TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:08 pm

JC2017 wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
Npret wrote:
MrJD2020 wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:I'm still not entirely sure how schools are calculating COL...for instance Vandy's COL per year is like $25k....I live in Manhattan NY right now and I barely spend $1800/month on food + living expenses (i live with a roommate) and I live/eat/drink like a king.....

Like the king of Bhutan, maybe.

I live in Manhattan too. And have two roommates. And spend $1,800 on rent and utilities alone.

Npret wrote:
Where in Manhattan because I find this hard to believe. If true please share how you manage it.

LOLOL King of Bhutan. Dead.

I live with a roommate in UES (not the good part, closer to 1st Ave).

Rent: $1150 + utilites ($50ish)
Travel: Monthly metrocard supplied by work. I live right next to the new Q line that opened up so I literally never have to pay for cabs anymore.
Food: $60/week on groceries. I hardly ever eat out or go out on Weekdays.

That leaves almost $350-$400 per month on going out on weekends and I usually stick to Lower East Side/Alphabet City so that extra $400 lets me live extremely comfortably haha

You live with a roommate in a one bedroom? Walk up? No doorman?

Yup! Sweet deal because the living room is massive, so we walled off half of it to make a second room

Jersey City is where it's at!

Jersey City is awesome! However I was Manhattan or Bust when I decided to come back to work in NYC haha

JC2017

New

Postby JC2017 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:11 pm

JC2017 wrote:
Npret wrote:
MrJD2020 wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:I'm still not entirely sure how schools are calculating COL...for instance Vandy's COL per year is like $25k....I live in Manhattan NY right now and I barely spend $1800/month on food + living expenses (i live with a roommate) and I live/eat/drink like a king.....

Like the king of Bhutan, maybe.

I live in Manhattan too. And have two roommates. And spend $1,800 on rent and utilities alone.

Npret wrote:
Where in Manhattan because I find this hard to believe. If true please share how you manage it.

LOLOL King of Bhutan. Dead.

I live with a roommate in UES (not the good part, closer to 1st Ave).

Rent: $1150 + utilites ($50ish)
Travel: Monthly metrocard supplied by work. I live right next to the new Q line that opened up so I literally never have to pay for cabs anymore.
Food: $60/week on groceries. I hardly ever eat out or go out on Weekdays.

That leaves almost $350-$400 per month on going out on weekends and I usually stick to Lower East Side/Alphabet City so that extra $400 lets me live extremely comfortably haha

You live with a roommate in a one bedroom? Walk up? No doorman?

Yup! Sweet deal because the living room is massive, so we walled off half of it to make a second room

Jersey City is where it's at!

Jersey City is awesome! However I was Manhattan or Bust when I decided to come back to work in NYC haha

Oh I hear ya, sooo many of my friends won't even consider the Jersey side of the Hudson. Gotta love that new Q line though. Makes getting over to the UES 1000 times easier.

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:31 pm

I really wanted to live in Jersey City but ultimately stayed at home to save money.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:32 pm

JC2017 wrote:Jersey City is where it's at!

Hahah yeah it's really underrated...as is Astoria, Queens. If you don't mind a couple of extra stops on the subway, you'll get so much bang for your buck in Queens.

JC2017

New

Postby JC2017 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:35 pm

I'm a big fan of Astoria. Great exhibit on Martin Scorsese at the Museum of Moving Image right now. Also the best beer garden in the city at Bohemian Hall, for all you lawyer types out there :wink:

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:35 pm

Emory really wants me to apply. They emailed me today and yesterday lol. Great school but I know I wouldn't end up practicing in the area.

jstans

Bronze

Postby jstans » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:37 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:Emory really wants me to apply. They emailed me today and yesterday lol. Great school but I know I wouldn't end up practicing in the area.

Same. Great school, not a fan of Atlanta in the least though.

JC2017

New

Postby JC2017 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:39 pm

Keilz wrote:I really wanted to live in Jersey City but ultimately stayed at home to save money.

Really depends on which neighborhood you end up in. Downtown/Grove Street you'll end up paying near Manhattan prices, but in the Heights I lived for several years at $600 a month, with 2 roommates (we all had our own bedrooms). Its a great neighborhood that I couldn't recommend more.

waldorf

Gold

Postby waldorf » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:41 pm

Kinda wanna retake and try to go to a T6.

Kinda want to get on with my life and it's hard for me to leave the Midwest for personal reasons.

Kinda confused as to what to do.

Kinda at the point in my current job where I'm gonna start putting Bailey's in my morning coffee.

Stylnator

Silver

Postby Stylnator » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:46 pm

bwaldorf wrote:Kinda wanna retake and try to go to a T6.

Kinda want to get on with my life and it's hard for me to leave the Midwest for personal reasons.

Kinda at the point in my current job where I'm gonna start putting Bailey's in my morning coffee.

Right there with you. I KNOW i should retake but the idea of spending another year not doing what I want (on top of studying) is worse than a nightmare.

the Bailey's idea isn't so terrible.

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:49 pm

bwaldorf wrote:

+ a million

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:49 pm

jstans wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:Emory really wants me to apply. They emailed me today and yesterday lol. Great school but I know I wouldn't end up practicing in the area.

Same. Great school, not a fan of Atlanta in the least though.

I might check out magic city though lol

waldorf

Gold

Postby waldorf » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:50 pm

Stylnator wrote:

Right there with you. I KNOW i should retake but the idea of spending another year not doing what I want (on top of studying) is worse than a nightmare.

Currently, I can graduate debt-free (or VERY close to it) and stay near my family (which, for undisclosed reasons, is really, really important to me). I want to work in STL or Chicago, so my current choice isn't a terrible option (WUSTL). But I can't help but think I could be limiting myself. :/

jstans

Bronze

Postby jstans » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:57 pm

Is anyone else at the point that they go on LSN just to see if people with similar stats got into higher schools/how much money they got? I know I shouldn't think about what could've been but it is so hard to resist.

Stylnator

Silver

Postby Stylnator » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:03 pm

bwaldorf wrote:
Stylnator wrote:

Currently, I can graduate debt-free (or VERY close to it) and stay near my family (which, for undisclosed reasons, is really, really important to me). I want to work in STL or Chicago, so my current choice isn't a terrible option (WUSTL). But I can't help but think I could be limiting myself. :/

You have to evaluate if you'll be left wondering 'what if'. Personally, WUSTL seems like a great option especially if you want to work in STL + be close to family (I'm assuming they're near there). Seems like a no brainer.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:03 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nightwing

Bronze

Postby Nightwing » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:04 pm

jstans wrote:Is anyone else at the point that they go on LSN just to see if people with similar stats got into higher schools/how much money they got? I know I shouldn't think about what could've been but it is so hard to resist.

I'm actually at the point where I stopped doing that and started avoiding every specific school thread. It saddens me too much seeing all the happy people complaining about scholarships while I would gladly lick the underside of a muddy boot just to get in.

waldorf

Gold

Postby waldorf » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:05 pm

Stylnator wrote:
bwaldorf wrote:
Stylnator wrote:

You have to evaluate if you'll be left wondering 'what if'. Personally, WUSTL seems like a great option especially if you want to work in STL + be close to family (I'm assuming they're near there). Seems like a no brainer.

I know, I know. And I don't really have any goals that would require a T14 or HYS or anything, unless I totally fail at law school, but I just don't know. I think I'm nervous about committing completely so I'm psyching myself out. Lol.

waldorf

Gold

Postby waldorf » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:07 pm

chargers21 wrote:
bwaldorf wrote:
Stylnator wrote:

I'm also from the midwest and hate the area but love my family and friends. Being WLed by the 2 t14 Chicago schools will be forcing me into a change of scenery that I really wanted anyways. I just wish I could bring all of my people with me. I'm also not wanting to limit myself at one of the t25 midwest schools.

Yeah, I have some personal situations right now that require my presence at home and it'd be really hard to deal with such things from the East or West Coast. Kinda wish I had retaken for NU or Michigan (even thought I hate the cold :P).

Stylnator

Silver

Postby Stylnator » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:11 pm

bwaldorf wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
bwaldorf wrote:
Stylnator wrote:

I'm also from the midwest and hate the area but love my family and friends. Being WLed by the 2 t14 Chicago schools will be forcing me into a change of scenery that I really wanted anyways. I just wish I could bring all of my people with me. I'm also not wanting to limit myself at one of the t25 midwest schools.

Yeah, I have some personal situations right now that require my presence at home and it'd be really hard to deal with such things from the East or West Coast. Kinda wish I had retaken for NU or Michigan (even thought I hate the cold :P).

Have you thought about June retake?

Stylnator

Silver

Postby Stylnator » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:13 pm

Nightwing wrote:
jstans wrote:Is anyone else at the point that they go on LSN just to see if people with similar stats got into higher schools/how much money they got? I know I shouldn't think about what could've been but it is so hard to resist.

I'm actually at the point where I stopped doing that and started avoiding every specific school thread. It saddens me too much seeing all the happy people complaining about scholarships while I would gladly lick the underside of a muddy boot just to get in.

I just went and did this and now I will be buying a box of donuts on the way home from work.

waldorf

Gold

Postby waldorf » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:18 pm

Stylnator wrote:
bwaldorf wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
bwaldorf wrote:
Stylnator wrote:

I considered it but my job is so that I'd have to take significant time off work to do significantly better, which would be easier in the summer. A September retake would be optimal but I don't want to sit out another year.

I think I'm just psyching myself out at this point, lol.

Stylnator

Silver

Postby Stylnator » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:22 pm

bwaldorf wrote:
Stylnator wrote:
bwaldorf wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
bwaldorf wrote:
Stylnator wrote:

I considered it but my job is so that I'd have to take significant time off work to do significantly better, which would be easier in the summer. A September retake would be optimal but I don't want to sit out another year.

Ok waldorf, you broke me. I will take that WUSTL burden off your hands. Hand it over.

Enjoy sept retake

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:23 pm

bwaldorf wrote:
Stylnator wrote:
bwaldorf wrote:
Stylnator wrote:

I know, I know. And I don't really have any goals that would require a T14 or HYS or anything, unless I totally fail at law school, but I just don't know. I think I'm nervous about committing completely so I'm psyching myself out. Lol.

+1 on psyching yourself out. I keep saying I'm 90% sure where I want to go..but deep down, I think I've known where I would probably end up from the beginning of the process. It's just scary to actually pull the trigger and commit

waldorf

Gold

Postby waldorf » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:24 pm

Stylnator wrote:
bwaldorf wrote:
Stylnator wrote:
bwaldorf wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
bwaldorf wrote:
Stylnator wrote:Right there with you. I KNOW i should retake but the idea of spending another year not doing what I want (on top of studying) is worse than a nightmare.

Ok waldorf, you broke me. I will take that WUSTL burden off your hands. Hand it over.

Enjoy sept retake

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?