TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

Kopetz

Bronze

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants - psychopaths & conceded ponies welcome

Postby Kopetz » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:55 pm

TexasENG wrote:
Kopetz wrote:
I haven't been on TLS long but there is some pretty deeply entrenched paranoia about LSAT scores, school rankings, etc. It seems partially fueled by reasonable debt-aversion in reaction to a faltering job market and increasing tuition but a lot of it is weird striver chauvinism. See, e.g., this travesty of a thread from two years back where a dean from an affordable, decent regional school tries to address substantive questions but gets drowned out by a chorus of "Kansas lol"

There definitely is a competitive element to some of TLS and the waiters threads can get pretty wild near the end, but I think in general TLS is helpful

On balance I agree, but I can see where the perception of 173-or-bust gunners comes from

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:56 pm

Kopetz wrote:
TexasENG wrote:
Kopetz wrote:
I haven't been on TLS long but there is some pretty deeply entrenched paranoia about LSAT scores, school rankings, etc. It seems partially fueled by reasonable debt-aversion in reaction to a faltering job market and increasing tuition but a lot of it is weird striver chauvinism. See, e.g., this travesty of a thread from two years back where a dean from an affordable, decent regional school tries to address substantive questions but gets drowned out by a chorus of "Kansas lol"

There definitely is a competitive element to some of TLS and the waiters threads can get pretty wild near the end, but I think in general TLS is helpful

On balance I agree, but I can see where the perception of 173-or-bust gunners comes from

The insistence on retaking is real. And sometimes unrealistic lol.

R. Jeeves

Gold

Postby R. Jeeves » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:01 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:Wow that threads brutal

yeah that thread was nagl

addie1412

Silver

Postby addie1412 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:03 pm

Kopetz wrote:
TexasENG wrote:
Kopetz wrote:

Yeah, but most people need a 173-or-bust mentality to score 173+, and TLS is pretty much the only source that'll provide that mentality. You can go pretty much anywhere else on the internet or simply speak to a career advisor/friend/family member to get a more "realistic" perspective.

I feel like I'm gonna look back in 10 years and realize I owe TLS my career. This board kinda changed my life. Two years ago, I was looking at Elon and Wake Forest. Monday, I have an interview with Columbia.

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:11 pm

Maybe I am a TLS snob, but I generally agree with the mindset here. Law school is a bad idea for most people. You need to minimize debt/maximize employment opportunities. It is not psychotic to tell people they if you get a 155 on the LSAT your probably shouldn't be going to law school.

I am also active in /r/Lawschooladmissions and /r/LSAT under a different name. There is generally a more positive attitude there and that may be a good thing for having fun, but there is a lot of terrible information there too. I try to be realistic.

pretzeltime

Gold

Postby pretzeltime » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:12 pm

R. Jeeves wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:December takers are coming to steal our jobs. What's Jeeves going to do about this?

something something I will code up a great firewall to keep Dec. waiters out of our thread and make them pay for it

ily 2 much

Kopetz

Bronze

Postby Kopetz » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:13 pm

addie1412 wrote:
Kopetz wrote:
TexasENG wrote:
Kopetz wrote:

Yeah, but most people need a 173-or-bust mentality to score 173+, and TLS is pretty much the only source that'll provide that mentality. You can go pretty much anywhere else on the internet or simply speak to a career advisor/friend/family member to get a more "realistic" perspective.

I feel like I'm gonna look back in 10 years and realize I owe TLS my career. This board kinda changed my life. Two years ago, I was looking at Elon and Wake Forest. Monday, I have an interview with Columbia.

I'm shocked, shocked at the focus on elite schools at top law schools dot com

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:19 pm

Kopetz wrote:
addie1412 wrote:
Kopetz wrote:
TexasENG wrote:
Kopetz wrote:

What I'm getting from addie, and also what I said a few posts above, is that TLS helped us realize our potential and that we had more options/control of where we could go than expected.

Also, of course we want to go to the elite schools. Who wouldn't if they could for a reasonable price?!?!? Anyone who says they'd pick Elon and Wake Forest over a T14 if money wasn't an object is either crazy or lying!

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Postby Gitaroo_Dude » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:23 pm

Kopetz wrote:
addie1412 wrote:
Kopetz wrote:
TexasENG wrote:
Kopetz wrote:

You snobbish elites can sit here in your ivory tour, discussing your 170+ LSAT scores and endless retakes.

Just know that the rest of us are the real applicants, and we will take back the law school admissions games. With strong softs, excellent LoRs, greats personal statements about our eye opening experiences studying abroad, and American ingenuity.

addie1412

Silver

Postby addie1412 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:27 pm

Kopetz wrote:
addie1412 wrote:
Kopetz wrote:
TexasENG wrote:
Kopetz wrote:

Don't you think it's necessary for at least one such source to exist given the ~180 non-elite accredited law schools to which 0Ls unthinkingly hand over their money each year? And the thousands of clueless prelaw advisors, friends, family members, reddit users, etc who assure them it's justifiable to do so?

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:27 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
Kopetz wrote:
addie1412 wrote:
Kopetz wrote:
TexasENG wrote:
Kopetz wrote:

You snobbish elites can sit here in your ivory tour, discussing your 170+ LSAT scores and endless retakes.

Just know that the rest of us are the real applicants, and we will take back the law school admissions games. With strong softs, excellent LoRs, greats personal statements about our eye opening experiences studying abroad, and American ingenuity.

Exactly, all you snobs can apply to YALE or HARVARD, who needs those schools. I am pretty sure I can be top of my class at Cooley. Besides, they offered me 2k a year, that 200k in debt will be super simple to pay off once I am a SCOTUS clerk.

pretzeltime

Gold

Postby pretzeltime » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:28 pm

addie1412 wrote:
Kopetz wrote:
addie1412 wrote:
Kopetz wrote:
TexasENG wrote:
Kopetz wrote:

Don't you think it's necessary for at least one such source to exist given the ~180 non-elite accredited law schools to which 0Ls unthinkingly hand over their money each year? And the thousands of clueless prelaw advisors, friends, family members, reddit users, etc who assure them it's justifiable to do so?

ppl do not understand ur sarcasm, Baby Bear

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:29 pm

addie1412 wrote:
Kopetz wrote:
addie1412 wrote:
Kopetz wrote:
TexasENG wrote:
Kopetz wrote:

Totally agreed. It is insane that there are people who get paid to advise undergrads on law schools that will tell 20 year olds to attend TTT schools at near sticker.

Kopetz

Bronze

Postby Kopetz » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:31 pm

addie1412 wrote:
Kopetz wrote:
addie1412 wrote:
Kopetz wrote:
TexasENG wrote:
Kopetz wrote:

Sorry, that was poorly indicated sarcasm, I meant to agree with you. I think the best ontopic-TLS function is something like you and Brinicolec said: providing advice & motivation to people who might not otherwise perform (specifically on the LSAT) to their fullest potential. To the extent it performs that function it's great. But that's different from the culture of "169? lol retake"

pretzeltime wrote:

u get me

addie1412

Silver

Postby addie1412 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:40 pm

Kopetz wrote:
addie1412 wrote:
Kopetz wrote:
addie1412 wrote:
Kopetz wrote:
TexasENG wrote:
Kopetz wrote:

Sorry, that was poorly indicated sarcasm, I meant to agree with you. I think the best ontopic-TLS function is something like you and Brinicolec said: providing advice & motivation to people who might not otherwise perform (specifically on the LSAT) to their fullest potential. To the extent it performs that function it's great. But that's different from the culture of "169? lol retake"

haha no worries i got the sarcasm ;) TLS is extreme for sure, but I feel like it helps average out the sea of misinformation out there exactly because it's so extreme. for that reason, i think it serves an important purpose. as silly as elitism is, you can't really get even a whiff of it anywhere else when it comes to law school (full disclosure i'm from a rural area in the south, so that probably affected my experience)

"169? lol retake" def kicked my ass into gear when everyone I knew would be THRILLED with a 162. yeah, you tend to lose perspective on TLS. but then you get a healthy dose of it back in the real world and it all evens out ok
Last edited by addie1412 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rubbishdump

Bronze

Postby Rubbishdump » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:43 pm

Anyone know how people fared December v September? Wondering if high #s will stay lower than last year.

RParadela

Silver

Postby RParadela » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:47 pm

TexasENG wrote:
Kopetz wrote:

Plenty of hyperbole on the site. Seems like people are on either extremes. For example, in the biglaw discussions people either view biglaw is the holy grail or the worst thing to ever happen to humanity.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:56 pm

Rubbishdump wrote:Anyone know how people fared December v September? Wondering if high #s will stay lower than last year.

I sure hope so lol

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:58 pm

Kopetz wrote:
addie1412 wrote:
Kopetz wrote:
addie1412 wrote:
Kopetz wrote:
TexasENG wrote:
Kopetz wrote:

pretzeltime wrote:

u get me

Lol, I realized your sarcasm as I went to reply the first time but figured for any reddit lurkers, it was a valid point to make anyway. Besides, I got a 167 in Sept. and if any of you think I should retake, you can suck it! :lol: But also, most people were assuring me I'd do alright with my 167 when I was contemplating whether or not I should retake, so we're not completely 170+ or bust.

Instrumental

Silver

Postby Instrumental » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:05 pm

LSACs app page is very buggy for me. Drop down menus that stay greyed out and inaccessible and randomly getting errors that log me off. I'm applying to law school and you can't stop me LSAC!

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:06 pm

Instrumental wrote:LSACs app page is very buggy for me. Drop down menus that stay greyed out and inaccessible and randomly getting errors that log me off. I'm applying to law school and you can't stop me LSAC!

Hm, maybe everyone and their mama with a Dec LSAT is trying to submit now. Lol

Instrumental

Silver

Postby Instrumental » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:20 pm

brinicolec wrote:
Instrumental wrote:LSACs app page is very buggy for me. Drop down menus that stay greyed out and inaccessible and randomly getting errors that log me off. I'm applying to law school and you can't stop me LSAC!

Hm, maybe everyone and their mama with a Dec LSAT is trying to submit now. Lol

mintme

Bronze

Postby mintme » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:31 pm

Finally checking in! I'm beyond excited to be done with the LSAT...let the next waiting game begin!

galeatus

Silver

Postby galeatus » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:32 pm

This poll is provoking war.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:43 pm

Kopetz wrote:
TexasENG wrote:
Kopetz wrote:

Oh god is it 173 or bust now? I thought I was comfortably part of the elite, a 1% for the rest of my life. Now I'm on the bubble?!?!?!?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?