TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

R. Jeeves

Gold

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (important poll)

Postby R. Jeeves » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:03 pm

youknowsimone wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
youknowsimone wrote:A cheesecake is not baked.

since when? I occasionally make chocolate cheesecake. it definitely gets thrown in the oven for like an hour. Are you doing something tricky with "bake" here?

youknowsimone wrote:Cakes need not have crusts.

can you give me like 3 examples of cakes with crusts?

I suppose it does depend on the cheesecake recipe. I've made non-bake cheesecakes before. I could be the anomaly. I can't give you too many examples of cakes with crusts because that was sort of the point of my argument. Pies almost always have crusts whereas cakes don't necessarily have them. That was the difference I was trying to distinguish. I suppose a cheesecake could have a graham cracker crust, or a cookie crust. But it's not essential to it being a cake. However, crusts are essential to the pie.

i think what guy might be getting at is that anything with crust is disqualified from being cake

youknowsimone

New

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (classify cheesecake)

Postby youknowsimone » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:05 pm

*girl.

I guess if I had to put it in LSAT terms it would be Pie-->Crust and therefore No Crust-->Not Pie

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:05 pm

youknowsimone wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

I can't give you too many examples of cakes with crusts because that was sort of the point of my argument. Pies almost always have crusts whereas cakes don't necessarily have them. That was the difference I was trying to distinguish. I suppose a cheesecake could have a graham cracker crust, or a cookie crust. But it's not essential to it being a cake. However, crusts are essential to the pie.

I believe cheesecakes have crust, though. If you don't want a crust, you specifically have to pull up a "no crust cheesecake" recipe. Can you even give me 1 crusted cake example? I think touching on crust is great here, but it is the winning argument for cheesecake being a pie - its crusted, therefore it is a pie.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:06 pm

youknowsimone wrote:*girl.

I'm "guy". its my username.

R. Jeeves

Gold

Postby R. Jeeves » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:06 pm

no i meant the poster named guybourdin

azaleafire

Bronze

Postby azaleafire » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:08 pm

guybourdin wrote:
youknowsimone wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

I can't give you too many examples of cakes with crusts because that was sort of the point of my argument. Pies almost always have crusts whereas cakes don't necessarily have them. That was the difference I was trying to distinguish. I suppose a cheesecake could have a graham cracker crust, or a cookie crust. But it's not essential to it being a cake. However, crusts are essential to the pie.

I believe cheesecakes have crust, though. If you don't want a crust, you specifically have to pull up a "no crust cheesecake" recipe. Can you even give me 1 crusted cake example? I think touching on crust is great here, but it is the winning argument for cheesecake being a pie - its crusted, therefore it is a pie.

Coffee cake kind of has a crust/crumble thing going on. Also the fact that cheesecakes can be made without crust lends credence to the cake idea.

tncats

Bronze

Postby tncats » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:08 pm

I've never eaten a cheesecake without a crust. I suppose that exists, but standard cheesecake has a graham cracker crust, a filling, and is baked, just like all pies. The consistency of the filling is also more similar to pies than cakes. Having cake in the name is just a misnomer

Pozzo

Gold

Postby Pozzo » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:10 pm

azaleafire wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
youknowsimone wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

Coffee cake kind of has a crust/crumble thing going on. Also the fact that cheesecakes can be made without crust lends credence to the cake idea.

Careful. By that logic, a cobbler could be considered a cake. And we definitely don't want to go there.

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:10 pm

I was in the "Cheesecake is cake because of the name" camp...but relevant research does seem to indicate pie as the correct classification.

I've been swayed.

youknowsimone

New

Postby youknowsimone » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:12 pm

R. Jeeves wrote:

no i meant the poster named guybourdin

Oops, sorry! Sometimes I get confused on these threads.

As far as a cake with a crust goes, one may argue that sponge/pound/lemon cakes have crusts. Or any cake that is baked like a loaf.

youknowsimone

New

Postby youknowsimone » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:15 pm

That also leads to the question of what, exactly, makes a crust? Is it the texture, ingredients? Would a hardened chocolate shell be considered a crust? Perhaps what distinguishes the cake from the pie is the type of crust?

courtneyleigh_1

New

Postby courtneyleigh_1 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:16 pm

youknowsimone wrote:As far as a cake with a crust goes, one may argue that sponge/pound/lemon cakes have crusts. Or any cake that is baked like a loaf.

One may, but it doesn't mean one should.

NotAGolfer

Silver

Postby NotAGolfer » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:18 pm

youknowsimone wrote:That also leads to the question of what, exactly, makes a crust? Is it the texture, ingredients? Would a hardened chocolate shell be considered a crust? Perhaps what distinguishes the cake from the pie is the type of crust?

Yes, the "crust" in a cheesecake is very different from what's considered a crust in other pies. Cheesecake could be viewed as a type of layer cake, with the graham cracker crust being one of the layers.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:18 pm

youknowsimone wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

since when? I occasionally make chocolate cheesecake. it definitely gets thrown in the oven for like an hour. Are you doing something tricky with "bake" here?

I suppose it does depend on the cheesecake recipe. I've made non-bake cheesecakes before. I could be the anomaly. I can't give you too many examples of cakes with crusts because that was sort of the point of my argument. Pies almost always have crusts whereas cakes don't necessarily have them. That was the difference I was trying to distinguish. I suppose a cheesecake could have a graham cracker crust, or a cookie crust. But it's not essential to it being a cake. However, crusts are essential to the pie.

This is true. There are cheesecake recipes that don't require any baking.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:19 pm

NotAGolfer wrote:
youknowsimone wrote:That also leads to the question of what, exactly, makes a crust? Is it the texture, ingredients? Would a hardened chocolate shell be considered a crust? Perhaps what distinguishes the cake from the pie is the type of crust?

Yes, the "crust" in a cheesecake is very different from what's considered a crust in other pies. Cheesecake could be viewed as a type of layer cake, with the graham cracker crust being one of the layers.

Very true. You can take the "crust" off of some cheesecakes.

asuddenarborealstop

New

Postby asuddenarborealstop » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:20 pm

I think we can ignore the crust. A cheesecake has neither flour nor leavening. Surely having at least one of those is necessary (though not sufficient) for a cake.

Pozzo

Gold

Postby Pozzo » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:20 pm

Miami law, you are the cookies of law schools right now. Get out.

GET. OUT.

NotAGolfer

Silver

Postby NotAGolfer » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:21 pm

asuddenarborealstop wrote:I think we can ignore the crust. A cheesecake has neither flour nor leavening. Surely having at least one of those is necessary (though not sufficient) for a cake.

But...ice cream cake

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:21 pm

NotAGolfer wrote:Yes, the "crust" in a cheesecake is very different from what's considered a crust in other pies.

how? crushed graham crackers + a little butter + pressure. Its the same as a key lime pie crust, isn't it?

Bronze

Postby 88234 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:22 pm

brinicolec wrote:
youknowsimone wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

This is true. There are cheesecake recipes that don't require any baking.

Considerations should also be made for what composes a cake. Traditionally, they all have sugar, flour, eggs, and butter. That's a necessary condition for a cake. I propose this as a necessary test to determine cake-ness.

tncats

Bronze

Postby tncats » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:22 pm

guybourdin wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:Yes, the "crust" in a cheesecake is very different from what's considered a crust in other pies.

how? crushed graham crackers + a little butter + pressure. Its the same as a key lime pie crust, isn't it?

+1

Pozzo

Gold

Postby Pozzo » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:23 pm

asuddenarborealstop wrote:I think we can ignore the crust. A cheesecake has neither flour nor leavening. Surely having at least one of those is necessary (though not sufficient) for a cake.

Flourless chocolate cake contains neither flour nor leavening agent.

amberb94

Bronze

Postby amberb94 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:23 pm

Guys, the word "cake" is in the name. It's self-categorized. Get outta here with your crust and no-bake cheesecake talk.

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:23 pm

Finecooking.com has this to say on the matter
"With a minor change in appearance, any pastry that is a crumb crust filled with custard and baked, in my mind, is a pie. The addition of cream cheese is no more a disqualifier than the addition of bourbon would be. So, in short, a cheesecake is a pie. It can also be a cake, but it can't not be a pie."

This is the first thing that comes up on a google search so it must be the most truthiest.

Bronze

Postby 88234 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:23 pm

Pozzo wrote:

Flourless chocolate cake contains neither flour nor leavening agent.

Then it's a tort.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?