TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (wearable gadgets poll)

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:03 pm

TexasENG wrote:Surprised at the wearable hate in here. I figured with all the Apple fanbois there's be people rocking apple watches or at least fitbits

fitbit don't count, i voted no bc im not boojee bish

TexasENG

Silver

Postby TexasENG » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:07 pm

Last edited by TexasENG on Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:13 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
TexasENG wrote:Surprised at the wearable hate in here. I figured with all the Apple fanbois there's be people rocking apple watches or at least fitbits

lol I think it's bougy based on bourgeoise

Baby Gaga

Bronze

Postby Baby Gaga » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:17 pm

I voted yes cuz I'm both bad and boujee

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:20 pm

Last edited by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash on Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:22 pm

things are reaching fever pitch

Smc1994

Silver

Postby Smc1994 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:28 pm

Keilz wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:

lol I think it's bougy based on bourgeoise

We once had an Eboard debate about this in my frat. The OED defines bougie as "a thin, flexible surgical instrument used for exploring or dilating a passage of the body".

Dues were well spent that term.

RParadela

Silver

Postby RParadela » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:44 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
RParadela wrote:

The GoPro on my dick option put it over the top

Yeah I would have gone yes if there wasn't a GoPro dick option

FSU kids know about that life

appind

Gold

Postby appind » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:44 pm

Alexandros wrote:
appind wrote:i mean the deans don't stay forever, right. it's the school at B that itself seems to act differently wrt ranking than the other top schools without any solid reason, not that it's a bad thing. Schools like H Y Col Chi are all top schools but they care about lsat median.

I wonder if Berk's stinginess might account for the lower numbers. I'm not 100% convinced they're that holistic.
Also the ranking thing might have something to do with the fact that the only other t14 in the vicinity is Stanford.
All pure speculation, though.

excellent insight, i think that is probably a strong factor. they want to improve lsat medians and thus their rankings but can't because they don't dole out much cash. it makes sense.

with UG, i think berkeley is very numbers driven. i mean all law schools care about rankings, even Yale. if they simply began to assume they will be the topmost forever without putting efforts maintaining medians etc then it'd not be long before they are not.

canafsa

Bronze

Postby canafsa » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:02 pm

Last edited by canafsa on Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:35 pm

canafsa wrote:
appind wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
appind wrote:i mean the deans don't stay forever, right. it's the school at B that itself seems to act differently wrt ranking than the other top schools without any solid reason, not that it's a bad thing. Schools like H Y Col Chi are all top schools but they care about lsat median.

I wonder if Berk's stinginess might account for the lower numbers. I'm not 100% convinced they're that holistic.
Also the ranking thing might have something to do with the fact that the only other t14 in the vicinity is Stanford.

excellent insight, i think that is probably a strong factor. they want to improve lsat medians and thus their rankings but can't because they don't dole out much cash. it makes sense.

with UG, i think berkeley is very numbers driven. i mean all law schools care about rankings, even Yale. if they simply began to assume they will be the topmost forever without putting efforts maintaining medians etc then it'd not be long before they are not.

Stanford stands out to me. They are definitely situated to push their median LSAT up, especially given their small class size. They nevertheless seem to decline to do so. Hell, they don't even offer merit scholarships to ensure the +75ers that they do admit actually enroll.

Stanford has so little reason to change anything. HYS gon HYS

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:37 pm

With Berk it probably is just moreso a product of being stingy. I think they're changing up their financial aid this year to hopefully attract a stronger class.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:40 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
canafsa wrote:
appind wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

Stanford stands out to me. They are definitely situated to push their median LSAT up, especially given their small class size. They nevertheless seem to decline to do so. Hell, they don't even offer merit scholarships to ensure the +75ers that they do admit actually enroll.

Stanford has so little reason to change anything. HYS gon HYS

^ Yep.
I think they're historically higher on GPA than H, even if they're a bit lower on the LSAT.

I'd totally support HYS introducing merit scholarships tho. :lol:

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:40 pm

Without a pull to the west coast or Berk in particular, I bet most people choose more generous offers at UVA/Duke/Michigan. Those schools have better Biglaw placement anyways.

I know a lot of qualified friends haven't even applied to Berkeley past years because the scholly matching program basically conceded that Berkeley would never be the best financial option. So why bother.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:50 pm

Rigo wrote:Without a pull to the west coast or Berk in particular, I bet most people choose more generous offers at UVA/Duke/Michigan. Those schools have better Biglaw placement anyways.

I know a lot of qualified friends haven't even applied to Berkeley past years because the scholly matching program basically conceded that Berkeley would never be the best financial option. So why bother.

Exactly. If it's between a Dillard or whatever and less $$ at Berk, no incentive to take Berk unless you have some other strong reason.
I really do hope they change up their scholly procedure and start being more generous going forward.

R. Jeeves

Gold

Postby R. Jeeves » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:55 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:things are reaching fever pitch

ur welcome

appind

Gold

Postby appind » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:08 pm

canafsa wrote:
appind wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

i think alex hit it right on the head and may have solved this puzzle. it's not that Berk picks lower-numbers applicant over a higher-number due to softs or other holistic elements, it's that higher-numbers applicants don't apply in the same proportion due to lesser money or when accepted they favor other schools for money. that is, Berk like other similarly ranked schools will pick a 167 with relatively poor softs over a 165 with strong softs. but a 167 isn't as likely to come to Berk as to other closely ranked schools. as a result, because they wouldn't give money Berk ends up having a lower LSAT median, not that they preferred it that way. if Berk could improve their numbers with the same amount of money, they'd happily do so.

this applies to Stan as well. they are not as desperate to push their LSAT numbers up because they are already #2, but it's not because of lack of trying. they definitely try to make their median 172/173 but are unable to do so with the budgeted scholly money they have.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:15 pm

Plus I think a majority of people pick H over S if given the option anyways, because who doesn't want to impress laypeople from their hometown with the H bomb?

curry1

Silver

Postby curry1 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:29 pm

Alexandros wrote:
Rigo wrote:Without a pull to the west coast or Berk in particular, I bet most people choose more generous offers at UVA/Duke/Michigan. Those schools have better Biglaw placement anyways.

Exactly. If it's between a Dillard or whatever and less $$ at Berk, no incentive to take Berk unless you have some other strong reason.
I really do hope they change up their scholly procedure and start being more generous going forward.

Important point ignored in this discussion: Berkeley's law school has a very low endowment (and limited funding coming in from the state) so it really can't afford to give higher scholarships. This isn't a matter of "[berkeley going to berk]" but instead about institutional financial limitations. I'm sure they would love to shell out additional money to boost their numbers, but they simply can't. Even though I want to work in California, I didn't bother apply ing to berkeley because I knew it would never be the best financial option for me (I have numbers that make me likely at HYS and half scholarship at CCN).
Last edited by curry1 on Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

curry1

Silver

Postby curry1 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:30 pm

Instrumental

Silver

Postby Instrumental » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:43 pm

Rigo wrote:Plus I think a majority of people pick H over S if given the option anyways, because who doesn't want to impress laypeople from their hometown with the H bomb?

Given that both are reaches, it's probably not a choice I'll have the luxury of making, but I have thought hard about which I would choose between the two and am still not entirely sure. That Bae Bay Area life sure beats New England.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:03 pm

Some of that may just be self selection though. I know they are big on PI.

R. Jeeves

Gold

Postby R. Jeeves » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:15 pm

Instrumental wrote:That Bae Bay Area life sure beats New England.

ive done both. Cambridge/Boston >> Palo Alto.

If you have SF in mind, then yeah it's great but it's like a 40 min drive from stanford. Idk what its like to live in other parts of new england but cambridge is literally #1.

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:26 pm

R. Jeeves wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:things are reaching fever pitch

ur welcome

sup jeeves

Instrumental

Silver

Postby Instrumental » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:41 pm

R. Jeeves wrote:
Instrumental wrote:That Bae Bay Area life sure beats New England.

ive done both. Cambridge/Boston >> Palo Alto.

If you have SF in mind, then yeah it's great but it's like a 40 min drive from stanford. Idk what its like to live in other parts of new england but cambridge is literally #1.

I'mma need that ranking to account for snowfall and days below freezing temps :lol:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?