the Tampa area. I don't want to lock myself in to FL, but the concept of striking out if I go out of state is kind of scary

ponderingmeerkat

Gold
Posts: 1875
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:24 am

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:25 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:Shit for real? Where did they go for UG? I was born and raised in FL and went to one of FSU for undergrad. I am looking at one of Penn, Duke, or UVA for law but always thought I would have the ability to go back home after if that's what I wanted to do.


Not in Florida but I don't remember exactly where (also worked in DC for a couple years after grad).

Now, keep in mind this is just one anecdote. But it does seem to jive with the standard storyline you'll hear around TLS which is that FL (especially FL biglaw) is a tough nut to crack. There's a ton of threads about this so I'd recommend you check them out. That said, if you're born/raised/HS grad/UG grad from FL, that's as solid as ties get. So, I guess I'd just keep an eye on FSU and see what they throw your way. If it's a full/near-full ride, might not be a terrible option if you're committed to a career in FL. Just an idea...

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver
Posts: 1297
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:27 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:29 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:Shit for real? Where did they go for UG? I was born and raised in FL and went to one of FSU for undergrad. I am looking at one of Penn, Duke, or UVA for law but always thought I would have the ability to go back home after if that's what I wanted to do.


also worked in DC for a couple years after grad.


Welp...

You're basically describing me, guess I'd better start working my connections now. I'm banking that if I do well enough I should be able to leverage some close personal connections for a SA position. I don't want to lock in Florida is my issue. I've heard experienced hiring is much more reliable, worst case I can stay out for a year or two

caitlinrw

Bronze
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby caitlinrw » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:52 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote:
caitlinrw wrote:Hey guys, just wanted to get some opinions. I'm a Florida native, and know for sure that I want to stay here to practice after school. Should I include schools outside of Florida on my app list? Right now, FSU is my top choice, and I'm sure I can get some scholly money if I apply early enough as planned. Thanks for the future advice, let me know if you need my stats to answer this.


EDIT: Biglaw is not a must for me, just to throw that in there, lol


Hey...welcome to the thread! About FL (anecdote alert): Mrs. Meerkat graduated from one of Duke, Penn, Virginia this last year. One of her close friends was top-25ish% after 1L year and grew up/graduated high school in Florida. This person received multiple V15 offers in NYC (definitely an accomplished individual) but, despite 3 callbacks at FL biglaw firms, couldn't land an offer to get back home.

So, I'd suggest you seriously consider the TLS-standard advice that FL is VERY uniquely ties sensitive. If you're dead set on practicing in FL, seems to me FSU might be a solid option (especially if you're looking at a significant scholarship). Good luck!


Thanks for the advice, I'll keep y'all updated!

User avatar
The_Pluviophile

Bronze
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby The_Pluviophile » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:25 am

Adding to the Florida discussion, I spoke with an alumn from my undergrad (which is in Florida) who went to law school in DC and also had a tough time getting a job back in Florida. She's at a major firm in DC now, but still. She said she had firms ask her in interviews why she didn't go to UF/if she didn't get in. Yikes.

caitlinrw

Bronze
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby caitlinrw » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:45 am

The_Pluviophile wrote:Adding to the Florida discussion, I spoke with an alumn from my undergrad (which is in Florida) who went to law school in DC and also had a tough time getting a job back in Florida. She's at a major firm in DC now, but still. She said she had firms ask her in interviews why she didn't go to UF/if she didn't get in. Yikes.


Yeah, I've heard that before. That's why I was thinking why not just go here in FL, and start networking and keep the debt down since I'm in-state. I know it's a risk to keep my apps to state schools, but I think it'll pay off.

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby brinicolec » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:32 am

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
caitlinrw wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
caitlinrw wrote:Hey guys, just wanted to get some opinions. I'm a Florida native, and know for sure that I want to stay here to practice after school. Should I include schools outside of Florida on my app list? Right now, FSU is my top choice, and I'm sure I can get some scholly money if I apply early enough as planned. Thanks for the future advice, let me know if you need my stats to answer this.


EDIT: Biglaw is not a must for me, just to throw that in there, lol


This really gonna come down to your numbers. FSU (and UF, though I'm also a nole) are great schools, and if you are 100% on staying in FL they'll serve you well. But if you can get into t14 or are thinking you may want to spend a little time somewhere else you may want to look at other areas too


True. I got a 162 (not taking again) and a 3.8, URM. So I'm hoping those are good enough numbers to get in. My only out of state I was considering was UT-Austin, cause I always wanted to see Texas, but tuition here is so cheap.


You should get into any school in FL with those numbers and get a bit of money too. It looks like T14 would be a stretch, as would Austin. I don't like the idea of putting all your eggs in one state's basket, but if you're a florida boy and it's where you want to stay I say focus on them.



I'm not sure I'd agree T14 is a stretch, especially since you're a URM. I don't know what your URM is so I plugged in your numbers and included Only URM on myLSN & there are people with your numbers reporting getting into T14 --- including Harvard. If there's a school in T14 (or UT) that interests you, it can't hurt to apply (unless you're really trying to avoid spending $ on apps). I'm realizing that being a URM makes predicting cycles very difficult but I feel like you should be able to break into the T14 somewhere --- maybe not with a lot of money though. Good luck!

caitlinrw

Bronze
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby caitlinrw » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:35 am

brinicolec wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
caitlinrw wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
caitlinrw wrote:Hey guys, just wanted to get some opinions. I'm a Florida native, and know for sure that I want to stay here to practice after school. Should I include schools outside of Florida on my app list? Right now, FSU is my top choice, and I'm sure I can get some scholly money if I apply early enough as planned. Thanks for the future advice, let me know if you need my stats to answer this.


EDIT: Biglaw is not a must for me, just to throw that in there, lol


This really gonna come down to your numbers. FSU (and UF, though I'm also a nole) are great schools, and if you are 100% on staying in FL they'll serve you well. But if you can get into t14 or are thinking you may want to spend a little time somewhere else you may want to look at other areas too


True. I got a 162 (not taking again) and a 3.8, URM. So I'm hoping those are good enough numbers to get in. My only out of state I was considering was UT-Austin, cause I always wanted to see Texas, but tuition here is so cheap.


You should get into any school in FL with those numbers and get a bit of money too. It looks like T14 would be a stretch, as would Austin. I don't like the idea of putting all your eggs in one state's basket, but if you're a florida boy and it's where you want to stay I say focus on them.



I'm not sure I'd agree T14 is a stretch, especially since you're a URM. I don't know what your URM is so I plugged in your numbers and included Only URM on myLSN & there are people with your numbers reporting getting into T14 --- including Harvard. If there's a school in T14 (or UT) that interests you, it can't hurt to apply (unless you're really trying to avoid spending $ on apps). I'm realizing that being a URM makes predicting cycles very difficult but I feel like you should be able to break into the T14 somewhere --- maybe not with a lot of money though. Good luck!


Yeah I agree, my advisor really wants me to apply to one or two T14, but like you said, I'm not sure if I'm ok with the amount of debt I'll probably have to go into just to attend.

caitlinrw

Bronze
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby caitlinrw » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:10 am

I saw this earlier in the thread, but for those who are having the transcript mailed, I had mine mailed on Aug. 1st from our registrar, and I got notice of receipt this morning (the 6th), so it only took about 5 days.

User avatar
pretzeltime

Gold
Posts: 1993
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 6:57 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby pretzeltime » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:40 am

caitlinrw wrote:
The_Pluviophile wrote:Adding to the Florida discussion, I spoke with an alumn from my undergrad (which is in Florida) who went to law school in DC and also had a tough time getting a job back in Florida. She's at a major firm in DC now, but still. She said she had firms ask her in interviews why she didn't go to UF/if she didn't get in. Yikes.


Yeah, I've heard that before. That's why I was thinking why not just go here in FL, and start networking and keep the debt down since I'm in-state. I know it's a risk to keep my apps to state schools, but I think it'll pay off.


Honestly in a way that is great news if you know you want to practice in FL. If it's actually a disadvantage to go elsewhere you know you can go to UF, try to score some scholarship money, kill it, and avoid all of the t-14 BS. Go Gaterz

caitlinrw

Bronze
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby caitlinrw » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:44 am

pretzeltime wrote:
caitlinrw wrote:
The_Pluviophile wrote:Adding to the Florida discussion, I spoke with an alumn from my undergrad (which is in Florida) who went to law school in DC and also had a tough time getting a job back in Florida. She's at a major firm in DC now, but still. She said she had firms ask her in interviews why she didn't go to UF/if she didn't get in. Yikes.


Yeah, I've heard that before. That's why I was thinking why not just go here in FL, and start networking and keep the debt down since I'm in-state. I know it's a risk to keep my apps to state schools, but I think it'll pay off.


Honestly in a way that is great news if you know you want to practice in FL. If it's actually a disadvantage to go elsewhere you know you can go to UF, try to score some scholarship money, kill it, and avoid all of the t-14 BS. Go Gaterz


Thank you lol, I swear if I keep hearing go to a T14 school when I say I have no interest I'm gonna just laugh lol.

User avatar
R. Jeeves

Gold
Posts: 1980
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 7:54 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby R. Jeeves » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:59 am

Taking suggestions 4 new pole

User avatar
pretzeltime

Gold
Posts: 1993
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 6:57 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby pretzeltime » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:37 am

caitlinrw wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:
caitlinrw wrote:
The_Pluviophile wrote:Adding to the Florida discussion, I spoke with an alumn from my undergrad (which is in Florida) who went to law school in DC and also had a tough time getting a job back in Florida. She's at a major firm in DC now, but still. She said she had firms ask her in interviews why she didn't go to UF/if she didn't get in. Yikes.


Yeah, I've heard that before. That's why I was thinking why not just go here in FL, and start networking and keep the debt down since I'm in-state. I know it's a risk to keep my apps to state schools, but I think it'll pay off.


Honestly in a way that is great news if you know you want to practice in FL. If it's actually a disadvantage to go elsewhere you know you can go to UF, try to score some scholarship money, kill it, and avoid all of the t-14 BS. Go Gaterz


Thank you lol, I swear if I keep hearing go to a T14 school when I say I have no interest I'm gonna just laugh lol.


Yep, just recognize (as you already have it seems), that this board is going to be skewed in that direction of advice. Then dew you, gurl

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver
Posts: 1297
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:27 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:02 pm

pretzeltime wrote:
caitlinrw wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:
caitlinrw wrote:
The_Pluviophile wrote:Adding to the Florida discussion, I spoke with an alumn from my undergrad (which is in Florida) who went to law school in DC and also had a tough time getting a job back in Florida. She's at a major firm in DC now, but still. She said she had firms ask her in interviews why she didn't go to UF/if she didn't get in. Yikes.


Yeah, I've heard that before. That's why I was thinking why not just go here in FL, and start networking and keep the debt down since I'm in-state. I know it's a risk to keep my apps to state schools, but I think it'll pay off.


Honestly in a way that is great news if you know you want to practice in FL. If it's actually a disadvantage to go elsewhere you know you can go to UF, try to score some scholarship money, kill it, and avoid all of the t-14 BS. Go Gaterz


Thank you lol, I swear if I keep hearing go to a T14 school when I say I have no interest I'm gonna just laugh lol.


Yep, just recognize (as you already have it seems), that this board is going to be skewed in that direction of advice. Then dew you, gurl


There is something to be said of the more open opportunities from a t14, it is harder to get immediately back to FL but I've heard that many in FL strike out in BL too. Also a few years in NY or DC and you can usually jump in. Not saying it's not a good choice to stay in FL, just defending the skew a little bit

User avatar
carasrook

Bronze
Posts: 395
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:00 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby carasrook » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:13 pm

pretzeltime wrote:
ponderingmeerkat wrote:
R. Jeeves wrote:
ponderingmeerkat wrote:
carasrook wrote:checking in, friends.

i cannot for the life of me come up with a personal statement!!


Cara! Good to see you.

I have this foolproof method for PS generation. You should ask Jeeves about it. :wink:


:lol: :lol:

Are you saying Cara should seek my advice or is this still your go-to search engine? :P


Ahhhh it's an old person joke! I get it!! :lol:

Image


jeeves bringing the lols

i get it too!!!!!!!!


lol awwww I missed you guys!!

User avatar
abbywabby

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:11 am

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby abbywabby » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:19 pm

R. Jeeves wrote:
abbywabby wrote:checking in from cali :P


sup fellow west coaster! welcome to the thread


thanks!

User avatar
abbywabby

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:11 am

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby abbywabby » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:21 pm

pretzeltime wrote:
abbywabby wrote:checking in from cali :P


hey hey! i like your princess pic.

So, Cali person, burgers or tacos? Pie or cake? These are required questions :D


tacos and cake ftw!!!

Pozzo

Gold
Posts: 1907
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:36 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby Pozzo » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:37 pm

Hola, 2020. Checking in.

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby Mikey » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:39 pm

abbywabby wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:
abbywabby wrote:checking in from cali :P


hey hey! i like your princess pic.

So, Cali person, burgers or tacos? Pie or cake? These are required questions :D


tacos and cake ftw!!!

creativity is key. pie inside of cake is the real deal. 8)

caitlinrw

Bronze
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby caitlinrw » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:33 pm

Do you guys think it's too early to solicit fee waivers? I've read the threads about the abundance of hidden waivers, but I want to be on the safe side. Plus I don't want to ask too early.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver
Posts: 1297
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:27 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:37 pm

caitlinrw wrote:Do you guys think it's too early to solicit fee waivers? I've read the threads about the abundance of hidden waivers, but I want to be on the safe side. Plus I don't want to ask too early.


People on other threads have already started. It's probably not going to hurt you to ask on Monday. If you wanted to be safe you could wait until the apps open in LSAC (August 20ish). It's usually a quick turn around apparently, so you could ask then and have the fee waiver by Sept.1

But again you're most likely fine now

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby Mikey » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:51 pm

since you guys are talking about fee waivers. do schools give fee waivers for people who take the september lsat? i haven't gotten anything since my june lsat was ass, so i'm hoping i can get at least some fee waivers when i retake

User avatar
TexasENG

Silver
Posts: 1074
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby TexasENG » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:23 pm

TheMikey wrote:since you guys are talking about fee waivers. do schools give fee waivers for people who take the september lsat? i haven't gotten anything since my june lsat was ass, so i'm hoping i can get at least some fee waivers when i retake


From my understanding, yes as long as you score within their range.

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby Mikey » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:26 pm

TexasENG wrote:
TheMikey wrote:since you guys are talking about fee waivers. do schools give fee waivers for people who take the september lsat? i haven't gotten anything since my june lsat was ass, so i'm hoping i can get at least some fee waivers when i retake


From my understanding, yes as long as you score within their range.

Ah ok thanks!

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby Mikey » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:28 pm

PS coming along great shitty



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexa [Bot] and 9 guests