TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (new poll)

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:16 pm

brinicolec wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
RParadela wrote:How old are most of you guys in here? I see a lot of talk about wives/husbands in the waiter threads which kind of freaks me out as a 21 year old kid who doesn't even want to be in a committed relationship much less marriage.

I'm 22, about to be 23. Not married, but am in a committed long-term relationship, she will come with me to Law School.

I was freaked out when I applied two years ago, but then I started working in an office which has way more married people in it. Now the concept of raging with married friends isn't weird at all.

Now parents, that shit is weird (jk, kinda)

More power to you, couldn't be me. Lol.

I think the thing that most helped was the sheer number of 25-28 yearolds who are married that you hangout with (and I live in the District which means I would undoubtedly know more somewhere else in the US). The concept of hanging out with someone in that age group isn't strange to me at all, so as long as their spouse is chill it's like no different to me. When I was in college I didn't know anyone that was married that wasn't either:

A) married at 18 which usually meant the two were attached at the hip or

B) no younger than 40

Those were not demos conducive to being friends with a college student.

I wasn't even talking about the marriage. My best friend is married, already has one kid, and has another on the way lol. I was talking about heading to law school in a relationship. But I also associate relationships with higher stress so... there's that

Yeah, I saw your second comment after responding and couldn't delete this one :/

RParadela

Silver

Postby RParadela » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:19 pm

ski17 wrote:
BruiseWillis wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
sorence wrote:
RParadela wrote:How old are most of you guys in here? I see a lot of talk about wives/husbands in the waiter threads which kind of freaks me out as a 21 year old kid who doesn't even want to be in a committed relationship much less marriage.

You're not alone! 22 y/o here.

Also 22. Will be 23 before fall lol

+1

22 as well. I can't imagine being in a serious relationship and having the other person to worry about when deciding where I go.

Yeah I've completely put a stop to anything going past very casually dating this year because I'm sure as hell not trying to take someone up to law school with me

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:20 pm

brinicolec wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

I'm 22, about to be 23. Not married, but am in a committed long-term relationship, she will come with me to Law School.

I was freaked out when I applied two years ago, but then I started working in an office which has way more married people in it. Now the concept of raging with married friends isn't weird at all.

More power to you, couldn't be me. Lol.

I think the thing that most helped was the sheer number of 25-28 yearolds who are married that you hangout with (and I live in the District which means I would undoubtedly know more somewhere else in the US). The concept of hanging out with someone in that age group isn't strange to me at all, so as long as their spouse is chill it's like no different to me. When I was in college I didn't know anyone that was married that wasn't either:

A) married at 18 which usually meant the two were attached at the hip or

B) no younger than 40

Those were not demos conducive to being friends with a college student.

I wasn't even talking about the marriage. My best friend is married, already has one kid, and has another on the way lol. I was talking about heading to law school in a relationship. But I also associate relationships with higher stress so... there's that

Yeah, I saw your second comment after responding and couldn't delete this one :/

Lol it's okay.

sorence

Bronze

Postby sorence » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:21 pm

ski17 wrote:
BruiseWillis wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
sorence wrote:

+1

22 as well. I can't imagine being in a serious relationship and having the other person to worry about when deciding where I go.

While I'm here planning for law school, my SO is hearing back from medical school. The coordination is probably one of the more stressful things I've experienced, but tbh it's never as bad as when other people comment along the lines of, "you POOR thing"/"how will you manage"/"lol good luck w/that." It's the assumption on other people's part that we're walking into things thinking that it'll be all fine and easy that frustrates me the most. Meh.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:22 pm

RParadela wrote:
ski17 wrote:
BruiseWillis wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
sorence wrote:

+1

Yeah I've completely put a stop to anything going past very casually dating this year because I'm sure as hell not trying to take someone up to law school with me

I've been using going to law school as a nice excuse to try to turn men down at my job (I bartend). Some are really persistent though :roll: But I'm with you guys. There's literally no point in getting into anything too deep at this time. Plus, I have specific career goals and I'm not changing them for anybody sooooooo they'd just have to get over wherever I want to go lol.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:22 pm

RParadela wrote:
ski17 wrote:
BruiseWillis wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
sorence wrote:

+1

If I was K-Jd I would never take someone I wasn't dating full-time throughout the entirety of my UG

Cbear2017

New

Postby Cbear2017 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:22 pm

sorence wrote:

21 year old here as well.

m052310

New

Postby m052310 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:23 pm

33 here. I already feel like Billy Madison.

Kopetz

Bronze

Postby Kopetz » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:23 pm

Instrumental wrote:

Guess I'll out myself as the old man here. I'm 30 and still have no interest in a ltr.

29, and same here. im a confirmed bearchelor.

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:24 pm

tbh, I think that being married/in a serious relationship, for me, takes a lot of the stress out law school. first of all, my spouse is not going to school, too, so he can have a job that will pay for living expenses. he's someone I can go to for support and advice when things are rough. and because I live with him instead of friends, I don't feel pressured to party all the time or feel guilty if I'm at home, studying (for the LSAT now, for law school later) instead of out doing something fun. when I still lived with roommates (not my husband), I had serious FOMO if I wasn't doing something fun & they all were. living with my husband, I never feel like that. it helps that he is a hermit and doesn't mind staying home and watching Netflix while I'm studying either :lol:

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:24 pm

I think the most important thing is everyone can legally drink.

I have a feeling that we'll need a few drinks (and by a few, I mean many) during our 1L experience.

A Poor Pianist

New

Postby A Poor Pianist » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:25 pm

brinicolec wrote:This is a kind of left-field thought but I wonder if the number of people in serious relationships during law school varies depending on race/gender. Like, as a black woman, I can't really imagine being in a serious relationship during law school because I still think the gender expectations within my race would put a strain on any relationship I ended up in as it seems that having a woman who is very career-oriented can be seen as problematic by some black men - especially if your career goals are "above" his.

This post explains a lot. From your writing perspective on some of your other posts I thought you were a male for the past two months but just in touch with his... "feminine" side :lol: :lol:

SmallK

Bronze

Postby SmallK » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:26 pm

sorence wrote:
ski17 wrote:
BruiseWillis wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
sorence wrote:

+1

While I'm here planning for law school, my SO is hearing back from medical school. The coordination is probably one of the more stressful things I've experienced, but tbh it's never as bad as when other people comment along the lines of, "you POOR thing"/"how will you manage"/"lol good luck w/that." It's the assumption on other people's part that we're walking into things thinking that it'll be all fine and easy that frustrates me the most. Meh.

My S.O. will be starting his med. residency one year after I start law school and I totally second all of this. It sucks figuring out logistics, but we've discussed in detail (and know all our contingency plans), we know it's gonna be hard, and we're just both eager to figure it all out and get started.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:28 pm

A Poor Pianist wrote:
brinicolec wrote:This is a kind of left-field thought but I wonder if the number of people in serious relationships during law school varies depending on race/gender. Like, as a black woman, I can't really imagine being in a serious relationship during law school because I still think the gender expectations within my race would put a strain on any relationship I ended up in as it seems that having a woman who is very career-oriented can be seen as problematic by some black men - especially if your career goals are "above" his.

This post explains a lot. From your writing perspective on some of your other posts I thought you were a male for the past two months but just in touch with his... "feminine" side :lol: :lol:

:lol: Nope. I'm a full-blown woman. But I had a feeling that for some reason y'all thought I was a man because people say things like "Sorry to hear that man." And I've just been letting it ride :lol:

Sarastro

Bronze

Postby Sarastro » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:29 pm

I started to say "Haha, me too," but then realized I'm 25 and apparently older than most people here.

brinicolec wrote::lol: Nope. I'm a full-blown woman. But I had a feeling that for some reason y'all thought I was a man because people say things like "Sorry to hear that man." And I've just been letting it ride :lol:

Sneaky

haley12

Silver

Postby haley12 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:30 pm

brinicolec wrote:I think the most important thing is everyone can legally drink.

I have a feeling that we'll need a few drinks (and by a few, I mean many) during our 1L experience.

HAHA I'm 20

lawlzschool

Bronze

Postby lawlzschool » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:31 pm

haley12 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:I think the most important thing is everyone can legally drink.

HAHA I'm 20

wut GET OLDER

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:34 pm

haley12 wrote:

HAHA I'm 20

But will you be 20 when you start LS?

Vino.Veritas

Bronze

Postby Vino.Veritas » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:38 pm

lawlzschool wrote:
haley12 wrote:

HAHA I'm 20

wut GET OLDER

I'm 20 too!

R. Jeeves

Gold

Postby R. Jeeves » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:38 pm

NEW POLL UP

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Postby Gitaroo_Dude » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:40 pm

TBH bar review is probably what I'm looking forward to most during LS. :lol:

R. Jeeves

Gold

Postby R. Jeeves » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:40 pm

also like 30 people voted yes in the "should ppl PW" poll. and nowhere close to 30 ppl PW'd during its run. shame on your NIMBYism, TLS.
Last edited by R. Jeeves on Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katthegreat11

Bronze

Postby katthegreat11 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:41 pm

I'm 23, about to be 24 and my SO is also moving with me when I start school. Are you planning on looking for on-campus or off-campus housing in general?

Torres1893

Bronze

Postby Torres1893 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:43 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:

TBH bar review is probably what I'm looking forward to most during LS. :lol:

+1

I'm going to turn 24 during the weekend of orientation, so I'm ready to drink and celebrate

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:51 pm

katthegreat11 wrote:

I'm 23, about to be 24 and my SO is also moving with me when I start school. Are you planning on looking for on-campus or off-campus housing in general?

Mostly off campus, but I've only really been looking in a few cities (this slow cycle bs gives me hope but is also infuriating).

I've only really been looking at Durham and could rent a reasonably sized house close to campus for a quarter of my rent now so that is what I'm looking to do if I end up at Duke

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?