TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

Alexandros

Platinum

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby Alexandros » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:05 pm

sorence wrote:
"I don't know how to tell if someone posts on this subreddit, but you can spot a TLSer by the stench of alcohol and palpable aura of despair that surrounds them."

source: https://www.reddit.com/r/lawschooladmis ... _beast_or/

well, they've got me pegged.

Well, I... cannot argue with that.

LegallyBlackJD

Bronze

Postby LegallyBlackJD » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:32 am

I received my first LS acceptance today from a regional school! Still waiting on 9 others including T14s. Anyone else receive their first acceptance and think to themselves, "Holy sh-t. I'm going to be a lawyer!"

Because that's exactly what I was thinking.

Instrumental

Silver

Postby Instrumental » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:22 am

LegallyBlackJD wrote:I received my first LS acceptance today from a regional school! Still waiting on 9 others including T14s. Anyone else receive their first acceptance and think to themselves, "Holy sh-t. I'm going to be a lawyer!"

Yeah I don't think my brain has fully processed this and I'm going to have some delayed reaction that manifests in August as a seizure.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:29 am

Instrumental wrote:
LegallyBlackJD wrote:I received my first LS acceptance today from a regional school! Still waiting on 9 others including T14s. Anyone else receive their first acceptance and think to themselves, "Holy sh-t. I'm going to be a lawyer!"

Yeah I don't think my brain has fully processed this and I'm going to have some delayed reaction that manifests in August as a seizure.

Yeah, my first acceptance was a t14 and my second was a t20 full ride, and I was like "well, there's no way I can back out of this now!" Super crazy going to law school when your parents aren't college graduates so I feel like this whole thing is a dream

appind

Gold

Postby appind » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:55 am

Alexandros wrote:
sorence wrote:
"I don't know how to tell if someone posts on this subreddit, but you can spot a TLSer by the stench of alcohol and palpable aura of despair that surrounds them."

source: https://www.reddit.com/r/lawschooladmis ... _beast_or/

well, they've got me pegged.

Well, I... cannot argue with that.

another gem. "If the person you are talking to can't shut the fuck up about themselves because they are so great: TLS poster."

how come only such a tiny minority posts on TLS and most people matriculate to top schools without having anything to do with TLS?

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:49 am

Yup lol got a full ride to a regional school and thought the same thing.

LegallyBlackJD

Bronze

Postby LegallyBlackJD » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:44 pm

chargers21 wrote:
Instrumental wrote:

Yeah, my first acceptance was a t14 and my second was a t20 full ride, and I was like "well, there's no way I can back out of this now!" Super crazy going to law school when your parents aren't college graduates so I feel like this whole thing is a dream

+11111111

LegallyBlackJD

Bronze

Postby LegallyBlackJD » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:45 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:

Yup lol got a full ride to a regional school and thought the same thing.

I am hoping I got a full ride there. Waiting on the actual letter via snail mail. Let us pray.

waldorf

Gold

Postby waldorf » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:05 pm

If y'all had a full ride scholarship and just enough savings to skate by for COL in law school, but would basically have depleted your savings by graduation, would you take out COL loans or use your savings? Use your savings for 1L and 2L and then take out loans, leaving between 15-20k in the bank and only having around 15k in loans? Totally deplete your savings but have no loans? (This would assume your summer positions don't pay enough to fund anything more than just your summer living expenses).

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:34 pm

bwaldorf wrote:If y'all had a full ride scholarship and just enough savings to skate by for COL in law school, but would basically have depleted your savings by graduation, would you take out COL loans or use your savings? Use your savings for 1L and 2L and then take out loans, leaving between 15-20k in the bank and only having around 15k in loans? Totally deplete your savings but have no loans? (This would assume your summer positions don't pay enough to fund anything more than just your summer living expenses).

Yay, a Financial Analysis Question!

Two factors at play here:

1) rates of change on money (loan interest and savings interest)
2) Length of time

A few necessary questions:

1) How much on average has your savings earned you since you've had them (and do you expect them to continue earning the same amount)
2) Are we assuming just Stafford unsubsidized loans when discussing loans? at 15k/year it sounds like it

I'm going to assume you haven't been making/anticipate continuing to make 5% on your savings so I say option 2 (or a variation on it) is best. For practical purposes you need to maintain a certain amount of savings for emergencies, so I would come up with a number (honestly 5K is probably enough, with 10K being a very safe net) then use your savings until you hit that number. After that take out what ever you need in loans past that (you don't need to even fully fund your last year with loans, you can just take out 5K). Your best bet is to spend as little time having as little money as possible accruing 5% interest that you will eventually have to pay on top of your loans.

Now if you have a Money Market somewhere making 10% or something then fuck it, take out as much as possible and put some of your scholarship repayment in the bank making that 10%.

Nightwing

Bronze

Postby Nightwing » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:59 pm

Someone be brutally honest with me. I'm a January candidate and have a lot of schools who still haven't gotten back to me in any way... not even for interviews. The few that have just waitlisted me. Is this really such a slow cycle that March might still have plenty of acceptances or am I pretty much doomed to waitlist city (looking at past cycles, March doesn't look pretty for T14 acceptances)? Everyone's talking about scholarships offers and negotiations now. I feel left out.

nimbus cloud

Silver

Postby nimbus cloud » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:01 am

Nightwing wrote:Someone be brutally honest with me. I'm a January candidate and have a lot of schools who still haven't gotten back to me in any way... not even for interviews. The few that have just waitlisted me. Is this really such a slow cycle that March might still have plenty of acceptances or am I pretty much doomed to waitlist city (looking at past cycles, March doesn't look pretty for T14 acceptances)? Everyone's talking about scholarships offers and negotiations now. I feel left out.

I cannot predict your cycle, but FWIW I applied in early January to about ten schools (all T20) and heard back from all but two. So ~80% response rate so far.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:18 am

It depends on your numbers. I'm a January applicant with worse numbers than nimbus and Im still waiting for most T14's.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:26 am

When/how do I breakout of the applicants bubble into the true shitposting that is TLS?

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:35 am

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:When/how do I breakout of the applicants bubble into the true shitposting that is TLS?

Take a gander at the social lounge

alpha kenny body

Gold

Postby alpha kenny body » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:08 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:When/how do I breakout of the applicants bubble into the true shitposting that is TLS?

Rigo and I would be happy to answer any questions. There's also a lounge thread dedicated to getting up to speed on lounge jokes, etc. may God have mercy on your soul.

hbdash

New

Postby hbdash » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:30 pm

I got waitlisted at Penn on Friday and in the email they say: "You are welcome to submit additional materials, such as an updated resume, an additional two page essay on a topic of your choice, or one additional letter of recommendation." Is that additional two page essay how schools refer to a LOCI or is it something else entirely, because there was no mention of a LOCI in the email? Like in other schools' waitlist emails do they specifically ask for a LOCI?

alpha kenny body

Gold

Postby alpha kenny body » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:51 pm

hbdash wrote:I got waitlisted at Penn on Friday and in the email they say: "You are welcome to submit additional materials, such as an updated resume, an additional two page essay on a topic of your choice, or one additional letter of recommendation." Is that additional two page essay how schools refer to a LOCI or is it something else entirely, because there was no mention of a LOCI in the email? Like in other schools' waitlist emails do they specifically ask for a LOCI?

Send an LOCI first, then send the essay a month later, and state in the email you're attaching the essay to, that you're still interested.

hbdash

New

Postby hbdash » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:07 pm

fips tedora wrote:
hbdash wrote:I got waitlisted at Penn on Friday and in the email they say: "You are welcome to submit additional materials, such as an updated resume, an additional two page essay on a topic of your choice, or one additional letter of recommendation." Is that additional two page essay how schools refer to a LOCI or is it something else entirely, because there was no mention of a LOCI in the email? Like in other schools' waitlist emails do they specifically ask for a LOCI?

Send an LOCI first, then send the essay a month later, and state in the email you're attaching the essay to, that you're still interested.

Well the email said to reply to the email if I want to remain on the waitlist so I replied briefly that I do. When should I send the LOCI?

alpha kenny body

Gold

Postby alpha kenny body » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:09 pm

hbdash wrote:
fips tedora wrote:

Well the email said to reply to the email if I want to remain on the waitlist so I replied briefly that I do. When should I send the LOCI?

Well, then I'd wait a few weeks, and then attach the essay to the email with the body of the email being your LOCI.

hbdash

New

Postby hbdash » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:29 pm

fips tedora wrote:
hbdash wrote:
fips tedora wrote:

Well, then I'd wait a few weeks, and then attach the essay to the email with the body of the email being your LOCI.

That's actually a very good idea! Thanks so much!

LegallyBlackJD

Bronze

Postby LegallyBlackJD » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:03 am

Would like to fast forward to the end of April. I just wanna know where I'm gonna end up goingggggggggg

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:05 am

LegallyBlackJD wrote:Would like to fast forward to the end of April. I just wanna know where I'm gonna end up goingggggggggg

Yeah it feels amazing to know where lol.

Instrumental

Silver

Postby Instrumental » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:40 am

I'd rather all the schools I've applied to fast forward their decision to tomorrow. esp. NYU and Stanford. Got into Georgetown and I'm very happy about that, now I need my reaches to crush my delusions of grandeur so I can move on.

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:15 pm

LegallyBlackJD wrote:Would like to fast forward to the end of April. I just wanna know where I'm gonna end up goingggggggggg

Amen. Quite honestly, I think my husband is even more anxious for me to decide than I am. He was like "I thought you'd have this figured out be February!"....:roll:

I'm excited because I'm going to my first ASW next weekend! I think it will make everything seem more "real." The only law school I've been to is the one at my undergrad university :P

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?