TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

10
10
83%
9
0
No votes
8
1
8%
7
0
No votes
6
0
No votes
5
0
No votes
4
0
No votes
3
1
8%
2
0
No votes
1
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 12

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby Mikey » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:48 pm

archipm wrote:If she agreed to write you a LOR for law school apps then she already knows you are looking to further your education in law school. This will also be true of every law school you apply to. If you have a specific career goal within the legal field that isn't already clear in any of the other materials you are providing her then I suppose you could mention it there. That said, objectives section is usually unnecessary resume filler imo. I'm willing to bet that even if you are a K-JD you have some skill or experience to put on your resume that is more compelling/says more about you than "I am a person who wants to go to law school." Use the space on the page for that instead.


R. Jeeves wrote:It should be perfectly fine if you do this.

But like archipm said you could probably just get rid of the objective section entirely.


Thanks guys, I'm going to see what I can do later with it! Might just take out the objective part. The thing is, I am a K-JD and the only thing I've ever done was 1 internship which i'm doing again currently for this summer. So there's not much to write on my resume. Would it be fine if my resume isn't even a full page without the objective part?

User avatar
R. Jeeves

Gold
Posts: 1980
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 7:54 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby R. Jeeves » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:01 pm

you could probably keep the objective section in the version that youre going to send to the prof.

You could maybe spend some time fiddling with it before sticking it on the LS apps though

User avatar
TexasENG

Silver
Posts: 1074
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby TexasENG » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:18 pm

TheMikey wrote:
TexasENG wrote:
TheMikey wrote:Just got the email from my 2nd professor for a LOR saying she'd be happy to do it 8) 8) 8)


Nice! Its probs better to get them from profs before classes start so they have some more time.

I wish I had kept in contact with my profs better. I'm concerned that my LORs are only from employers post graduation, but having a professor write one from 4+ years ago probably wouldn't be much better. :cry:

This professor isn't a professor anymore, she went onto do other things but I'm thankful that she will gladly write one for me.

It sucks you don't have contact with not even 1 professor. I'm not too sure how the whole 'employer LOR only' thing plays out if you've been out of UG only 4 years. I don't think it will have a HUGE negative impact on you though.


Ahh, so relieved that I got my 2 LORs out of the way, now to just wait until they both submit them. Now to kill the LSAT and stop being a lazy fukk with my PS and Why X essays!


Yeah, this definitely worries me. I was actually inspired to just request a couple more from old professors so hopefully I hear something back from one of them~!

I think on your resume, its probably not overly important that how its formatted to send to your recommender and the length isn't too important. In the past for jobs / etc. the profs I spoke to just wanted some additional info since they didn't really know me outside of class.

User avatar
archipm

Bronze
Posts: 481
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:05 am

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby archipm » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:24 pm

TheMikey wrote:Thanks guys, I'm going to see what I can do later with it! Might just take out the objective part. The thing is, I am a K-JD and the only thing I've ever done was 1 internship which i'm doing again currently for this summer. So there's not much to write on my resume. Would it be fine if my resume isn't even a full page without the objective part?


If you have very little work experience, it might be to your advantage to write a resume with a more academic focus. There are a lot of templates/examples around online. Non-academic resume items other than paid work can also be volunteer experience, campus groups/clubs that you participated in, any events you helped organize, etc.

Agreed with others that for the LOR writer the format isn't the biggest deal, but you will have to have a resume to send in with apps at most schools so it's worth working on it at some point anyway.
Last edited by archipm on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby Mikey » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:26 pm

TexasENG wrote:
Yeah, this definitely worries me. I was actually inspired to just request a couple more from old professors so hopefully I hear something back from one of them~!

I think on your resume, its probably not overly important that how its formatted to send to your recommender and the length isn't too important. In the past for jobs / etc. the profs I spoke to just wanted some additional info since they didn't really know me outside of class.

Good luck with the profs! But honestly, if one of the professors offers a LOR but barely remembers you, it might be better to keep the employer one if you know they can write much more about you than the professor.

Yeah I'm going to shape up my resume later on night!

Sean_33

New
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:18 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby Sean_33 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:58 pm

How many schools are you guys planning on applying to? I think my potential list has around 15 schools...

User avatar
Baby Gaga

Bronze
Posts: 432
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:07 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby Baby Gaga » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:06 pm

Sean_33 wrote:How many schools are you guys planning on applying to? I think my potential list has around 15 schools...


I've got 16 on mine, planning to cut it to 10 or so. I'm gonna need a ton of fee waivers

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby Mikey » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:20 pm

Sean_33 wrote:How many schools are you guys planning on applying to? I think my potential list has around 15 schools...

10/14 of the T14 (excluding Yale, Stanford, Berkeley and GTown). I'll only apply to Gtown and berkeley if i get a fee waiver though. And then like 3 regional schools.

User avatar
The_Pluviophile

Bronze
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby The_Pluviophile » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:11 pm

I'm having a ton of trouble narrowing down where I want to apply. Every time I ask someone for advice they're like "your numbers are great, you can apply anywhere!" which sounds nice but is super unhelpful :roll:

User avatar
R. Jeeves

Gold
Posts: 1980
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 7:54 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby R. Jeeves » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:31 pm

The_Pluviophile wrote:I'm having a ton of trouble narrowing down where I want to apply. Every time I ask someone for advice they're like "your numbers are great, you can apply anywhere!" which sounds nice but is super unhelpful :roll:


why not blanket the T14?

is that too many schools? you'll prob get fee waivers from a good portion of them.

User avatar
TexasENG

Silver
Posts: 1074
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby TexasENG » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:38 pm

Sean_33 wrote:How many schools are you guys planning on applying to? I think my potential list has around 15 schools...


I'm planning on around 8/14 + local big regional. Since I'm married my list has to go through two people which is why its a little more pared down.

User avatar
Hildegard15

Gold
Posts: 2161
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:26 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby Hildegard15 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:54 pm

The_Pluviophile wrote:I'm having a ton of trouble narrowing down where I want to apply. Every time I ask someone for advice they're like "your numbers are great, you can apply anywhere!" which sounds nice but is super unhelpful :roll:


I creeped on your posts to find your numbers and DAAAAAMMMMMNNNN. :shock: In your case, I would probably only apply to the T10 or even just T6. However, if you want to have as much scholarship negotiation leverage possible, I'd recommend you do T10. If I could go back and redo this past cycle I wouldn't have applied to the entire T-14 just to save some of the app fees.

youngwarrior

New
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:13 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby youngwarrior » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:51 pm

The_Pluviophile wrote:I'm having a ton of trouble narrowing down where I want to apply. Every time I ask someone for advice they're like "your numbers are great, you can apply anywhere!" which sounds nice but is super unhelpful :roll:


I have the same problem, apparently i'm a unicorn given that there are virtually no other black males with my stats. After doing my research and consulting a few people I've decided on just applying to the T6, and a couple schools in Canada (I'm Canadian)

Barack Obama 2.0

New
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 8:00 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby Barack Obama 2.0 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:02 pm

youngwarrior wrote:
I have the same problem, apparently i'm a unicorn given that there are virtually no other black males with my stats. After doing my research and consulting a few people I've decided on just applying to the T6, and a couple schools in Canada (I'm Canadian)


Bro, in your case you could apply just to HYS and you'd be set LOL. Congrats on your amazing numbers and enjoy your year at Cambridge (I creeped your posts, don't judge). :wink:

rav17

New
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:09 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby rav17 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:17 pm

I'm applying to the entire T14 but as a yalie i'd love to stay in New Haven and get YLS.

TAD

Bronze
Posts: 345
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 11:40 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby TAD » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:18 pm

youngwarrior wrote:
The_Pluviophile wrote:I'm having a ton of trouble narrowing down where I want to apply. Every time I ask someone for advice they're like "your numbers are great, you can apply anywhere!" which sounds nice but is super unhelpful :roll:


I have the same problem, apparently i'm a unicorn given that there are virtually no other black males with my stats. After doing my research and consulting a few people I've decided on just applying to the T6, and a couple schools in Canada (I'm Canadian)


I feel you. I literally have no idea where I want to live or practice. Im literally open to US and Canada. So im applying to just T6, berkeley (always been interested in cali, and hopefully i can pull a close to full ride scholly) and Canadian schools. Don't know where i'd ultimately go tho, if accepted to them all.

youngwarrior

New
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:13 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby youngwarrior » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:26 pm

TAD wrote:
youngwarrior wrote:
The_Pluviophile wrote:I'm having a ton of trouble narrowing down where I want to apply. Every time I ask someone for advice they're like "your numbers are great, you can apply anywhere!" which sounds nice but is super unhelpful :roll:


I have the same problem, apparently i'm a unicorn given that there are virtually no other black males with my stats. After doing my research and consulting a few people I've decided on just applying to the T6, and a couple schools in Canada (I'm Canadian)


I feel you. I literally have no idea where I want to live or practice. Im literally open to US and Canada. So im applying to just T6, berkeley (always been interested in cali, and hopefully i can pull a close to full ride scholly) and Canadian schools. Don't know where i'd ultimately go tho, if accepted to them all.


Eh! Another black Canadian. Congrats on your sick stats too. I swear every black Canadian I meet on this site has amazing numbers, it's really funny. I'm going to apply to U of T, Osgoode and maybe Queen's but that about it for schools in Canada. My top choice is Harvard and i'm looking to do a JD/MBA, currently studying for the GMAT. I'd be open to returning to Canada after my studies in America, but not sure that I would. You're pretty much guaranteed a sweep of the T6 and you'll get into any Canadian school that you want, it'll ultimately come down to where you want to live and practice but that's something you can reflect on throughout the cycle. Are you debt-averse? From what I understand our numbers will get us several full ride offers at CCN and other t14 schools.

TAD

Bronze
Posts: 345
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 11:40 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby TAD » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:40 pm

youngwarrior wrote:
TAD wrote:
youngwarrior wrote:
The_Pluviophile wrote:I'm having a ton of trouble narrowing down where I want to apply. Every time I ask someone for advice they're like "your numbers are great, you can apply anywhere!" which sounds nice but is super unhelpful :roll:


I have the same problem, apparently i'm a unicorn given that there are virtually no other black males with my stats. After doing my research and consulting a few people I've decided on just applying to the T6, and a couple schools in Canada (I'm Canadian)


I feel you. I literally have no idea where I want to live or practice. Im literally open to US and Canada. So im applying to just T6, berkeley (always been interested in cali, and hopefully i can pull a close to full ride scholly) and Canadian schools. Don't know where i'd ultimately go tho, if accepted to them all.


Eh! Another black Canadian. Congrats on your sick stats too. I swear every black Canadian I meet on this site has amazing numbers, it's really funny. I'm going to apply to U of T, Osgoode and maybe Queen's but that about it for schools in Canada. My top choice is Harvard and i'm looking to do a JD/MBA, currently studying for the GMAT. I'd be open to returning to Canada after my studies in America, but not sure that I would. You're pretty much guaranteed a a sweep of the T6 and you'll get into any Canadian school that you want, it'll ultimately come down to where you want to live and practice but that's something you can reflect on throughout the cycle. Are you debt-averse? From what I understand our numbers will get us several full ride offers at CCN and other t14 schools.


My top choice is Harvard too, but im applying only to U of T and UBC in Canada. And i briefly considered JD/MBA during undergrad, but passed on it. and I wasn't debt averse before, but TLS has a way of really messing with your mind, so now I don't even know.

So you'd be cool with doing the NCA exams if for some reason you decide on returning to Canada? Cause thats another thing thats really messing with me. I don't think id come to Canada if I go down, but you never know what could come up.

youngwarrior

New
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:13 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby youngwarrior » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:52 pm

TAD wrote:
youngwarrior wrote:
TAD wrote:
youngwarrior wrote:
The_Pluviophile wrote:I'm having a ton of trouble narrowing down where I want to apply. Every time I ask someone for advice they're like "your numbers are great, you can apply anywhere!" which sounds nice but is super unhelpful :roll:


I have the same problem, apparently i'm a unicorn given that there are virtually no other black males with my stats. After doing my research and consulting a few people I've decided on just applying to the T6, and a couple schools in Canada (I'm Canadian)


I feel you. I literally have no idea where I want to live or practice. Im literally open to US and Canada. So im applying to just T6, berkeley (always been interested in cali, and hopefully i can pull a close to full ride scholly) and Canadian schools. Don't know where i'd ultimately go tho, if accepted to them all.


Eh! Another black Canadian. Congrats on your sick stats too. I swear every black Canadian I meet on this site has amazing numbers, it's really funny. I'm going to apply to U of T, Osgoode and maybe Queen's but that about it for schools in Canada. My top choice is Harvard and i'm looking to do a JD/MBA, currently studying for the GMAT. I'd be open to returning to Canada after my studies in America, but not sure that I would. You're pretty much guaranteed a a sweep of the T6 and you'll get into any Canadian school that you want, it'll ultimately come down to where you want to live and practice but that's something you can reflect on throughout the cycle. Are you debt-averse? From what I understand our numbers will get us several full ride offers at CCN and other t14 schools.


My top choice is Harvard too, but im applying only to U of T and UBC in Canada. And i briefly considered JD/MBA during undergrad, but passed on it. and I wasn't debt averse before, but TLS has a way of really messing with your mind, so now I don't even know.

So you'd be cool with doing the NCA exams if for some reason you decide on returning to Canada? Cause thats another thing thats really messing with me. I don't think id come to Canada if I go down, but you never know what could come up.


I totally forgot about the NCA exams.. shit.. I heard that it takes a while to study and complete them which is a pretty big opportunity cost, especially if you're already practicing in the U.S. I'm with you, if I went down to the U.S I probably wouldn't return to Canada unless these crazy Americans actually elect trump. :lol:

TAD

Bronze
Posts: 345
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 11:40 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby TAD » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:57 pm

youngwarrior wrote:
TAD wrote:
youngwarrior wrote:
TAD wrote:
youngwarrior wrote:
The_Pluviophile wrote:I'm having a ton of trouble narrowing down where I want to apply. Every time I ask someone for advice they're like "your numbers are great, you can apply anywhere!" which sounds nice but is super unhelpful :roll:


I have the same problem, apparently i'm a unicorn given that there are virtually no other black males with my stats. After doing my research and consulting a few people I've decided on just applying to the T6, and a couple schools in Canada (I'm Canadian)


I feel you. I literally have no idea where I want to live or practice. Im literally open to US and Canada. So im applying to just T6, berkeley (always been interested in cali, and hopefully i can pull a close to full ride scholly) and Canadian schools. Don't know where i'd ultimately go tho, if accepted to them all.


Eh! Another black Canadian. Congrats on your sick stats too. I swear every black Canadian I meet on this site has amazing numbers, it's really funny. I'm going to apply to U of T, Osgoode and maybe Queen's but that about it for schools in Canada. My top choice is Harvard and i'm looking to do a JD/MBA, currently studying for the GMAT. I'd be open to returning to Canada after my studies in America, but not sure that I would. You're pretty much guaranteed a a sweep of the T6 and you'll get into any Canadian school that you want, it'll ultimately come down to where you want to live and practice but that's something you can reflect on throughout the cycle. Are you debt-averse? From what I understand our numbers will get us several full ride offers at CCN and other t14 schools.


My top choice is Harvard too, but im applying only to U of T and UBC in Canada. And i briefly considered JD/MBA during undergrad, but passed on it. and I wasn't debt averse before, but TLS has a way of really messing with your mind, so now I don't even know.

So you'd be cool with doing the NCA exams if for some reason you decide on returning to Canada? Cause thats another thing thats really messing with me. I don't think id come to Canada if I go down, but you never know what could come up.


I totally forgot about the NCA exams.. shit.. I heard that it takes a while to study and complete them which is a pretty big opportunity cost, especially if you're already practicing in the U.S. I'm with you, if I went down to the U.S I probably wouldn't return to Canada unless these crazy Americans actually elect trump. :lol:


Ye shit is right. Heard it's a lot easier though if ur JD is from an elite school.

youngwarrior

New
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:13 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby youngwarrior » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:08 pm

TAD wrote:
Ye shit is right. Heard it's a lot easier though if ur JD is from an elite school.


This is true.You will also have your pick of any bay street firm in Toronto and or any other large corporate law firm in Montreal, Calgary Vancouver ect. if you have a JD from HYS. Getting non-SCC clerkships is also pretty easy i've heard as well if that's something you're interested in. If you go to Harvard and manage to graduate magna (top 10%), you have an extremely high chance of scoring a SCC clerkship.

TAD

Bronze
Posts: 345
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 11:40 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby TAD » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:35 pm

youngwarrior wrote:
TAD wrote:
Ye shit is right. Heard it's a lot easier though if ur JD is from an elite school.


This is true.You will also have your pick of any bay street firm in Toronto and or any other large corporate law firm in Montreal, Calgary Vancouver ect. if you have a JD from HYS. Getting non-SCC clerkships is also pretty easy i've heard as well if that's something you're interested in. If you go to Harvard and manage to graduate magna (top 10%), you have an extremely high chance of scoring a SCC clerkship.


I heard bout the corporate firms but damn clerkship too. Almost makes the NCA worth writing if you go HYS. Not really something I considered but, as you said, if trump gets elected, at least now I know there's a contingency plan

User avatar
The_Pluviophile

Bronze
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby The_Pluviophile » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:00 am

Hildegard15 wrote:
The_Pluviophile wrote:I'm having a ton of trouble narrowing down where I want to apply. Every time I ask someone for advice they're like "your numbers are great, you can apply anywhere!" which sounds nice but is super unhelpful :roll:


I creeped on your posts to find your numbers and DAAAAAMMMMMNNNN. :shock: In your case, I would probably only apply to the T10 or even just T6. However, if you want to have as much scholarship negotiation leverage possible, I'd recommend you do T10. If I could go back and redo this past cycle I wouldn't have applied to the entire T-14 just to save some of the app fees.


:) Thanks :oops: Yeah, app fees is definitely a concern. My top choice is Yale, but they're so...Yale, so I know getting in there is still a long shot. I'm a K-JD, so I feel like even with my numbers I'm still at a disadvantage. Is that true, or am I just being too paranoid? Thanks for the advice though!

User avatar
Hildegard15

Gold
Posts: 2161
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:26 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby Hildegard15 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:58 am

The_Pluviophile wrote:
:) Thanks :oops: Yeah, app fees is definitely a concern. My top choice is Yale, but they're so...Yale, so I know getting in there is still a long shot. I'm a K-JD, so I feel like even with my numbers I'm still at a disadvantage. Is that true, or am I just being too paranoid? Thanks for the advice though!


I think saying you're at a disadvantage is a bit strong, but some schools may hold it against you. K-JDs definitely get into Yale and have fabulous cycles, but there are some who will have some surprising rejections/waitlists. It's hard to predict. Even with fabulous numbers, you need to come up with a solid narrative for your application, but the rest is up to the Adcom Gods.

I just looked at MyLSN and your chances at Yale are actually freaking fabulous if you go by that site. Now obviously, I would NOT get your hopes up too high because Yale is Yale, but it's definitely in the range of possibilities. I'm honestly half in shock, I've never seen LSN stats for Yale be that good.I'm gonna go lie down now and try not to pass out :lol:

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby Mikey » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:21 am

What do you guys think of getting a 3rd LOR that will be NYU specific from someone I work with who went to NYU? The person isn't really a colleague but he's a higher authority and likes me.

Would this be a good or bad idea?



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests