TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

Smc1994

Silver

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (wearable gadgets poll)

Postby Smc1994 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:44 pm

dasq5511 wrote:
Smc1994 wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
RParadela wrote:Do you guys actually read history books in your spare time? :shock:

Personally, I plan on reading as many non-intellectual books as I possibly be can before LS starts and I learn to hate reading

As someone who has read every single Star Wars extended universe novel, I suggest you read every single Star Wars extended universe novel.

Favorites? Thrawn Trilogy and Legacy of the Force were pretty good.

Thrawn is one of my favorite characters, but I'm definitely a Legacy of the Force die hard. By the time I got there, especially through the 19 book slugfest of the Yuuzahn Vong war, I felt much closer to the characters. I think my favorite line in any given novel is from Sacrifice,
[+] Spoiler
"Luke Skywalker felt a hand brush his hair, and as he reached out involuntarily to touch it, he knew his world had ended.

Tears.

jstans

Bronze

Postby jstans » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:57 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
RParadela wrote:Do you guys actually read history books in your spare time? :shock:

Personally, I plan on reading as many non-intellectual books as I possibly be can before LS starts and I learn to hate reading

Yeah I have read some history books to learn in my own time, but until I start school I'm currently on a mission to read every John Grisham novel

Big fan of anything by Pat Conroy. Just finished reading all his novels and can't say anything negative about a single book.

dasq5511

Bronze

Postby dasq5511 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:17 pm

Smc1994 wrote:
dasq5511 wrote:
Smc1994 wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:

As someone who has read every single Star Wars extended universe novel, I suggest you read every single Star Wars extended universe novel.

Favorites? Thrawn Trilogy and Legacy of the Force were pretty good.

Thrawn is one of my favorite characters, but I'm definitely a Legacy of the Force die hard. By the time I got there, especially through the 19 book slugfest of the Yuuzahn Vong war, I felt much closer to the characters. I think my favorite line in any given novel is from Sacrifice,
[+] Spoiler
"Luke Skywalker felt a hand brush his hair, and as he reached out involuntarily to touch it, he knew his world had ended.

Tears.

The whole Yuuzahn Vong was a little bit too bizarre for the Star Wars ~originalist~ in me. Favorite scene of all time has got to be when Luke
[+] Spoiler
holds Jacen down and lectures him without any physical effort

Sarastro

Bronze

Postby Sarastro » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:46 pm

Speaking of scifi, has anyone been watching The Expanse? Second season just started up. Was so impressed with the first season I read all the books over the Fall/Winter. If you're into science fiction I can't recommend them highly enough.

jstans

Bronze

Postby jstans » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:42 pm

Just saw a headline that Trump quoted a law blog in defense of his immigration ban. We could make it to the tweeting thumbs of the POTUS, keep it up!!

Baby Gaga

Bronze

Postby Baby Gaga » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:45 pm

Sarastro wrote:Speaking of scifi, has anyone been watching The Expanse? Second season just started up. Was so impressed with the first season I read all the books over the Fall/Winter. If you're into science fiction I can't recommend them highly enough.

I discovered this last week and am in the middle of the 1st season. So good!

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:13 pm

Smc1994 wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:

Can you (or other fans) explain the whole Star Wars craze? Never got it but am considering looking into them during the summer.

Smc1994

Silver

Postby Smc1994 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:34 pm

Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
Smc1994 wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:

Can you (or other fans) explain the whole Star Wars craze? Never got it but am considering looking into them during the summer.

I meant to make this much longer, but I'm typing this on my phone. Sorry if it seems poorly formed, I can send you something longer when I'm back at my computer.

I thought you would never ask! First, we need to separate the original trilogy (OT), the extended universe (EU), the prequel trilogy (PT), and Disney's new storylines. The OT is, from an analytical standpoint, the hero's journey. I think that contributes to the disconnect between a lot of younger viewers and older ones, let alone the incredibly devoted fan base. However, viewed in context of its time, the OT serves as a catalyst for the proliferation of that particular thematic path in cinema. Furthermore, the OT pioneered modern special effects. When A New Hope (ANH) first premiered, millions of people fell in love with the magic that Lucas and his team used to bring the SW universe to life. Even today, watching the original-- that is, the non-edited footage rather than the updated anniversary editions-- movie, it's easy to appreciate how incredible some of those effects are.

Putting aside Star Wars's role in the zeitgeist, the EU--including the novels, comic books, collectible figurines, and video games-- allowed fans to immerse themselves in an incredibly large, and even more complex, galaxy. Throughout it's some forty years, the franchise has developed to parallel various cultural and political movements. Fans don't necessarily identify with the ruthless Empire or scrappy Rebellion as shown on screen, but, rather, the socio-political systems that they represent. Those group-identifications extend into other aspects of the EU: factionalized theocracies, bipolar geopolitical dynamics, principled republics crippled by bureaucracy and partisan interests. Star Wars is the human experience; the EU utilizes an incredibly large cast of POV characters to tell stories about human nature and conflict.

forum_user

Silver

Postby forum_user » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:39 pm

Smc1994 wrote:
Smc1994 wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:

I meant to make this much longer, but I'm typing this on my phone. Sorry if it seems poorly formed, I can send you something longer when I'm back at my computer.

I thought you would never ask! First, we need to separate the original trilogy (OT), the extended universe (EU), the prequel trilogy (PT), and Disney's new storylines. The OT is, from an analytical standpoint, the hero's journey. I think that contributes to the disconnect between a lot of younger viewers and older ones, let alone the incredibly devoted fan base. However, viewed in context of its time, the OT serves as a catalyst for the proliferation of that particular thematic path in cinema. Furthermore, the OT pioneered modern special effects. When A New Hope (ANH) first premiered, millions of people fell in love with the magic that Lucas and his team used to bring the SW universe to life. Even today, watching the original-- that is, the non-edited footage rather than the updated anniversary editions-- movie, it's easy to appreciate how incredible some of those effects are.

Putting aside Star Wars's role in the zeitgeist, the EU--including the novels, comic books, collectible figurines, and video games-- allowed fans to immerse themselves in an incredibly large, and even more complex, galaxy. Throughout it's some forty years, the franchise has developed to parallel various cultural and political movements. Fans don't necessarily identify with the ruthless Empire or scrappy Rebellion as shown on screen, but, rather, the socio-political systems that they represent. Those group-identifications extend into other aspects of the EU: factionalized theocracies, bipolar geopolitical dynamics, principled republics crippled by bureaucracy and partisan interests. Star Wars is the human experience; the EU utilizes an incredibly large cast of POV characters to tell stories about human nature and conflict.

Also Han Solo

dasq5511

Bronze

Postby dasq5511 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:29 pm

Smc1994 wrote:
Smc1994 wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:

well said

shotgunheist

Bronze

Postby shotgunheist » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:34 pm

Anyone else get like half their application responses immediately and then radio silence on the other half?

Pozzo

Gold

Postby Pozzo » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:35 pm

shotgunheist wrote:Anyone else get like half their application responses immediately and then radio silence on the other half?

25/75 split for me

waldorf

Gold

Postby waldorf » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:37 pm

shotgunheist wrote:Anyone else get like half their application responses immediately and then radio silence on the other half?

Yes! Applied everywhere 11/15. Got half my decisions between December 1 - December 15. The other half took until mid-January, and I'm still waiting on a couple.

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:38 pm

Pozzo wrote:

25/75 split for me

For me it was more like 75 in a normal time frame and 25 ghosted.

dietcoke1

Silver

Postby dietcoke1 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:07 pm

little movement today.........

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:13 pm

jjcorvino wrote:
Pozzo wrote:

25/75 split for me

For me it was more like 75 in a normal time frame and 25 ghosted.

For me it all the schools I've never been to in a normal time frame, and then my top two that I visited ghosted :lol:

Sarastro

Bronze

Postby Sarastro » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:14 pm

50% timely responses
25% sluggish movement
25% utterly ghosted

dasq5511

Bronze

Postby dasq5511 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:15 pm

If anyone wants to privately discuss their options and how they're making the decision, PM me and we can add each other on FB. I still don't have all my responses, but I don't know a lot of people applying irl, and I figured it might be helpful to talk to people in a similar position.

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:24 pm

Received word from 3 schools, ghosted by the other 2.

Oddly enough, my acceptances have gone in USNWR ranking order. Only NYU and H (haha...like I could ever get in there) left. I'm guessing I will hear from them in that order, also.

Hennessy

Gold

Postby Hennessy » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:02 pm

Pozzo wrote:

25/75 split for me

75/25 split for me

Bronze

Postby 88234 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:03 pm

HennessyVSOP wrote:
Pozzo wrote:

25/75 split for me

75/25 split for me

Slow trickle, but my cycle has gone exactly as my numbers might suggest. That, for whatever reason, frustrates me.

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:06 pm

The Schools From Which I Received a Decision Immediately Are Also the Schools I Don't Want To Attend - A Memoir, based on the novel Push by Sapphire.

RParadela

Silver

Postby RParadela » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:09 pm

Getting into UVA w/ $ has been a huge help to my anxiety regarding LS. I know that I have a really good option in my back pocket so anything else is just a bonus at this point

Pozzo

Gold

Postby Pozzo » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:23 pm

mm2368 wrote:The Schools From Which I Received a Decision Immediately Are Also the Schools I Don't Want To Attend - A Memoir, based on the novel Push by Sapphire.

:lol: :lol:

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:32 pm

I can definitely relate!

Applied early to mid november
Received first wave of acceptances from my safeties a month later.
Radio Silence for like 2 months
Dings from the dream schools
Acceptances/Waitlists from the reaches/targets now!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?