TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:52 am

canafsa wrote:I wonder if y'all would talk like this about the Obama kids.

I wonder if you would defend them

Also the failing washington post has already done the job for us:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ans ... 16b705e286

canafsa

Bronze

Postby canafsa » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:01 am

Last edited by canafsa on Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:05 am

canafsa wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:

I wonder if you would defend them

Also the failing washington post has already done the job for us:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ans ... 16b705e286

Good job deflecting and answering two questions no one asked.

It's not deflecting. The fact of the matter is, when Malia Obama was applying to schools this same narrative was completely commonplace, and no one was complaining that it was unfair. Now it's Tiffany Trump and you have to pretend last year didn't happen so can get on a high horse about how unfairly she's being treated

canafsa

Bronze

Postby canafsa » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:07 am

Last edited by canafsa on Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Instrumental

Silver

Postby Instrumental » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:08 am

R. Jeeves

Gold

Postby R. Jeeves » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:58 am

appind wrote:
R. Jeeves wrote:
Rigo wrote:
R. Jeeves wrote:question for whomever might have insight:

Do you use a name on your resume that's different from the one you go by in day to day life? Does it cause any problems - for example how do employers ask your references about you, what happens if they google you and find nothing, and other things idk

Debating on whether or not to start doing this from now on.

I do. Think legal name William, nickname Bill. I'm assuming LOR's and references all referred to me as Bill. I put Bill as my preferred name on applications iirc but always fill out everything with William (applications, resume, sign emails William, etc.)
No problems, I don't think.

I'm thinking of anglicizing an ethnic name. But I've never done this before, so every document and every person you ask would say my name is BBBBB. Im wondering if that'll cause problems if I decide to start putting AAAA on my resume now.

I think it might be kinda different from William and Bill bc ppl know that a lot of official Williams go by Bill. Plus they've probably been using Bill since they were young, instead of deciding to do it on some random day during adulthood

unless one has a really hard to pronounce name, name change seems like an unnecessary hassle. Barack Obama kept his name and it didn't seem to have held him back.

if you decide to change then i think you'd need to have a succinct explanation when meeting employers etc.

he used to go by Barry. but also like n=1

yeah im wondering what specifically makes it a hassle. if it causes any headaches for employers then it may not be worth it.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:18 pm

Rigo wrote:She doesn't get Secret Service does she?

She probably will. They spend 500,000 a day to protect his wife and kid in New York.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:21 pm

how do you unsub from a thread? (for the schools I'm no
longer considering)

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:25 pm

proteinshake wrote:how do you unsub from a thread? (for the schools I'm no
longer considering)

Go to the top of the page where it says subscriptions. Click on the link. It will take you to all the threads you are subscribed to. Click the ones you want to unsubscribe from and then press the button that says unwatch.

charles117

Bronze

Postby charles117 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:49 pm

they seem like good kids, but I am under no illusion that they get the opportunities that they get solely because of merits.

appind

Gold

Postby appind » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:07 am

is there a way to a send a school an additional letter of rec, other than the required list of names of recommenders listed in the online app?

charles117

Bronze

Postby charles117 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:17 am

appind wrote:is there a way to a send a school an additional letter of rec, other than the required list of names of recommenders listed in the online app?

have your recommender paper mail it to the admissions office? it may or may not be added to your file

appind

Gold

Postby appind » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:19 am

charles117 wrote:
appind wrote:is there a way to a send a school an additional letter of rec, other than the required list of names of recommenders listed in the online app?

have your recommender paper mail it to the admissions office? it may or may not be added to your file

can't one assign the newly uploaded rec using lsac.org and lsac would auto-send an update to the school? i thought that is the way it was in prior years

charles117

Bronze

Postby charles117 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:49 am

appind wrote:
charles117 wrote:

can't one assign the newly uploaded rec using lsac.org and lsac would auto-send an update to the school? i thought that is the way it was in prior years

oh yeah that too, I thought you meant that you exceeded their limit on what they would accept

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:31 pm

Aren't buff lawyers a thing? My mom is telling me I need to stop going to the gym before people run away from me in court lol.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:34 pm

charles117 wrote:

they seem like good kids, but I am under no illusion that they get the opportunities that they get solely because of merits.

People said far worse shit about President Obama's daughters AND the first lady and no one was up in arms about it.

charles117

Bronze

Postby charles117 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:44 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:Aren't buff lawyers a thing? My mom is telling me I need to stop going to the gym before people run away from me in court lol.

gabriel macht is kinda buff isnt he?

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:46 pm

charles117 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:Aren't buff lawyers a thing? My mom is telling me I need to stop going to the gym before people run away from me in court lol.

Buff? No. Fit, yes.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:47 pm

brinicolec wrote:
charles117 wrote:

Buff? No. Fit, yes.

That's what I was going to say, exactly.

Bob loblaw law blog

Bronze

Postby Bob loblaw law blog » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:26 pm

brinicolec wrote:
charles117 wrote:

People said far worse shit about President Obama's daughters AND the first lady and no one was up in arms about it.

I don't think that's quite accurate, people were definitely (and rightfully) up in arms about some of the hateful stuff spewed towards Michelle Obama, particularly the racist stuff (like this: http://www.politico.com/states/new-york ... ers-108321).

Either way, this discussion is kinda pointless. I'm not pissed at the Obama kids or the Trump ones for happening to be born into those families, but the benefits they both receive re:admissions are certainly unfair. I don't see a good way to fix it though. Schools are always gonna be willing to help out the president's daughter.

I sure hope Tiffany Trump doesn't go to my school though... I don't want to be anywhere near that media shit storm. I also could see it being a big distraction for the school in general, having the secret service about constantly and whatnot.

Instrumental

Silver

Postby Instrumental » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:39 pm

Although it's unfair, I'd say it's only in the general sense that life is unfair. The president's children have the ability to garner prestige and attention for the school that us lowly commoners can't and that is a huge contribution to the school I imagine. They also have the ability to provide insights and perspective that few will experience. So while it's not solely on the merit of school and work accomplishments, it is a uniquely beneficial trait which is what the committee is looking for in all of us to some degree.

charles117

Bronze

Postby charles117 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:07 pm

Instrumental wrote:Although it's unfair, I'd say it's only in the general sense that life is unfair. The president's children have the ability to garner prestige and attention for the school that us lowly commoners can't and that is a huge contribution to the school I imagine. They also have the ability to provide insights and perspective that few will experience. So while it's not solely on the merit of school and work accomplishments, it is a uniquely beneficial trait which is what the committee is looking for in all of us to some degree.

provide insights and perspective

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...........

Instrumental

Silver

Postby Instrumental » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:18 pm

charles117 wrote:AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...........

RParadela

Silver

Postby RParadela » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:24 pm

I mean, it's not crazy to think that the Obama daughters are very smart. Barrack went to Columbia and Harvard without any "unfair" advantages and Michelle went to Princeton and Harvard without any "unfair" advantages either.

Chances are that their children are pretty damn smart too

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:31 pm

RParadela wrote:I mean, it's not crazy to think that the Obama daughters are very smart. Barrack went to Columbia and Harvard without any "unfair" advantages and Michelle went to Princeton and Harvard without any "unfair" advantages either.

Chances are that their children are pretty damn smart too

Yeah. His daughter wasn't at one of his final events because she was at home studying for a final. I'm pretty sure they're both smart.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?