TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

Thelaw23

Silver

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (wearable gadgets poll)

Postby Thelaw23 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:17 pm

Kopetz wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:On the other hand though, it's pretty exciting! The world is our oyster guys :lol: Where will we end up? Who will we meet? Will we be freezing, or chilling on the beach?

And yeah, croissant sandwiches are definitely sandwiches.

Also, I can't be the only one who eats peanut butter and jelly without the top piece of bread. What is the point of the top piece of bread. I can't eat peanut butter and jelly without the bread, but one piece is more than enough to create the palatable combination.

Additionally, the caviar SANDWICH has only one piece of bread. No piece of bread on top. No respectable man will ever eat a caviar sandwich with two pieces of bread.

Link: https://www.google.com/search?q=caviar+ ... UQ_AUIBigB

It's a whole sandwich subgenre

:O
Touche

Looking through that wiki page, I can't help but notice "Earl of Sandwich"

Wut

Sarastro

Bronze

Postby Sarastro » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:23 pm

Pozzo wrote:
Sarastro wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:So if I have one piece of bread and peanut butter and jelly on top, without a piece of bread on top, does this mean it is not a sandwich?

What is it then?

Just so I understand, you're saying you made a PBJ sandwich but without a top piece of bread? What kind of animal does that?
That is some kind of jelly/nut spread, I guess, but most certainly not a sandwich.

I would like to contribute by arguing that the vehicle of a hot dog is not, in fact, "bread" in the manner that is required for consideration as a sandwich. It is- wait for it- a "bun". This is the critical distinction that the question of sandwichness turns on, not the hot dog itself. For the same reason, tacos and other such items are not sandwiches. Though the constituent elements of their vehicles may be similar to bread, they are, in fact, not bread.

Finally, though delicious, an ice-cream sandwich is certainly not an actual sandwich. The "sandwich" in the title is merely an analogy to actual sandwiches.

By this argument, we would be excluding a large number of the things that uncontroversially pass for sandwiches. What of croissant sandwiches? Sandwiches served on Kaiser rolls? The Arby's Beef and Cheddar? I'm afraid that limiting sandwiches to things served on the dubiously named "sandwich" bread is a bridge too far.

Ah, but I make the distinction between bread that makes a sandwich and "sandwich bread."

"Bread" is a very large umbrella, which is what makes this question difficult. However, under the broad definition of "bread" there are many sub-classifications of types of bread. These sub-classes include buns, Portuguese so-called buns, tortillas, injera, etc.

I believe that buns, the likes of which are on hotdogs, tortillas, injera, etc. are qualitatively distinct from those breads that make sandwiches, which include sub-classes such as whole-grain bread, sour dough, rolls, "sandwich bread," and others. The proper classification of these sub-classes of bread are what this question and this forum lacks.

Example: If I put peanut butter and jelly on two pieces of tortilla, not only would it be disgusting but it would not immediately strike one as a sandwich. It might look like a sandwich and might give one pause and make one consider, given that it has many of the characteristics of a sandwich, but I would put it to the forum that the very act of pausing and reflecting on whether it is a sandwich is all the answer that need be given!

ETA: Before anyone asks for a something approaching a comprehensive list, I'll let Justice Stewart speak for me: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_know_it_when_I_see_it
Last edited by Sarastro on Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leliana

Bronze

Postby Leliana » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:31 pm

Sarastro wrote:Example: If I put peanut butter and jelly on two pieces of tortilla, not only would it be disgusting but it would not immediately strike one as a sandwich.

Speak for yourself, I'll gladly eat a pb+j tortilla rollup as a snack 8)

Though I def wouldn't categorize it as a sandwich.

Dodocogon

Silver

Postby Dodocogon » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:33 pm

Guys, I don't like peanut butter.

Pls don't throw me out

dclaw93

Bronze

Postby dclaw93 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:40 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:
govlife wrote:Yeah the uncertainty is driving me crazy. And my husband, too. Especially since he'll have to find a teaching job wherever we end up. We may or may not have spent our Valentine's going back and forth, "What if they don't offer me enough money?" "I'm sure they will" "But what if they DON'T?"

I thought I was the only one who did that with my SO :lol:

BTW, another rant - I didn't even enroll or start law school and I already spent so much damn money. From LSAT prep to the application fees, and now even CSS.

It just seems contradictory that for an application for financial aid you have to pay money. You're filling it out because you don't have money :evil:

Wait, CSS costs money to submit?? That is ridiculous...

tuesdayninja

Bronze

Postby tuesdayninja » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:43 pm

dclaw93 wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
govlife wrote:Yeah the uncertainty is driving me crazy. And my husband, too. Especially since he'll have to find a teaching job wherever we end up. We may or may not have spent our Valentine's going back and forth, "What if they don't offer me enough money?" "I'm sure they will" "But what if they DON'T?"

I thought I was the only one who did that with my SO :lol:

BTW, another rant - I didn't even enroll or start law school and I already spent so much damn money. From LSAT prep to the application fees, and now even CSS.

It just seems contradictory that for an application for financial aid you have to pay money. You're filling it out because you don't have money :evil:

Wait, CSS costs money to submit?? That is ridiculous...

Yeh mad dumb, it's 16$ per school I think?

Kopetz

Bronze

Postby Kopetz » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:41 pm

Dodocogon wrote:Guys, I don't like peanut butter.

Pls don't throw me out

This scene, only peanut butter instead of meat

haley12

Silver

Postby haley12 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:24 pm

Leliana wrote:
Sarastro wrote:Example: If I put peanut butter and jelly on two pieces of tortilla, not only would it be disgusting but it would not immediately strike one as a sandwich.

Speak for yourself, I'll gladly eat a pb+j tortilla rollup as a snack 8)

Though I def wouldn't categorize it as a sandwich.

I'm with you! Crunchy pb+j in a wheat wrap = YUM especially if you microwave it

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:50 pm

Dodocogon wrote:Guys, I don't like peanut butter.

Pls don't throw me out

Omg if I could only a few foods in my life I would choose:

Peanut butter, hummus, sushi (tuna and eel rolls), avocado, wheat bread, pita, some kind of veggie like spinach or tomatoes, and that's about it...

Oh and iced coffee, ice cream, and muffins as treats.

Instrumental

Silver

Postby Instrumental » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:41 pm

Goddammit, every time I enter this topic you guys are talking about food and it makes me hungry even when I've just eaten. :evil:

Anyway, anyone here going to get gifts for the people who wrote them recommendation letters? I worked closely with the people who wrote mine and we have a pretty good relationship still even though we don't work with one another any more. I'd really like to send them something to show my appreciation once I decide on a school. Not sure what though. Maybe expensive wine or something.

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:27 pm

Instrumental wrote:Goddammit, every time I enter this topic you guys are talking about food and it makes me hungry even when I've just eaten. :evil:

Anyway, anyone here going to get gifts for the people who wrote them recommendation letters? I worked closely with the people who wrote mine and we have a pretty good relationship still even though we don't work with one another any more. I'd really like to send them something to show my appreciation once I decide on a school. Not sure what though. Maybe expensive wine or something.

I've read a lot that a sincere thank you letter is sufficient. That was the overwhelming response, but some others say if they like coffee a simple gift card to a coffee shop etc is ok.

jza1994

Bronze

Postby jza1994 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:35 pm

Full scholarship to my state's flagship and alma mater today. Feels good.

AdieuCali

New

Postby AdieuCali » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:38 pm

Instrumental wrote:Goddammit, every time I enter this topic you guys are talking about food and it makes me hungry even when I've just eaten. :evil:

I'm going to send my recommenders "Jefferson cups" from UVA. A little pricey, but I significantly outperformed my numbers so I'm sure the LORs seriously helped. Plus, they're unique to UVA and I'm sure they'll appreciate it.

http://uvabookstores.com/shop_product_d ... cuptop.asp

Thelaw23

Silver

Postby Thelaw23 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:39 pm

AdieuCali wrote:

I'm going to send my recommenders "Jefferson cups" from UVA. A little pricey, but I significantly outperformed my numbers so I'm sure the LORs seriously helped. Plus, they're unique to UVA and I'm sure they'll appreciate it.

I can't decide if this is a good idea or a terrible one.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:40 pm

I just sent hand-written thank you cards.

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:41 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:
AdieuCali wrote:

Whatever it is, I want one. I went to the same college as TJ so that's a big enough link to get one even if I don't go to UVA right? :)

AdieuCali

New

Postby AdieuCali » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:07 am

Thelaw23 wrote:
AdieuCali wrote:

Good

Monday

Silver

Postby Monday » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:30 am

Last edited by Monday on Thu May 11, 2017 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:31 am

Monday wrote:
Rigo wrote:I just sent hand-written thank you cards.

This is what I did also. I was told giving gifts (except perhaps for a coffee cup or some other paraphernalia from your chosen LS) to professors is frowned upon.

+1

AdieuCali

New

Postby AdieuCali » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:20 am

Keilz wrote:
Monday wrote:

This is what I did also. I was told giving gifts (except perhaps for a coffee cup or some other paraphernalia from your chosen LS) to professors is frowned upon.

+1

Ah, hadn't considered that angle. I'm 6+ years out of undergrad and my one academic recommender no longer works at the institution where I studied. I'm very close to the 2 former bosses who wrote the others. Regardless I've spent $40 on friends and colleagues who have done a lot less than help me get into law school.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:55 am

AdieuCali wrote:
Keilz wrote:
Monday wrote:

+1

Ah, hadn't considered that angle. I'm 6+ years out of undergrad and my one academic recommender no longer works at the institution where I studied. I'm very close to the 2 former bosses who wrote the others. Regardless I've spent $40 on friends and colleagues who have done a lot less than help me get into law school.

OK, so you have like a friendship with your recommendations. Yeah that's 100% fine then, and a really cool gift

R. Jeeves

Gold

Postby R. Jeeves » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:22 am

Monday wrote:I was told giving gifts (except perhaps for a coffee cup or some other paraphernalia from your chosen LS) to professors is frowned upon.

Really? Like even after you've graduated?

Im 2 yrs out of school and one of my LOR writers is retiring this year. I'm considering whether (and what) to gift him for his last lecture/retirement party.

Monday

Silver

Postby Monday » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:33 am

Last edited by Monday on Thu May 11, 2017 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stylnator

Silver

Postby Stylnator » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:58 am

Monday wrote:

It probably depends on your relationship with your LORs. I have a pretty informal relationship with mine and I know they'd absolutely love like a mug or something from where I'll be attending.

StopLawying

Silver

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (hotdog pole)

Postby StopLawying » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:22 am

My professors met with me and put a lot of effort when writing my letter. I gave them each a $50 Starbucks gift card. Professsors drink a ton of coffee so figured it was practical.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?