TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

potterotter

Bronze

Re: TLS c/o 2020 wannabes - you cant spell Applicant w/o the 'i cant'

Postby potterotter » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:06 pm

---
Last edited by potterotter on Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

azaleafire

Bronze

Postby azaleafire » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:10 pm

brinicolec wrote:I just spent an ungodly amount of time doing an updated "What to Expect When You're Expecting" thread for this cycle for anyone interested because I noticed that some of the older ones were outdated/inaccurate

Thanks brinicolec!

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:19 am

Do we know if adcomms are still working on apps next week?

mudiverse

Bronze

Postby mudiverse » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:35 pm

I would be pretty surprised if we see much (if any) activity this week. It's basically a half-week and everyone is already mentally checked-out. My prediction is once we get back in two weeks with the new Dec LSAT scores, we will have a huge spike of decisions.

I'm hoping everything will come through by Jan 15th and I'll be able to make a final deliberation.

Kopetz

Bronze

Postby Kopetz » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:24 pm

3 applications left to get in (unfortunately all for schools I'd really like to attend.) I may have underestimated the necessary time investment of a couple dozen law school applications.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:41 pm

mudiverse wrote:I would be pretty surprised if we see much (if any) activity this week. It's basically a half-week and everyone is already mentally checked-out. My prediction is once we get back in two weeks with the new Dec LSAT scores, we will have a huge spike of decisions.

I'm hoping everything will come through by Jan 15th and I'll be able to make a final deliberation.

Got an acceptance call today, as well as a UR. Harvard had its first wave of acceptances today too.

Seems like adcomm is still in the office and putting in work today!

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:41 pm

Kopetz wrote:3 applications left to get in (unfortunately all for schools I'd really like to attend.) I may have underestimated the necessary time investment of a couple dozen law school applications.

You can dooooo it! lol

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:44 pm

Is the general consensus that since WUSTL is generous with money for most ppl, it's not a good bargaining chip?

Hennessy

Gold

Postby Hennessy » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:44 pm

I only realized today (after speaking with a friend) that Tulane accepts a "Why x" essay - I submitted my application over two weeks ago. Is it still worth it to submit? Or would it come off looking disorganized?

Dodocogon

Silver

Postby Dodocogon » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:59 pm

brinicolec wrote:Is the general consensus that since WUSTL is generous with money for most ppl, it's not a good bargaining chip?

I feel like you can use it if you can conceivably show you'd consider going there due to its affordability. Money is money, even if they do splash it out across the board. I'd agree it is a harder sell for sure though.

btruj777

Bronze

Postby btruj777 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:00 pm

brinicolec wrote:Is the general consensus that since WUSTL is generous with money for most ppl, it's not a good bargaining chip?

Bargaining in the sense of leveraging it to better your position with another school? If so,

I think that it doesnt matter if WUSTL is very generous and gives a lot of $ to a lot of apps. Because remember, when you are trying to leverage another school's scholly to get more money from another school, it only matters what incentive the first school has that the second school lacks - then second school has to over come that incentive to "buy you in". So if WUSTL gave you a full ride, and you communicate that that money is strong incentive to go, then any other school may have to overcome that incentive. I dont know if this makes sense lol

Its the same reason a lesser ranked school may bump up their offer when you tell them you got into like HYS

The_Pluviophile

Bronze

Postby The_Pluviophile » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:50 pm

So I had a thought today. I work in the admissions office at my Uni and I've personally witnessed (and maybe participated in...) the facebook stalking of some applicants by the Director of admissions. I haven't ever been able to quite pinpoint what her reasoning is for doing this, although it often seems like she just does it when she finds an applicant particularly interesting and wants to learn more about him/her, or if she already doesn't like him/her and is looking for a more concrete reason to reject. The question I have is, does anyone know if law school admissions people do this as well?

I actually find the thought a bit amusing for some reason...

BobBoblaw

Bronze

Postby BobBoblaw » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:13 pm

The_Pluviophile wrote:So I had a thought today. I work in the admissions office at my Uni and I've personally witnessed (and maybe participated in...) the facebook stalking of some applicants by the Director of admissions. I haven't ever been able to quite pinpoint what her reasoning is for doing this, although it often seems like she just does it when she finds an applicant particularly interesting and wants to learn more about him/her, or if she already doesn't like him/her and is looking for a more concrete reason to reject. The question I have is, does anyone know if law school admissions people do this as well?

My assumption was always that Facebook stalking is certainly possible, and though I don't have anything to hide, I've suspended my Facebook account out of an abundance of caution.

pretzeltime

Gold

Postby pretzeltime » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:15 pm

tbh my social media presence is on fleek and I'd probably an autoadmit if adcomms saw my instagram. I welcome their stalking.

sorence

Bronze

Postby sorence » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:18 pm

pretzeltime wrote:tbh my social media presence is on fleek and I'd probably an autoadmit if adcomms saw my instagram. I welcome their stalking.

#respect

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:20 pm

The_Pluviophile wrote:So I had a thought today. I work in the admissions office at my Uni and I've personally witnessed (and maybe participated in...) the facebook stalking of some applicants by the Director of admissions. I haven't ever been able to quite pinpoint what her reasoning is for doing this, although it often seems like she just does it when she finds an applicant particularly interesting and wants to learn more about him/her, or if she already doesn't like him/her and is looking for a more concrete reason to reject. The question I have is, does anyone know if law school admissions people do this as well?

The only thing they would see are pictures of my dog, fiancé and my travels for work. (Unless they do some dee digging to my blunderyears of high school).

govlife

Bronze

Postby govlife » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:49 am

brinicolec wrote:I just spent an ungodly amount of time doing an updated "What to Expect When You're Expecting" thread for this cycle for anyone interested because I noticed that some of the older ones were outdated/inaccurate

Thanks!

RParadela

Silver

Postby RParadela » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:59 am

Okay, I've got a possibly stupid question here.. Just submitted my apps to BU, Georgetown, NYU, and Columbia.. I'm still waiting on my LSAT scores in December and also 1 of my LORs to send the letter in. How do I check my status at these places? When I go to the respective websites it asks for a login but I don't have an account at any of those schools

galeatus

Silver

Postby galeatus » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:28 am

RParadela wrote:Okay, I've got a possibly stupid question here.. Just submitted my apps to BU, Georgetown, NYU, and Columbia.. I'm still waiting on my LSAT scores in December and also 1 of my LORs to send the letter in. How do I check my status at these places? When I go to the respective websites it asks for a login but I don't have an account at any of those schools

They'll email you with the login details after they've processed your app (as in confirmed that they've received your LSAC report as it is now, not as in marking your app as complete). There is a chance that you might receive the emails before Christmas but I think after New Year is more likely as many of the offices are closing fairly soon.

galeatus

Silver

Postby galeatus » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:31 am

You're amazing

Cbear2017

New

Postby Cbear2017 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:48 am

Dodocogon wrote:Just went through all the released 509's and updated my admissions/COA spreadsheet for my schools. Why is Cornell's COL so high?? Is Ithaca super expensive? Tuition there is high enough as it is.

Yes--Ithaca is very expensive (I currently live there). The rent estimate is actually very accurate from Cornell unfortunately and, although you could live further away, there is almost NO convenient parking by the law school. It's actually pretty upfront of Cornell to show accurate rent prices instead of pricing from locations that are a 30+ minute walk up a very steep hill.

RParadela

Silver

Postby RParadela » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:50 am

galeatus wrote:
RParadela wrote:Okay, I've got a possibly stupid question here.. Just submitted my apps to BU, Georgetown, NYU, and Columbia.. I'm still waiting on my LSAT scores in December and also 1 of my LORs to send the letter in. How do I check my status at these places? When I go to the respective websites it asks for a login but I don't have an account at any of those schools

They'll email you with the login details after they've processed your app (as in confirmed that they've received your LSAC report as it is now, not as in marking your app as complete). There is a chance that you might receive the emails before Christmas but I think after New Year is more likely as many of the offices are closing fairly soon.

Ahh gotcha. Looking forward to checking my status everyday!

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:37 am

galeatus wrote:

You're amazing

aw thanks!

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:39 pm

Bumping my own question lol

carlos_danger

Bronze

Postby carlos_danger » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:45 pm

brinicolec wrote:

Bumping my own question lol

My friend used the WUSTL scholarship as one and got a full ride at UT, but idk how much of that was him having really great numbers and how much of it was the WUSTL offer.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?