TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

em15

Bronze

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (wearable gadgets poll)

Postby em15 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:03 pm

airwrecka wrote:
SmallK wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
Rigo wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
Rigo wrote:So today is the day I figure out need-based aid and I'm lost.
Parents make $100k-$150k but won't be helping me out.
What did most middle-ish class people do?
Leave them off FAFSA but include on CSS or what?
Thanks for the help.

According to FAFSA, I'm independent because I'm married, so I didn't put my parents' info on FAFSA. For the schools that I sent CSS to, though, I had to include my parents' info, so I did. Unless you're 30 (in most cases), you don't really have an option to leave them off of CSS.

Okay time to call them and ask for their tax returns. Hopefully they don't pull a Romney/Trump and leave me hanging. :mrgreen:

Or I can just go full child and send them my tax returns and tell them to have fun doing it for me.

Hahaha my parents refuse to let me see their info, so I had to enter all my personal info into the application, then send it to my mom and she entered my parents' stuff and then sent the app in for me, so I could never see it :lol:

FYI, a few schools did require it (Chicago, Penn, Berkeley, and NYU on my list). They all had a few exceptions that I didn't meet (I'm under 30 and not married), but if you're worried, I'd double check! On the plus side, it's wayyyyy easier to add them to FAFSA than CSS!

(also, lol Romney/Trump bahah)

Hmmmm I already sent in NYU's app and I included my parents' info on the app, but I did not include them on FAFSA. Crap, now I'm worried...

I think they would notify you to edit your fafsa if there was a problem.

SmallK

Bronze

Postby SmallK » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:05 pm

airwrecka wrote:
SmallK wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
Rigo wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
Thanks for the help.

According to FAFSA, I'm independent because I'm married, so I didn't put my parents' info on FAFSA. For the schools that I sent CSS to, though, I had to include my parents' info, so I did. Unless you're 30 (in most cases), you don't really have an option to leave them off of CSS.

Okay time to call them and ask for their tax returns. Hopefully they don't pull a Romney/Trump and leave me hanging. :mrgreen:

Or I can just go full child and send them my tax returns and tell them to have fun doing it for me.

Hahaha my parents refuse to let me see their info, so I had to enter all my personal info into the application, then send it to my mom and she entered my parents' stuff and then sent the app in for me, so I could never see it :lol:

FYI, a few schools did require it (Chicago, Penn, Berkeley, and NYU on my list). They all had a few exceptions that I didn't meet (I'm under 30 and not married), but if you're worried, I'd double check! On the plus side, it's wayyyyy easier to add them to FAFSA than CSS!

Hmmmm I already sent in NYU's app and I included my parents' info on the app, but I did not include them on FAFSA. Crap, now I'm worried...

You can resubmit an updated FAFSA (I did that -- sorry for the double submission, NYU!). You definitely might meet their exceptions though -- their financial aid office was really helpful and responsive when I reached out. I wouldn't worry at all, I'm sure you're fine :)

SmallK

Bronze

Postby SmallK » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:11 pm

Keilz wrote:
SmallK wrote:
Keilz wrote:
he is about to graduate medical school and has applied to MD residency programs, but there is a "match" process where you rank your programs and then the programs rank you and you are matched by a computer. It's binding so you have to go wherever you're matched.

My bf matches next year, and even though it'll be MUCH easier to coordinate as a 1L, I'm freaking out a little bit. Good luck to you guys!! That's got to be nerve wracking -- sending positive vibes for match day :)

Thanks! so good to find another person who gets it! My original plan was to go to law school last year, so it would've been easier to coordinate his program, but I needed to retake the LSAT so it put a big wrench in our plans. :(

Same! It's so weird trying to explain to people why he can't just choose the program he wants. That sucks about the LSAT, though -- I hope everything works out smoothly!!

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:16 pm

SmallK wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
SmallK wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
Rigo wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
Thanks for the help.

You can resubmit an updated FAFSA (I did that -- sorry for the double submission, NYU!). You definitely might meet their exceptions though -- their financial aid office was really helpful and responsive when I reached out. I wouldn't worry at all, I'm sure you're fine :)

Thanks :) I just read through the most recent e-mail I got from NYU regarding the financial aid app, and it says: "Parental information is not required on the FAFSA." So I think I'm good! It IS required on the NYU fin aid app itself (and I included it), but not on FAFSA. Yay!

SmallK

Bronze

Postby SmallK » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:20 pm

airwrecka wrote:Thanks :) I just read through the most recent e-mail I got from NYU regarding the financial aid app, and it says: "Parental information is not required on the FAFSA." So I think I'm good! It IS required on the NYU fin aid app itself (and I included it), but not on FAFSA. Yay!

Ah, I totally missed that! So glad I was wrong :) Sorry for causing panic!

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:21 pm

SmallK wrote:
Keilz wrote:
SmallK wrote:
Keilz wrote:
he is about to graduate medical school and has applied to MD residency programs, but there is a "match" process where you rank your programs and then the programs rank you and you are matched by a computer. It's binding so you have to go wherever you're matched.

My bf matches next year, and even though it'll be MUCH easier to coordinate as a 1L, I'm freaking out a little bit. Good luck to you guys!! That's got to be nerve wracking -- sending positive vibes for match day :)

Thanks! so good to find another person who gets it! My original plan was to go to law school last year, so it would've been easier to coordinate his program, but I needed to retake the LSAT so it put a big wrench in our plans. :(

Same! It's so weird trying to explain to people why he can't just choose the program he wants. That sucks about the LSAT, though -- I hope everything works out smoothly!!

Thank you!

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:29 pm

Keilz wrote:
SmallK wrote:
Keilz wrote:

Wow their are a good amount of Lawyer Doctor couples. One of my best friend's is getting ready to go to Med school and his girlfriend is gearing up for Law school.

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:40 pm

SmallK wrote:
Keilz wrote:

The match process is so odd. The concept is really fun and breeds a lot of excitment come match day but logistically, it seems really inconvenient.

(not dating a doctor but currently working for a med school)

laqueredup

Bronze

Postby laqueredup » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:41 pm

Last edited by laqueredup on Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:46 pm

laqueredup wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
Keilz wrote:
SmallK wrote:
Keilz wrote:

Wow their are a good amount of Lawyer Doctor couples. One of my best friend's is getting ready to go to Med school and his girlfriend is gearing up for Law school.

For you guys any good threads you've found on transferring to a similarly ranked school for geographic reasons associated with balancing two careers? In a similar boat but most of the transfer threads I've found are people wanting to transfer up from Tulane to Harvard or some such.

I've briefly looked up the transfer guide that is pinned on the transfer thread here. It starts with like "thinking about transferring? start here" or something. It looks good but I didn't read into it TOO much since I'll figure it out if the time arises.

Lucky for me, my bf had two interviews in Massachusetts, and I didn't apply to Harvard, so...we'll see if that's plausible later :lol:

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:47 pm

ashrice13 wrote:
SmallK wrote:
Keilz wrote:

The match process is so odd. The concept is really fun and breeds a lot of excitment come match day but logistically, it seems really inconvenient.

Most med students have taken at least a year or five off before starting (except my bf who didn't and is like the youngest in his class)...so you assume that many students are in LT relationships or married, or have children, so the match process basically guarantees that these people have to uproot their families, partner's jobs, and lives to move. I don't see how it is an optimal choice personally for anyone.

SmallK

Bronze

Postby SmallK » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:58 pm

Keilz wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
SmallK wrote:
Keilz wrote:

Most med students have taken at least a year or five off before starting (except my bf who didn't and is like the youngest in his class)...so you assume that many students are in LT relationships or married, or have children, so the match process basically guarantees that these people have to uproot their families, partner's jobs, and lives to move. I don't see how it is an optimal choice personally for anyone.

Yup, totally agree. It's for a considerable chunk of time (especially considering fellowships, etc.) and there's very little recourse if you get into one of your lower-ranked picks. At this point, we're just focused on figuring out the cities that have enough hospitals for him to flood with picks. Match day always sounds exciting, but I would hate to be the kid that gets bad news.

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:01 pm

SmallK wrote:
Keilz wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
SmallK wrote:
Keilz wrote:

Yup, totally agree. It's for a considerable chunk of time (especially considering fellowships, etc.) and there's very little recourse if you get into one of your lower-ranked picks. At this point, we're just focused on figuring out the cities that have enough hospitals for him to flood with picks. Match day always sounds exciting, but I would hate to be the kid that gets bad news.

Yeah, i've been hearing "what if I don't match" for like over a year now :roll: if that happened i'd be like "cool do some research for a year at UCSF while I'm chilling at Berkeley." lol

that's good for the cities to flood with picks. Also to rotate there too and develop those connections. My bf did that with NYC...NYU is both of our number ones, however, that and Columbia are the only two that I'm waiting to hear back from. I kind of underestimated the time that NYU would keep me waiting.

SmallK

Bronze

Postby SmallK » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:07 pm

Keilz wrote:
Yeah, i've been hearing "what if I don't match" for like over a year now :roll: if that happened i'd be like "cool do some research for a year at UCSF while I'm chilling at Berkeley." lol

that's good for the cities to flood with picks. Also to rotate there too and develop those connections. My bf did that with NYC...NYU is both of our number ones, however, that and Columbia are the only two that I'm waiting to hear back from. I kind of underestimated the time that NYU would keep me waiting.

Hahahah yea, the research option has DEFINITELY been tossed around. I have a few questions about rotating in other cities -- PMing you :)

amta

Platinum

Postby amta » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:55 pm

Pozzo wrote:

came here to see if you were J S 1 yet?

Pozzo

Gold

Postby Pozzo » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:02 pm

amta wrote:
Pozzo wrote:

came here to see if you were J S 1 yet?

Oh hai

Yeah, couple weeks ago. Hoping the gods of Cambridge smile upon me in the next JS2 wave.

cakerusk

New

Postby cakerusk » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:26 pm

Keilz wrote:
SmallK wrote:
Keilz wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
SmallK wrote:
Keilz wrote:

OR there are applicants like me who wait 3+ years for the doctor spouse to finish with residency/fellowship and THEN apply to LS in order to not compromise on school choice because of location or risk doing long-distance. Also, it made more sense financially, me being the sugar momma during his "trainee" days and now the tables will be turning this Fall. So ironically, its the LS applicant that'll be uprooting the familia (I have babies too!) and causing much anxiety :mrgreen: But gosh I remember match day - it was the happiest day of our lives lol.

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:28 pm

cakerusk wrote:
Keilz wrote:
SmallK wrote:
Keilz wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
SmallK wrote:
Keilz wrote:

OR there are applicants like me who wait 3+ years for the doctor spouse to finish with residency/fellowship and THEN apply to LS in order to not compromise on school choice because of location or risk doing long-distance. Also, it made more sense financially, me being the sugar momma during his "trainee" days and now the tables will be turning this Fall. So ironically, its the LS applicant that'll be uprooting the familia (I have babies too!) and causing much anxiety :mrgreen: But gosh I remember match day - it was the happiest day of our lives lol.

Haha it's nice to hear a different perspective! Yours does make sense, and it also makes sense to do LS after the residency is over since you don't want to base your job options on them too. Good luck with your big move to wherever you decide to attend!!

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:30 pm

Wow I need to find the other half of my power couple.

waldorf

Gold

Postby waldorf » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:34 pm

Rigo wrote:Wow I need to find the other half of my power couple.

RT. I've enjoyed my singledom the past few months (recently broke up with someone I dated for 3.5 years) but I wouldn't mind finding myself a doctor, engineer, or businessman..

I'm going to law school in a big city that has excellent med and business schools, so I'm sure I'll have ample opportunity! Lol.

haley12

Silver

Postby haley12 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:36 pm

Rigo wrote:Wow I need to find the other half of my power couple.

RT

RParadela

Silver

Postby RParadela » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:37 pm

Do I have to fill out FASFA if I'm not taking any loans or applying for need-based aid? I'm under the impression that I don't but I don't want to screw up here

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:39 pm

RParadela wrote:Do I have to fill out FASFA if I'm not taking any loans or applying for need-based aid? I'm under the impression that I don't but I don't want to screw up here

No loans at all? Then no.
It might be prudent to jic your situation changes though.

amta

Platinum

Postby amta » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:46 pm

Pozzo wrote:Oh hai

Yeah, couple weeks ago. Hoping the gods of Cambridge smile upon me in the next JS2 wave.

you're a svg and don't let anyone tell you different.

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:17 pm

I kinda want to change my username to Liz lemon lol

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?