TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

10
10
83%
9
0
No votes
8
1
8%
7
0
No votes
6
0
No votes
5
0
No votes
4
0
No votes
3
1
8%
2
0
No votes
1
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 12

User avatar
Smc1994

Silver
Posts: 681
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:58 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (wearable gadgets poll)

Postby Smc1994 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:44 pm

dasq5511 wrote:
Smc1994 wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
RParadela wrote:Do you guys actually read history books in your spare time? :shock:

Personally, I plan on reading as many non-intellectual books as I possibly be can before LS starts and I learn to hate reading


As someone who has read every single Star Wars extended universe novel, I suggest you read every single Star Wars extended universe novel.


Favorites? Thrawn Trilogy and Legacy of the Force were pretty good.


Thrawn is one of my favorite characters, but I'm definitely a Legacy of the Force die hard. By the time I got there, especially through the 19 book slugfest of the Yuuzahn Vong war, I felt much closer to the characters. I think my favorite line in any given novel is from Sacrifice,
[+] Spoiler
"Luke Skywalker felt a hand brush his hair, and as he reached out involuntarily to touch it, he knew his world had ended.


Tears.

User avatar
jstans

Bronze
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:12 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (wearable gadgets poll)

Postby jstans » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:57 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
RParadela wrote:Do you guys actually read history books in your spare time? :shock:

Personally, I plan on reading as many non-intellectual books as I possibly be can before LS starts and I learn to hate reading


Yeah I have read some history books to learn in my own time, but until I start school I'm currently on a mission to read every John Grisham novel


Big fan of anything by Pat Conroy. Just finished reading all his novels and can't say anything negative about a single book.

User avatar
dasq5511

Bronze
Posts: 195
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 3:52 am

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (wearable gadgets poll)

Postby dasq5511 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:17 pm

Smc1994 wrote:
dasq5511 wrote:
Smc1994 wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
RParadela wrote:Do you guys actually read history books in your spare time? :shock:

Personally, I plan on reading as many non-intellectual books as I possibly be can before LS starts and I learn to hate reading


As someone who has read every single Star Wars extended universe novel, I suggest you read every single Star Wars extended universe novel.


Favorites? Thrawn Trilogy and Legacy of the Force were pretty good.


Thrawn is one of my favorite characters, but I'm definitely a Legacy of the Force die hard. By the time I got there, especially through the 19 book slugfest of the Yuuzahn Vong war, I felt much closer to the characters. I think my favorite line in any given novel is from Sacrifice,
[+] Spoiler
"Luke Skywalker felt a hand brush his hair, and as he reached out involuntarily to touch it, he knew his world had ended.


Tears.


The whole Yuuzahn Vong was a little bit too bizarre for the Star Wars ~originalist~ in me. Favorite scene of all time has got to be when Luke
[+] Spoiler
holds Jacen down and lectures him without any physical effort

User avatar
Sarastro

Bronze
Posts: 389
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:25 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (wearable gadgets poll)

Postby Sarastro » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:46 pm

Speaking of scifi, has anyone been watching The Expanse? Second season just started up. Was so impressed with the first season I read all the books over the Fall/Winter. If you're into science fiction I can't recommend them highly enough.

User avatar
jstans

Bronze
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:12 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (wearable gadgets poll)

Postby jstans » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:42 pm

Just saw a headline that Trump quoted a law blog in defense of his immigration ban. We could make it to the tweeting thumbs of the POTUS, keep it up!!

User avatar
Baby Gaga

Bronze
Posts: 432
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:07 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (wearable gadgets poll)

Postby Baby Gaga » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:45 pm

Sarastro wrote:Speaking of scifi, has anyone been watching The Expanse? Second season just started up. Was so impressed with the first season I read all the books over the Fall/Winter. If you're into science fiction I can't recommend them highly enough.


I discovered this last week and am in the middle of the 1st season. So good!

User avatar
Assasindowntheavenue

Silver
Posts: 818
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (wearable gadgets poll)

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:13 pm

Smc1994 wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
RParadela wrote:Do you guys actually read history books in your spare time? :shock:

Personally, I plan on reading as many non-intellectual books as I possibly be can before LS starts and I learn to hate reading


As someone who has read every single Star Wars extended universe novel, I suggest you read every single Star Wars extended universe novel.


Can you (or other fans) explain the whole Star Wars craze? Never got it but am considering looking into them during the summer.

User avatar
Smc1994

Silver
Posts: 681
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:58 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (wearable gadgets poll)

Postby Smc1994 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:34 pm

Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
Smc1994 wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
RParadela wrote:Do you guys actually read history books in your spare time? :shock:



As someone who has read every single Star Wars extended universe novel, I suggest you read every single Star Wars extended universe novel.


Can you (or other fans) explain the whole Star Wars craze? Never got it but am considering looking into them during the summer.


Personally, I plan on reading as many non-intellectual books as I possibly be can before LS starts and I learn to hate reading

I meant to make this much longer, but I'm typing this on my phone. Sorry if it seems poorly formed, I can send you something longer when I'm back at my computer.

I thought you would never ask! First, we need to separate the original trilogy (OT), the extended universe (EU), the prequel trilogy (PT), and Disney's new storylines. The OT is, from an analytical standpoint, the hero's journey. I think that contributes to the disconnect between a lot of younger viewers and older ones, let alone the incredibly devoted fan base. However, viewed in context of its time, the OT serves as a catalyst for the proliferation of that particular thematic path in cinema. Furthermore, the OT pioneered modern special effects. When A New Hope (ANH) first premiered, millions of people fell in love with the magic that Lucas and his team used to bring the SW universe to life. Even today, watching the original-- that is, the non-edited footage rather than the updated anniversary editions-- movie, it's easy to appreciate how incredible some of those effects are.

Putting aside Star Wars's role in the zeitgeist, the EU--including the novels, comic books, collectible figurines, and video games-- allowed fans to immerse themselves in an incredibly large, and even more complex, galaxy. Throughout it's some forty years, the franchise has developed to parallel various cultural and political movements. Fans don't necessarily identify with the ruthless Empire or scrappy Rebellion as shown on screen, but, rather, the socio-political systems that they represent. Those group-identifications extend into other aspects of the EU: factionalized theocracies, bipolar geopolitical dynamics, principled republics crippled by bureaucracy and partisan interests. Star Wars is the human experience; the EU utilizes an incredibly large cast of POV characters to tell stories about human nature and conflict.

User avatar
forum_user

Silver
Posts: 844
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:40 am

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (wearable gadgets poll)

Postby forum_user » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:39 pm

Smc1994 wrote:
Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
Smc1994 wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
RParadela wrote:Do you guys actually read history books in your spare time? :shock:



As someone who has read every single Star Wars extended universe novel, I suggest you read every single Star Wars extended universe novel.


Can you (or other fans) explain the whole Star Wars craze? Never got it but am considering looking into them during the summer.


Personally, I plan on reading as many non-intellectual books as I possibly be can before LS starts and I learn to hate reading

I meant to make this much longer, but I'm typing this on my phone. Sorry if it seems poorly formed, I can send you something longer when I'm back at my computer.

I thought you would never ask! First, we need to separate the original trilogy (OT), the extended universe (EU), the prequel trilogy (PT), and Disney's new storylines. The OT is, from an analytical standpoint, the hero's journey. I think that contributes to the disconnect between a lot of younger viewers and older ones, let alone the incredibly devoted fan base. However, viewed in context of its time, the OT serves as a catalyst for the proliferation of that particular thematic path in cinema. Furthermore, the OT pioneered modern special effects. When A New Hope (ANH) first premiered, millions of people fell in love with the magic that Lucas and his team used to bring the SW universe to life. Even today, watching the original-- that is, the non-edited footage rather than the updated anniversary editions-- movie, it's easy to appreciate how incredible some of those effects are.

Putting aside Star Wars's role in the zeitgeist, the EU--including the novels, comic books, collectible figurines, and video games-- allowed fans to immerse themselves in an incredibly large, and even more complex, galaxy. Throughout it's some forty years, the franchise has developed to parallel various cultural and political movements. Fans don't necessarily identify with the ruthless Empire or scrappy Rebellion as shown on screen, but, rather, the socio-political systems that they represent. Those group-identifications extend into other aspects of the EU: factionalized theocracies, bipolar geopolitical dynamics, principled republics crippled by bureaucracy and partisan interests. Star Wars is the human experience; the EU utilizes an incredibly large cast of POV characters to tell stories about human nature and conflict.

Also Han Solo

User avatar
dasq5511

Bronze
Posts: 195
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 3:52 am

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (wearable gadgets poll)

Postby dasq5511 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:29 pm

Smc1994 wrote:
Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
Smc1994 wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
RParadela wrote:Do you guys actually read history books in your spare time? :shock:



As someone who has read every single Star Wars extended universe novel, I suggest you read every single Star Wars extended universe novel.


Can you (or other fans) explain the whole Star Wars craze? Never got it but am considering looking into them during the summer.


Personally, I plan on reading as many non-intellectual books as I possibly be can before LS starts and I learn to hate reading

I meant to make this much longer, but I'm typing this on my phone. Sorry if it seems poorly formed, I can send you something longer when I'm back at my computer.

I thought you would never ask! First, we need to separate the original trilogy (OT), the extended universe (EU), the prequel trilogy (PT), and Disney's new storylines. The OT is, from an analytical standpoint, the hero's journey. I think that contributes to the disconnect between a lot of younger viewers and older ones, let alone the incredibly devoted fan base. However, viewed in context of its time, the OT serves as a catalyst for the proliferation of that particular thematic path in cinema. Furthermore, the OT pioneered modern special effects. When A New Hope (ANH) first premiered, millions of people fell in love with the magic that Lucas and his team used to bring the SW universe to life. Even today, watching the original-- that is, the non-edited footage rather than the updated anniversary editions-- movie, it's easy to appreciate how incredible some of those effects are.

Putting aside Star Wars's role in the zeitgeist, the EU--including the novels, comic books, collectible figurines, and video games-- allowed fans to immerse themselves in an incredibly large, and even more complex, galaxy. Throughout it's some forty years, the franchise has developed to parallel various cultural and political movements. Fans don't necessarily identify with the ruthless Empire or scrappy Rebellion as shown on screen, but, rather, the socio-political systems that they represent. Those group-identifications extend into other aspects of the EU: factionalized theocracies, bipolar geopolitical dynamics, principled republics crippled by bureaucracy and partisan interests. Star Wars is the human experience; the EU utilizes an incredibly large cast of POV characters to tell stories about human nature and conflict.


well said

User avatar
shotgunheist

Bronze
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:38 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (wearable gadgets poll)

Postby shotgunheist » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:34 pm

Anyone else get like half their application responses immediately and then radio silence on the other half?

Pozzo

Gold
Posts: 1906
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:36 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (wearable gadgets poll)

Postby Pozzo » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:35 pm

shotgunheist wrote:Anyone else get like half their application responses immediately and then radio silence on the other half?

25/75 split for me

User avatar
waldorf

Gold
Posts: 2376
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:28 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (wearable gadgets poll)

Postby waldorf » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:37 pm

shotgunheist wrote:Anyone else get like half their application responses immediately and then radio silence on the other half?


Yes! Applied everywhere 11/15. Got half my decisions between December 1 - December 15. The other half took until mid-January, and I'm still waiting on a couple.

User avatar
jjcorvino

Silver
Posts: 1456
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:49 am

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (wearable gadgets poll)

Postby jjcorvino » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:38 pm

Pozzo wrote:
shotgunheist wrote:Anyone else get like half their application responses immediately and then radio silence on the other half?

25/75 split for me


For me it was more like 75 in a normal time frame and 25 ghosted.

User avatar
dietcoke1

Silver
Posts: 1326
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (wearable gadgets poll)

Postby dietcoke1 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:07 pm

little movement today.........

Keilz

Gold
Posts: 2319
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:35 am

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (wearable gadgets poll)

Postby Keilz » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:13 pm

jjcorvino wrote:
Pozzo wrote:
shotgunheist wrote:Anyone else get like half their application responses immediately and then radio silence on the other half?

25/75 split for me


For me it was more like 75 in a normal time frame and 25 ghosted.


For me it all the schools I've never been to in a normal time frame, and then my top two that I visited ghosted :lol:

User avatar
Sarastro

Bronze
Posts: 389
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:25 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (wearable gadgets poll)

Postby Sarastro » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:14 pm

shotgunheist wrote:Anyone else get like half their application responses immediately and then radio silence on the other half?

50% timely responses
25% sluggish movement
25% utterly ghosted

User avatar
dasq5511

Bronze
Posts: 195
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 3:52 am

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (wearable gadgets poll)

Postby dasq5511 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:15 pm

If anyone wants to privately discuss their options and how they're making the decision, PM me and we can add each other on FB. I still don't have all my responses, but I don't know a lot of people applying irl, and I figured it might be helpful to talk to people in a similar position.

User avatar
ashrice13

Gold
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:30 am

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (wearable gadgets poll)

Postby ashrice13 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:24 pm

shotgunheist wrote:Anyone else get like half their application responses immediately and then radio silence on the other half?

Received word from 3 schools, ghosted by the other 2.

Oddly enough, my acceptances have gone in USNWR ranking order. Only NYU and H (haha...like I could ever get in there) left. I'm guessing I will hear from them in that order, also.

Hennessy

Gold
Posts: 2516
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:54 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (wearable gadgets poll)

Postby Hennessy » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:02 pm

Pozzo wrote:
shotgunheist wrote:Anyone else get like half their application responses immediately and then radio silence on the other half?

25/75 split for me


75/25 split for me

User avatar
88234

Bronze
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:02 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (wearable gadgets poll)

Postby 88234 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:03 pm

HennessyVSOP wrote:
Pozzo wrote:
shotgunheist wrote:Anyone else get like half their application responses immediately and then radio silence on the other half?

25/75 split for me


75/25 split for me


Slow trickle, but my cycle has gone exactly as my numbers might suggest. That, for whatever reason, frustrates me.

User avatar
SybillAnnDorsett

Gold
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:59 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (wearable gadgets poll)

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:06 pm

The Schools From Which I Received a Decision Immediately Are Also the Schools I Don't Want To Attend - A Memoir, based on the novel Push by Sapphire.

User avatar
RParadela

Silver
Posts: 858
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:04 am

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (wearable gadgets poll)

Postby RParadela » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:09 pm

Getting into UVA w/ $ has been a huge help to my anxiety regarding LS. I know that I have a really good option in my back pocket so anything else is just a bonus at this point

Pozzo

Gold
Posts: 1906
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:36 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (wearable gadgets poll)

Postby Pozzo » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:23 pm

mm2368 wrote:The Schools From Which I Received a Decision Immediately Are Also the Schools I Don't Want To Attend - A Memoir, based on the novel Push by Sapphire.

:lol: :lol:

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver
Posts: 1225
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (wearable gadgets poll)

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:32 pm

shotgunheist wrote:Anyone else get like half their application responses immediately and then radio silence on the other half?


I can definitely relate!

Applied early to mid november
Received first wave of acceptances from my safeties a month later.
Radio Silence for like 2 months
Dings from the dream schools
Acceptances/Waitlists from the reaches/targets now!



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests