TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

PrezRand

Gold

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby PrezRand » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:32 pm

EnfieldTennisChamp wrote:
PrezRand wrote:Checking in! When should an applicant start applying for a fee waiver?

Do you mean LSAC's fee waiver? I wish I would have done it way sooner, because I found out I could have had the CAS and LSAT fees waived...after I had already paid for them. I only looked into the fee waiver because I didn't want to pay the $30/report. :/

I got a really quick decision from LSAC and then just had to fax them my 1040 from last year. All the schools I applied to so far have automatically waived application fees based on my LSAC waiver.

I'm actually unfamiliar with fee waivers for law school applications. Is there a difference between the LSAC fee waiver and law schools waiving the fee?

EnfieldTennisChamp

Bronze

Postby EnfieldTennisChamp » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:54 pm

PrezRand wrote:
EnfieldTennisChamp wrote:
PrezRand wrote:Checking in! When should an applicant start applying for a fee waiver?

Do you mean LSAC's fee waiver? I wish I would have done it way sooner, because I found out I could have had the CAS and LSAT fees waived...after I had already paid for them. I only looked into the fee waiver because I didn't want to pay the $30/report. :/

I got a really quick decision from LSAC and then just had to fax them my 1040 from last year. All the schools I applied to so far have automatically waived application fees based on my LSAC waiver.

I'm actually unfamiliar with fee waivers for law school applications. Is there a difference between the LSAC fee waiver and law schools waiving the fee?

As I understand it, if you apply for the LSAC fee waiver most, if not all, of the LSAC-member schools will automatically waive their application fees. So, if you qualify for the LSAC fee waiver, you'll save yourself some time by not having to go through the process individually with each school. In my case, since I was a full-time student last year and filing income taxes independently, it was easy to qualify for the LSAC waiver. On the other hand, if you don't qualify for the LSAC waiver, it's definitely worth it to apply for the schools' waivers, since I think they have more wiggle room to grant waivers based on factors other than your income tax filings. hope that helps.

benwyatt

Platinum

Postby benwyatt » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:22 am

re: fee waivers, you can also just email school's admissions offices and ask them about waivers. At the time provide them with your LSAT score and your LSDAS GPA and they'll respond. Some will say no, but it doesn't hurt to ask. I'd wait until mid-august though at the earliest. I believe there have been threads on it in the past in the admissions forum, but here's the email I used last year and got a bunch of waivers with:

Applicant wrote:Dear [School] Committee,

I am very interested in applying to [School], but the cost of law school applications is a concern for me, and I would like to request an application fee waiver if one is available.

For a point of reference, my undergraduate GPA is X.X and I recently received an LSAT score of XXX.

Thank you!

Sincerely,

[name]
[LSAC #]

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:38 am

benwyatt wrote:re: fee waivers, you can also just email school's admissions offices and ask them about waivers. At the time provide them with your LSAT score and your LSDAS GPA and they'll respond. Some will say no, but it doesn't hurt to ask. I'd wait until mid-august though at the earliest. I believe there have been threads on it in the past in the admissions forum, but here's the email I used last year and got a bunch of waivers with:

[+] Spoiler

I am very interested in applying to [School], but the cost of law school applications is a concern for me, and I would like to request an application fee waiver if one is available.

For a point of reference, my undergraduate GPA is X.X and I recently received an LSAT score of XXX.

Thank you!

Sincerely,

[name]
[LSAC #]

Helpful, thanks bw!

Kaziende

Bronze

Postby Kaziende » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:36 am

Checking in!

R. Jeeves

Gold

Postby R. Jeeves » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:58 am

this was an insightful poll. didnt realize kyoto was such a dank destination.

but it is time for a new poll. taking suggestions.

and we could use a U Chicago thread. the app is going to open up soon. from what i hear, adcomms look favorably upon OPs of their respective schools' threads.

also, all posters should feel free to PW itt at any time

TexasENG

Silver

Postby TexasENG » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:23 am

R. Jeeves wrote:this was an insightful poll. didnt realize kyoto was such a dank destination.

and we could use a U Chicago thread. the app is going to open up soon. from what i hear, adcomms look favorably upon OPs of their respective schools' threads.

I'll try to get the UChi thread up tonight after I leave work unless someone gets it done before then.

pretzeltime

Gold

Postby pretzeltime » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:29 am

R. Jeeves wrote:this was an insightful poll. didnt realize kyoto was such a dank destination.

that's a joke right....yeah?

I'm thinking about polls but they all involve pizza hmmm

R. Jeeves

Gold

Postby R. Jeeves » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:32 am

TexasENG wrote:

I'll try to get the UChi thread up tonight after I leave work unless someone gets it done before then.

sweet. Chi is all yours.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:41 am

Pretzel should make a thread for one of HYS since she rocked the LSAT and that is where she will more than likely end up ;)

You too Jeeves! But you already made this thread so ye boi

pretzeltime

Gold

Postby pretzeltime » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:54 am

TheMikey wrote:Pretzel should make a thread for one of HYS since she rocked the LSAT and that is where she will more than likely end up ;)

mehhhhhh tanks but I think I'm too superstitious to do such a thing! there wouldn't be enough wood to knock on!

also, prob 2 lazy to be a responsible OP

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:14 pm

pretzeltime wrote:
TheMikey wrote:Pretzel should make a thread for one of HYS since she rocked the LSAT and that is where she will more than likely end up ;)

mehhhhhh tanks but I think I'm too superstitious to do such a thing! there wouldn't be enough wood to knock on!

Hehe I believe in you pretzel!!! You're gonna have a dope ass cycle

Kopetz

Bronze

Postby Kopetz » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:23 pm

TheMikey wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:

agreed, you got this pretz

pretzeltime

Gold

Postby pretzeltime » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:27 pm

Last edited by pretzeltime on Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:45 pm

I think this poll convinced me Kyoto's going to be pretty high up on my vacation waitlist. May be even "preferred waitlist". 8)

Next poll should be something sports related. Maybe everyone's favorite sport (to play...not spectate): football, basketball, baseball/softball, golf, tennis, rugby, lax, running (5K, 10K, half/full-marathon), triathlon, other.

Also, I'm seriously considering OPing UVA 2020 but I'm worried I'll jinx my chances for a Sept 170+ LSAT. So, if anyone else has a strong desire to take this one, I'll move aside and OP either Northwestern or GULC.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:06 pm

Kopetz wrote:
TheMikey wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:

agreed, you got this pretz

Gunna cosign all of these. If Pretz and Jeeves aren't HYS bound, there's something wrong with the world.

Everyone needs to stay on these two's good sides because they'll be hiring partners at V20s in 15 years while the rest of us are groveling for an of-council position after a stint in a dog-bite law basement somewhere.

pretzeltime

Gold

Postby pretzeltime » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:11 pm

Last edited by pretzeltime on Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

R. Jeeves

Gold

Postby R. Jeeves » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:50 pm

TheMikey wrote:
benwyatt wrote:re: fee waivers, you can also just email school's admissions offices and ask them about waivers. At the time provide them with your LSAT score and your LSDAS GPA and they'll respond. Some will say no, but it doesn't hurt to ask. I'd wait until mid-august though at the earliest. I believe there have been threads on it in the past in the admissions forum, but here's the email I used last year and got a bunch of waivers with:

[+] Spoiler

Thank you!

Sincerely,

[name]
[LSAC #]

Helpful, thanks bw!

wyatt is a homie

R. Jeeves

Gold

Postby R. Jeeves » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:54 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote:Gunna cosign all of these. If Pretz and Jeeves aren't HYS bound, there's something wrong with the world.

Everyone needs to stay on these two's good sides because they'll be hiring partners at V20s in 15 years while the rest of us are groveling for an of-council position after a stint in a dog-bite law basement somewhere.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

pressures on

R. Jeeves

Gold

Postby R. Jeeves » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:13 pm

pretzeltime wrote:

Nope. Everyone better OP their dream school before someone beats them to it.

HaveMercy

New

Postby HaveMercy » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:15 pm

Last edited by HaveMercy on Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

GoGreen17

New

Postby GoGreen17 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:23 pm

Here's a question for you all: Is there ever a time that someone shouldn't retake? Assuming someone has retakes left, is there ever a situation that you wouldn't recommend a retake? Ex) Someone studies for an extended period and gets a steady PT score, then they outperform that average by several points on the real thing. Would you recommend a retake to this person even though they could potentially underperform on the next one and be 6+ points away from their highest score? Just something I've been thinking about since TLS is so retake trigger happy

(Disclaimer: I plan to retake in Sept even though I'm happy with my first score. I scored right at my PT and want to fight for scholarships with a couple extra points)

R. Jeeves

Gold

Postby R. Jeeves » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:53 pm

GoGreen17 wrote:Here's a question for you all: Is there ever a time that someone shouldn't retake? Assuming someone has retakes left, is there ever a situation that you wouldn't recommend a retake? Ex) Someone studies for an extended period and gets a steady PT score, then they outperform that average by several points on the real thing. Would you recommend a retake to this person even though they could potentially underperform on the next one and be 6+ points away from their highest score? Just something I've been thinking about since TLS is so retake trigger happy

(Disclaimer: I plan to retake in Sept even though I'm happy with my first score. I scored right at my PT and want to fight for scholarships with a couple extra points)

i dont think anyone has ever been told to retake anything above a 172

if your target schools' outcomes are likely to get you to your career goals, and you have a score that will get you in with a significant $$, then you prob dont need to retake

TLS tries to get it across that people should retake because even a few points can drastically improve your outcomes. maybe in the situation you bring up there might be more factors that need to be considered. I think a lot of people dont understand the value of a couple points and many look for reasons not to retake, so TLS for the most part only looks at someone's score when prescribing a retake and discounts their feelings about prep. if someone knows that they can't (or are extremely unlikely to) improve then i guess its different. also TLS consensus seems to be that scoring lower on a retake doesnt hurt you because schools only look at your highest score
Last edited by R. Jeeves on Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:59 pm

GoGreen17 wrote:Here's a question for you all: Is there ever a time that someone shouldn't retake? Assuming someone has retakes left, is there ever a situation that you wouldn't recommend a retake? Ex) Someone studies for an extended period and gets a steady PT score, then they outperform that average by several points on the real thing. Would you recommend a retake to this person even though they could potentially underperform on the next one and be 6+ points away from their highest score? Just something I've been thinking about since TLS is so retake trigger happy

Sure, I can think of hypotheticals where I wouldn't recommend a retake. Here's an example:

Guy has two kids in school (and doesn't want to uproot them), a supportive spouse with a solid job in a city with a decent legal market where he has ties (let's say Miami...and this family is Cuban). He wants to remain in Miami because that's where his support network is and has a GPA/LSAT (3.6/171) that will get him into Miami law school (his target school...best regional school for his city) with a near full-ride (mylsn says 130K scholly) and allow him to do PD (his dream job). This is a situation where retaking for a 175 isn't going to improve his outcome at all.

That said, you'll notice how rare this situation is. I had to imagine a non-trad with a locked down family situation and fairly unique career goals (for TLS anyway...staying in one place and not wanting biglaw/fed clerk/impact lit/etc) and a top 5% LSAT before is seems to make sense to "let well enough alone".

90-95% of the demo on this site are 22-25 year old, single, gunners who want to have a shot at the big time or at least end up with meaningful employment without crippling debt. Given those circumstances, it's typically smart to suggest people apply broadly with the best numbers possible. Your standard K-JD with a 6 month super-serious SO in Pensatucky or Nebrahoma, 30K in undergrad debt, a 167 LSAT and a goal of Cwavath/COA clerk/ACLU is almost guaranteed to be better off retaking for 170 (and then again for 175) and either snagging a full ride at a T1 regional or going to a T14 on the cheap. Even the dude who just wants to go to Ohio St and be an ADA in Dayton would do well to invest a few extra months of practice, pulling that 167 up to a 170 and getting 30K in extra scholarships. That's real money man.

pretzeltime

Gold

Postby pretzeltime » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:22 pm

R. Jeeves wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:

Nope. Everyone better OP their dream school before someone beats them to it.

i'm 2 gullible sometimes :oops:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?