TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

10
10
83%
9
0
No votes
8
1
8%
7
0
No votes
6
0
No votes
5
0
No votes
4
0
No votes
3
1
8%
2
0
No votes
1
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 12

User avatar
airwrecka

Silver
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby airwrecka » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:26 pm

The idea of beginning the negotiation process for schollys (whenever I actually hear initial offers from schools...which at the rate this cycle is going feels like never :roll:) is already stressing me out. Reading previous years' threads has made it abundantly clear that we will all be trying to scramble at the last minute as deadlines are looming. Ughhh why couldn't they give us more time for these things?! I feel like I will be living in my e-mail inbox come April.

Lawschool305

Bronze
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:34 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby Lawschool305 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:49 pm

shotgunheist wrote:How do I completely ban George Mason from my google ads? I'm not kidding. It's literally the only thing that plays before videos on youtube and it's infuriating.


It is sad how much I relate to this post.

User avatar
Instrumental

Silver
Posts: 1393
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:08 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby Instrumental » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:55 pm

I have Ad Block Pro with Firefox. Deals with all that stuff.

User avatar
shotgunheist

Bronze
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:38 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby shotgunheist » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:02 pm

Instrumental wrote:I have Ad Block Pro with Firefox. Deals with all that stuff.


my phone is the problem unfortunately. my adblock on it doesn't catch the youtube app.

User avatar
Mr_Chukes

Silver
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby Mr_Chukes » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:05 pm

shotgunheist wrote:
Instrumental wrote:I have Ad Block Pro with Firefox. Deals with all that stuff.


my phone is the problem unfortunately. my adblock on it doesn't catch the youtube app.

I have YouTube red so I forget YouTube even has ads honestly.

User avatar
charles117

Bronze
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:00 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby charles117 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:08 pm

Instrumental wrote:I have Ad Block Pro with Firefox. Deals with all that stuff.

+1

Keilz

Gold
Posts: 2316
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:35 am

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby Keilz » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:10 pm

I get constant UVA ads on Instagram and facebook

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby Rigo » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:12 pm

Keilz wrote:I get constant UVA ads on Instagram and facebook

That's a wee bit different.

Keilz

Gold
Posts: 2316
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:35 am

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby Keilz » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:20 pm

Rigo wrote:
Keilz wrote:I get constant UVA ads on Instagram and facebook

That's a wee bit different.


Howso?

Earlskies

Bronze
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:17 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby Earlskies » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:28 pm

poptart123 wrote:My phone just autocorrected Spicey to MS9

Spicey needs a big boy nap.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby Rigo » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:35 pm

Keilz wrote:
Rigo wrote:
Keilz wrote:I get constant UVA ads on Instagram and facebook

That's a wee bit different.

Howso?

Because UVA is a great school and George Mason is a desperate TTT? Idg what you're missing here.

User avatar
R. Jeeves

Gold
Posts: 1980
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 7:54 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby R. Jeeves » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:44 pm

Rigo wrote:
Keilz wrote:
Rigo wrote:
Keilz wrote:I get constant UVA ads on Instagram and facebook

That's a wee bit different.

Howso?

Because UVA is a great school and George Mason is a desperate TTT? Idg what you're missing here.

lol they were literally named ASS Law. still gets me

Keilz

Gold
Posts: 2316
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:35 am

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby Keilz » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:55 pm

R. Jeeves wrote:
Rigo wrote:
Keilz wrote:
Rigo wrote:
Keilz wrote:I get constant UVA ads on Instagram and facebook

That's a wee bit different.

Howso?

Because UVA is a great school and George Mason is a desperate TTT? Idg what you're missing here.

lol they were literally named ASS Law. still gets me


Yes, but they are still using the same in your face method of advertising.

User avatar
Shakawkaw

Gold
Posts: 4807
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby Shakawkaw » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:00 pm

Stylnator wrote:Minnesota has a really nice car magnet + sticker, but the best is the nalgene from northeastern. It's my daily water bottle now


+1 to the Northeastern nalgene being my office bottle.

Also yes:
S.Picquery wrote:Getting real jealous of all the people with parents who are going to help them with expenses.

Hennessy

Gold
Posts: 2516
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:54 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby Hennessy » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:35 pm

Anyone wanna critique my LOCI? I will pay you in praise and I will critique anything you want me to.

User avatar
jjcorvino

Silver
Posts: 1453
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:49 am

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby jjcorvino » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:51 pm

How should I begin negotiating scholarships? I have a significant offer from Michigan and an ok one from Duke. Should I use those offers to negotiate (along with my WUSTL full ride) with georgetown and then work up? My ultimate goal is to negotiate up to get money from Penn and Columbia.

User avatar
chargers21

Gold
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby chargers21 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:56 pm

jjcorvino wrote:How should I begin negotiating scholarships? I have a significant offer from Michigan and an ok one from Duke. Should I use those offers to negotiate (along with my WUSTL full ride) with georgetown and then work up? My ultimate goal is to negotiate up to get money from Penn and Columbia.

+1, and could anyone provide an example of a successful negotiation email?

User avatar
airwrecka

Silver
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby airwrecka » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:58 pm

chargers21 wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:How should I begin negotiating scholarships? I have a significant offer from Michigan and an ok one from Duke. Should I use those offers to negotiate (along with my WUSTL full ride) with georgetown and then work up? My ultimate goal is to negotiate up to get money from Penn and Columbia.

+1, and could anyone provide an example of a successful negotiation email?


I have the same questions, but I think the best place to get advice is in the Financial Aid forum or Ask a Law Student/Graduate forums. All of us 0Ls are in the same boat, we need advice from the people who have been through this already ;)

User avatar
RParadela

Silver
Posts: 858
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:04 am

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby RParadela » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:14 pm

There was a really helpful thread on negotiating, but I can try to paraphrase best as I can. Basically, divide the schools into tiers like

CCN
Remaining T13/14
T20

To negotiate up, you need to be coming with a full-ride or close to it from the lower-tier school and you need to have a small offer or no offer from the school you are targeting. IE. Full-ride at WUSTL might get you a bump at sticker or 50k at Cornell

To negotiate peers, any offers that is bigger than your target schools will be competitive.

To negotiate down, you need an approximately equal worth scholarship to upgrade your target. IE. Butler from Columbia can be used to negotiate with a similar amount of $ from UVA.

But, it seems like schools are less willing to negotiate than before and many schools are playing hardball with scholarship negotiations

User avatar
Bob loblaw law blog

Bronze
Posts: 210
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:51 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby Bob loblaw law blog » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:46 pm

RParadela wrote:There was a really helpful thread on negotiating, but I can try to paraphrase best as I can. Basically, divide the schools into tiers like

CCN
Remaining T13/14
T20

To negotiate up, you need to be coming with a full-ride or close to it from the lower-tier school and you need to have a small offer or no offer from the school you are targeting. IE. Full-ride at WUSTL might get you a bump at sticker or 50k at Cornell

To negotiate peers, any offers that is bigger than your target schools will be competitive.

To negotiate down, you need an approximately equal worth scholarship to upgrade your target. IE. Butler from Columbia can be used to negotiate with a similar amount of $ from UVA.

But, it seems like schools are less willing to negotiate than before and many schools are playing hardball with scholarship negotiations


+1 both of my top choices refused to negotiate or indicated up front they had no intention to. Really sucks.

User avatar
sorence

Bronze
Posts: 357
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:43 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby sorence » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:26 pm

"I don't know how to tell if someone posts on this subreddit, but you can spot a TLSer by the stench of alcohol and palpable aura of despair that surrounds them."

source: https://www.reddit.com/r/lawschooladmis ... _beast_or/

well, they've got me pegged.

Pozzo

Gold
Posts: 1907
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:36 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby Pozzo » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:28 pm

sorence wrote:
"I don't know how to tell if someone posts on this subreddit, but you can spot a TLSer by the stench of alcohol and palpable aura of despair that surrounds them."

source: https://www.reddit.com/r/lawschooladmis ... _beast_or/

well, they've got me pegged.

Bunch of drunk conceded ponies.

User avatar
SybillAnnDorsett

Gold
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:59 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:03 pm

This may be a stupid question, but say la vee!! Lmao .

If a school offers you a scholarship, does accepting that scholarship constitute binding decision to attend? Are you unable to withdraw/forfeit deposit for another school if you're taken off of a waitlist in the summer?

goldenbear2020

Silver
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:47 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby goldenbear2020 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:06 pm

mm2368 wrote:This may be a stupid question, but say la vee!! Lmao .

If a school offers you a scholarship, does accepting that scholarship constitute binding decision to attend? Are you unable to withdraw/forfeit deposit for another school if you're taken off of a waitlist in the summer?

This article may be informative:
https://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/jd- ... ruth-power

Usually accepting the scholarship means you have to withdraw all acceptances and scholarship offers received at that time, however you can keep pending WLs in the hopes of getting in later.

Some scholarship offers may still demand that you withdraw from all schools including those with pending decisions.

User avatar
RParadela

Silver
Posts: 858
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:04 am

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby RParadela » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:01 pm

sorence wrote:
"I don't know how to tell if someone posts on this subreddit, but you can spot a TLSer by the stench of alcohol and palpable aura of despair that surrounds them."

source: https://www.reddit.com/r/lawschooladmis ... _beast_or/

well, they've got me pegged.


At least we don't smell like cheap liquor. $100 bottles and up only, we aren't poor



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 14 guests