TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

jstans

Bronze

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby jstans » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:31 pm

airwrecka wrote:
LegallyBlackJD wrote:Would like to fast forward to the end of April. I just wanna know where I'm gonna end up goingggggggggg

Amen. Quite honestly, I think my husband is even more anxious for me to decide than I am. He was like "I thought you'd have this figured out be February!"....:roll:

I'm excited because I'm going to my first ASW next weekend! I think it will make everything seem more "real." The only law school I've been to is the one at my undergrad university :P

Personally I think this process may be harder in general on significant others. My longtime gf has already put in her notice to quit her current teaching job and is super anxious about knowing for sure where we'll be so she can start the job hunt. Kinda makes me feel bad since we're in limbo right now and she can't start yet.

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:34 pm

jstans wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
LegallyBlackJD wrote:Would like to fast forward to the end of April. I just wanna know where I'm gonna end up goingggggggggg

Amen. Quite honestly, I think my husband is even more anxious for me to decide than I am. He was like "I thought you'd have this figured out be February!"....:roll:

I'm excited because I'm going to my first ASW next weekend! I think it will make everything seem more "real." The only law school I've been to is the one at my undergrad university :P

Personally I think this process may be harder in general on significant others. My longtime gf has already put in her notice to quit her current teaching job and is super anxious about knowing for sure where we'll be so she can start the job hunt. Kinda makes me feel bad since we're in limbo right now and she can't start yet.

Yeah, I feel you 100%. My husband hasn't told his current employer yet that we're moving, because he doesn't want backlash in the interim before we leave. He's getting very nervous, though. I feel bad, because he has an established career that he's willing to sacrifice (or at least compromise) for my education!

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:36 pm

goldenbear2020 wrote:
mm2368 wrote:This may be a stupid question, but say la vee!! Lmao .

If a school offers you a scholarship, does accepting that scholarship constitute binding decision to attend? Are you unable to withdraw/forfeit deposit for another school if you're taken off of a waitlist in the summer?

This article may be informative:
https://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/jd- ... ruth-power

Usually accepting the scholarship means you have to withdraw all acceptances and scholarship offers received at that time, however you can keep pending WLs in the hopes of getting in later.

Some scholarship offers may still demand that you withdraw from all schools including those with pending decisions.

Thank you for this! Super helpful.

theothercat

Bronze

Postby theothercat » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:37 pm

airwrecka wrote:
jstans wrote:
airwrecka wrote:

Yeah, I feel you 100%. My husband hasn't told his current employer yet that we're moving, because he doesn't want backlash in the interim before we leave. He's getting very nervous, though. I feel bad, because he has an established career that he's willing to sacrifice (or at least compromise) for my education!

Shout out to the SO's who are in this position. My boyfriend and I came to an initial agreement based on where he absolutely would not be able to live/find a job (i.e. really small towns), but other than that he's basically left it up to me to decide where we're moving.

jstans

Bronze

Postby jstans » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:37 pm

airwrecka wrote:
jstans wrote:
airwrecka wrote:

Luckily for me my SO has wanted to get out of teaching and pursue a job in behavioral health, so her transition was inevitable. The tricky part is making the needed connections in a new area in order to break in to the field.

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:38 pm

airwrecka wrote:
jstans wrote:
airwrecka wrote:

Same here with my wife. It's nerve wracking to say the least.

Kopetz

Bronze

Postby Kopetz » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:40 pm

I just finished up a scholarship negotiation letter -- would anyone be willing to give it a quick look over? I'm also happy to look over other peoples' negotiation letters / LOCI / etc.

LegallyBlackJD

Bronze

Postby LegallyBlackJD » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:49 pm

Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
jstans wrote:
airwrecka wrote:

Same here with my wife. It's nerve wracking to say the least.

Kudos to your SOssssssssss for being so incredibly supportive! :)

govlife

Bronze

Postby govlife » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:24 pm

jstans wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
jstans wrote:
airwrecka wrote:

Luckily for me my SO has wanted to get out of teaching and pursue a job in behavioral health, so her transition was inevitable. The tricky part is making the needed connections in a new area in order to break in to the field.

Seriously this. My husband will be looking for teaching jobs wherever I decide and the wait is making him very nervous that the best options will be gone by the time we're sure.

waldorf

Gold

Postby waldorf » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:13 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
bwaldorf wrote:If y'all had a full ride scholarship and just enough savings to skate by for COL in law school, but would basically have depleted your savings by graduation, would you take out COL loans or use your savings? Use your savings for 1L and 2L and then take out loans, leaving between 15-20k in the bank and only having around 15k in loans? Totally deplete your savings but have no loans? (This would assume your summer positions don't pay enough to fund anything more than just your summer living expenses).

Yay, a Financial Analysis Question!

Two factors at play here:

1) rates of change on money (loan interest and savings interest)
2) Length of time

A few necessary questions:

1) How much on average has your savings earned you since you've had them (and do you expect them to continue earning the same amount)
2) Are we assuming just Stafford unsubsidized loans when discussing loans? at 15k/year it sounds like it

I'm going to assume you haven't been making/anticipate continuing to make 5% on your savings so I say option 2 (or a variation on it) is best. For practical purposes you need to maintain a certain amount of savings for emergencies, so I would come up with a number (honestly 5K is probably enough, with 10K being a very safe net) then use your savings until you hit that number. After that take out what ever you need in loans past that (you don't need to even fully fund your last year with loans, you can just take out 5K). Your best bet is to spend as little time having as little money as possible accruing 5% interest that you will eventually have to pay on top of your loans.

Now if you have a Money Market somewhere making 10% or something then fuck it, take out as much as possible and put some of your scholarship repayment in the bank making that 10%.

Oh my gosh, you sound so helpful. Would you mind if I PMed you?! Haha.

Dodocogon

Silver

Postby Dodocogon » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:32 pm

did I really just have to enter a captcha to unsubscribe from FSU's email list

dclaw93

Bronze

Postby dclaw93 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:35 pm

Dodocogon wrote:did I really just have to enter a captcha to unsubscribe from FSU's email list

Just did the same thing lol. That extra effort required probably keeps a decent number of people from unsubscribing :roll:

Leliana

Bronze

Postby Leliana » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:43 pm

dclaw93 wrote:
Dodocogon wrote:did I really just have to enter a captcha to unsubscribe from FSU's email list

Just did the same thing lol. That extra effort required probably keeps a decent number of people from unsubscribing :roll:

My least favorite are the ones that don't have an unsubscribe button but require you to email them instead. :x

BruiseWillis

Bronze

Postby BruiseWillis » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:03 pm

+1, what nerve

poptart123

Silver

Postby poptart123 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:25 pm

BruiseWillis wrote:

+1, what nerve

Adcomm 1: "They might click unsubscribe by mistake, so let's make them enter a series of random characters."

Adcomm 2: "Good thinking Jill, that's why we will outrank UF this year!"

Baby Gaga

Bronze

Postby Baby Gaga » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:34 pm

BruiseWillis wrote:

+1, what nerve

I was so mad! at the highest of dudgeon

laqueredup

Bronze

Postby laqueredup » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:47 pm

poptart123 wrote:
BruiseWillis wrote:

+1, what nerve

Adcomm 1: "They might click unsubscribe by mistake, so let's make them enter a series of random characters."

+1
Maybe its really HYS pulling a frog prince thing...
"If you are courteous and polite to a lower ranked school, that will prove you aren't an entitled millenial and we will admit you"
Last edited by laqueredup on Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kopetz

Bronze

Postby Kopetz » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:55 pm

laqueredup wrote:
poptart123 wrote:
BruiseWillis wrote:

+1, what nerve

+1
Maybe its really HYS pulling a frog prince thing...
"If you are courteous and polite to a lower ranked school, that will prove you aren't an entitled millenial and we will admit you"
guess I failed that test...

tbf it's probably best to be courteous and polite anyway because the admissions assistant collecting those unsubscribe survey responses doesn't set their mass mailing policy

laqueredup

Bronze

Postby laqueredup » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:58 pm

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:23 pm

You know what would be nice? If law schools pushed their deposit dates/decisions deadlines back a week or two this year based on how crazy slow this cycle has been going. At this rate, I have a feeling I'll find out about scholarships 1 day before I have to decide where I'm going and will be left with little to no time to negotiate...

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:54 pm

airwrecka wrote:You know what would be nice? If law schools pushed their deposit dates/decisions deadlines back a week or two this year based on how crazy slow this cycle has been going. At this rate, I have a feeling I'll find out about scholarships 1 day before I have to decide where I'm going and will be left with little to no time to negotiate...

I feel like that's all part of their scheme! Lol

charles117

Bronze

Postby charles117 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:36 am

somehow I think this will be a quiet week

mtf612

Bronze

Postby mtf612 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:45 am

Applied at the end of December. Admits six, one rejection. Still waiting on twelve responses and one hold. This cycle is slow, miserable, painful torture.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:47 am

So glad my cycle is over. Still pending at UCLA but already decided where I'm going.

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:51 am

New law school rankings are out! GULC dropped out of the T14.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?