TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

RParadela

Silver

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (new poll)

Postby RParadela » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:31 pm

Alexandros wrote:
RParadela wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
RParadela wrote:How old are most of you guys in here? I see a lot of talk about wives/husbands in the waiter threads which kind of freaks me out as a 21 year old kid who doesn't even want to be in a committed relationship much less marriage.

I'm 22, about to be 23. Not married, but am in a committed relationship, she will come with me to Law School.

I was freaked out when I applied two years ago, but then I started working in an office which has way more married people in it. Now the concept of raging with married friends isn't weird at all.

Now parents, that shit is weird (jk, kinda)

Oh god, the thought of having kids gives me more anxiety than checking for decisions. I can barely feed myself, much less another human being

+180

I think that's gonna factor into decisions a bit too. I think Northwestern, with its median entering age of 26, would be great for some people, but weird for me.

Yeah I didn't apply to NW but applied pretty much everywhere else in the T14. I have minimal work experience and I'll be significantly younger than everyone so it doesn't really make sense for me

Torres1893

Bronze

Postby Torres1893 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:32 pm

RParadela wrote:I'll say that having your SO move with you to law school would kind of take the stress away from dealing with a big move. I'll be leaving behind all of my friends and family when I go to law school (most likely) so I'm going to have to make a completely new friend group, something I haven't done since freshman year of high school

I had to that back in 2011 when I left Michigan and came to Texas. It took 4 years to find that new group of friends and I'm going to have to leave them in the summer. It sucks. I'm going to join students groups immediately at whatever school I go to because I do not want to go through law school alone. It'll probably help that I'll be living on campus or at least next to it unlike in undergrad. I was a commuter so I couldn't really build lasting friendships when I only saw my classmates twice a week.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:35 pm

[.
Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronze

Postby 88234 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:38 pm

Alexandros wrote:
RParadela wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
RParadela wrote:
RParadela wrote:How old are most of you guys in here? I see a lot of talk about wives/husbands in the waiter threads which kind of freaks me out as a 21 year old kid who doesn't even want to be in a committed relationship much less marriage.

I'm 22, about to be 23. Not married, but am in a committed relationship, she will come with me to Law School.

I was freaked out when I applied two years ago, but then I started working in an office which has way more married people in it. Now the concept of raging with married friends isn't weird at all.

Now parents, that shit is weird (jk, kinda)

Oh god, the thought of having kids gives me more anxiety than checking for decisions. I can barely feed myself, much less another human being

+180

I think that's gonna factor into decisions a bit too. I think Northwestern, with its median entering age of 26, would be great for some people, but weird for me.

Yeah I didn't apply to NW but applied pretty much everywhere else in the T14. I have minimal work experience and I'll be significantly younger than everyone so it doesn't really make sense for me

Yeah, it's the one t14 I'm considering not applying too, mostly for that reason.

And this is exactly the reason it's my favorite.

RParadela

Silver

Postby RParadela » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:39 pm

Torres1893 wrote:
RParadela wrote:I'll say that having your SO move with you to law school would kind of take the stress away from dealing with a big move. I'll be leaving behind all of my friends and family when I go to law school (most likely) so I'm going to have to make a completely new friend group, something I haven't done since freshman year of high school

I had to that back in 2011 when I left Michigan and came to Texas. It took 4 years to find that new group of friends and I'm going to have to leave them in the summer. It sucks. I'm going to join students groups immediately at whatever school I go to because I do not want to go through law school alone. It'll probably help that I'll be living on campus or at least next to it unlike in undergrad. I was a commuter so I couldn't really build lasting friendships when I only saw my classmates twice a week.

Yeah that would suck. I'm going to try to live on campus or at least really close so I can be around law students more often

Instrumental

Silver

Postby Instrumental » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:40 pm

88234 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Yeah, it's the one t14 I'm considering not applying too, mostly for that reason.

It's your favorite cause Alex probably isn't applying? Super mean man. Alex is great and doesn't afraid of anything.

Bronze

Postby 88234 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:41 pm

Instrumental wrote:
88234 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Yeah, it's the one t14 I'm considering not applying too, mostly for that reason.

It's your favorite cause Alex probably isn't applying? Super mean man. Alex is great and doesn't afraid of anything.

He's just so beautiful. It's intimidating.

Harry Ass Truman

New

Postby Harry Ass Truman » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:48 pm

Ok friends, have to ask it:

Got into one of my dream schools, so I am already happy for the cycle. However, for the rest of the schools I applied to (all T12), my status checkers haven't changed in months. In the case of schools like UVA or Duke, they haven't changed since September... I applied to all schools near the end of Sept/early Oct.

For anyone with any insight, what is this supposed mean?

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:49 pm

I found I was wayyyyy more worried about age, social networks and the like when I was younger. Now that I'm an olds it's more like "well it's law school". I'll probably still find people to drink with anywhere.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:02 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:I found I was wayyyyy more worried about age, social networks and the like when I was younger. Now that I'm an olds it's more like "well it's law school". I'll probably still find people to drink with anywhere.

+1 But I'm not even old. I just feel like being out of school makes you realize that with enough time and the right amount of alcohol the location and cliques don't really matter, anyone can be friends

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:02 pm

88234 wrote:
Instrumental wrote:
88234 wrote:

He's just so beautiful. It's intimidating.

O.

Smc1994

Silver

Postby Smc1994 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:03 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:I found I was wayyyyy more worried about age, social networks and the like when I was younger. Now that I'm an olds it's more like "well it's law school". I'll probably still find people to drink with anywhere.

+1 But I'm not even old. I just feel like being out of school makes you realize that with enough time and the right amount of alcohol the location and cliques don't really matter, anyone can be friends

Major key

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:04 pm

social lubrication

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:09 pm

But like the right amount of alcohol is like >=0. Just don't be an asshole and do some activities and you can make friends. Like you'll have at least 100 people you're forced to interact with, that's probably a good start.

RictusErectus

Bronze

Postby RictusErectus » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:18 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:I hope someone wrote a Diversity Statement this year about how they're a non-Caucasian Trump voter.

To Berkeley.

6: *application received*
6:01: *application complete*
6:02: *rejection email*
6:03: personal message from ad-comms saying "fuck you."

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:18 pm

Idk. I don't quite agree about the location/cliques thing. As someone who moved around all my life and has lived in some crappy places (current location included), I've found that where I live can really impact my feelings of life satisfaction. Also, as a minority, I've found that living in areas with an extremely low % of minorities really bothers me (especially after this election). If you go to a small enough, white enough town, cliques really, really matter. Cliques that grew up together are almost impenetrable by an outsider, especially a minority. I mean, I was a cheerleader and everything and I still couldn't crack into my OWN presumed clique :roll: But, also, growing up that way I'm in a "I'm not settling on location ever again; I've been miserable enough" mode so location is a big deal to me.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:19 pm

RictusErectus wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:I hope someone wrote a Diversity Statement this year about how they're a non-Caucasian Trump voter.

To Berkeley.

6: *application received*
6:01: *application complete*
6:02: *rejection email*
6:03: personal message from ad-comms saying "fuck you."

If I ever met a non-Caucasian Trump voter who told me they used that as their diversity statement, I think I'd just have to walk away lol.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:20 pm

Harry Ass Truman wrote:Ok friends, have to ask it:

Got into one of my dream schools, so I am already happy for the cycle. However, for the rest of the schools I applied to (all T12), my status checkers haven't changed in months. In the case of schools like UVA or Duke, they haven't changed since September... I applied to all schools near the end of Sept/early Oct.

It seems like this cycle is just kind of weird so it's hard to know.

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Postby Gitaroo_Dude » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:21 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:Like you'll have at least 100 people you're forced to interact with, that's probably a good start.

But those 100 people will all be competitors acting as road blocks on my way to success. :?

Harry Ass Truman

New

Postby Harry Ass Truman » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:21 pm

brinicolec wrote:

So should I expect to wait till like April--which by then I'll already commit to a school--or will the ding train come earlier?

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:23 pm

Harry Ass Truman wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

So should I expect to wait till like April--which by then I'll already commit to a school--or will the ding train come earlier?

Eh, I think it depends. Based on past cycles, it seems like dings/WL usually happen in Feb. or so. But if you already got into your dream school, I wouldn't worry about it too much, based on that alone, you're in a better spot than me and I've been accepted to a handful of places lol

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:24 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:Like you'll have at least 100 people you're forced to interact with, that's probably a good start.

But those 100 people will all be competitors acting as road blocks on my way to success. :?

Meh, not necessarily. I don't intend to go to LS and look at my section as competition. I just intend to do my best and hope that there's no gunner that try to ruin my/anyone's life :lol:

The_Pluviophile

Bronze

Postby The_Pluviophile » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:25 pm

Since the conversation has taken the turn of SOs, I'll vent about my situation here because I've got no one else to talk to about it. My boyfriend and I have been dating for 5+ years and will be living together once I get back stateside (for the like three months until I leave for whatever school I decide to go to). We go to the same UG, but he's going to graduate a year later than I will, so he couldn't follow me even if he wanted to (which I'm not sure I do want him to). I didn't apply to any schools in state, so I know it'll be quite a distance. We've done long distance before (we didn't start out going to the same UG, and I've been abroad for 5 months now) with no problems, but still, I feel like law school is such a uniquely stressful situation. I'm the kind of person who pre-stresses about these sorts of things.

Relatedly, I've told him multiple times that if he asks me to marry him when I graduate/before I go off to law school I will say no on principle. Is this carzy?? I just can't see the logic in being engaged and then living half way across the country from each other. Plus his family is very conservative (Indian), so an engagement would basically be the same as marriage (as in a breakup would be equivalent to a divorce at that point).

To end on a funnier note, I'm 21, and my birthday was 3 days before I left for a country where the drinking age is 18 :roll: . Still get ID'd here all the time too :lol:

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:28 pm

The_Pluviophile wrote:Since the conversation has taken the turn of SOs, I'll vent about my situation here because I've got no one else to talk to about it. My boyfriend and I have been dating for 5+ years and will be living together once I get back stateside (for the like three months until I leave for whatever school I decide to go to). We go to the same UG, but he's going to graduate a year later than I will, so he couldn't follow me even if he wanted to (which I'm not sure I do want him to). I didn't apply to any schools in state, so I know it'll be quite a distance. We've done long distance before (we didn't start out going to the same UG, and I've been abroad for 5 months now) with no problems, but still, I feel like law school is such a uniquely stressful situation. I'm the kind of person who pre-stresses about these sorts of things.

Relatedly, I've told him multiple times that if he asks me to marry him when I graduate/before I go off to law school I will say no on principle. Is this carzy?? I just can't see the logic in being engaged and then living half way across the country from each other. Plus his family is very conservative (Indian), so an engagement would basically be the same as marriage (as in a breakup would be equivalent to a divorce at that point).

To end on a funnier note, I'm 21, and my birthday was 3 days before I left for a country where the drinking age is 18 :roll: . Still get ID'd here all the time too :lol:

Idk, I always wonder if telling a man you'd reject his proposal is a huge no-no, but it's also something I don't have to worry about lol.

I mean, all you can do is try it out and if it does't work, it doesn't work. I agree LS is uniquely stressful, which is why I'm glad I'm single, but I'm sure it's nice to have someone you know you can rely on as a listening ear throughout the process as well.

waldorf

Gold

Postby waldorf » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:30 pm

Last edited by waldorf on Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?