TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

10
10
83%
9
0
No votes
8
1
8%
7
0
No votes
6
0
No votes
5
0
No votes
4
0
No votes
3
1
8%
2
0
No votes
1
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 12

User avatar
guynourmin

Gold
Posts: 3426
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 wannabes - you cant spell Applicant w/o the 'i cant'

Postby guynourmin » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:50 pm

brinicolec wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Is the general consensus that since WUSTL is generous with money for most ppl, it's not a good bargaining chip?


Bumping my own question lol


I think that is the general consensus, although I don't know how true it is.

User avatar
Dodocogon

Silver
Posts: 629
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:45 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 wannabes - you cant spell Applicant w/o the 'i cant'

Postby Dodocogon » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:16 am

I've come to realize that the reason I got a 159 on my first take was due to my using of the Wal-Mart brand of No.2 pencils rather than black ticons. Learn from me, don't make my mistake!

User avatar
Gitaroo_Dude

Silver
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:06 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 wannabes - you cant spell Applicant w/o the 'i cant'

Postby Gitaroo_Dude » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:30 am

Noob question:

I've begun putting together some financial worksheets on LST just to see what my total COA will be at schools. But there's one thing I'm not quite getting. Take Vanderbilt for instance. The full COA for three years would be roughly $234,000, but LST's full repayment table shows the full price at $288000. That's a $54,000 difference.

Is that difference entirely due to the extra costs of living one incurs during the summer and time away from school? Almost $18k a year seems pretty excessive for three to four months of living; where else could the extra costs be coming from?

Monday

Silver
Posts: 784
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:36 am

Re: TLS c/o 2020 wannabes - you cant spell Applicant w/o the 'i cant'

Postby Monday » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:30 am

.
Last edited by Monday on Wed May 10, 2017 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

addie1412

Silver
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:43 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 wannabes - you cant spell Applicant w/o the 'i cant'

Postby addie1412 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:26 pm

Thought I had fully come to terms with being a ~moderate splitter but now having major GPA remorse seeing how slow my cycle's going :lol:

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 wannabes - you cant spell Applicant w/o the 'i cant'

Postby Mikey » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:12 am

lol so one of my LOR writers still hasn't submitted my letter, despite back and forth emails during the summer. I know someone else who asked her for a LOR and she still hasn't gotten hers either for her grad program. we've both emailed her about it a few times and no responses in months.

if I were still applying this cycle I'd be kinda pissed, but I'm not anymore. who knows wtf happened to her, hopefully nothing bad bc she was a really nice woman and I really liked her, but who knows!

anyone have an experience like this??

User avatar
ashrice13

Gold
Posts: 1792
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:30 am

Re: TLS c/o 2020 wannabes - you cant spell Applicant w/o the 'i cant'

Postby ashrice13 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:16 pm

Mikey wrote:lol so one of my LOR writers still hasn't submitted my letter, despite back and forth emails during the summer. I know someone else who asked her for a LOR and she still hasn't gotten hers either for her grad program. we've both emailed her about it a few times and no responses in months.

if I were still applying this cycle I'd be kinda pissed, but I'm not anymore. who knows wtf happened to her, hopefully nothing bad bc she was a really nice woman and I really liked her, but who knows!

anyone have an experience like this??

I had a really tough time with one writer. After 5 months and several unanswered emails I literally had to take a day off work and wait outside his office until he showed up. I felt rude/awkward but I had the letter that same day....and I've been getting acceptances so he didn't write "this person sucks" or anything.

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 wannabes - you cant spell Applicant w/o the 'i cant'

Postby Mikey » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:32 pm

ashrice13 wrote:
Mikey wrote:lol so one of my LOR writers still hasn't submitted my letter, despite back and forth emails during the summer. I know someone else who asked her for a LOR and she still hasn't gotten hers either for her grad program. we've both emailed her about it a few times and no responses in months.

if I were still applying this cycle I'd be kinda pissed, but I'm not anymore. who knows wtf happened to her, hopefully nothing bad bc she was a really nice woman and I really liked her, but who knows!

anyone have an experience like this??

I had a really tough time with one writer. After 5 months and several unanswered emails I literally had to take a day off work and wait outside his office until he showed up. I felt rude/awkward but I had the letter that same day....and I've been getting acceptances so he didn't write "this person sucks" or anything.

Damn, that's rough. The issue is that this prof isn't at my school this semester, nor do I think she will be there next semester, so email is my only communication to her. It's all good though, I think I may just say screw it and ask this other prof who loves me.. lol. I just thought it would be cool to submit 3 LORs but it is what it is.

User avatar
Assasindowntheavenue

Silver
Posts: 818
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 wannabes - you cant spell Applicant w/o the 'i cant'

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:40 pm

Mikey wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
Mikey wrote:lol so one of my LOR writers still hasn't submitted my letter, despite back and forth emails during the summer. I know someone else who asked her for a LOR and she still hasn't gotten hers either for her grad program. we've both emailed her about it a few times and no responses in months.

if I were still applying this cycle I'd be kinda pissed, but I'm not anymore. who knows wtf happened to her, hopefully nothing bad bc she was a really nice woman and I really liked her, but who knows!

anyone have an experience like this??

I had a really tough time with one writer. After 5 months and several unanswered emails I literally had to take a day off work and wait outside his office until he showed up. I felt rude/awkward but I had the letter that same day....and I've been getting acceptances so he didn't write "this person sucks" or anything.

Damn, that's rough. The issue is that this prof isn't at my school this semester, nor do I think she will be there next semester, so email is my only communication to her. It's all good though, I think I may just say screw it and ask this other prof who loves me.. lol. I just thought it would be cool to submit 3 LORs but it is what it is.



I had the same experience with one of my first professors in college. Amazing academic, nice guy, wanted to help me and told me if I ever needed it, I could count on him for a LOR. Then he suddenly stopped emailing me back and I never heard from him again. Hope you're doing okay Pat!

It's weird when things like that happen, but it is what it is. However if I were you, I'd give up on that LOR and ask that other professor. I can't imagine you'd get a solid letter from someone you had to hound down for months, in the event she came through. Best of luck!

User avatar
azaleafire

Bronze
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:37 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 wannabes - you cant spell Applicant w/o the 'i cant'

Postby azaleafire » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:11 pm

Mikey wrote:lol so one of my LOR writers still hasn't submitted my letter, despite back and forth emails during the summer. I know someone else who asked her for a LOR and she still hasn't gotten hers either for her grad program. we've both emailed her about it a few times and no responses in months.

if I were still applying this cycle I'd be kinda pissed, but I'm not anymore. who knows wtf happened to her, hopefully nothing bad bc she was a really nice woman and I really liked her, but who knows!

anyone have an experience like this??


Yeah one of my friends had that. At least LSAC let's you know when a letter is submitted, but she was applying for a fellowship where there were no status checkers. She emailed the professor, and talked to him, and he said he had submitted it - but then got an email from the fellowship two weeks later asking where it was. When she emailed him to double check that it hadn't gotten lost, she got radio silence.

Professors are people too. Some are just flaky.

Hennessy

Gold
Posts: 2516
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:54 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 wannabes - you cant spell Applicant w/o the 'i cant'

Postby Hennessy » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:25 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:Noob question:

I've begun putting together some financial worksheets on LST just to see what my total COA will be at schools. But there's one thing I'm not quite getting. Take Vanderbilt for instance. The full COA for three years would be roughly $234,000, but LST's full repayment table shows the full price at $288000. That's a $54,000 difference.

Is that difference entirely due to the extra costs of living one incurs during the summer and time away from school? Almost $18k a year seems pretty excessive for three to four months of living; where else could the extra costs be coming from?


Massive amounts of interest generating/capitalizing while in school. Loan interest capitalizes from day 1 of disbursement.

User avatar
Gitaroo_Dude

Silver
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:06 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 wannabes - you cant spell Applicant w/o the 'i cant'

Postby Gitaroo_Dude » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:43 pm

Monday wrote:
LST wrote:Interest calculations are time-sensitive. The rate for the first 10.25k each semester is 5.31%, 6.31% for the rest. Interest accrues upon disbursement and capitalizes six months after graduation when the first loan payment is due. Monthly payments use a blended interest rate. Debt-Financed Cost of Attendance


HennessyVSOP wrote:Massive amounts of interest generating/capitalizing while in school. Loan interest capitalizes from day 1 of disbursement.


I was really hoping I could avoid math by going to law school. :cry:

User avatar
dietcoke1

Silver
Posts: 1326
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 wannabes - you cant spell Applicant w/o the 'i cant'

Postby dietcoke1 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:46 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
Monday wrote:
LST wrote:Interest calculations are time-sensitive. The rate for the first 10.25k each semester is 5.31%, 6.31% for the rest. Interest accrues upon disbursement and capitalizes six months after graduation when the first loan payment is due. Monthly payments use a blended interest rate. Debt-Financed Cost of Attendance


HennessyVSOP wrote:Massive amounts of interest generating/capitalizing while in school. Loan interest capitalizes from day 1 of disbursement.


I was really hoping I could avoid math by going to law school. :cry:


https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1AHcF ... sp=sharing

here is a spreadsheet to help you out. also have to consider tuition rises but this spreadsheet covers that

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 wannabes - you cant spell Applicant w/o the 'i cant'

Postby brinicolec » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:53 pm

Me: All the offices are probably closed for the holidays by now. Time to relax for like a week.
Also me: Check every status checker... JUST in case...
Image

User avatar
haley12

Silver
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:37 am

Re: TLS c/o 2020 wannabes - you cant spell Applicant w/o the 'i cant'

Postby haley12 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:26 pm

brinicolec wrote:Me: All the offices are probably closed for the holidays by now. Time to relax for like a week.
Also me: Check every status checker... JUST in case...
Image


HAHHA meeee :lol:

User avatar
Assasindowntheavenue

Silver
Posts: 818
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 wannabes - you cant spell Applicant w/o the 'i cant'

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:13 pm

brinicolec wrote:Me: All the offices are probably closed for the holidays by now. Time to relax for like a week.
Also me: Check every status checker... JUST in case...
Image


This is gold lol.

User avatar
studyingeveryday

Silver
Posts: 545
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:19 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 wannabes - you cant spell Applicant w/o the 'i cant'

Postby studyingeveryday » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:46 pm

Has anyone visited any schools they applied to either before or after submitting your apps? (aka before you got a decision). Do you think it helped your decision in that school at all?

Also, some schools offer meeting with an admissions counselor. Has anyone done that? What exactly would one talk about that you can't find on the website, and do you think that extra step would help as well?

User avatar
azaleafire

Bronze
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:37 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 wannabes - you cant spell Applicant w/o the 'i cant'

Postby azaleafire » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:23 pm

studyingeveryday wrote:Has anyone visited any schools they applied to either before or after submitting your apps? (aka before you got a decision). Do you think it helped your decision in that school at all?

Also, some schools offer meeting with an admissions counselor. Has anyone done that? What exactly would one talk about that you can't find on the website, and do you think that extra step would help as well?


I imagine its the same thing you would get from meeting a counselor at a college (as opposed to at the school's office), or going to a law school fair. For example, Columbia came to my school, I spoke with an admission's representative about a couple of questions I couldn't get just from the website, and she told me to email when I sent in my app. I did, and my interviewer mentioned that she said "hi" when I interviewed. Sometimes its just nice to have a face on the application. Will it help overwhelmingly? Probably not. But its nice to do sometimes.

zeglo

Silver
Posts: 664
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:42 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 wannabes - you cant spell Applicant w/o the 'i cant'

Postby zeglo » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:14 am

.
Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 wannabes - you cant spell Applicant w/o the 'i cant'

Postby brinicolec » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:54 am

zeglo wrote:So I am guessing a ton of decisions will go out the week of January 2-5 after score releases.


I certainly hope so.
I have so many apps out. It's ridiculous lol.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver
Posts: 1297
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:27 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 wannabes - you cant spell Applicant w/o the 'i cant'

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:00 pm

Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Me: All the offices are probably closed for the holidays by now. Time to relax for like a week.
Also me: Check every status checker... JUST in case...
Image


This is gold lol.


To be fair, I did this and there was movement from nyu of all schools

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 wannabes - you cant spell Applicant w/o the 'i cant'

Postby brinicolec » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:26 am

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Me: All the offices are probably closed for the holidays by now. Time to relax for like a week.
Also me: Check every status checker... JUST in case...
Image


This is gold lol.


To be fair, I did this and there was movement from nyu of all schools


... when? lol.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver
Posts: 1297
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:27 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 wannabes - you cant spell Applicant w/o the 'i cant'

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:58 am

brinicolec wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Me: All the offices are probably closed for the holidays by now. Time to relax for like a week.
Also me: Check every status checker... JUST in case...
Image


This is gold lol.


To be fair, I did this and there was movement from nyu of all schools


... when? lol.


I went ur 2 on 12/22 but didn't check it until 12/24. Fingers crossed I've got some kind of decision ready to launch in the new year

User avatar
airwrecka

Silver
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 wannabes - you cant spell Applicant w/o the 'i cant'

Postby airwrecka » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:26 am

Just got home from a 10 day vacation in Ecuador. I was obsessively checking statuses of all schools before I left with little movement, but then during my trip I got accepted to Penn, Cornell, got a scholarship at Mich, and got a JS1 from Harvard. So I guess going on vacation is the key to success? :lol:

Anyway...does anyone else feel so excited a bunch of schools and feel overwhelmed with the idea of deciding? Like yes, I understand that some schools are ranked more highly than others, but quite honestly I would LOVE to go to almost every school in the T10. Every time I read an admissions packet or look thoroughly at a website I'm like "that's the school!" but then I change my mind when I look at the next school :P Maybe I'm just really excited by the prospect of living somewhere new for a change, and a lot of options sound better than where I am now :P Hopefully visiting some schools will narrow my choice down a bit!

User avatar
proteinshake

Gold
Posts: 4637
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: TLS c/o 2020 wannabes - you cant spell Applicant w/o the 'i cant'

Postby proteinshake » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:55 pm

I'm really excited to visit schools!



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Gator752, Google [Bot], KoozBall, WhiteFish11 and 20 guests