TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

Mikey

Platinum

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby Mikey » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:31 am

benwyatt wrote:
TheMikey wrote:
benwyatt wrote:I may have made it once before, but I'll echo Hilde's offer to be a resource and I'd argue I was even more involved in the process than she was because I have an obsessive need to collect information. Classes at CLS start in mid august and I may not have time to read PS's and such after that point (who knows how busy I'll be) but I'm definitely happy to help out if I can, just tag me in a post or send me a PM if you want my attention.

Do you have any advice on coming up with PS ideas? I've sat down and brainstormed but came up with crap.

Thanks!!

The PS advice I always give people is to sit down and think about what story the rest of your application is telling. Who are your letters of rec from? What are they going to say about you? What does your undergraduate transcript say about you? Your resume? Think about the story your application is telling without a PS and then decide one thing that's being left out that you really want the adcomms to know. That's your PS topic.

Thanks! I will keep this in mind as the day goes along since I'm currently trying to come up with ideas. I'm actually in the process atm of emailing my second professor that I believe will give me a LOR :p

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:38 am

Last edited by Mikey on Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woopig2017

New

Postby woopig2017 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:41 am

^ I'd say it's kinda cheesy, I'd really stick with your first part. Generally I think professors want to be appreciated for writing LOR's, but in this kind of email I also think its better to keep them brief, very polite, and to the point.

pretzeltime

Gold

Postby pretzeltime » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:57 am

Last edited by pretzeltime on Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

R. Jeeves

Gold

Postby R. Jeeves » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:58 am

i would def ditch that bolded part

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:16 pm

pretzeltime wrote:agreed with pig, don't overthink/overdo

Dear Person,

I hope all is well and that you're enjoying your doctoral program.

I was hoping to take you up on your offer to write an LOR back in XYZ class.

like I don't think you need to introduce yourself given that your email address does it etc etc etc

R. Jeeves wrote:i would def ditch that bolded part

woopig2017 wrote:^ I'd say it's kinda cheesy, I'd really stick with your first part. Generally I think professors want to be appreciated for writing LOR's, but in this kind of email I also think its better to keep them brief, very polite, and to the point.

Thanks guys, I just sent the email to her. I cut out the bolded part and just made the email right to the point.

rationalhound

New

Postby rationalhound » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:25 pm

Checking in to both this thread and the zero ideas for personal statement club. It's good to be back.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:58 pm

benwyatt wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
RamTitan wrote:I'm guessing you get fee waivers based off of your LSAT score?

LSAT and GPA I think. I'm not sure if one's more heavily weighted than the other but.. yeah. I also think that some might give fee waivers to those who might interest them in other ways/to get their app numbers up because I got a fee waiver from Georgetown but, from what I remember, my numbers don't quite add up to being impressive but I'm also URM so idk if that matters...

I don't have my GPA loaded into LSAC yet, so that makes me feel better lol.

For the record, LSAT will always carry more weight than GPA. In any application cycle, there are exponentially more high GPAs than there are high LSATs. That's not to say that a high GPA can't help you overcome a low LSAT in some circumstances, but high LSATs are always in higher demand.

I am aware

benwyatt

Platinum

Postby benwyatt » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:19 pm

RamTitan wrote:
benwyatt wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

LSAT and GPA I think. I'm not sure if one's more heavily weighted than the other but.. yeah. I also think that some might give fee waivers to those who might interest them in other ways/to get their app numbers up because I got a fee waiver from Georgetown but, from what I remember, my numbers don't quite add up to being impressive but I'm also URM so idk if that matters...

For the record, LSAT will always carry more weight than GPA. In any application cycle, there are exponentially more high GPAs than there are high LSATs. That's not to say that a high GPA can't help you overcome a low LSAT in some circumstances, but high LSATs are always in higher demand.

I am aware

I was more responding to brinicolec

caitlinrw

Bronze

Postby caitlinrw » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:44 pm

Checking in, also got a fee waiver from GULC as well, though hoping to stay in the Florida area (Florida native), as I'm not really interested in big law. Can't wait to start off this cycle!

caitlinrw

Bronze

Postby caitlinrw » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:49 pm

legallyadog wrote:Checking in!

Got a call from Florida International University yesterday asking if I wanted a fee waiver. One of the most awkward conversations I think I've ever had. Please just send me an email that I can ignore and not have to talk to a live person...

Got the same call from their BLSA, and I'm not sure I even have it considered as a safety, even though I want to stay in Florida for school lol

TexasENG

Silver

Postby TexasENG » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:00 pm

Not sure if I should go with the PS i wrote last year or write a new one. I've been trying to think of new topics but everything I've started to write hasn't felt very good... Not sure where to go from here.

rationalhound

New

Postby rationalhound » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:32 pm

TexasENG wrote:Not sure if I should go with the PS i wrote last year or write a new one. I've been trying to think of new topics but everything I've started to write hasn't felt very good... Not sure where to go from here.

Has anything substantial changed in your application since last cycle? If not, a new PS is probably your best bet to improve on your results. I hope it is anyways, since I'm banking on a new shiny essay to do better this time around. Speaking of which, I should go back to working on that.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:38 pm

benwyatt wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
benwyatt wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

I am aware

I was more responding to brinicolec

Ah, gotcha

TexasENG

Silver

Postby TexasENG » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:32 pm

rationalhound wrote:
TexasENG wrote:Not sure if I should go with the PS i wrote last year or write a new one. I've been trying to think of new topics but everything I've started to write hasn't felt very good... Not sure where to go from here.

Has anything substantial changed in your application since last cycle? If not, a new PS is probably your best bet to improve on your results. I hope it is anyways, since I'm banking on a new shiny essay to do better this time around. Speaking of which, I should go back to working on that.

So for last year I only applied to 1 school as part time, but due to work situation being more fluid than I had expected I wasn't able to attend part time this fall.

rationalhound

New

Postby rationalhound » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:26 pm

TexasENG wrote:So for last year I only applied to 1 school as part time, but due to work situation being more fluid than I had expected I wasn't able to attend part time this fall.

Well then shit, you should be fine with the old essay.

R. Jeeves

Gold

Postby R. Jeeves » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:00 am

i guess texasENGs situation is unique so he can use the same statement

but in general youre supposed to have a new PS if you reapply, right?

i applied in a previous cycle and since then my LSAT has gone up and I have gained some WE. shouldnt i still write a new PS though?

id love to get away with submitting my old one since a UChi adcomm told me that it was dank when I interviewed with them last time, and im not getting much inspiration for this new one. im worried that ill like be the m night shamalan of ps writing.

rationalhound

New

Postby rationalhound » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:49 am

R. Jeeves wrote:i guess texasENGs situation is unique so he can use the same statement

i applied in a previous cycle and since then my LSAT has gone up and I have gained some WE. shouldnt i still write a new PS though?

id love to get away with submitting my old one since a UChi adcomm told me that it was dank when I interviewed with them last time, and im not getting much inspiration for this new one. im worried that ill like be the m night shamalan of ps writing.

I'm not sure there's a hard and fast rule on this. If Chicago loved your personal statement, I'd send it to them again. If you don't write anything better than you did last time, you might want to keep the same PS for your other applications. A new LSAT sounds like a good reason for re-applying for me. Hell, keep the same PS for the schools that accepted you and use the new one for the schools that didn't. To be fair, I'm guessing here just as much as you. Like I said earlier, I'm pretty sure my PS was garbage last time round so I'm tossing it and starting from scratch.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:11 pm

R. Jeeves wrote:i guess texasENGs situation is unique so he can use the same statement

Maybe you should try asking in that thread that's got former adcomm ppl on it. They'd probably know how adcomms feel about this --- or you could call one of the admissions offices for a school you're interested in. I wouldn't want to think it's fine then have it come off as lazy to some adcomm that somehow figured out it's the same one

Edit: I'm personally a fan of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" concept for this since adcomms complimented it, but you never know...

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:29 pm

Just got the email from my 2nd professor for a LOR saying she'd be happy to do it 8) 8) 8)

TexasENG

Silver

Postby TexasENG » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:51 pm

TheMikey wrote:Just got the email from my 2nd professor for a LOR saying she'd be happy to do it 8) 8) 8)

Nice! Its probs better to get them from profs before classes start so they have some more time.

I wish I had kept in contact with my profs better. I'm concerned that my LORs are only from employers post graduation, but having a professor write one from 4+ years ago probably wouldn't be much better. :cry:

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:56 pm

TexasENG wrote:
TheMikey wrote:Just got the email from my 2nd professor for a LOR saying she'd be happy to do it 8) 8) 8)

Nice! Its probs better to get them from profs before classes start so they have some more time.

I wish I had kept in contact with my profs better. I'm concerned that my LORs are only from employers post graduation, but having a professor write one from 4+ years ago probably wouldn't be much better. :cry:

This professor isn't a professor anymore, she went onto do other things but I'm thankful that she will gladly write one for me.

It sucks you don't have contact with not even 1 professor. I'm not too sure how the whole 'employer LOR only' thing plays out if you've been out of UG only 4 years. I don't think it will have a HUGE negative impact on you though.

Ahh, so relieved that I got my 2 LORs out of the way, now to just wait until they both submit them. Now to kill the LSAT and stop being a lazy fukk with my PS and Why X essays!

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:58 pm

Does anyone have any advice on how to format my resume to send to my LOR professor? She asked for one but the layout I have it as is for looking for internship/jobs. Should I just keep it that way but change the part where I write stuff about looking for a position into something like "looking to further my education in lawl schoolz" or some basic crap like that?

archipm

Bronze

Postby archipm » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:25 pm

TheMikey wrote:Does anyone have any advice on how to format my resume to send to my LOR professor? She asked for one but the layout I have it as is for looking for internship/jobs. Should I just keep it that way but change the part where I write stuff about looking for a position into something like "looking to further my education in lawl schoolz" or some basic crap like that?

If she agreed to write you a LOR for law school apps then she already knows you are looking to further your education in law school. This will also be true of every law school you apply to. If you have a specific career goal within the legal field that isn't already clear in any of the other materials you are providing her then I suppose you could mention it there. That said, objectives section is usually unnecessary resume filler imo. I'm willing to bet that even if you are a K-JD you have some skill or experience to put on your resume that is more compelling/says more about you than "I am a person who wants to go to law school." Use the space on the page for that instead.
Last edited by archipm on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

R. Jeeves

Gold

Postby R. Jeeves » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:37 pm

TheMikey wrote:Does anyone have any advice on how to format my resume to send to my LOR professor? She asked for one but the layout I have it as is for looking for internship/jobs. Should I just keep it that way but change the part where I write stuff about looking for a position into something like "looking to further my education in lawl schoolz" or some basic crap like that?

It should be perfectly fine if you do this.

But like archipm said you could probably just get rid of the objective section entirely.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?