TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

govlife

Bronze

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants - psychopaths & conceded ponies welcome

Postby govlife » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:41 pm

Rubbishdump wrote:
Keilz wrote:
Rubbishdump wrote:Wonder why it's just Cornell that is being so aggressive with rejecting people thus far. Got into Georgetown but haven't heard anything from Cornell yet. Assumed one meant the other.

Penn was pretty aggressive on the one decision day they've had this year. They rejected quite a few people on LSN, and it was much earlier than normal.

Also, Cornell is much, much smaller than Georgetown, so they probably need to have a different strategy. Georgetown gets by far the most applicants out of the T14, by almost double (around 10k)

Wonder why Georgetown is so popular. It was really a negotiating tool for me, I was considering vandy and UCLA over it. Gtown's employment #s aren't that hot. Regardless, aren't numbers down? I assumed that would make schools more lenient.

For me, Georgetown's intrigue has to do with my career goals being in government rather than BigLaw. But, I think for a lot of people, they know the name and see that it's at the bottom of the T14, so it's something everyone tries for, whether you're blanketing T14, or looking at T20-30. Its place in the "middle" gets it a lot of apps I bet.

NotAGolfer

Silver

Postby NotAGolfer » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:47 am

jjcorvino wrote:
Kopetz wrote:Cornell's LSN graph tells a pretty bloody story right now

Absolutely brutal. They rejected a 180 today. That doesn't make me feel as bad (probably not something with my app).

That was me, and I think you're fine. I've already been accepted to Penn, Berkeley, Michigan, Duke, and GULC. I'm sure you'll be in a similar position with lots of options shortly.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:28 am

NotAGolfer wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:

Absolutely brutal. They rejected a 180 today. That doesn't make me feel as bad (probably not something with my app).

That was me, and I think you're fine. I've already been accepted to Penn, Berkeley, Michigan, Duke, and GULC. I'm sure you'll be in a similar position with lots of options shortly.

Yeah. I'm not sure what Cornell is up to this year lol. Seems like the general consensus from people denied is "Meh, oh well." Maybe they could sense our lukewarmness :lol:

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:30 am

govlife wrote:
Rubbishdump wrote:
Keilz wrote:
Rubbishdump wrote:Wonder why it's just Cornell that is being so aggressive with rejecting people thus far. Got into Georgetown but haven't heard anything from Cornell yet. Assumed one meant the other.

Penn was pretty aggressive on the one decision day they've had this year. They rejected quite a few people on LSN, and it was much earlier than normal.

Also, Cornell is much, much smaller than Georgetown, so they probably need to have a different strategy. Georgetown gets by far the most applicants out of the T14, by almost double (around 10k)

Wonder why Georgetown is so popular. It was really a negotiating tool for me, I was considering vandy and UCLA over it. Gtown's employment #s aren't that hot. Regardless, aren't numbers down? I assumed that would make schools more lenient.

For me, Georgetown's intrigue has to do with my career goals being in government rather than BigLaw. But, I think for a lot of people, they know the name and see that it's at the bottom of the T14, so it's something everyone tries for, whether you're blanketing T14, or looking at T20-30. Its place in the "middle" gets it a lot of apps I bet.

Also, name recognition probably plays a huge part. I got into Michigan and my dad was looking at the Welcome packet and was like "They're a top 20 school? And I was like yeah, they're the highest ranked school I've been accepted to so far. They're ranked number 8." And he was like "Higher than Georgetown?" to which I responded, "HELLZ YEAH" (no I didn't but still lol)

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:13 am

Last edited by chargers21 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:23 am

NotAGolfer wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:

I am always in awe of the 180s. Which test did you get it on? Idk, if I was an adcomm I would pretty much auto admit someone that is able to get a perfect score.

Dodocogon

Silver

Postby Dodocogon » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:49 am

StopLawying wrote:Do you guys think that maybe this is one of the cycles where you might be at an advantage for applying later?
I remember MS9 saying in one of his podcasts that this sometimes is the case, wondering if that applies here.

Don't think it'll hurt much to apply 'late' this year, but I don't see an advantage to it yet. Maybe if score bands drop even further once Dec. data is released and you have a good score to apply with though - could make it look better.

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:02 am

Dodocogon wrote:
StopLawying wrote:Do you guys think that maybe this is one of the cycles where you might be at an advantage for applying later?
I remember MS9 saying in one of his podcasts that this sometimes is the case, wondering if that applies here.

Don't think it'll hurt much to apply 'late' this year, but I don't see an advantage to it yet. Maybe if score bands drop even further once Dec. data is released and you have a good score to apply with though - could make it look better.

I think I remember MS9 saying this wasn't one of those years where it helps. I'm too lazy to find the proof to back up my statement though.

I agree that It might not hurt AS MUCH to apply late this year...but by late I mean Januaryish. I think a lot of schools are waiting for Dec scores so I don't think it will be a big disadvantage to apply around now. This is based on zero facts and 100% opinion.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:06 am

ashrice13 wrote:
Dodocogon wrote:

I think I remember MS9 saying this wasn't one of those years where it helps. I'm too lazy to find the proof to back up my statement though.

I agree that It might not hurt AS MUCH to apply late this year...but by late I mean Januaryish. I think a lot of schools are waiting for Dec scores so I don't think it will be a big disadvantage to apply around now. This is based on zero facts and 100% opinion.

I also think I remember him saying this.

NotAGolfer

Silver

Postby NotAGolfer » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:07 am

jjcorvino wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:

I am always in awe of the 180s. Which test did you get it on? Idk, if I was an adcomm I would pretty much auto admit someone that is able to get a perfect score.

June 2015. My GPA is close to yours, so I'm guessing we'll have similar cycles. I'd be surprised if adcomms see 177s and 180s that differently :)

CPA-->JD

Bronze

Postby CPA-->JD » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:16 am

Dodocogon wrote:

Is there any credence to my totally unsubstantiated theory that if you have great numbers but a spotty rest of the application than you might benefit by applying late since they have less time to review your app?

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:25 am

brinicolec wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:

Yeah. I'm not sure what Cornell is up to this year lol. Seems like the general consensus from people denied is "Meh, oh well." Maybe they could sense our lukewarmness :lol:

I was chatting with MS9 a few months ago and he mentioned the Dean of Admissions at Cornell is newish (only a couple years in the job) so that office's priorities are unknown at this point.

I think we are starting to see that play out.

Kopetz

Bronze

Postby Kopetz » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:28 am

CPA-->JD wrote:
Dodocogon wrote:

Is there any credence to my totally unsubstantiated theory that if you have great numbers but a spotty rest of the application than you might benefit by applying late since they have less time to review your app?

if you have great numbers but a spotty application you should apply slightly later and use that time to improve your application

Dodocogon

Silver

Postby Dodocogon » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:28 am

CPA-->JD wrote:
Dodocogon wrote:

They still read the whole thing - so unless they would need you to literally raise their median a point, I wouldn't think so? Not an expert opinion tho.

The_Pluviophile

Bronze

Postby The_Pluviophile » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:01 pm

guybourdin wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
Dodocogon wrote:

I also think I remember him saying this.

Yep, he said it here: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=197451&start=5325

amta

Platinum

Postby amta » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:30 pm

cornell is hunting ranks

Sarastro

Bronze

Postby Sarastro » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:55 pm

amta wrote:cornell is hunting ranks

+1

amta

Platinum

Postby amta » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:58 pm

Sarastro wrote:

+1

my advice to them would be to retake where they put that school.

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:26 pm

amta wrote:
Sarastro wrote:

+1

+1. At least Berkeley has the SF Bay Area. What does Cornell have? Bridges with nets.

S.Picquery

Silver

Postby S.Picquery » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:33 pm

Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
amta wrote:
Sarastro wrote:

+1

+1. At least Berkeley has the SF Bay Area. What does Cornell have? Bridges with nets.

+2 The nets are 1000% more morbid than not having them. They are a VERY poignant reminder.

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:43 pm

Got a law school solicitation that DID NOT COME WITH AN UNSUBSCRIBE BUTTON.
evil exists in this world.

amberb94

Bronze

Postby amberb94 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:47 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
amta wrote:
Sarastro wrote:

+1

+2 The nets are 1000% more morbid than not having them. They are a VERY poignant reminder.

I kept seeing stuff about the nets and didn't realize there are ACTUALLY NETS. That is borderline creepy and depressing.

katthegreat11

Bronze

Postby katthegreat11 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:55 pm

Last edited by katthegreat11 on Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

ayylmao

Silver

Postby ayylmao » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:13 pm

Last edited by ayylmao on Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:33 pm

katthegreat11 wrote:
amberb94 wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:
amta wrote:
Sarastro wrote:

+1

I kept seeing stuff about the nets and didn't realize there are ACTUALLY NETS. That is borderline creepy and depressing.

Guys it's really not that bad. I went to Cornell undergrad and honestly the nets are comforting cause the gorges are awesome but can be scary as fuck since they're so high. It's more to prevent drunk people from falling in than students throwing themselves off, seriously.

You're probably right. I'm just being petty :lol:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?