TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

amberb94

Bronze

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby amberb94 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:12 pm

ashrice13 wrote:
studyingeveryday wrote:did anyone get to a point with their PS after months of working on it and sending it out to schools where they felt like it was just terrible? not sure if i think this because i've been re-writing it over and over again for so long or if whatever is left at this point just isn't that great

Yeah...totally had this happen. I hated it through about 4 rewrites. Walked away from it for about a month, reread/slightly edited it and loved it. Gave it to my friend who was an English Lit major proofread and she also loved it. Submitted apps- and now I'm convinced that it's in the wrong topic and schools are going to hate me.

I wish schools would give feedback with acceptances.
I know that isn't realistic at all but I really want to know what people are thinking when they read my personal statement. :roll:

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:52 pm

amberb94 wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
studyingeveryday wrote:did anyone get to a point with their PS after months of working on it and sending it out to schools where they felt like it was just terrible? not sure if i think this because i've been re-writing it over and over again for so long or if whatever is left at this point just isn't that great

Yeah...totally had this happen. I hated it through about 4 rewrites. Walked away from it for about a month, reread/slightly edited it and loved it. Gave it to my friend who was an English Lit major proofread and she also loved it. Submitted apps- and now I'm convinced that it's in the wrong topic and schools are going to hate me.

I wish schools would give feedback with acceptances.
I know that isn't realistic at all but I really want to know what people are thinking when they read my personal statement. :roll:

Haha I agree! Would love to know...

Dodocogon

Silver

Postby Dodocogon » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:54 pm

What time of year do new rankings / job placement stats come out?

dietcoke1

Silver

Postby dietcoke1 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:59 pm

Dodocogon wrote:What time of year do new rankings / job placement stats come out?

march/april

R. Jeeves

Gold

Postby R. Jeeves » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:53 pm

new poll up

pizzagoblin

Bronze

Postby pizzagoblin » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:41 pm

Hey, all.

I've already submitted all of my applications, but I just got promoted at my job. Is it worth sending updated resumes to the schools I haven't heard back from yet?

Not to get too specific, but my previous role had me immersed in a slew of legal practice areas. Now I'll be focused on financial law. My background is in soft IP, though, and I said in my essays that I was interested in continuing a career in that practice area.

Would it be too confusing giving them this financial law info? Is it looked down upon to send updated documents?

Thanks!

Bob loblaw law blog

Bronze

Postby Bob loblaw law blog » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:54 pm

pizzagoblin wrote:Hey, all.

I've already submitted all of my applications, but I just got promoted at my job. Is it worth sending updated resumes to the schools I haven't heard back from yet?

Not to get too specific, but my previous role had me immersed in a slew of legal practice areas. Now I'll be focused on financial law. My background is in soft IP, though, and I said in my essays that I was interested in continuing a career in that practice area.

Would it be too confusing giving them this financial law info? Is it looked down upon to send updated documents?

Thanks!

I don't think it's confusing at all, and I would assume schools would want to know this kind of info. Being promoted indicates that the powers that be at your work are happy with your performance, which would be a positive in the eyes of an adcom who is gauging whether you have the skills to land a job/will be appealing to firms at oci. Even if it doesn't mean crap to them though, I can't imagine that there's a downside. I don't think they're going to think you're lying in your ps or anything, people get offered positions that aren't their first choice but are still desirable all the time.

TL;DR: Go for it, probably won't change much but there's no real downside I think.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:28 pm

do you think its okay to submit the same DS as a reapplicant? asking for a friend.

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:56 am

proteinshake wrote:do you think its okay to submit the same DS as a reapplicant? asking for a friend.

I'd think so. Generally it's a good idea to fully change or, at least, largely rework your PS but that's because you should have more than one thing to say about yourself and why you're going to law school. Your diversity, however, isn't going to change from one application year to the next. It makes sense for that statement to stay the same.

Hennessy

Gold

Postby Hennessy » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:30 pm

I am like 2 seconds away from submitting all my apps, but now I am freaking out about all the C&F stuff I need to disclose (all small stuff, low GPA warning, traffic ticket, etc.)

will someone review my C&F statement plz?

YoungSimba

New

Postby YoungSimba » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:02 am

I'm a charity case in need of some love. I'm a reapplicant and can't find the creative juices to work up a new PS or majorly revamp the old one. I'm sure there's a story staring me in the face, I'm just so burnt out from working all the time I can't see it. I've already lurked in the PS forum, but I honestly think I just need a person to quickly bounce some ideas off and get some feedback. Wish I could afford a consultant. Any help would be appreciated. Please PM. Thanks!! <3333

Hennessy

Gold

Postby Hennessy » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:32 pm

Last edited by Hennessy on Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Got my second letter and pulled the trigger on almost everything! Just submitted a ton of apps. Only ones left are Columbia (need to get parents info...don't talk to them much, though) and UCLA (thinking about applying to their public interest program).

I can't believe the list of schools I am applying to. I'm so happy to be (basically) done. Hopefully an interview or two, but otherwise I can just relax. Unfortunately won't hear back from Duke before thanksgiving, which was my submission goal, but I'm just happy its all done.

I received some mail from Columbia and it had me almost in tears. I didn't go to a very good college and I've never had a job where I've worked with more than half a dozen people or so. The thought of being with so many ambitious and motivated people - if that's Columbia or Northwestern or wherever - is such an exciting idea. I really feel ready to put in the work.

Speaking of work...

aaron1621

New

Postby aaron1621 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:15 pm

Does age matter to law schools? For example would it help if an applicant was 17 and just finished his/ her bachelors. Same for an older applicant?

Gold

Postby 20170322 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:20 pm

aaron1621 wrote:Does age matter to law schools? For example would it help if an applicant was 17 and just finished his/ her bachelors. Same for an older applicant?

From old TLS thread, it seems that being young (sub 22) can hurt, but being old rarely does and is often an asset.

studyingeveryday

Silver

Postby studyingeveryday » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:30 pm

aaron1621 wrote:Does age matter to law schools? For example would it help if an applicant was 17 and just finished his/ her bachelors. Same for an older applicant?

Also, I would suggest to anyone that young that they should go travel, live their lives, gain work experience, and use that time to get a great LSAT score before they go to law school.

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:40 pm

studyingeveryday wrote:

Also, I would suggest to anyone that young that they should go travel, live their lives, gain work experience, and use that time to get a great LSAT score before they go to law school.

+ 1

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:47 pm

Yeah, being that young would hurt, rather than help; whereas being older would potentially be an asset.

I think I saw someone on LSN with quite good numbers who attributed their bad cycle to being 19. There may have been additional factors though.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:26 pm

studyingeveryday wrote:

More than that - even if being 17 wouldn't hurt you in applying (in would, though), you'd be 21/22 when applying for jobs. 21 year old ADA? 21 year old big law associate? it's just going to be an uphill battle for a long time and hardly seems worth it.

pretzeltime

Gold

Postby pretzeltime » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:07 pm

nvm
Last edited by pretzeltime on Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:09 pm

Additionally, schools always stress that they look for if you're a good fit for the community; specifically smaller schools. An 18 year old among a sea of 24 year olds is a very big cultural difference. It would be difficult interacting with peers.

Keilz

Gold

Postby Keilz » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:09 pm

pretzeltime wrote:Question! My files are complete at the schools I applied to. I want to add another letter of recommendation. Is it possible to send these through LSAC after I've already applied to the schools, or do I need to contact the schools directly and have the letters mailed directly to them?

Can't quite find an answer on this, anyone know?

LSAC states that you need to contact the school directly to change anything on your app once its transmitted.

pretzeltime

Gold

Postby pretzeltime » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:18 pm

More general question to y'all: my files have been complete for a while, is it weird at this stage in the game to submit an additional letter of rec? Like, should I wait until (if) I am waitlisted and then maybe submit it then?

pretzeltime

Gold

Postby pretzeltime » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:31 pm

Keilz wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:Question! My files are complete at the schools I applied to. I want to add another letter of recommendation. Is it possible to send these through LSAC after I've already applied to the schools, or do I need to contact the schools directly and have the letters mailed directly to them?

Can't quite find an answer on this, anyone know?

LSAC states that you need to contact the school directly to change anything on your app once its transmitted.

Thanks. LOR are treated differently than the app, turns out.

LSAC got back to me surprisingly quickly, here is there response in case it helps others

"If the letter has been assigned to a school, the letter of recommendation will automatically be sent to the school as an update if the first time report has already been released to the law school and the law school has not already received the maximum amount of letters for you. The law schools have provided LSAC with a schedule of when they want to receive updates; some schools want them twice a month, others once a week and some want the update to be sent as soon as it is processed. For that reason, it is a possibility that the updated letter will be sent to one law school before another. Because this is considered an update to the report, you will not need to order another report."

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Postby Gitaroo_Dude » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:07 pm

Congratulations to Sweet Tort on ending TexasENG's reign of terror in MS9's league.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?