TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

ashrice13

Gold

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (taking poll suggestions)

Postby ashrice13 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:07 am

fips tedora wrote:
call-me-bubbles wrote:
fips tedora wrote:Do not attend BYU if you are not Mormon. You're gonna have a bad time.

Just the idea of law school without coffee is terrifying...

You're forgetting sex. They're not having any of that either.

That's what we think

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Postby call-me-bubbles » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:33 am

Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TexasENG

Silver

Postby TexasENG » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:12 am

Last edited by TexasENG on Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CPA-->JD

Bronze

Postby CPA-->JD » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:30 am

TexasENG wrote:
chandhi wrote:New MS9 data up, but I didn't see anything too surprising in it. Thoughts?

The decrease in the top score bands has got to be freaking some of the admissions teams out. For 99% scores (172 +), there are 1019 applicants total. For the T5 (these are the only schools that have at least one of their LSAT bands in these score ranges), they need 675 of the 1019 applicants to matriculate to maintain their class size and Median / 75th. I wouldn't be surprised to see some significant drops in 25th GPA / LSATs at the top schools as they try to game the system with splitters to hold their medians and 75ths up.

How many were there last year of the 99% scores?

dhbiv

Bronze

Postby dhbiv » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:48 am

Last edited by dhbiv on Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:05 am

dhbiv wrote:It would be interesting to see GPA data as well (not sure if it's possible since you could probably dox someone pretty easily knowing their 170+ LSAT score and GPA). I wonder how many of the 99th percentile scorers have GPAs at or above median for T5 schools. Just glancing at the pending Harvard applicants this cycle on LSN, there are quite a few people with 172+ scores with well below median GPA for Harvard. Also, I understand that LSN probably isn't representative, but the discrepancy is an interesting statistic nonetheless.

I was personally surprised by how many high scorers had insane GPA's. I always thought my GPA was strong, but I guess literal straight A's is the norm.

Also, A+ would have been a god send, but whatev I'm not salty....

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:07 am

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
dhbiv wrote:It would be interesting to see GPA data as well (not sure if it's possible since you could probably dox someone pretty easily knowing their 170+ LSAT score and GPA). I wonder how many of the 99th percentile scorers have GPAs at or above median for T5 schools. Just glancing at the pending Harvard applicants this cycle on LSN, there are quite a few people with 172+ scores with well below median GPA for Harvard. Also, I understand that LSN probably isn't representative, but the discrepancy is an interesting statistic nonetheless.

I was personally surprised by how many high scorers had insane GPA's. I always thought my GPA was strong, but I guess literal straight A's is the norm.

I am one of those splitters, I am hoping that there are more like me than perfect GPA plus perfect LSAT.

TexasENG

Silver

Postby TexasENG » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:14 am

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:17 am

TexasENG wrote:
CPA-->JD wrote:
TexasENG wrote:
chandhi wrote:New MS9 data up, but I didn't see anything too surprising in it. Thoughts?

The decrease in the top score bands has got to be freaking some of the admissions teams out. For 99% scores (172 +), there are 1019 applicants total. For the T5 (these are the only schools that have at least one of their LSAT bands in these score ranges), they need 675 of the 1019 applicants to matriculate to maintain their class size and Median / 75th. I wouldn't be surprised to see some significant drops in 25th GPA / LSATs at the top schools as they try to game the system with splitters to hold their medians and 75ths up.

How many were there last year of the 99% scores?

From my calculations I got 1393 from last year.

Was that from this same point last year? I have to imagine that this data would be pretty close to capturing top scoring applicants for this cycle (I cannot imagine that many top applicants apply for the first time in February).

TexasENG

Silver

Postby TexasENG » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:34 am

quigleyest

New

Postby quigleyest » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:51 am

173/3.65 .... first app complete at CLS on 1/20, HLS complete 1/23
pumped the brakes on my cycle because of lateness and running short on $$.

Are more T6 applications worth the money because of the drop in 170+ scorers? Would Any more of HYS or CCN be worth the money, particularly S or NYU? Uchicago gets a negative rep on here. Currently live in NYC... and came from the midwest. not too keen to return

attorney in my office with T6 full ride advises me to not rush to law school. feeling lost because of my dead end position (paralegal in public interest)

Advice would be very much appreciated!

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:01 am

jjcorvino wrote:

I am one of those splitters, I am hoping that there are more like me than perfect GPA plus perfect LSAT.

Yeah, luckily my LSAT score isnt so high that I split anywhere, I'm just not expecting much from hys. I think the most underrated effect of lower high applicants will be schools looking further down the GPAs at a certain lsat

Monday

Silver

Postby Monday » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:09 am

Last edited by Monday on Wed May 10, 2017 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

quigleyest

New

Postby quigleyest » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:24 am

Monday wrote:
quigleyest wrote:173/3.65 .... first app complete at CLS on 1/20, HLS complete 1/23
pumped the brakes on my cycle because of lateness and running short on $$.

Are more T6 applications worth the money because of the drop in 170+ scorers? Would Any more of HYS or CCN be worth the money, particularly S or NYU? Uchicago gets a negative rep on here. Currently live in NYC... and came from the midwest. not too keen to return

attorney in my office with T6 full ride advises me to not rush to law school. feeling lost because of my dead end position (paralegal in public interest)

Advice would be very much appreciated!

Well, it's not a choice between applying this cycle and never attending law school, so the fact that your position is a dead end position isn't quite important. The advice of not rushing to law school is sound and echoed often here: there is absolutely no reason to rush into it, especially if the possibility of a better LSAT score from a retake exists.

Also, even if you were to apply next cycle, you don't have to stay at your dead end job. There are so many other opportunities, take the time to explore (especially before you get locked into being an attorney). If you are seriously entertaining applying early next cycle, then approach this cycle as an aggressive one. Don't bother applying to safety schools, and if you don't get into your dream schools, apply next year after a retake.

Right. I understand that I don't have to attend a school in the fall. I just think that school/being an attorney would potentially be a better use of my time than another 6-9 months of being a paralegal. I was wondering overall, if given the trend in data from this cycle, would it make a Stanford application worth the $$? Hardly anyone gets accepted to HYS with a 3.6, but would this cycle maybe lead to an unexpected result?

Also, is there any body of advice on deferring an admission (like a CCN) and then being able to negotiate a decent scholarship for the year that I matriculate? Or would I be better off reapplying to a complete set of schools to have scholarship offers for negotiating with?

RParadela

Silver

Postby RParadela » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:35 am

proteinshake wrote:so what's that the numerical difference between 170 scorers this time last year and now?

This. I'm at 170 so I'm wondering what it means for us as well. I'm hoping it means that 170 acts more like a 171 than usual

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:49 am

I'm from Wisconsin/Minnesota, does that make me Midwest or Great Lakes region? JK, google has answered me. Great Lakes it is!

RParadela wrote:
proteinshake wrote:so what's that the numerical difference between 170 scorers this time last year and now?

This. I'm at 170 so I'm wondering what it means for us as well. I'm hoping it means that 170 acts more like a 171 than usual

My anecdotal evidence of my own cycle so far seems to indicate that my 170 is working quite nicely, better than I expected, in fact. Although maybe my apps are doing well for other reasons, I do not know!

sdb

New

Postby sdb » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:05 pm

What's the consensus on sending updated resumes to schools to which one has already applied?

Since submitting most of my applications, I've picked up a new, relevant leadership position that includes research directly related to my interests as described in my application, as well as two new academic honors. I don't want to be obnoxious/impatient, but I'm also counting on the softs in my application to give me a slight chance of acceptance, as my numbers are low and most of my schools are reaches.

Thoughts? I appreciate you all.

Edit: sorry if this is the wrong forum for this question. I read through some others and didn't find much information.

Dodocogon

Silver

Postby Dodocogon » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:11 pm

sdb wrote:What's the consensus on sending updated resumes to schools to which one has already applied?

Since submitting most of my applications, I've picked up a new, relevant leadership position that includes research directly related to my interests as described in my application, as well as two new academic honors. I don't want to be obnoxious/impatient, but I'm also counting on the softs in my application to give me a slight chance of acceptance, as my numbers are low and most of my schools are reaches.

Edit: sorry if this is the wrong forum for this question. I read through some others and didn't find much information.

I'd say adding anything positive to your app is good to do - you can also use it as a sign of interest etc. when you send it over.

RParadela

Silver

Postby RParadela » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:30 pm

sdb wrote:What's the consensus on sending updated resumes to schools to which one has already applied?

I think it depends on your goals and how you feel about your admissions chances. An updated resume is a great thing for a LOCI

chandhi

Gold

Postby chandhi » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:07 pm

jjcorvino wrote:

I'm a barely-spliiter - moderately high scorer and moderately low GPA, so I'm hoping there's a tiny chance that either Stanford or Harvard looks at my numbers and decides I won't screw up their stats too badly.

The_Pluviophile

Bronze

Postby The_Pluviophile » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:22 pm

This may have already been addressed here, but what's the expectation regarding sending in Fall grades (for us still in undergrad)? I only ask because I spent the semester abroad, and I don't yet have access to my transcript (the semester just ended for that university, and grades still aren't in). I of course have no idea how long it will take for grades to be finalized or for them to send me the transcript once that happens. Should I inform schools I haven't yet been accepted to and let them know why I haven't sent them a new transcript, or just leave it be?

Sincerely,
Paranoid law applicant who doesn't want schools to think I'm trying to hide something.

NotAGolfer

Silver

Postby NotAGolfer » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:56 pm

jjcorvino wrote:

+1

Kopetz

Bronze

Postby Kopetz » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:06 pm

NotAGolfer wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:

+1

same

VA2lawschool

Bronze

Postby VA2lawschool » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:52 pm

Apologies because I know this has been asked, but did we ever reach a consensus on whether a LOCI may ever be appropriate, if you haven't yet been deferred or waitlisted? Particularly for HYS if you submitted early but haven't heard a peep, and may have updates (new job, etc).

amta

Platinum

Postby amta » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:54 pm

VA2lawschool wrote:Apologies because I know this has been asked, but did we ever reach a consensus on whether a LOCI may ever be appropriate, if you haven't yet been deferred or waitlisted? Particularly for HYS if you submitted early but haven't heard a peep, and may have updates (new job, etc).

viewtopic.php?t=60839

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?