TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

shotgunheist

Bronze

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby shotgunheist » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:50 pm

RParadela wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
RParadela wrote:$200 a month for food and drinks? Jesus H Christ. I spend that on drinks alone easily :shock:

No drinks for me, gonna be sober for law school lol.

That is a major mistake

Alcoholism is a required 1L class

JC2017

New

Postby JC2017 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:13 pm

Anyone else notice that the recent batches of schools sending application requests no longer contain "Unsubscribe" options? How rude! (although I'm convinced that unsubscribing from an email doesn't actually do anything, much like the close door button in an elevator or the walk button at crosswalks)

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:24 pm

I'm still not entirely sure how schools are calculating COL...for instance Vandy's COL per year is like $25k....I live in Manhattan NY right now and I barely spend $1800/month on food + living expenses (i live with a roommate) and I live/eat/drink like a king.....

Dodocogon

Silver

Postby Dodocogon » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:33 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:I'm still not entirely sure how schools are calculating COL...for instance Vandy's COL per year is like $25k....I live in Manhattan NY right now and I barely spend $1800/month on food + living expenses (i live with a roommate) and I live/eat/drink like a king.....

Side note, I live in Manhattan, KS and spend like, $700. LS COL is gonna be a rude awakening.

But to your point, yeah I don't get some of those. Like for the Boston schools, $18/$19k while St. Louis is ~$22k? Nah.

Stylnator

Silver

Postby Stylnator » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:34 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:I'm still not entirely sure how schools are calculating COL...for instance Vandy's COL per year is like $25k....I live in Manhattan NY right now and I barely spend $1800/month on food + living expenses (i live with a roommate) and I live/eat/drink like a king.....

Yeah all these different COLs from schools seem way off. And it doesn't help that some schools calculate 9 months while others don't. It'd be nice to have an LSN for something like COL in different places

dclaw93

Bronze

Postby dclaw93 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:36 pm

Dodocogon wrote:

Side note, I live in Manhattan, KS and spend like, $700. LS COL is gonna be a rude awakening.

But to your point, yeah I don't get some of those. Like for the Boston schools, $18/$19k while St. Louis is ~$22k? Nah.

For most (every?) school you can find info on their website of what all they include in their COL calculations. Just google X Law School cost of living. I think this is where a lot of the differences are coming from, e.g some schools including health insurance in the calculation, some using 8 months instead of 9, etc. Looking at this breakdown should help you figure out what a realistic COL will actually be.

S.Picquery

Silver

Postby S.Picquery » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:37 pm

Stylnator wrote:

Yeah all these different COLs from schools seem way off. And it doesn't help that some schools calculate 9 months while others don't. It'd be nice to have an LSN for something like COL in different places

I think it also might just be wiggle-room. The schools have to know that you're working on a 39 month schedule from LS start to the bar. Perhaps some have those expenses built in?

jstans

Bronze

Postby jstans » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:38 pm

Stylnator wrote:

Geez that would be nice if there was something LSN-esque where people would put realistic numbers. I understand schools probably highball their estimates, but there should be numbers for more abnormal students, such as those living in a one bedroom apt with their SO rather than a larger apt with multiple roommates. Law school admissions gods, please make this happen.

alpha kenny body

Gold

Postby alpha kenny body » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:40 pm

this cycle is strange AF

jstans

Bronze

Postby jstans » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:44 pm

Totally insignificant question, but what are the best freebies law schools give out? I got an email from W&L a few days ago to fill out a one question survey for a free t shirt and that was kinda dope. What do other schools do, in y'alls experience?

tuesdayninja

Bronze

Postby tuesdayninja » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:45 pm

jstans wrote:Totally insignificant question, but what are the best freebies law schools give out? I got an email from W&L a few days ago to fill out a one question survey for a free t shirt and that was kinda dope. What do other schools do, in y'alls experience?

I got a shirt from WashU last year, a nalgene from Northeastern, and a sticker from Vandy so far.

Stylnator

Silver

Postby Stylnator » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:46 pm

tuesdayninja wrote:
jstans wrote:Totally insignificant question, but what are the best freebies law schools give out? I got an email from W&L a few days ago to fill out a one question survey for a free t shirt and that was kinda dope. What do other schools do, in y'alls experience?

I got a shirt from WashU last year, a nalgene from Northeastern, and a sticker from Vandy so far.

Minnesota has a really nice car magnet + sticker, but the best is the nalgene from northeastern. It's my daily water bottle now

jstans

Bronze

Postby jstans » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:50 pm

tuesdayninja wrote:

Dang, my Vandy WL deprived me of a sticker.

sorence

Bronze

Postby sorence » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:53 pm

Stylnator wrote:
tuesdayninja wrote:

Minnesota has a really nice car magnet + sticker, but the best is the nalgene from northeastern. It's my daily water bottle now

+1 NUSL was the first school I heard back from and I naively thought that all schools would give me something equally useful. I love that nalgene so much that it competes w/my hydroflask (much smaller in volume) for daily use.

goldenbear2020

Silver

Postby goldenbear2020 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:55 pm

jstans

Bronze

Postby jstans » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:56 pm

sorence wrote:
Stylnator wrote:
tuesdayninja wrote:

+1 NUSL was the first school I heard back from and I naively thought that all schools would give me something equally useful. I love that nalgene so much that it competes w/my hydroflask (much smaller in volume) for daily use.

I'm about to start making my rounds at ASW's and I would not be upset if schools felt the need to give out some more freebies to their admits.

shotgunheist

Bronze

Postby shotgunheist » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:58 pm

I like my portable phone charger from IU

Npret

Gold

Postby Npret » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:59 pm

Where in Manhattan because I find this hard to believe. If true please share how you manage it.

amta

Platinum

Postby amta » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:00 pm

ive gotten a sticker from like 85% of the schools i was accepted at

MrJD2020

Bronze

Postby MrJD2020 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:01 pm

Like the king of Bhutan, maybe.

I live in Manhattan too. And have two roommates. And spend $1,800 on rent and utilities alone.

theothercat

Bronze

Postby theothercat » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:05 pm

For some reason, I got so excited when I received my NYU Class of 2020 post-it notes in their little welcome packet. Love post-it notes.

The WashU t-shirt is very nice as well.

forum_user

Silver

Postby forum_user » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:06 pm

MrJD2020 wrote:

Like the king of Bhutan, maybe.

I live in Manhattan too. And have two roommates. And spend $1,800 on rent and utilities alone.

Hell yeah I would pay $1800/mo to be the fucking Dragon King

LegallyBlackJD

Bronze

Postby LegallyBlackJD » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:07 pm

jstans wrote:I thought the waiting game was the worst part, turns out the "how the hell am I going to pay for this and still be able to survive" game is far more stressful.

fr. fr. fr. -_-

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:09 pm

Law schools overrated anyway

no movement for weeks

amta

Platinum

Postby amta » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:10 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:Law schools overrated anyway

no movement for weeks

and from the woodwork, something wicked this way walks.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?