TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

Bronze

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (hotdog pole)

Postby 88234 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:55 pm

canafsa wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
canafsa wrote:
Assasindowntheavenue wrote:Ppl actually say "AF" instead of "as fuck" in real life??? Lol

Forget talking in short-hand. I loathe how people say "as fuck" or "pretty" to qualify every fucking statement for the past few years. Same with using the word "trash" or saying "literally me" or "this". It's not clever or charming or informative, just patronizing and obnoxious.

I get you. It sort of starts off as a fast and easy way to qualify something, but can get addicting. You would loathe Southern California where many say "like" after every other word lol. I had to consciously make an effort to not get it stuck in my vocabulary. But I don't see it as ppl's faults so much as the American education system + easy access to social media.

I don't think it's the "fault" of anything, just a new way that people speak. There were many vocal patterns we find odd that took route throughout history in all languages, it's just the nature of a meme

Yes, but it's degradation and is objectively undesirable if we want language to be nuanced and able to express complex ideas. It's limiting our vocabulary, even in news media and the arts. I actually get really worked up by this topic.

Are you also a prescriptive grammarian?

canafsa

Bronze

Postby canafsa » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:56 pm

Last edited by canafsa on Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

courtneyleigh_1

New

Postby courtneyleigh_1 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:56 pm

Bourbon Democrat wrote:
Rigo wrote:I say Elle Oh Elle sometimes but never when something is funny.
But my best friend and I speak the same squirrel language so that's the least of our dialect.

Squeak squikity Squeak skquecum

Kronk at his finest.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:56 pm

Nightwing wrote:I could really use a hug right about now. I just got my third waitlist in a row... from my top choice (Cornell). No acceptances yet. I can count the number of law schools in the entire country whose 75th percentile LSATs I do not match/beat on one hand... and I've been met by nothing but a combination of unwavering silence and these soft rejections... from the lower T14 and even a non-T14 safety.

MyLSN made me feel much more special than reality has. Someone please tell me it'll be okay. I don't have the optimism left in me to do it myself. :(

I feel this hard, two years ago I had almost the same thing happen to me. It's tough to see the MyLSN output and not get a little bit presumptuous about results. The good thing is that WL are not final, you could definitely get in off of it if you really commit. Or you could take some time off to reevaluate and probably put forward a stronger application now humbled (the fact that I'm still in these boards should indicate I support this choice)

I know it hurts to look forward and possibly make the decision to delay law school, the good news is your LSAT is done and if you are a KJD you'll be applying with probably a stronger GPA and at the very least a finalized one.

I would take some time to think, commit to trying to get off just Cornell's WL, and if it doesn't work out this year know that as long as you know where you'll live for 1 year things won't really change much in the grand scheme of your life if you apply next cycle

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:57 pm

It starts out with an innocent lol and it ends with a clementine wth a toupee in the ovaltine office.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:57 pm

courtneyleigh_1 wrote:
Bourbon Democrat wrote:
Rigo wrote:I say Elle Oh Elle sometimes but never when something is funny.
But my best friend and I speak the same squirrel language so that's the least of our dialect.

Squeak squikity Squeak skquecum

Kronk at his finest.

Emperor's New Groove is HYS Disney.

Bronze

Postby 88234 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:57 pm

canafsa wrote:
88234 wrote:
canafsa wrote:
canafsa wrote:
Assasindowntheavenue wrote:Ppl actually say "AF" instead of "as fuck" in real life??? Lol

Forget talking in short-hand. I loathe how people say "as fuck" or "pretty" to qualify every fucking statement for the past few years. Same with using the word "trash" or saying "literally me" or "this". It's not clever or charming or informative, just patronizing and obnoxious.

I get you. It sort of starts off as a fast and easy way to qualify something, but can get addicting. You would loathe Southern California where many say "like" after every other word lol. I had to consciously make an effort to not get it stuck in my vocabulary. But I don't see it as ppl's faults so much as the American education system + easy access to social media.

I don't think it's the "fault" of anything, just a new way that people speak. There were many vocal patterns we find odd that took route throughout history in all languages, it's just the nature of a meme

Yes, but it's degradation and is objectively undesirable if we want language to be nuanced and able to express complex ideas. It's limiting our vocabulary, even in news media and the arts. I actually get really worked up by this topic.

I'm going to law school, so I better be! Don't get me started on emojis.

Haha as a descriptive grammarian going to law school, I say "blah blah natural evolution of language blah blah this has all happened before blah blah measure what is not what you think language should be blah"

Thelaw23

Silver

Postby Thelaw23 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:58 pm

Nightwing wrote:I could really use a hug right about now. I just got my third waitlist in a row... from my top choice (Cornell). No acceptances yet. I can count the number of law schools in the entire country whose 75th percentile LSATs I do not match/beat on one hand... and I've been met by nothing but a combination of unwavering silence and these soft rejections... from the lower T14 and even a non-T14 safety.

MyLSN made me feel much more special than reality has. Someone please tell me it'll be okay. I don't have the optimism left in me to do it myself. :(

I got about 6 WL (Duke, UVA, Cornell, Upenn, Michigan) before I was accepted into Columbia. Have hope, but don't sit there twiddling your thumbs either. Send material into both, schools you haven't heard from in a while and schools you have been waitlisted at. Hope dies last, and I wish you so much luck!! Message me if you ever need to get your mood up or are feeling down about it. Don't let it overwhelm you and keep fighting, if you have the numbers and you didn't write your PS or statements in crayon your cycle should shake out at least a bit!

canafsa

Bronze

Postby canafsa » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:59 pm

Last edited by canafsa on Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kopetz

Bronze

Postby Kopetz » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:00 pm

88234 wrote:
Haha as a descriptive grammarian going to law school, I say "blah blah natural evolution of language blah blah this has all happened before blah blah measure what is not what you think language should be blah"

yeah, vernaculars have always existed and have necessarily been less complex than formalized registers of the same language (and have probably always been annoying to some degree to formally educated speakers)

Bronze

Postby 88234 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:01 pm

canafsa wrote:
88234 wrote:Haha as a descriptive grammarian going to law school, I say "blah blah natural evolution of language blah blah this has all happened before blah blah measure what is not what you think language should be blah"

Oh god. I hope to god we aren't in the same conlaw class. You gave me hives just now.

You're probably a constructionist too, huh? It's okay, constructionism happens to good people too.

Taking an objective, scientific approach to the evolution of language? Sorry not sorry bro/brah.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:05 pm

canafsa wrote:
88234 wrote:
canafsa wrote:
canafsa wrote:

I'm going to law school, so I better be! Don't get me started on emojis.

I'm not really sure the addition of like as a filler word objectively degrades language or makes us less able to convey complex ideas. I will agree that a general decrease in vocabulary makes us unable to convey complex yet different concepts, but I think that is a separate issue than a vocal habit. Also, in some instances I'm sure a more accurate response than YASS could be used, but it's not as though these response are used in particular thought provoking situations, there have always been formal and informal languages, and both serve their respective purposes.

It's no better to argue we should always speak like we're writing a legal document than it is to say we should use AF in formal communication.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:09 pm

CHyde wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
Pozzo wrote:
Ppl actually say "AF" instead of "as fuck" in real life??? Lol

Yes, as in,

"Oh Em Gee. I'm literally lolling. That is funny AF. I literally cannot even right now," said the insufferable little brat as she Snapchatted her life away.

Ri I mean fo real shawty wuh livin da life

SO to when da real OGz tYpEd LiKe ThIs

One of the dudes on a website I go on mastered that shit lmao. I gotta find one of his post. Shit was gold.

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:12 pm

I use af, p, emojis, or even better bitmojis, semi-ironically over text or when i'm hanging out with my roommates shooting the shit, watching dance moms/the bachelor and laughing about memes or what have you. we also joke that I keep the rest of the house young because at 23, i'm the youngest.

but I am also certainly capable of having serious intellectual conversations or writing legal briefs or other formal writing documents and use language to express nuance and communicate clearly.

i'd find it incredibly boring to speak in the same tone as a legal brief 24/7. nothing "objectively undesirable" about it.

R. Jeeves

Gold

Postby R. Jeeves » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:13 pm

Rigo wrote:I enjoy Suits but I still recognize its p trash.

yeah watching suits is like listening to migos

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:14 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:I use af, p, emojis, or even better bitmojis, semi-ironically over text or when i'm hanging out with my roommates shooting the shit, watching dance moms/the bachelor and laughing about memes or what have you. we also joke that I keep the rest of the house young because at 23, i'm the youngest.

but I am also certainly capable of having serious intellectual conversations or writing legal briefs or other formal writing documents and use language to express nuance and communicate clearly.

i'd find it incredibly boring to speak in the same tone as a legal brief 24/7. nothing "objectively undesirable" about it.

+180 fam

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:17 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:I'm not really sure the addition of like as a filler word objectively degrades language or makes us less able to convey complex ideas. I will agree that a general decrease in vocabulary makes us unable to convey complex yet different concepts, but I think that is a separate issue than a vocal habit. Also, in some instances I'm sure a more accurate response than YASS could be used, but it's not as though these response are used in particular thought provoking situations, there have always been formal and informal languages, and both serve their respective purposes.

It's no better to argue we should always speak like we're writing a legal document than it is to say we should use AF in formal communication.

Can't really get into it since I'm at work and can't type long blocks of text, but I generally agree with your posts. Also, if this is the TLS rant hour, just wanted to say that I fucking hate "YASSS" and "Slay" and all those words that usually find their way back to Beyoncé for some reason. Maybe random but whatever lol.

R. Jeeves

Gold

Postby R. Jeeves » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:18 pm

Rigo wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:

Wot did you just say
Edit: I literally couldn't watch the latest season

It's run its course.

suits was actually good for two seasons. then it was at least tolerable for the third because being invested in the characters allowed you to still enjoy it despite the kinda crappy writing at that point. but after that it kinda blew

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:19 pm

R. Jeeves wrote:
Rigo wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:

Wot did you just say

It's run its course.

suits was actually good for two seasons. then it was at least tolerable for the third because being invested in the characters allowed you to still enjoy it despite the kinda crappy writing at that point. but after that it kinda blew

NO SUITS SLANDER SHALL PROSPER (although I'm completely behind on this season)

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:20 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:I'm not really sure the addition of like as a filler word objectively degrades language or makes us less able to convey complex ideas. I will agree that a general decrease in vocabulary makes us unable to convey complex yet different concepts, but I think that is a separate issue than a vocal habit. Also, in some instances I'm sure a more accurate response than YASS could be used, but it's not as though these response are used in particular thought provoking situations, there have always been formal and informal languages, and both serve their respective purposes.

Can't really get into it since I'm at work and can't type long blocks of text, but I generally agree with your posts. Also, if this is the TLS rant hour, just wanted to say that I fucking hate "YASSS" and "Slay" and all those words that usually find their way back to Beyoncé for some reason. Maybe random but whatever lol.

Okay, y'all clearly just haven't had friends that hype you up/hyped up your friends enough because those two words are essential to the "GLO SIS" package.

forum_user

Silver

Postby forum_user » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:23 pm

Assasindowntheavenue wrote:I fucking hate "YASSS" and "Slay"

+1 gets me so irrationally angry/annoyed. just say "yes." you don't actually pronounce an "ah" sound in the middle of that word

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:26 pm

forum_user wrote:
Assasindowntheavenue wrote:I fucking hate "YASSS" and "Slay"

+1 gets me so irrationally angry/annoyed. just say "yes." you don't actually pronounce an "ah" sound in the middle of that word

Yas and yes are not the same thing.

Leliana

Bronze

Postby Leliana » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:36 pm

Kopetz wrote:
88234 wrote:

yeah, vernaculars have always existed and have necessarily been less complex than formalized registers of the same language (and have probably always been annoying to some degree to formally educated speakers)

+180 to all of this

EDIT: canafsa, your 'tar has some good words to say on the subject, look up De vulgari eloquentia :wink:
Last edited by Leliana on Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:36 pm

R. Jeeves wrote:
Rigo wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:

Wot did you just say

It's run its course.

YASSS, I legit enjoyed it until

[+] Spoiler
Mike got arrested

Then it just got bad

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:41 pm

Since we're back to TV shows:

Anybody else watch the terrible show called "the deep end"? throughout the entire 6 episode series I couldn't tell if it was so bad it was good or if it was so bad it went back to being bad again.

I will say though the thing that kept me coming back were the ever changing accents of Kevin Rayburn

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?