TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby call-me-bubbles » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:18 am

Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SilverSurfer2020

Bronze

Postby SilverSurfer2020 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:25 am

So other than Duke & UVA, most applicants won't hear back from the rest of T14 until at least November, right?

beantheshadow

Bronze

Postby beantheshadow » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:06 pm

call-me-bubbles wrote:
beantheshadow wrote:Got a question about the Chicago application. In additional demographics it asks if were the first in our family to attend college, my older brother was the first one to attend but he dropped out after three years. I was the first to graduate. Am I over thinking this question? Lol

I asked this in the Chicago thread but it seems like we have more traffic here and I want to submit my app today! LOl

If your older brother attended college, then you aren't the first in your family to attend college. Doesn't matter if he graduated or not. There's something unique[ly disorienting] about being the first person in your family to go to college, as I'm sure your brother would attest to. Some schools ask specifically if you're the first in your family to graduate, in which case you could truthfully mark that. 8)

Yeah. You're right! It makes sense.

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Postby call-me-bubbles » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:18 pm

Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

R. Jeeves

Gold

Postby R. Jeeves » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:51 pm

lol ok so i actually just switched to TNR. I was struggling to tighten my PS to fit it in 2 pages, and it turns out using calibri made it like 5 lines longer. :oops: :oops:

Baby Gaga

Bronze

Postby Baby Gaga » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:05 pm

R. Jeeves wrote:lol ok so i actually just switched to TNR. I was struggling to tighten my PS to fit it in 2 pages, and it turns out using calibri made it like 5 lines longer. :oops: :oops:

Kopetz

Bronze

Postby Kopetz » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:56 pm

Baby Gaga wrote:
R. Jeeves wrote:lol ok so i actually just switched to TNR. I was struggling to tighten my PS to fit it in 2 pages, and it turns out using calibri made it like 5 lines longer. :oops: :oops:

[one of us.jpg]

:lol:

Hennessy

Gold

Postby Hennessy » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:43 am

Y'all my professor I requested an LOR from will NOT respond to me. It's been like a week. Starting to panic.

Hennessy

Gold

Postby Hennessy » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:46 am

Also we need a new poll.

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:48 pm

HennessyVSOP wrote:Y'all my professor I requested an LOR from will NOT respond to me. It's been like a week. Starting to panic.

This just happened to me. He agreed to write my LOR on July 5th. I emailed him on August 8th and sept 6th but didn't get a response either time. I left him a message on his office line last week and he just emailed me today apologizing for not responding and saying the letter will be uploaded soon.

Are there other people you can ask? I didn't have anyone which is why I was freaking out so much but definitely ask someone else ASAP if needed. Honestly my next step was to call the department secretary and make an appointment with him. I was polite the whole time and kept saying stuff like "I am sorry for bothering you. I don't want to rush you at all I just want to make sure my correspondence is making it to you and that this letter is something you still feel like you can commit to writing" (obviously worded better). He didn't get upset or feel rushed based on his email back to me...he was apologetic for not responding sooner.

Good luck!! I know how nerve wracking it is.

Hennessy

Gold

Postby Hennessy » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:56 pm

ashrice13 wrote:
HennessyVSOP wrote:Y'all my professor I requested an LOR from will NOT respond to me. It's been like a week. Starting to panic.

This just happened to me. He agreed to write my LOR on July 5th. I emailed him on August 8th and sept 6th but didn't get a response either time. I left him a message on his office line last week and he just emailed me today apologizing for not responding and saying the letter will be uploaded soon.

Are there other people you can ask? I didn't have anyone which is why I was freaking out so much but definitely ask someone else ASAP if needed. Honestly my next step was to call the department secretary and make an appointment with him. I was polite the whole time and kept saying stuff like "I am sorry for bothering you. I don't want to rush you at all I just want to make sure my correspondence is making it to you and that this letter is something you still feel like you can commit to writing" (obviously worded better). He didn't get upset or feel rushed based on his email back to me...he was apologetic for not responding sooner.

Nope, she finally responded.

She says to send her my resume, personal statement, 2 page "why law school" statement, and my favorite paper from her class and a (new) counter-response to that paper.

I should have expected this - she has J.D., LLM, Ph.D., and M.Ed.

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:40 pm

HennessyVSOP wrote:Nope, she finally responded.

She says to send her my resume, personal statement, 2 page "why law school" statement, and my favorite paper from her class and a (new) counter-response to that paper.

Dude. That's rough. At least she responded though. The up side is also that you're peobably getting a really personal LOR

HaveMercy

New

Postby HaveMercy » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:16 pm

Should I put small jobs (e.g. Princeton Review Campus Ambassador) on my resume or just leave my summer internships?

Please don't quote :)

Schneidersbetter

Bronze

Postby Schneidersbetter » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:56 pm

HennessyVSOP wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:

Holy crap. She either has zero humanity or is freaking hysterical...

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Postby call-me-bubbles » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:54 pm

Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TexasENG

Silver

Postby TexasENG » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:03 pm

Last edited by TexasENG on Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:05 pm

I had one prof demand I take lsat class for a LOR. Then said he'd half ass the letter if I didn't apply to enough ttt schools

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:35 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:I had one prof demand I take lsat class for a LOR. Then said he'd half ass the letter if I didn't apply to enough ttt schools

wtf

HaveMercy

New

Postby HaveMercy » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:52 pm

Last minute question: How long is a diversity statement supposed to be? I wrote mine 2-pages double spaced but now I just read that they have to be a page only. Can someone please answer this!!

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:18 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:I had one prof demand I take lsat class for a LOR. Then said he'd half ass the letter if I didn't apply to enough ttt schools

I have no idea what purpose those requirements are supposed to serve.

Bob loblaw law blog

Bronze

Postby Bob loblaw law blog » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:24 pm

TheMikey wrote:

wtf

Seriously... If it's not too late, try to find someone else. I doubt a great LOR is coming from either of those. In fact they may have been trying to get you to find someone else by putting up such absurd requirements(at least the LSAT class one.) Does your undergrad have an "Lsat class"? (mine does but it's not labeled as such, a "critical thinking" class that happens to be extremely helpful for LSAT formal logic and LR in general)

The TTT schools thing is just flat-out strange. Did he/she go to one of them or something?

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Postby call-me-bubbles » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:01 am

Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:38 am

Schneidersbetter wrote:
HennessyVSOP wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:

Holy crap. She either has zero humanity or is freaking hysterical...

email back:

"girl stop playin!"

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:13 am

Jeez, I understand asking for maybe a paper that you did in her class and your resume, but writing a response to that paper and a why law school essay???? The fuck. Just casually ask henny why he wants to go to law school. There's no need for an additional essay wtf

Hennessy

Gold

Postby Hennessy » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:54 am

Naw she's great. I was a mediocre student in UG, I got C+/B- in her classes, I think she just wants to tailor my LOR a little bit.

Doesn't hurt that I'm applying to LS at the same (very small) UG I attended - getting a personalized letter from a department head is pretty good.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?