TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

StopLawying

Silver

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby StopLawying » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:05 pm

Filling out FAFSA now and unsure whether to include parental info. I know there's no way I qualify for need-based aid, this is solely for loans. Anyone know whether I should include this info or not? I know some schools require parental info for FAFSA, even though you're considered independent. Please dont quote.

jstans

Bronze

Postby jstans » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:33 am

Are there any online tools that can tell you how much debt is too much for a given law school? Like some sort of calculator that takes employment outcomes, salaries, degree portability, etc. into account with your personal funds to tell you what the value of a certain law school is? I've been struggling with my analysis of debt numbers and want to find a simple, dumbed-down way to tell if a given law school is worth the debt. My current #1 choice would set me back a good amount of future income and that has triggered the financial anxiety within me. Looking for something beyond mere debt calculation that could actually assign some abstract quantifier of value to schools.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:36 am

jstans wrote:Are there any online tools that can tell you how much debt is too much for a given law school? Like some sort of calculator that takes employment outcomes, salaries, degree portability, etc. into account with your personal funds to tell you what the value of a certain law school is? I've been struggling with my analysis of debt numbers and want to find a simple, dumbed-down way to tell if a given law school is worth the debt. My current #1 choice would set me back a good amount of future income and that has triggered the financial anxiety within me. Looking for something beyond mere debt calculation that could actually assign some abstract quantifier of value to schools.

Make a Choosing thread.

Kaziende

Bronze

Postby Kaziende » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:38 am

jstans wrote:Are there any online tools that can tell you how much debt is too much for a given law school? Like some sort of calculator that takes employment outcomes, salaries, degree portability, etc. into account with your personal funds to tell you what the value of a certain law school is? I've been struggling with my analysis of debt numbers and want to find a simple, dumbed-down way to tell if a given law school is worth the debt. My current #1 choice would set me back a good amount of future income and that has triggered the financial anxiety within me. Looking for something beyond mere debt calculation that could actually assign some abstract quantifier of value to schools.

Whether a certain school is "worth" a certain amount of debt is a subjective, personal valuation depending on factors that can't really be captured by an online calculator, like for example your tolerance for risk. I don't think there is an easy, objective answer in most cases, except at the extremes (CCN for free, Cooley @ sticker, etc)

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:39 am

Kaziende wrote:

Whether a certain school is "worth" a certain amount of debt is a subjective, personal valuation depending on factors that can't really be captured by an online calculator, like for example your tolerance for risk. I don't think there is an easy, objective answer in most cases, except at the extremes (CCN for free, Cooley @ sticker, etc)

U need to retake Kaziende

R. Jeeves

Gold

Postby R. Jeeves » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:45 am

New Poll

Kopetz

Bronze

Postby Kopetz » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:49 am

Kaziende wrote:

+180. Also, there's no good way to "average" outcomes for most schools given that take-home pay can vary radically depending on sector (biglaw/PI/gov/etc,) and differences in market rate salaries and COL across regions. The calculation starts to make more sense if you have a specific occupational goal in mind: your debt tolerance will be higher if you're 100% committed to NY/DC biglaw than if you're planning to become a public defender or work at a small family firm outside a major market.

jstans

Bronze

Postby jstans » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:55 am

Kopetz wrote:
Kaziende wrote:

+180. Also, there's no good way to "average" outcomes for most schools given that take-home pay can vary radically depending on sector (biglaw/PI/gov/etc,) and differences in market rate salaries and COL across regions. The calculation starts to make more sense if you have a specific occupational goal in mind: your debt tolerance will be higher if you're 100% committed to NY/DC biglaw than if you're planning to become a public defender or work at a small family firm outside a major market.

That's true. I'm pretty sure I want to do biglaw so that should help me narrow down the math. I'm making an excel file to help me see this decision more clearly where I can create an index score for a lot of given variables to make a more abstract value quantifier. I'll post that file as a template for whoever wants it once I can get all the kinks worked out if anyone wants that. I guess this is what happens when the world of finance gets boring and takes a backseat to law school goals, data has taken on a whole new meaning to me.

EDIT: I can upload it as a template if anyone wants their brain to run in circles while looking at a file that may or may not help anyone with any decision.

R. Jeeves

Gold

Postby R. Jeeves » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:07 am

jstans wrote:That's true. I'm pretty sure I want to do biglaw so that should help me narrow down the math. I'm making an excel file to help me see this decision more clearly where I can create an index score for a lot of given variables to make a more abstract value quantifier. I'll post that file as a template for whoever wants it once I can get all the kinks worked out if anyone wants that. I guess this is what happens when the world of finance gets boring and takes a backseat to law school goals, data has taken on a whole new meaning to me.

EDIT: I can upload it as a template if anyone wants their brain to run in circles while looking at a file that may or may not help anyone with any decision.

id be interested in this file

Bob loblaw law blog

Bronze

Postby Bob loblaw law blog » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:49 pm

R. Jeeves wrote:
jstans wrote:That's true. I'm pretty sure I want to do biglaw so that should help me narrow down the math. I'm making an excel file to help me see this decision more clearly where I can create an index score for a lot of given variables to make a more abstract value quantifier. I'll post that file as a template for whoever wants it once I can get all the kinks worked out if anyone wants that. I guess this is what happens when the world of finance gets boring and takes a backseat to law school goals, data has taken on a whole new meaning to me.

id be interested in this file

+1

Kaziende

Bronze

Postby Kaziende » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:19 pm

Rigo wrote:U need to retake Kaziende

<3

curry1

Silver

Postby curry1 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:23 pm

TTTs are ramping up efforts in the leadup to March pseudo-deadlines. Annoying amount of e-mail volume from random law schools.

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:29 pm

curry1 wrote:TTTs are ramping up efforts in the leadup to March pseudo-deadlines. Annoying amount of e-mail volume from random law schools.

The constant moving of deadlines always seems so desperate.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:30 pm

jjcorvino wrote:
curry1 wrote:TTTs are ramping up efforts in the leadup to March pseudo-deadlines. Annoying amount of e-mail volume from random law schools.

Yup! has anyone else had any schools call them and ask them to apply?

gizmo1024

Bronze

Postby gizmo1024 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:35 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:

Got a call from Liberty last week. I didn't answer, but I looked up the number. Their number is listed as spam on Google- so sad.

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:38 pm

I don't understand the goal. Do they think we are playing some sort of admissions chicken game with them?

"I won't apply for your very special scholarship until I receive 11 emails about it and you push back the deadline."

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:40 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:

No voicemails but I typically don't answer phone numbers but I don't know so not sure if they're calling but not leaving a message. Now that you mention it though, I have noticed an uptick in random numbers calling me lately.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:48 pm

ashrice13 wrote:I don't understand the goal. Do they think we are playing some sort of admissions chicken game with them?

"I won't apply for your very special scholarship until I receive 11 emails about it and you push back the deadline."

Yup exactly that it does not make it more appealing. I actually do pick up calls because I am waiting on some schools, but yea I got a call from Trinity Law school urging me to apply because I would get a full ride lol.

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:49 pm

gizmo1024 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:

Got a call from Liberty last week. I didn't answer, but I looked up the number. Their number is listed as spam on Google- so sad.

I got a call from Cardozo law (I think, or maybe Charleston? It was a C name). They asked if I wanted to hear more about the school and asked if I planned to apply. I politely declined.

Pozzo

Gold

Postby Pozzo » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:57 pm

Last edited by Pozzo on Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shakawkaw

Gold

Postby Shakawkaw » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:53 pm

Rigo wrote:
Kaziende wrote:

U need to retake Kaziende

This.

curry1

Silver

Postby curry1 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:20 pm

I just got a solicitation e-mail from GULC ... this is sad TTT behavior.

shotgunheist

Bronze

Postby shotgunheist » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:22 pm

Finally an acceptance after a 4 week dead period lol

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:29 pm

shotgunheist wrote:Finally an acceptance after a 4 week dead period lol

What school?

shotgunheist

Bronze

Postby shotgunheist » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:31 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
shotgunheist wrote:Finally an acceptance after a 4 week dead period lol

What school?

Fordham

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?