TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

ashrice13

Gold

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (Happy Halloween!)

Postby ashrice13 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:25 am

Earlskies wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:Getting ready to fill out my FAFSA for next year. Has anyone done this already? Would you recommend sending my completed FAFSA report to each school I've applied to, or just wait until I get accepted and add each school I get in to that way?

I'm interested as well.

So...I've been out if school for a few years and haven't completed a FAFSA in a while. Do we do this soon? I must be crazy...I could have sworn we did these after tax returns were done because we had to include our most recent tax data.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:33 am

ashrice13 wrote:
Earlskies wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:Getting ready to fill out my FAFSA for next year. Has anyone done this already? Would you recommend sending my completed FAFSA report to each school I've applied to, or just wait until I get accepted and add each school I get in to that way?

I'm interested as well.

So...I've been out if school for a few years and haven't completed a FAFSA in a while. Do we do this soon? I must be crazy...I could have sworn we did these after tax returns were done because we had to include our most recent tax data.

P sure you are correct.

studyingeveryday

Silver

Postby studyingeveryday » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:34 am

guybourdin wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
Earlskies wrote:

I'm interested as well.

P sure you are correct.

Yup, it changed this year. It was previously available starting January 1 but now it's available on October 1.

studyingeveryday

Silver

Postby studyingeveryday » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:34 am

But I still don't know when we should fill it out in terms of when we submit our apps.

Nobiggie

New

Postby Nobiggie » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:15 am

trkmaniak00 wrote:I don't think that there is a thread, but Ohio state started acceptances via email + status checker.

Yep I got in couple weeks ago. Email then snail mail

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:48 am

studyingeveryday wrote:But I still don't know when we should fill it out in terms of when we submit our apps.

I think you should try to fill it out before april 1. Definitely not something you need to do the day you get your w2. I'm sure I'll do it sometime in Feb and that will be before most people.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:21 pm

Hey, if any of the June homies or September homies want to add each other on FB, PM me. I've already added some people, would love to add some others! :mrgreen:

katthegreat11

Bronze

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby katthegreat11 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:02 am

Soooo..... anyone else less confident about their plan to go into massive debt for law school when the country's economy may have tanked by the time we graduate thanks to President Trump?

/s but also maybe a little serious?

TexasENG

Silver

Postby TexasENG » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:23 am

Last edited by TexasENG on Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:06 am

TexasENG wrote:
katthegreat11 wrote:Soooo..... anyone else less confident about their plan to go into massive debt for law school when the country's economy may have tanked by the time we graduate thanks to President Trump?

This is pretty concerning actually, mostly because one of his actual discernible goals has been getting rid of federal backed student loans. So that means private loans with no protections or guarantees. For anyone planning on using the public service loan forgiveness this should be terrifying, because that's a plan that will go away if he gets rid of federal loans...

Didn't know this. What in the fuck.

Thelaw23

Silver

Postby Thelaw23 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:18 am

katthegreat11 wrote:Soooo..... anyone else less confident about their plan to go into massive debt for law school when the country's economy may have tanked by the time we graduate thanks to President Trump?

To be honest, no, because now I feel less concerned about World War 3 happening, as was likely with the Clintons back in the White House.

As a prospective student of law I would also find it reprehensible to find someone like Hillary in the White House after her charges and crimes. She really did get away with things no regular citizen would. Including perjury.

katthegreat11

Bronze

Postby katthegreat11 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:25 am

Thelaw23 wrote:

To be honest, no, because now I feel less concerned about World War 3 happening, as was likely with the Clintons back in the White House.

As a prospective student of law I would also find it reprehensible to find someone like Hillary in the White House after her charges and crimes. She really did get away with things no regular citizen would. Including perjury.

Yeah, no, I typed up a whole retort, but I'm tired of this so I'm not getting into it. The fact that the stock markets are plummeting and global confidence in America has just dropped dramatically is what concerns me.

Bob loblaw law blog

Bronze

Postby Bob loblaw law blog » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:48 am

katthegreat11 wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:

Yeah, no, I typed up a whole retort, but I'm tired of this so I'm not getting into it. The fact that the stock markets are plummeting and global confidence in America has just dropped dramatically is what concerns me.

I agree. Let's not get into it on here y'all. There are a billion other places to gloat/worry/cry/cheer ect but this isn't one of them. The profession we're all hoping to enter demands that one be able to work with those who strongly disagree with you (or at least are being paid enough to pretend they do). If you can't do that on the internet, I'd hate to see how things go for you in court.

katthegreat11

Bronze

Postby katthegreat11 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:58 am

Bob loblaw law blog wrote:
katthegreat11 wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:

I agree. Let's not get into it on here y'all. There are a billion other places to gloat/worry/cry/cheer ect but this isn't one of them. The profession we're all hoping to enter demands that one be able to work with those who strongly disagree with you (or at least are being paid enough to pretend they do). If you can't do that on the internet, I'd hate to see how things go for you in court.

I agree, and my intention was not to start an argument about the election. This was a legitimate inquiry. Regardless of whether you are happy or not that Trump is president, the fact is that some of the plans he has, like TexasENG mentioned, as well as the global markets response to his win are legitimately making me worried about taking on debt in this uncertain and unstable time.

Thelaw23

Silver

Postby Thelaw23 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:05 am

katthegreat11 wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:

Very well put!

Bob loblaw law blog

Bronze

Postby Bob loblaw law blog » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:08 am

katthegreat11 wrote:
katthegreat11 wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:

I agree, and my intention was not to start an argument about the election. This was a legitimate inquiry. Regardless of whether you are happy or not that Trump is president, the fact is that some of the plans he has, like TexasENG mentioned, as well as the global markets response to his win are legitimately making me worried about taking on debt in this uncertain and unstable time.

Yeah I 100% get that, and have similar feelings. I was just hoping to keep things civil and relatively on topic in here and thus recommending we keep those worries to ourselves until things calm down a bit. Nobody has to listen to me if they don't want to, but I think maybe the lounge would be a better place to express those thoughts.

studyingeveryday

Silver

Postby studyingeveryday » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:14 pm

did anyone get to a point with their PS after months of working on it and sending it out to schools where they felt like it was just terrible? not sure if i think this because i've been re-writing it over and over again for so long or if whatever is left at this point just isn't that great

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:16 pm

studyingeveryday wrote:did anyone get to a point with their PS after months of working on it and sending it out to schools where they felt like it was just terrible? not sure if i think this because i've been re-writing it over and over again for so long or if whatever is left at this point just isn't that great

I think that's natural when you look at an (important) piece of writing for a long time. It begins to be difficult to see what is good or not good. As long as you had other people read it, I'm sure if you put months of work into it, it can't be terrible.

LibertyKoko

Bronze

Postby LibertyKoko » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:35 pm

katthegreat11 wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:

The stock market just turned green....

Bob loblaw law blog

Bronze

Postby Bob loblaw law blog » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:37 pm

studyingeveryday wrote:did anyone get to a point with their PS after months of working on it and sending it out to schools where they felt like it was just terrible? not sure if i think this because i've been re-writing it over and over again for so long or if whatever is left at this point just isn't that great

Had this exact same feeling, but so far things are going great acceptance wise so either I was wrong or it really is strictly a numbers game. I think what others have said is accurate, it's one of the only parts of an application we have total control over so it's easy to obsess over and be neuronic about the possibility that it's not the absolute best thing we've ever written.

katthegreat11

Bronze

Postby katthegreat11 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:42 pm

LibertyKoko wrote:
katthegreat11 wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:

The stock market just turned green....

They were very uncertain overnight, hence my initial reaction.

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:01 pm

Yeah...totally had this happen. I hated it through about 4 rewrites. Walked away from it for about a month, reread/slightly edited it and loved it. Gave it to my friend who was an English Lit major proofread and she also loved it. Submitted apps- and now I'm convinced that it's in the wrong topic and schools are going to hate me.

studyingeveryday

Silver

Postby studyingeveryday » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:31 pm

ashrice13 wrote:

Yeah...totally had this happen. I hated it through about 4 rewrites. Walked away from it for about a month, reread/slightly edited it and loved it. Gave it to my friend who was an English Lit major proofread and she also loved it. Submitted apps- and now I'm convinced that it's in the wrong topic and schools are going to hate me.

That's how I feel now too. I guess I just have to wait and see what happens. I wouldn't be as concerned if my numbers were better, but it is what it is.

studyingeveryday

Silver

Postby studyingeveryday » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:37 pm

How long can it take to go complete or at least get an email from a school? I only submitted three so far and two sent complete emails less than 12 hours later so I don't have much to base this on.

It's been almost a day for my third school, though, and nothing so far. Is this normal?

studyingeveryday

Silver

Postby studyingeveryday » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:08 pm

studyingeveryday wrote:How long can it take to go complete or at least get an email from a school? I only submitted three so far and two sent complete emails less than 12 hours later so I don't have much to base this on.

It's been almost a day for my third school, though, and nothing so far. Is this normal?

never mind, just got the complete email! :lol:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?